Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Reitz

dw49

15 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

If people think Rietz is bad, Clark would get Luck Killed! It won't change this year.. Andrew is gonna have to speed up his release....

Andrew has been hit more his first 5 years than any other qb. That can't All be Joe...

Who said it was?  Does it have to have been "all Joe" to be able to declare that we can and should find somebody else?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah these folks don't realize how good miller is.....it's more so of how great miller is than how reitz sucks

I've been down on Reitz pretty much his entire career.  I was patient with him at first -- knowing that he hadn't played football in college and was a project.  The way I saw it, if Pagano and Grigson both thought he was capable of becoming a good lineman, then who am I to question their judgment?  They see him everyday and I don't.

But I think they've had enough time.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

I could see Pags giving him massive props, "Joe has that grit and toughness, he's like a robotic mechanical death bull with flaming eyes.  Denver did well, it's SOOO SOOO so hard to win in the NFL."  

That's how he talked about Trent Richardson, too -- even when it became obvious to even the most casual football fan that TR was never going to become a good (let alone great) NFL running back.

Coaches and GMs almost never admit they made a personnel mistake (unless it involves off-the-field stuff).

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Then that's the coaches fault for not changing the protection and double teaming miller

How does that let Reitz off the hook?  I mean, sure, they should have noticed that he was getting whipped all game and made an adjustment to mitigate that.

But these are not mutually exclusive things.  Reitz is still not good enough to be a starting lineman in the NFL, whether they should've chipped on VM or not.

It's not like people are complaining about him just because he got humiliated by the best DE in the league.  He was bad before today.  He's never even been average.  And yet, he's still on our roster and still starting.

I've always said this guy is BACKUP material at best NOT an nfl caliber starting rt. My question is out of all the o-linemen drafted NO one could beat him or some of the other PITIFUL linemen on this team out in camp? I assumed more than Kelly would be able to grab starting spots. Now I question the talent of the rookie linemen drafted by the Colts. 

26 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Personally, I think AC is a RT and we need a new LT.  But the Colts overpaid AC, and now they're stuck.  Haeg handled LT well in Preseason, but he's hurt, not strong enough, and inexperienced.  Could be a long season for Andrew....

Luckily no other defense in the league is like Denver's.  Those guys are relentless.

My gripe isn't really directed at Joe Reitz. Joe will play wherever the organization wants him to play. I blame the person who made the decision to name Joe as the starting RT for this season. That individual put Joe in a position beyond his skill set... a position to fail. Who's decision was it? That person lacks the judgement necessary to continue in their current position, IMHO.

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I've always said this guy is BACKUP material at best NOT an nfl caliber starting rt. My question is out of all the o-linemen drafted NO one could beat him or some of the other PITIFUL linemen on this team out in camp? I assumed more than Kelly would be able to grab starting spots. Now I question the talent of the rookie linemen drafted by the Colts. 

Kelly hasn't been bad.  In fact, I think he's been playing better than the more experienced guys.  Mewhort has been passable -- but, in fairness to him, he's not 100%.

AC and JR don't have that excuse.

I know that Reitz had a very tall order today in Miller.  Few linemen get the better of that guy.  I can remember when Freeney and Mathis used to make good tackles look like bumbling fools.

But it's not like it was just this one game.  He's been a weak spot on our front 5 for a long time.

Hopefully Philbin has enough purchase with Pags and Grigson to get something done.  He was hired to correct this.

34 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

That too.  I agree we overpaid AC -- he's no Jonathan Ogden.  But at least he's an NFL-caliber lineman.

What good is having a great QB if you don't have a good enough O-line to let him do his job?

What gets me is that Ryan Grigson himself WAS an offensive lineman!!!

That's what I said when the Colts traded Chris Hinton for the Right to draft Jeff George.  No QB is good laying on his back.....

36 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Who said it was?  Does it have to have been "all Joe" to be able to declare that we can and should find somebody else?

My point is, they won't get anyone better this year. Rosters are set, salary caps are set. Free agents this time of year aren't better.

10 minutes ago, Douzer said:

My gripe isn't really directed at Joe Reitz. Joe will play wherever the organization wants him to play. I blame the person who made the decision to name Joe as the starting RT for this season. That individual put Joe in a position beyond his skill set... a position to fail. Who's decision was it? That person lacks the judgement necessary to continue in their current position, IMHO.

I would think that, ultimately, all of those decisions fall to Pagano -- in this case, with input from Chud and Philbin.

That said, it's no secret that Grigson has gotten involved in depth chart decisions in the past, to Pagano's consternation.

Personally, I question whether Reitz is good enough to be on the active roster.  The argument for him has always been that he can play most positions on the line.  And Lord knows we've had to move a lot of guys around. OK, but isn't that why we have a scout team?  It's not like some other team is going to sign him.

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Luckily no other defense in the league is like Denver's.  Those guys are relentless.

That's true.  But, unluckily, this isn't the first game where Joe Reitz has showed his rear end for all to see.  I've found myself cursing his name far too often for an OL the past few years.

For O linemen, the best ones are the ones you never notice -- because if they're doing their job well, they rarely make replays or get their numbers called out for holding penalties and false starts.

5 minutes ago, a06cc said:

If we're going to get on Reitz this forum better call of Casucko as well. That spin move was just nasty. She gave up her fair share of sacks too

Yea, but it's easier to single out Reitz because... well, Castonzo likes Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, so he's alright in my book, so Reitz is the odd man out.

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, but it's easier to single out Reitz because... well, Castonzo likes Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, so he's alright in my book, so Reitz is the odd man out.

Well with that spin move that second year kid Shane Ray yelled "finish him" on that play

12 minutes ago, a06cc said:

If we're going to get on Reitz this forum better call of Casucko as well. That spin move was just nasty. She gave up her fair share of sacks too

Castonzo is at least an NFL caliber player.  We're paying him elite money and I don't think he's ever proven to be an elite lineman (thanks, Grigs!).  But he's usually good enough to be a starter.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Is there someone better?

I think they'd do just as well to find a random 20-something 300 pounder sitting in the stands at Lucas Oil any given Sunday.

He's that bad.  Watch him closely next week against SD and you'll see what I mean.  He goes backwards in most head-on match-ups and almost always gets blown by on the outside  when he's in pass "protection."

It's been that way for several years now.  And, yet, there he is in the starting lineup pretty much every game.

19 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Kelly hasn't been bad.  In fact, I think he's been playing better than the more experienced guys.  Mewhort has been passable -- but, in fairness to him, he's not 100%.

AC and JR don't have that excuse.

I know that Reitz had a very tall order today in Miller.  Few linemen get the better of that guy.  I can remember when Freeney and Mathis used to make good tackles look like bumbling fools.

But it's not like it was just this one game.  He's been a weak spot on our front 5 for a long time.

Hopefully Philbin has enough purchase with Pags and Grigson to get something done.  He was hired to correct this.

I agree with you and that was the point of my post. As BAD as that o-line was last year and has been in Luck's tenure why is Reitz or some of the other BELOW avg o-linemen from last year even starting?! The bulk of this year's draft by the Colts was on o-linemen but ONLY Kelly could crack the starting lineup which says to me that the rookie class is no better than the slugs ALREADY onboard....  

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Joe Reitz had a horrible game...

HOWEVER, he was playing the best pass rusher in the NFL. Joe Haeg, Denzelle Good, or Le'Raven Clark would have been abused as well. 

Then put a tight end over there to help!!  That was driving me crazy when Miller was running free into the backfield in the 4th quarter.  Adjustment from the HC?? No!

18 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Castonzo is at least an NFL caliber player.  We're paying him elite money and I don't think he's ever proven to be an elite lineman (thanks, Grigs!).  But he's usually good enough to be a starter.

I would say as a RT yes. I'm just alittle upset that Reitz is getting blame. He is playing hurt. The playoff game and last season he did a great job blocking Miller. However no one is even mentioning the horrible game AC had as well.

15 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

He (Reitz) would have been packing long time ago if he was on another team besides the Colts.

This tells you that Pagano is an awful coach.

It tells me Grigson is an awful GM.  The roster belongs to him, not Pagano.

If Pagano had a better option at RT, he'd play him.  But he probably doesn't.  And OL has been a problem spot for us since the new guys took over.

I'm glad we focused on the OL in the draft.  But there are other ways to get quality players.  And Kelly is the only rookie starting.

Other ways is to get a quality coach who can lead a team.  Not a coach that makes excuses for his players all the time...and not holding them accountable which  results in lowering their potential to be better....After next Sunday we'll be echo wing the same sentiments....Rant and raving, right?

During the past draft the feeling was that this o-line did not need help and would improve.  This was after a disastrous year of poor pass protection and run blocking and the loss of a great QB.  Numbers 74 and 76 have been awful since they have been here. I know it a different league, however, you can spot some college players giving a better effort than what we are getting.  New center looks good and will improve.  Luck cannot do it by himself.  He is running a little smarter but can't do this all year.  Also, talking about draft, they knew we needed help in the secondary and did not do anything to improve in these positions. If we want a good winning team we must have better line play and better secondary play. We were spoiled with Manning.  Defense was not the best but adequate, we would out score most opponents.  Pags and Grigs  have got the do better in picking players.  Can't do it with players on their way out.

4 minutes ago, jaywhy said:

During the past draft the feeling was that this o-line did not need help and would improve.  This was after a disastrous year of poor pass protection and run blocking and the loss of a great QB.  Numbers 74 and 76 have been awful since they have been here. I know it a different league, however, you can spot some college players giving a better effort than what we are getting.  New center looks good and will improve.  Luck cannot do it by himself.  He is running a little smarter but can't do this all year.  Also, talking about draft, they knew we needed help in the secondary and did not do anything to improve in these positions. If we want a good winning team we must have better line play and better secondary play. We were spoiled with Manning.  Defense was not the best but adequate, we would out score most opponents.  Pags and Grigs  have got the do better in picking players.  Can't do it with players on their way out.

If that were true then why did Grigson spend 4 picks on the offensive line?

4 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You really don't follow other players....miller has been dominant for years just because he hasn't touched luck before doesn't mean he isn't that good lol dumb way of thinking

Did I ever say he wasnt good? I know how good Miller is. But that doesnt take away the fact that we always found a way to stop him until we leave a backup to play him one on one all game

8 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

It tells me Grigson is an awful GM.  The roster belongs to him, not Pagano.

If Pagano had a better option at RT, he'd play him.  But he probably doesn't.  And OL has been a problem spot for us since the new guys took over.

I'm glad we focused on the OL in the draft.  But there are other ways to get quality players.  And Kelly is the only rookie starting.

The Colts traded with Green Bay to take TJ Green. With the Colts pick, Green Bay took IU's All Big Ten Tackle, Jason Spriggs.

18 hours ago, dw49 said:

You would have to move Good to RT. He didn't play there at all preseason , so probably a tough move to make now. Hey. but maybe Chuck is right and the guy is great . Dunno .. and I do admit Miller is very good. Just seems like maybe with the game on the line , in a 100% passing situation , the coaching staff wouldn't let a one on one match up between Reitz and  Miller wreck the game.

Good at 355 lbs would get killed out there too. He needed to come in lighter not heavier.
 I`m guessing he met Chapman, Montori and Thornton in time to learn to eat like they did.
 They showed a nice clear replay of him trying to get out and block someone in space.
 Like Mewhort, just way to slow to get there.

And besides, our 'Smartest" bloggers here told us before the season that Reitz is Solid!

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

^^^True dat. They are relentless because they are deep at several spots, so they can still maintain a level of healthy performance.

They find good LBs in the draft consistently, they have a high rate of hit rates on FAs, have quality pass rushers backing up Ware and Miller from the draft, have quality DBs drafted waiting for their chance, and choose wisely where to put their money on (Von Miller over Brock Osweiler) so that they can maintain their established identity.