Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Alex Marvez Pagano will be back as HC in 2017 (merge)

HungarianColtsFan

Here is my look into the crystal ball for the future of the Colts. 

Pagrigson go out and add a couple decent players on defense in FA and add a couple more via the draft. The defense moves closer to being average.  This improvement,  plus the fact that the colts have the easiest schedule in the league next year (based on last year's win %)  the colts win 10-11 games and get in the playoffs,  maybe win a game, maybe not.  Based on this "successful" season,  pagrigson stay with increased job security.  

The colts continue this pattern for lucks prime years.  They are the GB Packers,  win 10-11 per year but never really a serious threat in the playoffs.  

Hope I'm wrong but that's what I see under Pagrigson.  

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm ok with this.  We had a VERY good offense overall last year.  And just not enough defensive presence to make a top 1/2 defense in the NFL.  Some solid drafting at the LB'er positions, another Good corner, and a playmaker at RB would be solid for this team.  

I was pleasently happy (not surprised) that the o-line improved as the year went on.  We had a top passing attack, and adequate running game.

Defensively, we lack Linebacker play. to pressure the QB, and to add more coverage.  both compliment the other.  

I am not really worried as much about defending the run, i honestly think we have the personel for that already, just need them healthy, and more experiensed.  (a lot of 1-2 year guys on defense right now.)

Give us a couple guys, that's it..2-3 KEY playmakers,..and we're in this easily.

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think Cleveland has that locked up, not to mention the 13 teams that finished with worse records than us..

When that draft was you most recent one, it shows improvement. Grigson was a rookie GM coming in and happened to have a good 1st draft. This most recent draft shows that he's learned and did a much better job.

1) Nowhere near ready. You have to realize that Elway had a decade of Front Office experience before stepping into his current role.

2. Saban is a legendary college HC and was a terrible NFL HC. Hard pass. Harbaugh isn't leaving. Stop the obsession.

3. You don't fire coordinators after just one season. That's shortsighted and does more harm than help. It takes years for players to fully learn a scheme.

Anyone upset at this news has nobody to blame but yourselves for hyping up the possibility of them getting fired, despite Irsay saying a few weeks ago that he wasn't going to make changes.

I believe that is why he never said anything. He already addressed it and it's not his fault that you torch and pitchfork holders just didn't like what you heard and assumed you'd later get the answer you wanted to hear.

It makes perfect sense not to fire them this year, just 1 season removed from their extensions. If he wanted to fire them, last season would have been it. I do believe that if they can't get it done next season, they're gone.

Still doesn't make up for the lackluster decisions he has made as GM pal.

Last year everyone's sources "inside the Colts" said they would be fired. Didn't happen. Now there is one report from someone with a source "inside the Colts" and everyone believes it. 

Fool me once, shame on you...and you know the rest. 

1 hour ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

It happens. I'm rather ambivalent with this news.

On one hand Pagano is a good guy and apparently players like him, continuity is important. On the other hand he is said to be a defense guru, his Ds here are among worse ones (NB he isn't working with players like Nagata or Ray Lewis). The team is widely inconsistent too. I'm a fence sitter...we shall see how it pans out.

We know where sort of speak good or nice guys finish.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Hate to say I told you so, but ya'll didn't listen.  This letdown you feel is your own fault.  I'll take your silence as "You were right, OPC."

Thanks guys.  I'm glad finally came to your senses.

It's also my fault that I listened to my mom and believed in Sanata Claus, have hated Xmas ever since. 

11 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Last year everyone's sources "inside the Colts" said they would be fired. Didn't happen. Now there is one report from someone with a source "inside the Colts" and everyone believes it. 

Fool me once, shame on you...and you know the rest. 

I think that the sources were correct last year though -  the plan was to fired pagrigson until the 11th hour meeting and irsays change of heart. 

Edited by Somewhere ovr the Waynebow
Typo

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

It's also my fault that I listened to my mom and believed in Sanata Claus, have hated Xmas ever since. 

I would never never liken someones mother to the media.  That's just wrong!

I also wouldn't liken everyone here to a 5 year old who is impressionable enough to believe in Santa, but then again, there are plenty here who fit the bill.

Just now, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I think that the sources were correct last year though -  the plan was to fired pagrigson until the 11th hour meeting and irsays change of heat.  

Those last 2 meaningless wins and this year's Jags win changed the outcome. 

For or those who were happy about beating the Jags and wanted a new regime.....

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I also wouldn't liken everyone here to a 5 year old who is impressionable enough to believe in Santa, but then again, there are plenty here who fit the bill.

I don't know man, I've met some shady moms.

Knew it. The speculation from all the silence was all just false hope

Gee, wouldn't it be a shame if there were multiple people who told you that before now?

Some kind of online gathering place for fans to talk about the team. Like a public forum with people who had said "Pagano said no changes, there have been no changes, and he's just not repeating himself because you can't make the deduction yourself".

What a world that would be to live in...

10 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Those last 2 meaningless wins and this year's Jags win changed the outcome. 

For or those who were happy about beating the Jags and wanted a new regime.....

I agree with you regarding last year.  But for this year,  more than the Jacksonville win,  I think the offensive line improvement is what did it. Now he thinks the staff is learning from their mistakes.  Pagano is still the same old inconsistent Pagano.  Maybe Grigson has figured it out (had a good draft)  but Pagano has not and never  will.  

Hate to say I told you so, but ya'll didn't listen.  This letdown you feel is your own fault.  I'll take your silence as "You were right, OPC."

Thanks guys.  I'm glad finally came to your senses.

If I could bathe in this post I would.

But just read through this thread. People are STILL not buying it.

I swear to god we're going to be in week 3 next season and there's still gonna be some imbeciles around here going "Irsay never said he wasn't firing him, he needs to make a decision!" Those people are just playing the waiting game now. Pagano could go on to become the greatest coach in NFL history, win the next 20 Super Bowls for us, but when Jim dismisses him they will finally get their moment in the sun and be all "I told you so! He was going to fire him all along!"

4 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I agree with you regarding last year.  But for this year,  more than the Jacksonville win,  I think the offensive line improvement is what did it. Now he thinks the staff is learning from their mistakes.  Pagano is still the same old inconsistent Pagano.  Maybe Grigson has figured it out (had a good draft)  but Pagano has not and never  will.  

There's no talent on the defense though. Unless they kill it in FA and the draft there's no reason outside of Rob's of injuries everywhere else to hope that the team will improve. I can't imagine there will be any major coaching changes either.

Just now, John Waylon said:

I swear to god we're going to be in week 3 next season and there's still gonna be some imbeciles around here going "Irsay never said he wasn't firing him, he needs to make a decision!" Those people are just playing the waiting game now. Pagano could go on to become the greatest coach in NFL history, win the next 20 Super Bowls for us, but when Jim dismisses him they will finally get their moment in the sun and be all "I told you so! He was going to fire him all along!"

Seriously though who cares? Why do you care if other people don't want to believe in reality? That's no skin off of your back. Laugh, mute, and move on.

Just now, John Waylon said:

Another 0-2 start to the season and we may be right back here!

I can't imagine there will be any major coaching changes either.

They fired the whole staff after last season. Probably not gonna do it again this year too

Seriously though who cares? Why do you care if other people don't want to believe in reality? That's no skin off of your back. Laugh, mute, and move on.

It's just sad. These are the people amongst us out in the real world. If that's the kind of fog they like to live in, what the hell kind of stuff are these folks in charge of at their jobs? Is the same guy who needs his hand held and this situation thoroughly explained to the same guy in charge of keeping us all safe?

It's pretty scary when you stop and think about it.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It would not surprise me in the least.  They say that for those who don't want to believe, no amount of proof is possible.  Fitting really.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It's just sad. These are the people amongst us out in the real world. If that's the kind of fog they like to live in, what the hell kind of stuff are these folks in charge of at their jobs? Is the same guy who needs his hand held and this situation thoroughly explained to the same guy in charge of keeping us all safe?

I just stay away from Wal Mart, that helps me avoid most of those guys out in the wild.

I'm not surprised both are returning. I felt that Irsay was looking to see if he can get an upgrade/big name but was unlikely to get it. 

My biggest concern with keeping Grigson/Pagano is having them make free agent and draft decisions again. The Colts are set to have around $60 million (probably more after cuts) in cap space. The draft is supposed to be strong with front 7 prospects. Hopefully, we don't look back in 2-3 years and say that the 2017 additions were mostly a waste.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

You think people have the patience to work hard and move up the ladder at those jobs you speak of? Unlikely. Don't worry too much. 

1 hour ago, TDewar1987 said:

Well, here goes. Let's all just hope they nail the draft and FA and get some game changers. I think Pags would be alright if he had some good talent on defense besides Vontae Davis and Eric Walden having a year. 

This is literally all I care about. Get some freaking good defensive players. I swear I won't be a fan of this team anymore if griggles takes a RB in the 1st. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

34 minutes ago, corgi said:

32 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ummm excuse me but I definitely have seen my mommy missing Santa Claus.  She must not have told dad though...