Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton should be our next GM

dudley dawson

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Not so much to do with the thread topic but an earlier argument in it. 

I find it hilarious how some of you blams Asians for getting his qbs killed yet refuse to think that Pagano has anything to do with out offense. 

Damn Asians!

2 hours ago, Myles said:

In a heartbeat.   Having a GM who is as dedicated as Manning is would be great.    I don't think he would "wiff" on many draft picks because he would put in the time to study the players.  

Why do some people operate from the misguided premise that just because you're a HOF QB that you'd be a decent GM? I never get that leap of blind faith at all. Okay, sure John Elway is the exception that defies the rule, but usually the field to front office transition never works out well. 

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

NO 

Hes happy to do what hes doing & IMO maybe in a few years he might come back to football & when he does it will be as part owner or OC ...

Until then .

Thank you Adonis 1. I echo your sentiments completely. Just let the Sheriff pitch products & hang out with his kids man. He's earned it. I love how 18 says "Oh Yeah" in this commercial. I smirk every darn time he says it. haha

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Arians isn't any better IMO. People in this forum seem to love him but he also had Luck when he filled in for Pagano is why he won. In Arizona he has a Top 5 Defense and Carson Palmer who is on the Good level but yet got pounded in the NFC Title Game, then he loses to the Pats at home who didn't even have Brady or Gronk.

I think the NBA joke [referring to BOTT] must have been explained in more detail in another thread that I haven't read yet. 

In any case, CBE too many folks are being too harsh on AZ & BA today. Come on, INDY hasn't exactly beaten NE or Belichick consistently either. The Cards lost by 2 points not 25 man. & why are so many NFL fans giving Carson grief over 1 bad NFC Championship Game? Lots of QBs have an off night & besides the Panthers are a pretty sound football team on defense are they not? 

Look, I will grant you that BA loves the vertical passing game to make safeties & DBs back up & then he kills you on short/intermediate routes to TEs & RBs but Bruce isn't afraid to pound the rock either. 

It just bothers me that everybody is piling on Palmer today. It's overkill IMO. I get it. AZ had a huge advantage with Brady & Gronk out. However, the final outcome was not as dire as their GM painted it. It's only week 1 not week 10. Yeah, I know. Everybody wants to pulverize NE. But, let's just tap the brakes AZ will make the playoffs so no big deal in my estimation. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I think the NBA joke [referring to BOTT] must have been explained in more detail in another thread that I haven't read yet. 

In any case, CBE too many folks are being too harsh on AZ & BA today. Come on, INDY hasn't exactly beaten NE or Belichick consistently either. The Cards lost by 2 points not 25 man. & why are so many NFL fans given Carson grief over 1 bad NFC Championship Game? Lots of QBs have an off night & besides the Panthers are a pretty sound football team on defense are they not? 

Look, I will grant you that BA loves the vertical passing game to make safeties & DBs back up & then he kills you on short/intermediate routes to TEs & RBs but Bruce isn't afraid to pound the rock either. 

It just bothers me that everybody is piling on Palmer today. It's overkill IMO. 

My point to the whole thing is Pagano gets piled on and so does Luck for losing in a Title Game in Foxboro but yet Arians can do no wrong in many peoples eyes when he hasn't done anything that Pagano hasn't as a Head Coach. Pagano gets piled on after every loss by most Colts fans and I was just pointing out Arians lost to a Pats team that was missing their 2 best players in Brady and Gronk.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

In any case, CBE too many folks are being too harsh on AZ & BA today. Come on, INDY hasn't exactly beaten NE or Belichick consistently either. The Cards lost by 2 points not 25 man. & why are so many NFL fans giving Carson grief over 1 bad NFC Championship Game? Lots of QBs have an off night & besides the Panthers are a pretty sound football team on defense are they not? 

It just bothers me that everybody is piling on Palmer today. It's overkill IMO. I get it. AZ had a huge advantage with Brady & Gronk out. However, the final outcome was not as dire as their GM painted it. It's only week 1 not week 10. Yeah, I know. Everybody wants to pulverize NE. But, let's just tap the brakes & AZ will make the playoffs so no big deal in my estimation. 

It is because i made a typo and wrote "Asians" 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point to the whole thing is Pagano gets piled on and so does Luck for losing in a Title Game in Foxboro but yet Arians can do no wrong in many peoples eyes when he hasn't done anything that Pagano hasn't as a Head Coach. Pagano gets piled on after every loss by most Colts fans and I was just pointing out Arians lost to a Pats team that was missing their 2 best players in Brady and Gronk.

Part of that is that Bruce won 2 SB rings with the Steelers vs Chuck with no bling on his finger though. 

When former OCs have bling & as a HC get to the game before the SB in 2015, that buys Arians additional cache. Is it fair? No. But it is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

It is because i made a typo and wrote "Asians" 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@SW1, Gabe said Asians instead of Arians. It was just a typo but we were having fun messing with him.  

Alright, thanks for the clarification Gabriel & CBE. I'm a little slow on awareness today. LOL! 

You know how it's wrong to apply blanket stereotypes to specific segments of society? Let's just say, whether you meant Asians or Arians. I suck at Math & wish I was good at it, but I'm not. Another story for another thread. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Good logic.  Let's look at a completely unique situation and then judge someone by that criteria.

But let's break it down.

The team Gruden built lost in the SB.  Good and bad.  But you give him credit for building a team that went to the SB even though he didn't get them there and then you give him credit for taking a team he didn't build to the SB.  it seems to me you can't have it both way, you can't give him credit for TB Superbowl and give him credit for the Raiders getting to the SB.  Because by your reasoning he deserves no credit for taking TB to the SB because that is not a team he built.

Then let's look at what he did after the TB won the SB with the teams he built.

7-9

5-11

11-5

4-12

9-7

9-7

That is a 56.3% winning percentage... not good.

His post season record is 5-4.  That is average.

But let's even compare Apples to apples.  In Gruden 1st 4 years at Oakland he went

8-8

8-8

12-4

10-6

That is a 59.4% winning percentage.

In his third year he took the Raiders to the AFCCG in the 4th year he lost in the divisional round.  

His playoff record at Oakland was 2-2 (50%)

Pagano, as a HC went

11-5

11-5

11-5

8-8

That is a 64.1% winning percentage

In his third year he took the Colts to the AFCCG game

His playoff record is 3-3 (50%)

I have said in other threads that I am not a Pagano fan but anyone who thinks Gruden was a better coach than Pagano is not basing that on anything related to football and winning.

You should change Pagano's first season to 1-2.  The rest of the wins were Arians' (or did he come back before the playoffs, I don't remember?).

Again, Gruden did not have a QB anywhere near Luck's talent to work with.  The comparison simply isn't fair.

2 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

You should change Pagano's first season to 1-2.  The rest of the wins were Arians' (or did he come back before the playoffs, I don't remember?).

Again, Gruden did not have a QB anywhere near Luck's talent to work with.  The comparison simply isn't fair.

Arians was 9-3 in 2012. Pagano was 2-2, he did come back in the final game vs Houston. Yeah I am not sure why Pagano gets credit for the 12 games he missed. Arians was on the sidelines so he should get credit for that. So I agree with you on this subject.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Why do some people operate from the misguided premise that just because you're a HOF QB that you'd be a decent GM? I never get that leap of blind faith at all. Okay, sure John Elway is the exception that defies the rule, but usually the field to front office transition never works out well. 

Its the cult of personality effect Bro .

Thank you Adonis 1. I echo your sentiments completely. Just let the Sheriff pitch products & hang out with his kids man. He's earned it. I love how 18 says "Oh Yeah" in this commercial. I smirk every darn time he says it. haha

Peyton is enjoying his retirement & IMO is happy spending more time with family I don't expect him back in the league anytime soon..

Not so much to do with the thread topic but an earlier argument in it. 

I find it hilarious how some of you blams Asians for getting his qbs killed yet refuse to think that Pagano has anything to do with out offense. 

This was the post that was made into a joke Dude  Blame asians . I thought it was funny too the poster meant Arians of course ..:)

46 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Has any Colt coach since the sack pack had a defense that even came close to the talent level of what Guden had at Tampa Bay? You seem to be omitting the fact that games are won by the team and not only a good QB.

Just because your opinion of what Gruden had and didn't have does not make it fact like you claim.

12 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

You give Gruden credit for the Raiders success after he left, shouldn't Pagano get credit for the Colts success after he left.  All year they were playing for him.

But either way you look at it his winning percentage in his 1st four years was higher than Gruden's,

I also find it funny that you claim the comparison isn't fair because he didn't have a QB like Luck.  But in football there are 53 people on the active roster, not just the QB.  Pagano has never had a DT like Sapp, a LB like Brooks or a safety like Lynch, a CB like Charles Woodson in his prime, a receiver like Tim Brown, etc.  

The only way to compare coaches is by winning percentage and playoff record. 

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Where did someone use Mannings HOF QB status to make the case?    I said that he takes his job seriously and puts in the extra time needed to be successful.   Not everyone does that.   He knows the game.   He knows the players.   He's been around the game all his life.   Seems to me that he has the experience I want in that position.  Manning lived and breathed the NFL while watching more tape than probably any other QB.   That's why he was so good.  

How many HOF QB's have been GM's?   How many unsuccessful?   I'm sure a few.  

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point to the whole thing is Pagano gets piled on and so does Luck for losing in a Title Game in Foxboro but yet Arians can do no wrong in many peoples eyes when he hasn't done anything that Pagano hasn't as a Head Coach.

I don't recall anyone blasting Luck for the loss, but maybe I missed it.   If so, they were wrong.    Luck is too young and on a poorly run team.   We can only expect so much.  

19 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sure and then let's sign

Usain Bolt as a HB - He'd take every one to the house.

LeBron James as the rush LB - With his moves and size he'd be a beast.

Kotoshogiku for RT No one could get by the 5'11" 390lb Sumo wrestler and he'd be a devetating run blocker.

Sorry to ruin your faith in humanity buccolts.

.....These are all good ideas.....

There is no proof Peyton would be a good GM. Being a great quarterback doesn't mean he has the knowledge to build a great team especially a great defense. Elway is an anomaly. Not all ex players can just jump in to a GM position. Matt Millen for example.  How has Michael Jordan, greatest basketball player ever, performed as an nba exec

1 hour ago, MisterChadley said:

There is no proof Peyton would be a good GM. Being a great quarterback doesn't mean he has the knowledge to build a great team especially a great defense. Elway is an anomaly. Not all ex players can just jump in to a GM position. Matt Millen for example.  How has Michael Jordan, greatest basketball player ever, performed as an nba exec

There is no proof that anyone can be a good GM.

How's your proof with Grigson?

Any proof of Elway?    More scouts have failed in their career as a GM than players.   A higher % too.  

I have no proof with Grigson. Never said he was good. In fact, he's proven to not be. Elway--2 out of last 3 super bowls, built that defense. Pretty good. I would think there have been more scouts than players as GM so yeah makes sense. My point is to say that just because Peyton was our best player and a great QB doesn't mean he's the easy solution to the Colts problems. Though I'm sure if he got the job he'd do the very best he could. Probably more than we can say about Grigson.

8 minutes ago, digroute88 said:

Maybe Larry Bird could be the GM for the Colts as well as the Pacers , ha ha.

Pass.   Although for a small market team, he's done OK.   Doing OK is bad in the NBA though.   You need a top 5 pick to build a small market team to a champion.   A few exceptions of course.  

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

There is no proof that anyone can be a good GM.

How's your proof with Grigson?

Any proof of Elway?    More scouts have failed in their career as a GM than players.   A higher % too.  

Do you have a link to this stat you just made up?

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you have a link to this stat you just made up?

What stat are you referring to?

If you cannot do the math, that is on you.   The majority of GM's are former scouts.    The majority of "failed" GM's are former scouts.   The % of HOF QB's is pretty good comparably.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1648178-where-do-nfl-gms-come-from

I think we should agree to disagree as neither of us will budge.   

Unless the Colts could hire a proven GM, I'd take the chance on Peyton any day over a scout or a lawyer.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Where did someone use Mannings HOF QB status to make the case?    I said that he takes his job seriously and puts in the extra time needed to be successful.   Not everyone does that.   He knows the game.   He knows the players.   He's been around the game all his life.   Seems to me that he has the experience I want in that position.  Manning lived and breathed the NFL while watching more tape than probably any other QB.   That's why he was so good.  

How many HOF QB's have been GM's?   How many unsuccessful?   I'm sure a few.  

It's not a question of experience or breaking down film, which I agree 18 excels at Myles. No, it's a question of patience that Manning may not have for other players not as brilliant as him or able to dissect film on his intellectual level. 

Really smart people I'm talking genius here; Have little to no tolerance for being mistake prone in others or forgiving us when they don't click the way you want them too or think they should automatically like a reflex. Just because you know something like the back of your hand, it doesn't mean you can teach that skill to another person. It's a temperament thing not an IQ thing. 

I love Manning & I know he would be a superb mentor in a front office. I just have reservations about people who excel at something very few guys can do when their level of professionalism & execution in an understudy falls short of what they themselves achieved in their prime. 

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

If you cannot do the math, that is on you.   The majority of GM's are former scouts.    The majority of "failed" GM's are former scouts.   The % of HOF QB's is pretty good comparably.

Unless the Colts could hire a proven GM, I'd take the chance on Peyton any day over a scout or a lawyer.

Oh,   So now the qualifier is they have to be a HOF player.    

As stated in the last thread, what make anyone think Manning is even interested in a GM position? He has not said that he is interested and I doubt he is.

He is more than likely happy doing what he is doing now. Being with his family, doing commercials and running his businesses.

Why this subject is even brought up dumbfounds me because there is no clues that Manning is interested in taking a job that will take his time away from what he is doing now.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Just because you like Manning does not mean he would be a good GM. I like Manning too but reality is where I am at with this.

Manning has not said or speculated he has any interest in being a GM. He said he wanted to spend time with his family so why would he want a job that would take that away?

He also does his commercials that most of the proceeds go to his foundations.

He has contracts with a bunch of companies and products. He has earned over 400 million dollars so him being a GM is more than likely pretty low on his to do list.

You are wishing for something that will never happen IMO.

Also like it or not Grigson is a proven GM no matter what you think.

Peyton would be an obvious upgrade over Grigson. PM is more than qualified to be a GM, where as Grigson was not qualified when he was hired. Someone mentioned Matt Millen earler, and Grigson is somehow worse than Millen. Not sure what we, the Colts fans, did to deserve such a terrible GM

11 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Peyton would be an obvious upgrade over Grigson. PM is more than qualified to be a GM, where as Grigson was not qualified when he was hired. Someone mentioned Matt Millen earler, and Grigson is somehow worse than Millen. Not sure what we, the Colts fans, did to deserve such a terrible GM

That has to be the most uneducated comment you have ever said in this forum and that is saying a lot.

If you believe that is true you need to find another sport to follow because your knowledge of NFL football is severely low.