Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard radio interview 02/06/17

Ratking

Thanks for the upload! The (somewhat) surprising part where he genuinely complimented the job Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn have done really got me quite a bit more optimistic about the vision he has for this ball club. He sounded like a very receptive and perceptive manager. I think Luck and he will get along very well. Here's hoping Chuck learned as much as could about coaching the game of football from last night.

Thanks for posting. That was a very good interview, no awkward moments. 

I like his philosophy of speed and size, especially on defense. I also like he acknowledged our strength on the left side of the oline, but kind of hinted we need to "grow" on top of Clark and Haeg.

I think that we see a change at RG, and I can see Clark starting at RT after another off season with the best Oline coach in football. 

In short, I Like the guy, and I am not worried at all at this point. I think that he might have some growing pains, but in the end I think he will turn this defense around. 

2 hours ago, xjxdarren said:

Thanks for the upload! The (somewhat) surprising part where he genuinely complimented the job Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn have done really got me quite a bit more optimistic about the vision he has for this ball club. He sounded like a very receptive and perceptive manager. I think Luck and he will get along very well. Here's hoping Chuck learned as much as could about coaching the game of football from last night.

He didn't learn from Pete Carroll.........Well, Dan Quinn never at least......

Loved this interview.  He said this is a passing league, where Pagano always says run the ball and stop the run.  That's interesting.  Loves linemen, always looking.  Analytics guy, which is odd coming from a guy who has a such a homespun feel to him.  Linebackers need to be 1-3 down guys, covering space, which might not bode well for Morrison.  Acts hesitant about Haeg and Clark, maybe because of youth.  Luck needs weapons?  We get a slight window into his brutal honesty, in that he isn't overly bragging and gushing over Anyone, not even Luck.  You can feel his desire to help surround Luck with help.  Finally, he's a people person.   He is a guy that paid his dues, didn't burn bridges and is ready to be a GM.  I just don't think  Grigson was ready.

Tried to put myself in the shoes of the players and staff: this guy seems like a breath of fresh air compared to Grigson. While I agree this is a passing league, stopping the run on defense and running the ball on offense can't be discounted and I'm sure those aspects won't be ignored. I was impressed by how he summarized his philosophy: get as many big, fast playmakers as you can. Here's hoping 2017 will be the start of something big in Indy! GO COLTS!

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Loved this interview.  He said this is a passing league, where Pagano always says run the ball and stop the run.  That's interesting.  Loves linemen, always looking.  Analytics guy, which is odd coming from a guy who has a such a homespun feel to him.  Linebackers need to be 1-3 down guys, covering space, which might not bode well for Morrison.  Acts hesitant about Haeg and Clark, maybe because of youth.  Luck needs weapons?  We get a slight window into his brutal honesty, in that he isn't overly bragging and gushing over Anyone, not even Luck.  You can feel his desire to help surround Luck with help.  Finally, he's a people person.   He is a guy that paid his dues, didn't burn bridges and is ready to be a GM.  I just don't think  Grigson was ready.

Nice assessment.  I can see him being active in FA more than people think.  Luck needs weapons?  That, to me, says RB and his comments on the OL suggest adding a OL in FA.  I believe him when he says draft BPA so I would leave everything on the table when it comes to our 1st. pick.  I think our 1st. pick is anybody's guess and what we do in FA could impact it greatly.  He likes his players tall, big, and fast.  I like this guy.  Can't wait to see him get going. 

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Tried to put myself in the shoes of the players and staff: this guy seems like a breath of fresh air compared to Grigson. While I agree this is a passing league, stopping the run on defense and running the ball on offense can't be discounted and I'm sure those aspects won't be ignored. I was impressed by how he summarized his philosophy: get as many big, fast playmakers as you can. Here's hoping 2017 will be the start of something big in Indy! GO COLTS!

I think his comments on "Passing League" are meant to inform as to what type of personnel you need to have coming from the defensive perspective.  Teams prefer to pass more often in todays game because it's easier to pick up penalty flags and teams can't maul you like they used to so it's more favorable to pass.  He kept mentioning "I'm a height, weight, speed guy" and stuff like "Your backers need to be able to play all 3 downs"(I started wondering about Morrison with these comments)   I don't think he was taking away from the importance of being able to run the football well or stop the run.

I didn't notice the annoying lip smack during the interview, however being told  "listen...." to begin every reply became somewhat annoying. (Not picking on him, just being sarcastic)

I like him.  There is really nothing to not like so far, he seems to already have a pretty good grip on things in Indy.  I am sure he will do nothing but improve this team in 17.

I am anxious for F.A. and the draft.

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Yessir! Love that he say so about linebackers, but that means we need to clean house with most of the garbage we have at ILB now. 

Putting a linebacker in that can't do it all fairly well is just something any decent OC will exploit while he laugh in joy.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

What I can't figure out is why Grigson didn't get that.

Oh well, water under the bridge and all that...

oh he tried, A LOT actually, unfortunately most didn't work out due to injury or just not very good. To his credit he did appear to nail the O line in the last draft. Too little too late though for him.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Will you be saying that when he picks Cook in the first round?

If he picked Cook I wouldn't be upset. That would help the team as a whole. Frank isn't what this team needs. Lots of holes that a younger back could've took runs to the house. Either way D or O I'm fine with the draft.

6 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

'Its always about your fronts'

That's music for my ears.

Yes, to me that's the biggest takeaway from the interview. It's the core of his philosophy from which everything else follows. 

The other takeaway, for me, is his admission that this is a passing league, which I also completely agree with. It's great to be able to stop the run, but even more than that, I think you have to disrupt the passing game. This is particularly true when you consider the types of QBs that tend to make it deep into the post-season--guys like Brady, Rogers, Newton, and (moving forward) Prescott. 

40 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Based on the interview the FA's I can see him focusing on;  Zietler. Poe, Brown and Ingram or Perry.  I'm not saying he gets four players but I can see three. 

You do know other teams will be interested as well? If we get one of those we will probably be lucky......

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Will you eat crow when he doesnt?

No.  There is no crow for me to eat on this.  Not for a single second have I advocated that they take Cook.  Unless you have the first pick and Andrew Luck is available, I am smart enough to not get locked into anything with the draft.  

I have simply stated that I won't be surprised if they do because of his BPA philosophy. If Cook is there, or any other offensive player for that matter and that guy is the highest rated player on their board, unless they trade back,  they will draft offense.  Why do all that scouting to set your board and they go away from it at decision time?

You on the other hand have very demonstratively stated they will only take defense because that is where the bigger needs are.  That is a method of drafting is called reaching for need.  And good drafting teams don't do that.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

What I can't figure out is why Grigson didn't get that.

Oh well, water under the bridge and all that...

Besides his comments about ILBs needing to be good in space, I don't think Ballard said anything that Grigson didn't say about building a team, including the importance of being good upfront. Grigson preached building the trenches -- just like every front office guy does. He just didn't do a good job of it.

I get that everyone's happy Grigson is gone and happy with Ballard, but there's nothing special about what he's saying. What's important is what he actually does. And he hasn't done anything, yet.

27 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

No.  There is no crow for me to eat on this.  Not for a single second have I advocated that they take Cook.  Unless you have the first pick and Andrew Luck is available, I am smart enough to not get locked into anything with the draft.  

I have simply stated that I won't be surprised if they do because of his BPA philosophy. If Cook is there, or any other offensive player for that matter and that guy is the highest rated player on their board, unless they trade back,  they will draft offense.  Why do all that scouting to set your board and they go away from it at decision time?

You on the other hand have very demonstratively stated they will only take defense because that is where the bigger needs are.  That is a method of drafting is called reaching for need.  And good drafting teams don't do that.

Cheeeaaaahhhhhhh

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Besides his comments about ILBs needing to be good in space, I don't think Ballard said anything that Grigson didn't say about building a team, including the importance of being good upfront. Grigson preached building the trenches -- just like every front office guy does. He just didn't do a good job of it.

I get that everyone's happy Grigson is gone and happy with Ballard, but there's nothing special about what he's saying. What's important is what he actually does. And he hasn't done anything, yet.

That's true, everyone who ever got a GM job obviously talked a good game.

I just want to clear up what I said about Grigson, and I said this every year he was here.  When you have a young franchise QB, you sell out to protect him.  Yes he brought in one proven RT and paid him well, but every other guy he brought in was a journeyman.  And once you realize the linemen you drafted weren't going to do the job, you find experience FAs who can.  They were out there, money could have been spent on them rather than bringing in FA WRs.

It's a moot point and I'm venting.  I will say that Grigson finally did start to see the light with Mewhort and last years draft. 

58 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Yes, to me that's the biggest takeaway from the interview. It's the core of his philosophy from which everything else follows. 

The other takeaway, for me, is his admission that this is a passing league, which I also completely agree with. It's great to be able to stop the run, but even more than that, I think you have to disrupt the passing game. This is particularly true when you consider the types of QBs that tend to make it deep into the post-season--guys like Brady, Rogers, Newton, and (moving forward) Prescott. 

Everyone knows it's a passing league.  Chuck saying "run the ball, stop the run" doesn't mean he is oblivious to that fact.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I will be happy and excited about his comments.

That's fine. I just wonder why people are acting like he's saying anything that's special. 

I'm very excited about Ballard. By the time the process was winding down, he was my favorite candidate (Paton started off at the top of my list, with Ballard #2). I think he can do really good things. I like his temperament, from what I can see. I look forward to seeing what happens.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's fine. I just wonder why people are acting like he's saying anything that's special. 

I'm very excited about Ballard. By the time the process was winding down, he was my favorite candidate (Paton started off at the top of my list, with Ballard #2). I think he can do really good things. I like his temperament, from what I can see. I look forward to seeing what happens.

I think a lot of that has to do with the way Grigson rubbed everyone wrong..... his poor decisions and general attitude.  Not to mention he really didn't get a lot of love from others around the league where just the opposite  seems to be true with Ballard.  

So we hear (not here but hear) him speaking the way he does and feel his excitement .... naturally makes us think he is going to do well.  He seems to be more like "us" than someone who seems to be all about themselves.  Just my thoughts.