Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Brady should win MVP?

ReMeDy

Personally, I don't think any player who's been suspended more than two games should win MVP, but there's people who are going to say the fact he's doing so well despite missing four weeks is all the more reason he should. If it was time missed due to injury, that's one thing, but it seems ironic a guy who's suspended could be considered the league's most valuable player.

Even without the suspension, I'd rather see a break-out star, like Derek Carr, win it, who's helped the Raiders go 5-0 on their road games.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady is the only player in recent memory that has actually gotten better with age.  I legitimately think he's playing better at age 39 than he did years ago.  I said this in another thread: I could see him playing another 5 years with the way he's going, barring significant injury.  I think he's far better than anyone else playing in the league and I do think he's the top MVP candidate at this point.  There are 8 weeks left in the season and a lot of things could change, but I think the MVP frontrunner right now is Brady.  And it really pains me to say this as a Colts fan

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Brady is the only player in recent memory that has actually gotten better with age.  I legitimately think he's playing better at age 39 than he did years ago.  I said this in another thread: I could see him playing another 5 years with the way he's going, barring significant injury.  I think he's far better than anyone else playing in the league and I do think he's the top MVP candidate at this point.  There are 8 weeks left in the season and a lot of things could change, but I think the MVP frontrunner right now is Brady.  And it really pains me to say this as a Colts fan

Certain baseball players have.....

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Hate to agree on this particular subject being Brady, but I do. People don't like hearing it, but Brady isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And people will really not like this, but I could see him having another SB ring or two as well before he's done.

I think his suspension should rule him out no matter what he does.  BUT, he would definitely win it at this point had he not gotten suspended, for sure.  I'm not sure I can name another deserving player, perhaps Matt Ryan if the Falcons don't implode like they did last season?

I was thinking about this very question earlier today RMDY. Should a 4 game suspension prohibit a HOF QB from winning the MVP? There are 2 ways to look at the situation: 1. The award is based strictly on a QB's regular season numbers & even with Brady missing 1 third of the season, if he balls out with an insane number of touchdowns this yr., he should win by a landslide. 2. Brady missed the first 4 games not due to an athletic injury, but rather a self inflicted wound of pride & arrogance to his ego. 

Given those 2 senarioes where do I fall? Previously, while the whole investigation & court battle ensued between the league & the players association, I said I believed that Brady knew about deflated balls & there's no way his equipment managers would do anything without Tom's approval & consent. Ergo by definition, he cheated or to be nice he cut a corner on purpose. But, I also said that once the suspension has been served, I don't hold grudges & I will give him a clean slate moving forward. 

Therefore, SW1 won't penalize Brady forever for DeFlate Gate or a PSI air pressure discrepancy especially when you remember that Brady kicked INDY's caboose with fully inflated footballs during that AFC Championship Game. I can't ignore that or pretend it didn't happen. So, yes, if the numbers overwhelming warrant it; I'm cool with #12 winning the MVP. Football is all about production on the field not how fans rate your integrity & character away from the game. It's not a popularity contest like the ProBowl. 

Can a player really be deemed the MVP if his team wins 3 out of 4 games when he is not available? They could go 15-1 with him lighting it up but still IMO he should only get the award if there is no one else deserving. Right now I think only Matt Ryan and Elliot can be in the conversation with him unless Rodgers gets hot or the Colts go on a big win streak (Luck). I suppose Carr would also get consideration if he wins this week vs Denver. 

1 hour ago, 19colt said:

Can a player really be deemed the MVP if his team wins 3 out of 4 games when he is not available? They could go 15-1 with him lighting it up but still IMO he should only get the award if there is no one else deserving. Right now I think only Matt Ryan and Elliot can be in the conversation with him unless Rodgers gets hot or the Colts go on a big win streak (Luck). I suppose Carr would also get consideration if he wins this week vs Denver. 

This.  I realize Brady's numbers are great but his team won without him, and even won a game with the #3 QB.  Unfortunately for him, right or wrong, I think this hurts his value somewhat, especially when you consider his backup has the 2nd-best QB rating in the NFL in the 2 games he played (among those who have thrown at least 30 passes; Nick Foles leads the league now, go figure.)

I dont think the suspension matters, but do think that they went 3 & 1 without him means they could of still possibly taken division

On a side note and it doesnt take away from his play, man what a 2 TE duo , u can split either wide and i block

split both wide, or put 2 on same side and just smash-mouth defenders allowing some great runs, seen it all this year. Have to give it to BB getting bennet and WR hogan has made a difference

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady is the MVP IMO. Hate to say it but he is.

of carr lights up the denver d this weekend, even though brady will too as the weakness is the middle run game & TE coverage thats Pats strength, I would vote Carr

2 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think Brady lost his mouth piece on Sunday against the Bills? Not sure if anyone else saw that?  On a serious note, he's play the best out of any QB right now.  He did miss 4 games and he's only played 4 so there is still a lot of football left to play.  He should be in the discussion though.

TMI

Lol man I see a lot of hate on Brady I'm a colts fan but respect the fact that the man is great and is playing the qb position superior than anyone else.. Brady has a better qbr completion rate and only a couple touchdowns less than Matt Ryan and Ryan had the head start..so by end of the season if Brady exceeds Ryan it's obviously because he's played better with less amount of games a suspension that isn't based on peds shouldn't  disqualify you from being MVP so to me at this moment he's first in line and will finish as the mvp his only competition was manning/Rodgers  if you ignore Cams surprising year last yr

9 hours ago, bayone said:

of carr lights up the denver d this weekend, even though brady will too as the weakness is the middle run game & TE coverage thats Pats strength, I would vote Carr

One thing that does stand out is the Patriots were 3-1 without Brady but the numbers Brady is putting up are scary and he hasn't lost a game yet.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing that does stand out is the Patriots were 3-1 without Brady but the numbers Brady is putting up are scary and he hasn't lost a game yet.

I don't put much stock in how Jimmy G. or Brissett played in Tom's absence because my expectation level in light of Brady's absence was pretty darn low, so I can't really shower praise on backups especially when Jimmy's been in Foxbourgh for a couple of yrs now. 

It's not about the number of games Brady missed, but that he hit the ground running in regular season form to me. I agree with your overall conclusion CBE. 

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Safe answer would be Brady, but give me the wildcard and go with carr

I do like Derek Carr a lot CR91. That is a darn good choice & I do like his tandem of Cooper & Crabtree too. 

An electric offense to watch. Al Davis is somewhere smiling. 

I just wonder if Aaron Rogers is back now. He lit it up vs Atlanta, but GB's WRs still struggle with getting separation so I still have my doubts.

Someday, I wanna see Discount Double Check vs Tommy Terrific in a SB collision course before I die, but only if both QBs are having incredible regular seasons first. Rogers is still elite. He just needs to avoid publicly scolding his WRs so much on the field, which destroys their confidence & builds growing resentment & anger. 

Brady, on the other hand, can ream any TE or WR he wants because of count em 4 SB rings. When you're a made man like Tommy is, you can ride whoever the hades you want minus BB or Robert Kraft that is. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I don't put much stock in how Jimmy G. or Brissett played in Tom's absence because my expectation level in light of Brady's absence was pretty darn low, so I can't really shower praise on backups especially when Jimmy's been in Foxbourgh for a couple of yrs now. 

It's not about the number of games Brady missed, but that he hit the ground running in regular season form to me. I agree with your overall conclusion CBE. 

Jimmy G was on track to shatter the record book vs Miami before he was hurt WITHOUT Gronk! Yeah, I know it was Miami but even still...

I am on the Matt Ryan bandwagon. If Brady continues his form for the remainder of the season then it will be hard to deny him but if we are talking about valuable here Ryan wins. The Patriots simply do not suffer a great deal when Brady is out because they have the best coaches by far. 

3 hours ago, 19colt said:

Jimmy G was on track to shatter the record book vs Miami before he was hurt WITHOUT Gronk! Yeah, I know it was Miami but even still...

I am on the Matt Ryan bandwagon. If Brady continues his form for the remainder of the season then it will be hard to deny him but if we are talking about valuable here Ryan wins. The Patriots simply do not suffer a great deal when Brady is out because they have the best coaches by far. 

Matt Ryan didn't do anything to hurt his case tonight.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

he may not lose a game, easy sched ,. only Denver & 1 other team iffy but cant see Denver offense keeping pace esp as single let alone 2 TE's are thgeir weakness plus runs  es up the middle but to outside as well, easy to achieve when both Kronk & Bennet block together for power back in blount

On November 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM, oldunclemark said:

For me.   Cant be MVP playing only 12 games

So if he plays 12 games only and exceeds all other qbs in every stat and also Wins he shouldn't be mvp? Even though he may beat all them out with 4 less games lol yeahh I'm gonna need better reasoning than that 

On November 4, 2016 at 1:00 AM, 19colt said:

Jimmy G has been in NE for awhile now. It would be a shocker if he didn't play well since BB doesn't draft substandard talent. It's not whether Jimmy G. played well in Brady's absence 19colt, it's how well a 4 time SB champion knocked the rust off & played like he never left. MVPs are usually a veteran award for continued excellence. Not a noteworthy, placeholder fill in job with low expectations. 

Matt Ryan is a good selection. I have no problem with him being mentioned in the conversation at all. 

Should go to Luck if he keeps it up. I don't know why it has to be a player on a winning team it's most valuable player. That's what he is looking at the season he's having with the most garbage supporting cast. that's impressive won't happen but no one means more to their team then Luck.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Last few games I'm a little mind boggled when I think he's do all this at 39. I know he has great eating and workout habits but still...

Now I can see the mental part as we age we get seasoned but physical attributes......although some of the physical like small scramble is from being seasoned mentally. I haven't noticed the bullet throw this year.

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Jimmy G has been in NE for awhile now. It would be a shocker if he didn't play well since BB doesn't draft substandard talent. It's not whether Jimmy G. played well in Brady's absence 19colt, it's how well a 4 time SB champion knocked the rust off & played like he never left. MVPs are usually a veteran award for continued excellence. Not a noteworthy, placeholder fill in job with low expectations. 

Matt Ryan is a good selection. I have no problem with him being mentioned in the conversation at all. 

This isn't really the point. The point is how can someone be the MVP if most agree that if you missed the entire season the team would probably win only 1-3 less games than if you played. 

I don't want this to be another Brady vs Manning but in 2010, the Colts were a joke of a team but made the playoffs and were probably 1 terrible Jim Caldwell decision away from winning a playoff game. Largely the same team the next year, minus one player, had the first pick in the draft. That one player is an MVP type in my book.