Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Alex Marvez Pagano will be back as HC in 2017 (merge)

HungarianColtsFan

1 hour ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

The issues I have with Pagano honestly don't have anything to do with the defense.  It's the slow starts,  general inconsistency,  poor game management (weird timeouts)  and overall conservative mindset. We've heard all along that he is too soft with the players,  and we've got another report this off-season saying that the team lacks accountability and the players want more.  

That's all reason enough to move on from him in my eyes.  I agree the defensive issues aren't entirely on him,  however,  they need to be more aggressive.  They bltized much more (and more creativity)  under manusky than under Monachino (Pagano's guy.)  

That's what's most worrisome to me.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ESPN has followed up with this on the front page of their site: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18418075/indianapolis-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-return-sixth-season-2017.

Honestly, this makes sense. We're one year into a reboot of how things work/mostly new coaching staff. The roster is getting younger. If we do well in the upcoming draft (on defense) we will have a good team.

38 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'll believe it when I hear it from Irsay. 

Im still holding out hope for Saban.

You won't hear anything. Local news said they reached out and was told there was no need for an announcement because they are under contract. 

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I've said for a while now neither will be fired 1 year into being re-signed and Irsay make his continuity speech. These guys are here for the remainder of there contracts

Easier to fire then next year or the year after. Less money to eat. Worst case scenario, the team continues to play poorly and the Colts keep getting better draft position until they build a decent young team.

I have been a supporter of Irsay till now....  but this is truly the definition of insanity...   Doing the same crap and expecting different results".  Colts will have to try to totally build thru the draft, because no FA worth anything is going to want to come play in Indy.  It has turned into a real side show, clown act.  :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

You won't hear anything. Local news said they reached out and was told there was no need for an announcement because they are under contract. 

So the Colts saying " no need for an announcement because they are under contract" is what is now being reported as "they will both return?" I don't see that as a "they will both be back" definitive statement at all. I interpret it as a way of saying we're not going to make any announcement unless changes are made, and as of right now we have not made any.

I'm not saying this as someone who's looking for changes. Just an unbiased interpretation. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Why does Irsay need to say anything in the first place?  He never told anybody he was firing his coaches any way.

If he didn't have a reputation of tweeting like a 16 year old girl I don't think anyone would think anything of the silence.

12 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

ESPN has followed up with this on the front page of their site: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18418075/indianapolis-colts-coach-chuck-pagano-return-sixth-season-2017.

Honestly, this makes sense. We're one year into a reboot of how things work/mostly new coaching staff. The roster is getting younger. If we do well in the upcoming draft (on defense) we will have a good team.

This Poster Has It Right.... Just Need Time

6 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I have been a supporter of Irsay till now....  but this is truly the definition of insanity...   Doing the same crap and expecting different results".  Colts will have to try to totally build thru the draft, because no FA worth anything is going to want to come play in Indy.  It has turned into a real side show, clown act.  :facepalm:

I've seen several posts making this point so sorry for honing in on this one. I don't think we are doing the same thing and expecting different results. The philosophy of team construction and assistant coaches has changed, as has our drafting strategy. If we want to build mainly through the draft that would be fine by me, get cheaper, younger talent as long as we draft well. 

I think Andrew Luck is enough to lure free agents here. They will be playing on a team with a great quarterback while in a division they can win. I think a lot of players would want to come here for that. Chuck is also always categorized as a player's coach, I'm sure people would like to come play for him.

Just now, krunk said:

Why does Irsay need to say anything in the first place?  He never told anybody he was firing his coaches any way.

Agree completely. No need to tell us what we already know. They're under contract until he says otherwise. 

22 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You think people have the patience to work hard and move up the ladder at those jobs you speak of? Unlikely. Don't worry too much. 

The difference is, this is football - entertainment.  Has absolutely nothing to do with my employment.  Not sure how you think it's even remotely similar.

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

It happens. I'm rather ambivalent with this news.

On one hand Pagano is a good guy and apparently players like him, continuity is important. On the other hand he is said to be a defense guru, his Ds here are among worse ones (NB he isn't working with players like Nagata or Ray Lewis). The team is widely inconsistent too. I'm a fence sitter...we shall see how it pans out.

That's not always the case like guys like dungy great off was def guy

Belick great def was off guy just 2 examples 

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

To those saying we just need time for this reboot to work, haven't the last 5 years of bad coaching from Pagano shown you he has reached his peak and he won't improve?

I think the arguments being passed have less to do with waiting for the reboot.  The argument on side A is, Irsay said he wasn't anticipating coaching changes.  The side B argument was demanding Irsay come out and say whether he was going to make changes or not (after the initial comment he anticipated none).  And now side B is complainign no changes will be made and side A says, well we told you so because that's what Irsay said and not the speculative media or the hopes of fans wanting change.  I think both sides A and B want change, i'ts just one side took Irsay at his word and the other refused to accept the words from the mouth of the beast.

My feelings on Pagano are similar to my favorite CBB Team IU and their coach Tom Crean.  I think both are upstanding men, they are excellent "rah rah" guys.  Players love to play for them.  The one bugaboo for both is I believe they both struggle with the X's and O's and strategy side of coaching.  I am not saying I, or any of us could do better, but I don't think either one is up to par in that facet with the other coaches in their leagues. 

I do think talent has a lot to do with the defensive problems.  If Grigson and Irsay pony up some money for LB's and Pass rushers, we should be in far better shape too!

Here's to hoping we open up the pocketbook and march in a positive direction this off season.

28 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

This is literally all I care about. Get some freaking good defensive players. I swear I won't be a fan of this team anymore if griggles takes a RB in the 1st. 

I see us taking a RB, not in the first round though. Kevin Bowen keeps saying the draft is deep with running backs. I haven't looked much into it myself though. We need a good CB to pair with Davis and some good pass rushers. 

Just now, krunk said:

Irsay can remain silent. It just seems odd, at least in my opinion, that when there is heavy media speculation about the job security of your GM/HC that nothing is said from Irsay or the Colts.

I realize that 3-4 weeks ago Irsay said he wasn't anticipating making changes but I don't know what else he was supposed to say...he wasn't likely to say that he would look for a different GM/HC at that point.

Maybe the media was making up the speculation for the last couple of weeks.

I just find it odd that Irsay would allow all of the speculation to go on this week. The Browns, Lions, and Jets put an end to the speculation of the job security of their HC and/or GM. I didn't think it was that much of a stretch to think the Colts would do the same. That's just my opinion, though. In the end, Grigson/Pagano are under contract and it's Irsay's team so he run things how he wants.

i dont think we would be going through a ridiclous reboot if head case grigson wouldn have released the good young talent we already had for dinosaurs like cole,D jackson,walden,jones(who has done next to nothing)the list goes on just ready for 7 and 9 next year jeesh

Just now, ar7 said:

Irsay can remain silent. It just seems odd, at least in my opinion, that when there is heavy media speculation about the job security of your GM/HC that nothing is said from Irsay or the Colts.

I realize that 3-4 weeks ago Irsay said he wasn't anticipating making changes but I don't know what else he was supposed to say...he wasn't likely to say that he would look for a different GM/HC at that point.

Maybe the media was making up the speculation for the last couple of weeks.

I just find it odd that Irsay would allow all of the speculation to go on this week. The Browns, Lions, and Jets put an end to the speculation of the job security of their HC and/or GM. I didn't think it was that much of a stretch to think the Colts would do the same. That's just my opinion, though. In the end, Grigson/Pagano are under contract and it's Irsay's team so he run things how he wants.

I get your take on things.  However to me he never told anybody he was firing his coach.  The media makes up speculation and then they want you to respond to the mess that they make up.  They seem to have this blood thirst for wanting to force the guy into firing his coach.  I've felt ever since he decided to hire them back the medias been POed about it because they don't like to seem like they don't know what they are talking about.   I could be wrong but it seems that way.  They spent the entire 2016 season giving bad press on the Colts at every turn and angle.    Not that there aren't issues, but you could just kind of see the slant the whole season.

8 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'd believe in my boss too, if he let me get away with % and never held me accountable.

Players should have played hard every game without catched balls dropping, coming out flat, missing tackles and getting rolled on d.

7 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

I see us taking a RB, not in the first round though. Kevin Bowen keeps saying the draft is deep with running backs. I haven't looked much into it myself though. We need a good CB to pair with Davis and some good pass rushers. 

I'm seriously gonna be mad if we draft a rb with the 1st or 2nd pick. This defense isn't bad, it is terrible. 

Just now, JColts72 said:

Players should have played hard every game without catched balls dropping, coming out flat and getting rolled on d.

Yea, they should have. I agree, but if my boss isn't going to hold me accountable I'll just come in have fun and get my paycheck, lol.