Schefter Tweet about Colts Coaching Staff

Bravo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If big changes are coming to the roster why keep the guy that built it?

We don't know how much input or influence Pagano had in the picks.  He supposedly worked out Werner and was confident in his ability to be a 34 OLB.  He famously said that TR was a rolling ball of butcher knives.  Chud has Cleveland connections.  He may have wanted TJ Green.  While Grigson gets the blame for those picks, and responsibility rests with him, we don't know what went on behind the scene.  I'm sure that owner, GM, and coach all have discussions about major personnel issues and it could be that Pagano was pushing for those players and for Chud more than anybody.

Not defending anyone.  Just presenting a plausible reason why Pagano may be viewed as being the problem more so than Grigson.

I think the smartest thing they can do is find a good coach, that is also a GM, that way he knows exactly what players fit his scheme. I like the way the patriots use billichik, now I also know it has been done before, and billichik may be the exception to the rule, but I say we try it. A couple people I could see successfully doing that would be Gruden and or Manning. Both have knowledge of the game. And both know talent when they see it. 

The NFL live team discussed this a few minutes ago.  Reading between the lines, they talked more about coaching changes than GM changes in the context of their broader discussion.  That may mean that the rumors of change may be about Pagano.

Interestingly, they brought up Irsay's retention of both last year, but did not mention that Irsay said they were tied at the hip.  I found that silence meaningful.

They also mentioned how well the rookies on the right side of the Oline have been playing.  A recognition of the facts beyond the normal media trashing of the Colts Oline.  Trash the oline and you indirectly trash Grigson.  Praise the oline and you indirectly praise Grigson. They chose to talk positive about the oline for once.

Just observations about how the NFL Liv was discussing the issue.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

That's ok to disagree. My opinion comes from the reset year that Irsay gave both men. So I look at it like this, if these 2 men just entered the organization for this season, which man provided the best job performed? Did Pagano perform at a high level of coaching, decision making and game planning either pre game or during the games at a level that makes you feel he has this down? Did Grigson make good choices in this draft that have performed while on the field and not just combine warriors or high ceiling potential guys as well as has he been linked to meddling and calling coaching decisions he has no business doing as a GM? If you purely look at those 2 men under the reset criteria, who do you see with growth? Grigson hit pretty well this season doing his job, Pagano, well, we are going to see the last game today for the team in the 2016 season.

I am not going to lose any sleep if Grigson gets the axe as well but Pagano and Chud have to go. 

If you make me look at it like that.. yes Pagano did "worse". But still, there wasn't one playmaker on defense was there? The oline sucked up until recently. It's a roster and coaching problem imo. We basically agree though. 

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

green isnt a total bust yet

while i am a little worried that he may never be any good, its too soon to blame the staff over him being a bad pick

Yup. A lot of folks thought Landon Collins was a bust last year and hes arguably one of the best safties in the NFL this year. Its too early to give up on Green.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

PFT is speculating that Grigson could go and Pagano could stay. 

I'd be okay-ish with that. I don't think Pagano is great, but he's not awful. Grigson is kind of awful. He needs to go.

I think both are gone if changes are made. Besides, the new GM (assuming it happened this way) may not want Pagano.

14 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. A lot of folks thought Landon Collins was a bust last year and hes arguably one of the best safties in the NFL this year. Its too early to give up on Green.

Double edged sword. Grigson could have taken Collins in the 2015 draft. If he had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But Green was another one of his project reaches drafted on measurables alone. Guy can't cover and is basically just a faster version of Geathers.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Double edged sword. Grigson could have taken Collins in the 2015 draft. If he had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But Green was another one of his project reaches drafted on measurables alone. Guy can't cover and is basically just a faster version of Geathers.

Safety and CB are positions where I like to pick guys who can start right away in the draft, unless you are just choosing one with a late round pick that is BPA at the time. Collins was a pick a lot of us here wanted, and it was the right pick as well considering we hadn't drafted Geathers yet, and didn't get Green til a year later. Still disappointed about that, and I was higher on Dorsett than anyone here.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just read every comment here and saw the same on cbssports. Lets pray it happens. Can't wait to see the game today. 

I think todays game is meaningless in terms of what happens with Pagano and Grigson, but I do hope we win one last game for Mathis.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

We don't know how much input or influence Pagano had in the picks.  He supposedly worked out Werner and was confident in his ability to be a 34 OLB.  He famously said that TR was a rolling ball of butcher knives.  Chud has Cleveland connections.  He may have wanted TJ Green.  While Grigson gets the blame for those picks, and responsibility rests with him, we don't know what went on behind the scene.  I'm sure that owner, GM, and coach all have discussions about major personnel issues and it could be that Pagano was pushing for those players and for Chud more than anybody.

Not defending anyone.  Just presenting a plausible reason why Pagano may be viewed as being the problem more so than Grigson.

At he end of the day Grigson has the choice of whether to listen to Pagano or not.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I really wish I knew what this FO and coaching staff have against players that can cover. We ignore all good coverage players it's just dumb. Our linebackers and safeties have always sucked in coverage since we got Chuck and Grigson.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I think todays game is meaningless in terms of what happens with Pagano and Grigson, but I do hope we win one last game for Mathis.

Seeing that Irsay is upset, I'm not sure how meaningless it is anymore. I think a loss would send him over the edge since it would be a losing season, and he'd can both of them, or Pagano at least. I'd love to get a win for Mathis in his final game, but getting a new coaching staff is more important at this rate.

30 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

These rumors were floating around last year too and they ended up 100% false. I'll believe it when Irsay announces it himself.

Meh, I don't think they were totally false.  Irsay wanted changes but couldn't get the people he wanted.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

At he end of the day Grigson has the choice of whether to listen to Pagano or not.

I understand.  But if the three of them are in a room talking players, Irsay may get the sense of who is pushing for what player and who is more luke warm about it.  It certainly would be not be favorable to Pagano's cause if he was the one most vocally advocating for Werner and TRich.

Giving the HC the players he wants is something a GM considers.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Seeing that Irsay is upset, I'm not sure how meaningless it is anymore. I think a loss would send him over the edge since it would be a losing season, and he'd can both of them, or Pagano at least. I'd love to get a win for Mathis in his final game, but getting a new coaching staff is more important at this rate.

You could be right, but I think he decided what he wants to do before this game.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

You could be right, but I think he decided what he wants to do before this game.

Irsay doesn't strike me as the type that's going to fire the staff based on one game, an 8-8 or a 7-9 record.  He's probably seeing what we see.  Luck is stagnating as a QB and the offensive system is not helping.  That's a bigger issue than winning or losing this last game of the season.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I doesn't strike me as the type that's going to fire the staff based on one game, an 8-8 or a 7-9 record.  He's probably seeing what we see.  Luck is stagnating as a QB and the offensive system is not helping.  That's a bigger issue than winning or losing this last game of the season.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet he probably made up his decision after the 2nd Texans loss. 

But who knows, he could shock us all and keep them both. 

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet he probably made up his decision after the 2nd Texans loss. 

But who knows, he could shock us all and keep them both. 

I think change happens this year. probably at HC.

Last year the reports seemed to be more emotional, about some type of soap opera between Grigs and Pags getting along.  That sort of stuff was never a basis for firing either of them.

The reports this year don't include that Kravitz inspired soap opera stuff.

Despite changing OCs, the offense looks the same.  That is more of a basis for making a measured decision to change the system than does two grown up men squabbling about how best to win.