Schefter Tweet about Colts Coaching Staff

Bravo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Not sure if this belongs in the Pagano and Grigson complaint threads or not.

Also not sure who "Those around Colts owner Jim Irsay" are.

Ill just leave this here.

Although I question if Schefter knows what he is talking about half the time, I would be surprised if what he tweeted wasn't true.  Common sense really. 

Well, I sincerely doubt that Irsay would be "very happy" with the teams performance in recent weeks, so it is kinda stating the obvious. It is, however, a good sign that the coaches are concerned about what is going to happen, because that means that Irsay expected more even though this was considered a rebuilding season.

20 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Seriously. He's a little tired of all the 1st round busts.

Edit: And the article I just read said, he might fire Pagano and keep grigson... what?! Lolwut

This is what I would expect. I would expect Chud to go and quite honestly, after watching this defense play this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see Monachino go as well but I won't be completely shocked to see him get a chance to do it another season, depending on how a new admin coming in views his learning process as a new d-coordinator. I 100% expect Grigson to stay on and if that occurs, I think its the 100% right decision to make at this point.

1 hour ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Saints could be shopping Sean Payton.. but I'm not willing to give up a high draft pick for a coach. God do I wish Harbaugh would come here.

It's all about how bad do they want it. Harbaugh can be had for the right price and terms. Michigan is losing basically their whole team . He never wanted to be a college coach anyway. He worked his way up to the pinnacle now he's back in college because  of differences with a front office who clearly don't know what they're doing. The Niners were the most talented team in the league just a few years ago. 

28 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Eh if something happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't. I don't expect any big changes other than roster related.

If big changes are coming to the roster why keep the guy that built it?

If the coaching staff goes, Grigson needs to go, too.   You don't waste three first round picks in three consecutive years (not counting Kelly and Luck) and then cast all of the blame on the coaches.  Coaches are to blame in their own right as it's their job to deal with the personnel they have, but the GM has a responsibility to provide the best personnel available.  

15 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This is what I would expect. I would expect Chud to go and quite honestly, after watching this defense play this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see Monachino go as well but I won't be completely shocked to see him get a chance to do it another season, depending on how a new admin coming in views his learning process as a new d-coordinator. I 100% expect Grigson to stay on and if that occurs, I think its the 100% right decision to make at this point.

Monachino had so little talent to work with. Best players were probably Geathers , Langford and Davis ? One played about a half season , another pretty much missed the whole year and Davis is declining and always nicked up . Grigson at this point in time appears to have had a very good 2016 draft , especially since Clark looks like he going to be a nice player.

IMOP I just do not see what all the hype is about Jim Harbaugh, I have seen what has happened to a organization once he has been their a few years. I Like the guy he is a good college coach, So I really would need a lot of convincing before I can see him as a Colts coach.  

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Monachino had so little talent to work with. Best players were probably Geathers , Langford and Davis ? One played about a half season , another pretty much missed the whole year and Davis is declining and always nicked up . Grigson at this point in time appears to have had a very good 2016 draft , especially since Clark looks like he going to be a nice player.

You are right, the defense had limited guys in the cupboard. It is really hard (for me anyway) to evaluate whether DC is above Monachino's talent level or whether it was absolutely a defense devoid of talent or whether even Chuck may have impeded some on game planning. I have no good or bad opinion on Monacino right now so I think it will be up to any new coach coming in to make the choice whether they feel his ability and progress as a DC has been made and sees a higher ceiling given time and a couple defensive players with superior talent or whether decisions he has made are questionable as a DC period. Seeing that some coaches have been termed and were a defensive coordinators prior to taking HC jobs, the team has options and 1 year doesn't marry you to a team.

As long as Pagano goes, I will likely be satisfied and if they take out Pagano and Chud, I will be double happy.

47 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Seriously. He's a little tired of all the 1st round busts.

Edit: And the article I just read said, he might fire Pagano and keep grigson... what?! Lolwut

Because there's more of a chance that Grigson improves than Pagano. Pagano isn't going to magically become a better coach. We've seen the extent of his abilities. He's not a good decision maker or talent developer. Andrew Luck is out of his league. Luck needs a real coach. All Grigson has to do is make better picks which is easier than Pagano getting better. All Grigson has to do is go status quo like he did with the last draft and he'll look better. But he's only keep the seat warm for the next GM.

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

I feel like today's game will be huge for Pagano especially with it being Mathis' last game and everyone wanting to get a win for him.

Don't knownhow I feel about this. I predicted and expected 7-9 this year. That is the roster we have.

I don't see how one game will make a difference if decisions behind the scenes (whatever that may be) have already been made.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I feel like today's game will be huge for Pagano especially with it being Mathis' last game and everyone wanting to get a win for him.

Don't know how I feel about this. I predicted and expected 7-9 this year. That is the roster we have.

A meaningless game against one of the worst teams in the league is huge for Pagano?

*Gramz beat me to it.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because there's more of a chance that Grigson improves than Pagano. Pagano isn't going to magically become a better coach. We've seen the extent of his abilities. He's not a good decision maker or talent developer. Andrew Luck is out of his league. Luck needs a real coach. All Grigson has to do is make better picks which is easier than Pagano getting better. All Grigson has to do is go status quo like he did with the last draft and he'll look better. But he's only keep the seat warm for the next GM.

I agree with you on the coach part. But I don't like Grigson. He still likes speed and projects too much. Jmo.

35 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I respectfully disagree. I think Grigson is bad and monachino has no playmakers to work with. Such a bad defensive roste.

1 minute ago, 12to13 said:

I respectfully disagree. I think Grigson is bad and monachino has no playmakers to work with. Such a bad defensive roste.

That's ok to disagree. My opinion comes from the reset year that Irsay gave both men. So I look at it like this, if these 2 men just entered the organization for this season, which man provided the best job performed? Did Pagano perform at a high level of coaching, decision making and game planning either pre game or during the games at a level that makes you feel he has this down? Did Grigson make good choices in this draft that have performed while on the field and not just combine warriors or high ceiling potential guys as well as has he been linked to meddling and calling coaching decisions he has no business doing as a GM? If you purely look at those 2 men under the reset criteria, who do you see with growth? Grigson hit pretty well this season doing his job, Pagano, well, we are going to see the last game today for the team in the 2016 season.

I am not going to lose any sleep if Grigson gets the axe as well but Pagano and Chud have to go. 

10 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I don't see how one game will make a difference if decisions behind the scenes (whatever that may be) have already been made.

I doubt they have been made. Irsay said weeks ago he doesn't anticipate changes but he didn't say they would not happen. Maybe Irsay is very dissapointed about the recent stretch of games and if we can't even beat one of the worst teams in the league in Robert's last game it will be the final nail in the coffin.

I also dont get why moves would be made now at GM or HC 1 year into a both guys signing onto new 4 year deals. What could Irsay possibly learn 1 year later about these guys that he should not know after 4 years job related? Makes no sense to me. You go 8-8 last year and don't kick em to the curb but potentially kickem to the curb if we go 8-8 this year? I tell you what you do know however and that is the roster really is not changed a whole lot from last year in regards to starters UNLESS one of them got hurt to this year on the defensive side of the ball outside of:

-Getting rid of 1 bad corner in Greg Toler and replacing him with another bad Corner in Patrick Robinson.....Both may have been decent in Nickel

-Drafting Hassan Ridgeway....More snaps then he would have originally had if guys like Henry and Langford were healthy all year

-Geathers is starting now though now on IR

-Drafting another 2 down ILB

For the most part we still have the same slow old linebackers we had last year and or taking significant snaps or were prior to D'Qwell getting suspended. Yes we made some moves but unless it was because of injury we pretty well came into 2016 with the intent of having the same starting lineup as last year except switching Toler for Robinson and Lowery for Geathers. We knew pass rush was going to be a problem. We knew stopping the run was going to be a problem. We knew we were going to have to consistently put up points through the air to win games. We knew we weren't going to run the ball enough

Truth is we were out for a struggle from the start

2 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I just don't want Gruden.

He cracks me up on commentary. He's "Mr. I LOVE that guy!"

I don't think I've ever heard him criticize a player. Every time he talks about someone he makes it sound like they're the best thing since sliced bread. He's like the "good guy" WWF announcer.

26 minutes ago, Gramz said:

That's probably true. The only way this game matters is if Irsay is totally on the fence and the Jags win. 

He either feels it's Pagano's fault that this team is so "up and down" or he doesn't. He also has to "forgive" the total domination by Pitt and NE during Pagano's tenure. I would think Irsay has to decide if the player's like for Chuck trump the fact that he just is not going to out scheme the better NFL coaches.

21 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for firing Grigson. Dude has only drafted 1 superstar player (Hilton because I'm not including Luck). But what I'm saying is Grigson has some upside. Pagano has none. Grigson CAN (doesn't mean he will) make better picks. Pagano probably isn't going to coach any better. A better coach could also expose Grigson once and for all.