Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Todd McShay 2017 NFL Mock Draft 2.0: Colts are Cooking

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18632945/todd-mcshay-2017-nfl-mock-draft-20

15. Indianapolis Colts, 8-8

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Protecting and supporting Andrew Luck is priority No. 1 for the Colts, but drafting more O-linemen (they picked four last year) isn't the only way to do that. Indy can't bank on RB Frank Gore, who turns 34 in May, to continue to defy the odds. Cook, the No. 8 player on our board, is an explosive runner and a weapon in the passing game. He loves the game, too.

Thoughts?

Seems like every second mock draft nowadays is mocking Cook to the Colts. I'm starting to get a Ryan Kelly feeling with this one - just 2 months before the draft rather than 2 weeks before the draft when everybody started mocking Kelly to us.

Here's the rest of the mock draft:

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Cleveland Browns, 1-15

Myles Garrett, OLB/DE, Texas A&M

sf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. San Francisco 49ers, 2-14

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Chicago Bears, 3-13

Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

jac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 3-13

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Tennessee Titans, 9-7 (from Rams)

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Jets, 5-11

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

sd.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Los Angeles Chargers, 5-11

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Carolina Panthers, 6-10

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Cincinnati Bengals, 6-9-1

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Buffalo Bills, 7-9

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. New Orleans Saints, 7-9

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

12. Cleveland Browns, 1-15 (from Eagles)

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. Arizona Cardinals, 7-8-1

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. Philadelphia Eagles, 7-9 (from Vikings)

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. Indianapolis Colts, 8-8

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Baltimore Ravens, 8-8

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

was.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Washington Redskins, 8-7-1

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Tennessee Titans, 9-7

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 9-7

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

den.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Denver Broncos, 9-7

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Detroit Lions, 9-7

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Miami Dolphins, 10-6

David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. New York Giants, 11-5

Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA

oak.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Oakland Raiders, 12-4

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. Houston Texans, 9-7

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Seattle Seahawks, 10-5-1

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Kansas City Chiefs, 12-4

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. Dallas Cowboys, 13-3

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. Green Bay Packers, 10-6

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

30. Pittsburgh Steelers, 11-5

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Atlanta Falcons, 11-5

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. New England Patriots, 14-2

Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

I'd have absolutely NO problem with Cook....he's a homerun hitter this team hasn't had in years and might be too much to pass up. When's the last time D's have had to respect the run game of the Colts? That'll make Luck's life easier. Plus Cook could turn those 7-10 yard runs Gore got into 20+ yard runs. Keeping the offensive on the field and the D off the field is another way to help the D...besides just drafting D talent (which is still very much needed).

Ballard is gonna send someone (he trust ) to (i'm not sure what is the word for looking all over the lifestyle, history, character,etc ) scout Mixon(he did it himself with a great CB Peters) if he cleans out he is gonna take him with a 3rd or even a 2nd, i'mg thinking even if Cook is BPA Barnett isn't gonna be too far and Barnett would be a great choice.

Yeah.....   Cook mocked to the Colts --- AGAIN --- shows it isn't so far fetched.   

He's a top-10 player in this draft and he'd clearly help the Colts.     You can take pressure off a defense by keeping them off the field.

That said.....     I'm not sure I see this happening,  even if he's still on the board.     I believe it when I see it.

53 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Passing on Barnett for a halfback? Qwut?

I like Barnett but I've heard he's more of a 4-3 end l. I think defense is the way to go. This class has talent in the later rounds for RB.  If they did draft cook I wouldn't hate it though because I believe he's a game changer but D is needed more. I pray Thomas falls to the Colts

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.....   Cook mocked to the Colts --- AGAIN --- shows it isn't so far fetched.   

He's a top-10 player in this draft and he'd clearly help the Colts.     You can take pressure off a defense by keeping them off the field.

That said.....     I'm not sure I see this happening,  even if he's still on the board.     I believe it when I see it.

I just don't know why anyone would ever think it's far'fetched. I fully understand preferring going defense there, but we do really need a new, young running back for the future and a lot of scouts seem to think Cook is a top 10 talent who might be there at the 15th pick. Seems like a pretty good value, and unlike Dorsett, he's not even really a luxury pick, we do need a running back. If we can get a pass rusher in free agency, I'd warm up big time to taking Cook.

I'm all about going defense in the first round. However I wouldn't be upset if the Colts took Cook. He'll work nice in our offense. 

Gotta believe that Irsay is tired of watching other teams snatch up young franchise backs. Eventually the Colts have to get one of their own.

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

In this scenario if Indy can't trade down I'd be fine with Cook since he is the best player available. I would hope one of Lattimore, Thomas, or Foster would be available though.

I'm not sold on Thomas, but if Lattimore or Foster fell I'd freak like those kids who got that N64 for Christmas.

With Ballard in play, I would NOT be surprised if we snatch up Cook if he is still on the board when we pick. Ballard's mindset, according to his quotes, is clear: BUILD and DEVELOP a top tier team and not BUY a team. 

With that in mind, drafting a top 10 talent at pick #15 to a team that has an aging RB (who might or might not last another full season, let alone be very effective. No offense to Gore (I love the guy and what he brings to our team) but we need a RB to pair up with Luck to set up the offense for years to come. Not to mention: pass rusher is HARD to hit in the first round past the top 10 picks. RBs like Fournette and Cook are not as risky in the eyes of most scouts. Of course Ballard knows we need to beef up the defense and you can bet that if he takes a RB at the 1st he is gonna focus on defense the rest of the draft. 

On a side note, a Cook, Gore, Turbin backfield would be hella awkward and loaded. Cook, being a 1st round and big time talent, would play most downs no question along with 3rd down duties and then Gore (I would assume) would take over goal line situations because I doubt the team doesn't play Gore at all. Either way, its a good problem to have. 

I would be perfectly fine with a stud RB t o help take pressure off our QB who has been routinely getting beat up and injured as well.  Have the D game plan for more than one player.  I would love to get a top tier defensive player like Foster but if they aren't there go with the next best and it just might be Cook.

Fans that say this would be the worst and so on... get ready for disappointment because it is very possible.

44 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I'm not sold on Thomas, but if Lattimore or Foster fell I'd freak like those kids who got that N64 for Christmas.

Why aren't you sold on Solomon Thomas? Is it simply the scheme fit? Players like Thomas you find ways to allow him to use his talents. If you have to alter the scheme a bit to create opportunities for him, you do it.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Why aren't you sold on Solomon Thomas? Is it simply the scheme fit? Players like Thomas you find ways to allow him to use his talents. If you have to alter the scheme a bit to create opportunities for him, you do it.

What position would he play on our defense? I like him but he's not ideal at OLB and is too small to play DE. 

I like Solomon Thomos alot but I feel his best fit would be a 4-3DE, or playing on the interior in a 1 Gap scheme like what we use to do under Dungy. High effort guy ideal for shooting gaps.  I have some questions about strength playing head up.  He could play on the interior of our scheme I think but he'd have to add a few lbs and some muscle.  My thoughts could be subject to change as I learn more, but that's about where I'm at as of today. 

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Solomon Thomos alot but I feel his best fit would be a 4-3DE, or playing on the interior in a 1 Gap scheme like what we use to do under Dungy. High effort guy ideal for shooting gaps.  I have some questions about strength playing head up.  He could play on the interior of our scheme I think but he'd have to add a few lbs and some muscle.  My thoughts could be subject to change as I learn more, but that's about where I'm at as of today. 

You do know once Henry left he took his spot in the starting lineup. He can play a 4-3 or 3-4.

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

20170208_121751.png

23 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

You do know once Henry left he took his spot in the starting lineup. He can play a 4-3 or 3-4.

23 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

My question was size for a scheme fit in our defense.   Has nothing to do with ability.  His current size is 275 so he'd have to bulk up for this scheme that we play.  You can see some strength issues as far as anchoring in some spots on film but it's nothing some added muscle and bulk wouldn't fix.  Issue issue is how much do you add that's not detrimental?   It's clear in Zierleins commentary he doesn't see Thomas as an OLB.  He sees him more as a defensive lineman which has been my contention the whole way.  If there are no plans to add 20-30lbs then I think a 4-3 DE is his best fit, or on the interior of a one gap defense like we used to play.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

My question was size for a scheme fit in our defense.   Has nothing to do with ability.  His current size is 275 so he'd have to bulk up for this scheme that we play.  You can see some strength issues as far as anchoring in some spots on film but it's nothing some added muscle and bulk wouldn't fix.  Issue issue is how much do you add that's not detrimental?   It's clear in Zierleins commentary he doesn't see Thomas as an OLB.  He sees him more as a defensive lineman which has been my contention the whole way.  If there are no plans to add 20-30lbs then I think a 4-3 DE is his best fit, or on the interior of a one gap defense like we used to play.

I think he has the ability to play both but your right I think he does need to add a little weight like 15 pounds. Compare to a JJ Watt, he's 296 6'5. Thomas 275 6'3. 

3 hours ago, SP_21 said:

What position would he play on our defense? I like him but he's not ideal at OLB and is too small to play DE. 

Everything that I read on him states that he is a fluid athlete so if he lost 10 pounds I could see him playing OLB. And I've also read where he has the frame to add 10-15 pounds and play DE. 

Cook seems like a good back...but I don't see him as a once in a decade back. Value will still be there later. If he was a baseball player I would say his WAR would be low...his production can be replaced. What is much harder to replace is a dominant pass rush/leader on defense. If a reallly good edge guy is there or Foster you take them. I think Ballard has seen in KC that you don't have to have a 1st rd back to win with. Later picks heck even Udfa can get it done. I mean it seems almost any back KC throws back there gets it done. But you eliminate your LBs with injuries like he saw with Houston and Johnson it will gut your defense. He also sees that teams are so smart now...even 1 shut down corner doesn't do a lot. Teams will scheme to get there playmakers open or will just target your weak link.  I hope his comments on the trenches is an indication on where he is going in this draft.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

While I won't go that far, I would say the ROI would be greater with a defensive play maker long term, if that is what you were leaning towards.

McShay doesn't even believe in taking a RB in the 1st.  

Let's hope this is the highest we draft in a long time...so now is the time to get that pass rusher...stud on defense. Maybe we find our Dwight Freeney this year. You can find one later in the draft but it seems like the value is earlier and earlier as teams build to rush the qb. We see it now...with Denver last year. Heck we know it's the only way to slow Brady just look at the first half. If your offense can get a lead you can release the hounds! I'd like to find a couple dogs for our front seven to go hunt with.

No way you can take Cook in our situation. When Williams, Takk, Harris on the board. That's crazy as all 3 of those guys...IMO are going to be game wreckers. Especially Tim Williams. But I'd love it if Zach Cunningham falls to the 2nd. If he does then we need to trade up for him IMO. He's got big time talent. Has the potential to be a top 10 ILB in the NFL IMO. But I think Cunningham ends up in the mid-late 1st.

I'm strongly against taking RBs in the first round.  A good OL can make an average RB look good.  Build your OL (which will have benefits in pass and run blocking) and you can find nearly any RB to play well behind them.  But a great RB can't always find room to run if the OL isn't blocking well for him.

7 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I think he has the ability to play both but your right I think he does need to add a little weight like 15 pounds. Compare to a JJ Watt, he's 296 6'5. Thomas 275 6'3. 

The comparison's of Wattt to Thomas were more along the lines of style of play and not physically.

Physically,  they are not close.    Watt is likely closer to 6'5" 1/2.    Thomas, I've heard is likely closer to 6'2" 1/2, maybe shorter.   Those three inches of height are huge.   They translate into longer arms for Watt and shorter for Thomas.     I think we're gong to find that the lengths of the arms (critically important)  are not close to being the same.       So, my hope for making Solly are likely not very good.      We won't know until official measurements at the Combine.

Believe me,  I'm a Stanford guy,  a big Solomon Thomas fan....    I'm just not sure he's a scheme fit for the Colts.

There's a saying in the scouting community....   "Need" is a terrible judge of "talent"....

Just because the Colts need a very good OLB,  that doesn't make the candidates very good players.

If the good draft websites are to be believed,  only McKinley or Barnett would be ranked somewhere near where we pick,  14/15.

Williams appears to have slipped and Harris is right around the same area.     Late 1st to early 2nd.

McKinley may be hurt bad enough to scare off some teams.     Barnett might not be flexible enough to be an OLB,  rather than a DE.

Looking for a pass rush in R1,  which I want more than anything,   we might just get screwed.

No need to take a player ranked in the 30's when we're picking 14/15.      Don't reach.     Follow the board.

Reaching is when you make mistakes.      This is why I've been saying for nearly 5 years that drafting is not as easy as it might seem sitting at home watching on TV.

Yeah, I was thinking Cook could be in play. He's basically the only offensive player I think we may take as Fournette should be gone. Pretty sure Cook will be a hit, and it's nice to hit on your 1st rounder, but we do need a defensive stud. As NCF said, the OLB's aren't very good in our range, I'd avoid them altogether. Guys like Myles Garrett, Jonathon Allen, and Rueben Foster won't fall to us (Foster has a slim shot). I'd consider going Jaml Adams if he was there, and get that elite safety. I think CB's are plentiful in the draft. Taco is a reach, TJ Watt I love, but he's a reach. Zach Cunningham is at a position we need, but a reach. The three guys I'm down too for now are Jamal Adams, Solomon Thomas, and Dalvin Cook. I think all three would be great picks for us.