Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano: Colts-Titans "Playoff Football"....

NewColtsFan

So, Chuck has said it.       It's game ON!!       He says this week is playoff football.

We're facing a hot team with one of the hottest offenses in the league of late.      This is NOT the same Titans team we faced 4-5 weeks ago.

Indy really has its work cut out for itself.      The difference may just come down to home field advantage.

Here's the story from NFL.com which listened to Pagano's weekly media address...

Playoff football in November!     Love it!      Game ON!!        Enjoy!!       :thmup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000741184/article/pagano-coltstitans-playoff-football-this-week

Colts are going to have to score TD's....FG's aren't going to cut it!!! 

Control the clock to keep the Titans off the field. 

Don't just keeping dropping back 7 steps. Throw some quick passes, some slants, and QB rollouts to help Luck out. 

Yes, I realize I'm being: 

Image result for capt obvious

I still would like to see McAfee throw it on a 4th and short instance.

(to anyone not named Dewey McDonald of course)

Its funny how you beat a team, basically handle them for 3 out of the four quarters and then people turn around and say "oh I'm scared" they may beat us. Some of you are very scary fans. The Titans two wins over a bad Jacksonville team that has gotten even worse in follies since we played them, and a green bay team who clearly is reeling psychologically, and from an injury stand point make you guys start speaking in a timid kind of way is funny. We've seen Tennssee before, we know who they are. We got this under control. This is no Behemoth we are dealing with. Colts win in a convincing way and I ain't even sweating over it. Call me whatever you want. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm talking as much trash as I did before the Nashville game. I simply believe we are better than them! To hell with the rest.

Play the run 200% and  double Delanie walker and it's an easy win sharpe can't get open on vontae  and Kendall won't get open on P rob...watch the flats for screens and were fine thier defense is still trash to me packers lost because thier defense got ran over and thier offense couldn't run 

It really is a massive game and, as stated by the OP, this is not the same team we faced a few weeks back but, based on our performance against GB and the fact that we are coming off the bye week with a really healthy group, I would say we are a different proposition also.

I still think we will win, with home field and a rested/fairly healthy unit, Colts by 6 points.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Its funny how you beat a team, basically handle them for 3 out of the four quarters and then people turn around and say "oh I'm scared" they may beat us. Some of you are very scary fans. The Titans two wins over a bad Jacksonville team that has gotten even worse in follies since we played them, and a green bay team who clearly is reeling psychologically, and from an injury stand point make you guys start speaking in a timid kind of way is funny. We've seen Tennssee before, we know who they are. We got this under control. This is no Behemoth we are dealing with. Colts win in a convincing way and I ain't even sweating over it. Call me whatever you want. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm talking as much trash as I did before the Nashville game. I simply believe we are better than them! To hell with the rest.

But the Titans fans that were posting on this article were dogging on us(as were other fan bases)  saying the game will be theirs for the taking. I personally find this funny(I know they have improved as a unit offensively) considering they couldn't pull out a W in their house. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Play the run 200% and  double Delanie walker and it's an easy win sharpe can't get open on vontae  and Kendall won't get open on P rob...watch the flats for screens and were fine thier defense is still trash to me packers lost because thier defense got ran over and thier offense couldn't run 

^This. Take these options away, and it's a long afternoon for the Titans O. 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

If this game is "playoff" football who plays in the SB?

And to you KC.....lol!! Thank you, good stuff! Chuck being Chuck(before someone jumps on me, I know this game is important in regards to the playoffs but this is a regular Chuckism statement). 

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

But the Titans fans that were posting on this article were dogging on us(as were other fan bases)  saying the game will be theirs for the taking. I personally find this funny(I know they have improved as a unit offensively) considering they couldn't pull out a W in their house. 

^This. Take these options away, and it's a long afternoon for the Titans O. 

And to you KC.....lol!! Thank you, good stuff! Chuck being Chuck(before someone jumps on me, I know this game is important in regards to the playoffs but this is a regular Chuckism statement). 

I don't even think they've improved.  They played one team(Jaguars) who have basically given up on the season and they are playing sloppier football than they played in the beginning of the season when they thought they had a shot.   Then they played another team who is riddled with injuries all through out the secondary.   Considering these things and then adding all  the mistakes and mishaps both of those teams committed, what else do you expect other than a bad loss?

1 hour ago, GoColtsWin said:

I'm not sure whom you are speaking of but it certainly wasn't me.  Are we playing better?  Absolutely.  But we're still a .500 ball club right now facing a team that has historically had our number.  We've never beaten Andrew Luck.  We've never won at Lucas Oil.  10 straight losses.  And back in week 7, the Colts beat the Titans with only Hilton and Doyle to throw to. (yes, I know, saying "only" Hilton doesn't give him his due).

The problems of the last game were an inability of the offense to maintain drives early on, resulting in field goals.  We never led in that game.  For a team that allowed Luck to be a pinata for much of the season, Indy's O-line all of a sudden looked a lot more stout.  We failed to get the the QB and to make adjustments when we weren't succeeding.

Mariota didn't have a terrible game but it wasn't a great one.  He put two footballs on the ground, losing one and we can't have that and win against a team like Indy.  Murray had a good statistical running game but Henry was barely used.

We have to start fast like we've done in recent weeks.  We hung three TD's on Green Bay before they had an answer and then we hung two more before the end of the first half.  We can't afford to turn the ball over.  And the defense has to step up and do better, both on the line (which was a surprise in the last game) and the secondary (which wasn't).

1 hour ago, BPindy said:

The Colts played them and beat them during this 6 game "surge" that the writer is talking about. And it was at their place no less. I'm not really scared of them at all. 

Me neither.

I just don't want to rely on Luck putting up 350 yards and 3 TDs again to win, that is all I am going to say. At home, I expect us to play better defense with more healthy bodies coming back. I expect another OK game from Mariota and Murray, not good enough to beat us at the end. :)

For the record, I am not offering master football diagnosis like some may expect :)

I called a win the first time we played the Titans, and that was when a lot of people here were at their lowest confidence in this team.

I think there's actually a good chance we lose though. Yeah, we beat them in Tennessee, but Mariota missed very easy passes all game and just looked off. It was kind of like how Rivers/receivers looked off. Both team's backs are against the wall and there's no way this losing streak against us isn't rubbing them the wrong way.

Do people get the feeling it's a confidence issue with the Titans every time we play them? I mean we have beaten them so many time now in a row it's almost like they just roll over for us and take their beating. I think somebody mentioned it at the beginning of the thread that the start will be important like the game a few weeks ago. They are flying at the moment so we need to banish these preconceived notions early on that they think they can beat us!

Mariota has recently been playing very well... Much better than when the Colts saw him last. And I am not sure how much home field advantage will really matter. I think it will be close... But with these Colts who knows... Week to week I still don't know what to expect. Are we gonna get the kanas city game team, or the packers game team?

6 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Mariota has recently been playing very well... Much better than when the Colts saw him last. And I am not sure how much home field advantage will really matter. I think it will be close... But with these Colts who knows... Week to week I still don't know what to expect. Are we gonna get the kanas city game team, or the packers game team?

We have not won 2 games in a row, so count the bye week as a loss :)

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Colts are going to have to score TD's....FG's aren't going to cut it!!! 

Control the clock to keep the Titans off the field. 

Don't just keeping dropping back 7 steps. Throw some quick passes, some slants, and QB rollouts to help Luck out. 

Yes, I realize I'm being: 

Image result for capt obvious

I still would like to see McAfee throw it on a 4th and short instance.

(to anyone not named Dewey McDonald of course)

More hurry up would be nice as well. 

The roof is going to be closed, a sellout 12th man crowd.  We had the bye week.  Old legs feel better.

Mathis is going to benefit from a healthy D-line an have at least one sack...if he has 2 it will be a strip sack.  The heat is coming this week.  I may be crazy, but I really have a feeling that the Colts will definitively win this game.  My gut...however large it is...is pretty close most of the time. :)  

Just can't bring myself to be worried about a team that hasn't beaten us in the Andrew Luck era even when Luck was out and Josh Freeman & Ryan Lindley were at the helm. Not to mention also gave Andre Johnson his 2nd best career highlight with a circus TD catch last season.

For those wondering, Andre's best career highlight was the whopping he gave Cortland Finnegan haha

25 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Just can't bring myself to be worried about a team that hasn't beaten us in the Andrew Luck era even when Luck was out and Josh Freeman & Ryan Lindley were at the helm. Not to mention also gave Andre Johnson his 2nd best career highlight with a circus TD catch last season.

For those wondering, Andre's best career highlight was the whopping he gave Cortland Finnegan haha

We said the same thing about the Texans last year that they haven't beaten us here even with Curtis Painter. However, Luck and Hasselback were out when the Texans did beat us in a snooze fest.

I still don't completely trust Mariota -- especially on the road. I say sell out to stop the run and dare Mariota to throw downfield to move the ball. He will get a chunk play here and there, but if we can stop Murray/running game then I feel like the Colts will complete the sweep this season.

The reason the Colts won in Tenn is because Luck was darn near perfect and Tenn tried to pass the ball instead of running it down the Colts throat.  All Tenn has to do to win is run Murray, run Murray, run Murray, oh yea and run Murray.  If they do this then yes, I am very worried.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Me neither.

I just don't want to rely on Luck putting up 350 yards and 3 TDs again to win, that is all I am going to say. At home, I expect us to play better defense with more healthy bodies coming back. I expect another OK game from Mariota and Murray, not good enough to beat us at the end. :)

For the record, I am not offering master football diagnosis like some may expect :)

I don't want to rely on that either, but it's what we've all become accustomed to! I expect them to use Murray a lot more than they did last time but I think our defense will be okay

9 hours ago, krunk said:

we also had a nice bye to rest & plan and watch them carefully last week

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, Chuck has said it.       It's game ON!!       He says this week is playoff football.

We're facing a hot team with one of the hottest offenses in the league of late.      This is NOT the same Titans team we faced 4-5 weeks ago.

Indy really has its work cut out for itself.      The difference may just come down to home field advantage.

Here's the story from NFL.com which listened to Pagano's weekly media address...

Playoff football in November!     Love it!      Game ON!!        Enjoy!!       :thmup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000741184/article/pagano-coltstitans-playoff-football-this-week

Chuck really had no other option than to say this. Am I gonna give him credit for stating what everybody already knows? No, but if our guys show up with a sense of urgency, cut down on the penalties, & play like their hair is on fire...Then yes, I will praise Pagano for that. 

INDY is very similar to GB though--a tremendous QB, few sacks on defense, & an inconsistent ground game that either balls out or gets stuffed for little gain forcing a victory thru the air.

Every once in awhile though, when our back is to the wall, the Colts show some heart. Let's hope this Sunday is hey, INDY came to play today. I like it. 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But, I'm not a math major!

I knew there was a reason I liked you man. I suck at math too. Just kidding! I knew what you meant. 

Seriously though, numbers & decimal points were never my strong suit. I always tell people I'm a nice guy just don't make me a civil engineer & ask me to build a bridge for everyone's safety. 

To paraphrase a Clint Eastwood quote, this man knows his limitations. haha

11 hours ago, krunk said:

Now I'm almost positive we're losing. :) Every time you've said something like this in 2016, we lost.

- We have nothing to fear from Detroit.

- Jacksonville, nothing to fear - easy game, blowout.

- KC won't be that difficult - no better than Houston. 

Didn't  catch  your  thoughts  on Denver  or Houston.