Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth Chart

RockThatBlue

53 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My word they need some olineman. Obviously, the Colts feel differently, but Haeg is the only backup on the roster that I am comfortable with playing any extended period of time.

I'm with you, our depth at OL is scary and not in a good way! Any time i see jersey #72 jog on the field i cringe.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My word they need some olineman. Obviously, the Colts feel differently, but Haeg is the only backup on the roster that I am comfortable with playing any extended period of time.

No doubt, I didn't realize until seeing the depth chart just how bad our depth is at oline. I'm ok with Haeg and Harrison, to a lesser degree, as backups but not the other two. I certainly don't want to see Clark take any meaningful snaps this year.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Suddenly,  I see the name Akeem Ayers at OLB.....    not seen his name before.

So,  I'm guessing he's the name that took Chase Coffman's spot at tight end.

They cut neiko Thorpe to make room for ayers. I think it might have actually been Thorpe that took coffmans spot...that or the safety who's name eludes me at the moment. :)

Looking at the roster really makes me upset we didn't go after Sitten (assuming we didnt). We could really use another decent Olinemen. Another quality backup CB would be nice as well. I thought we had that in Thorpe but I guess not. I really hope im wrong but im not very optimistic about this roster. 

15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Nope, he is not listed on the PS.  THey must have cut him to make room for one of the DBs they signed over the last couple of days or because they are planning on signing the OLB from Jax.

yeah Coffman was cut

17 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, looking at the lack of depth on that offensive line is scary. Especially given the history of our offensive line's inability to stay healthy. Ugh

10 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Looking at the roster really makes me upset we didn't go after Sitten (assuming we didnt). We could really use another decent Olinemen. Another quality backup CB would be nice as well. I thought we had that in Thorpe but I guess not. I really hope im wrong but im not very optimistic about this roster. 

Looks extremely thin doesnt it? I hope you're wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Between injuries and age and rookie's this entire roster looks really scary.

I wonder if we'd have any interest in Josh Kline the guard that just got released from the Patriots after the Philly trade broke down.    I noticed we scouted him before the draft in 2013.  Could be a good depth player maybe.  I know he started against the Colts when they blew us out in the AFC Championship game.  He's started other games as well.  I think he's 26 years old.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

I wonder if we'd have any interest in Josh Kline the guard that just got released from the Patriots after the Philly trade broke down.    I noticed we scouted him before the draft in 2013.  Could be a good depth player maybe.  I know he started against the Colts when they blew us out in the AFC Championship game.  He's started other games as well.  I think he's 26 years old.

Kline is meh.... There is a reason why Philly didn't want him, and then BB cut him in favour of a middle round rookie.

This oline looks thin, but its 9 men, most teams carry no more than 9, and only a handful of teams have decent talent behind their starters. The starters must remain healthy, otherwise the line will struggle.

18 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Whats surprising about that? Henry is coming off a major injury. 

13 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Seriously - the reason for this has escaped you?  

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anderson is still not 100% and likely not starting this week.

That's the only reason.      Otherwise,  Anderson is 1st string.

I thought he made that statement because they still have Vontae and Sio Moore listed as starters even though they are hurt right now which is what I personally thought at first. Maybe Anderson will still be behind Kerr even when he is ready to play.

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Kline is meh.... There is a reason why Philly didn't want him, and then BB cut him in favour of a middle round rookie.

This oline looks thin, but its 9 men, most teams carry no more than 9, and only a handful of teams have decent talent behind their starters. The starters must remain healthy, otherwise the line will struggle.

Kline is meh really and you have looked at our OL? We have 9 players yes but 2 can't help Blythe is the 3rd C. He isn't strong enough to play G he should've been cut. Clark isn't ready to see the field. That puts us at 7 then Haeg was a DNP 6 Mewhort and Reitz were LP. 

According to my math that leaves us with 4 healthy OL. It takes 5 form an OL.  Kline can play all 3 spots on the interior. He has played in 33 NFL games starting 18 at L & RG and was listed as the 2nd C for the Pats. He sounds exactly like the guy we need. Kline & Harrison back up the interior OL and Haeg is the swing T. Clark watches in street clothes. Blythe gets cut. The OL doesn't look so bad.

I like Blythe I have watched him play more than I'd like my buddy is from Iowa. He played some G as a freshman before going to C for the rest of his career 40 games.  He struggled against the bigger guys in college. I think he's a pure C in the NFL. He may be able to play G at some point but I don't thinks it's this year. He needs to get bigger and stronger to play C. Can you see him against an odd front in the NFL ? He really doesn't have much value to this team. The biggest head scratcher on the roster. 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Kline is meh really and you have looked at our OL? We have 9 players yes but 2 can't help Blythe is the 3rd C. He isn't strong enough to play G he should've been cut. Clark isn't ready to see the field. That puts us at 7 then Haeg was a DNP 6 Mewhort and Reitz were LP. 

According to my math that leaves us with 4 healthy OL. It takes 5 form an OL.  Kline can play all 3 spots on the interior. He has played in 33 NFL games starting 18 at L & RG and was listed as the 2nd C for the Pats. He sounds exactly like the guy we need. Kline & Harrison back up the interior OL and Haeg is the swing T. Clark watches in street clothes. Blythe gets cut. The OL doesn't look so bad.

Have you seen Kline recently, or you base your opinion merely on some stats from the past? It doesnt matter what he did last year or 2 years ago. He's been cut, and cut for a reason. Check the Patriots forums, and read their opinion about the guy. The Patriots may be even slimmer at OL than the Colts atm, and they still did everything they could to get rid of him. I didn't say we are set at OL, I just said, Kline wouldn't solve anything. I could list at least 10-15 free agents who I would sign before even consider bringing in Kline.

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I thought he made that statement because they still have Vontae and Sio Moore listed as starters even though they are hurt right now which is what I personally thought at first. Maybe Anderson will still be behind Kerr even when he is ready to play.

Moore may play this week. Hes practicing full pads.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

I guess the brain trust was counting on all the lineman remaining healthy for the entire season.

The "Sunny Day Paradox" - the error of trying to build a team that works well only when better players are healthy. It never happens. Another paradox is training to avoid mistakes at the expense of training to gain positional expertise. The game is too fast to consciously think your way through during the play of the game (Klein - Los Angeles Sports & Fitness Magazine, Nov-Dec 2013).

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I know but I thought it was Irsay who made the comment that he thought he would miss the game.  He has been practicing with a brace so my prediction is he will be a surprise starter on Sunday.

I think he's just practicing to get back in the groove.  Irsay said he will not play at all.

Appearing on 1070 the Fan with JMV on Tuesday afternoon, Irsay said that “Mewhort will be out” on Sunday, though added that “He’s feeling really well though” and that “he is ahead of schedule.”

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/7/12835492/jim-irsay-says-jack-mewhort-will-be-out-sunday-for-colts-game-vs-lions

Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong on the subject.

So here is the question.  Is Joe Haeg playing and presumably starting at LG?

Also Quan Bray over Chester Rodgers at WR???  Bray is a slightly better returner but Rodgers from what we saw in the pre-season is way ahead of Bray as a receiver.  

Also it looks like they are going to ahead and start Geathers over TJ Green.  I'm not sure if I like that decision.  

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

So here is the question.  Is Joe Haeg playing and presumably starting at LG?

Also Quan Bray over Chester Rodgers at WR???  Bray is a slightly better returner but Rodgers from what we saw in the pre-season is way ahead of Bray as a receiver.  

Also it looks like they are going to ahead and start Geathers over TJ Green.  I'm not sure if I like that decision.  

1.It would appear that way. Best option right now

2.We wont see many 4 wide receiver sets anyway

3.Geathers was always going to start this year over Green. Green will take Adams spot in the next couple years

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he's just practicing to get back in the groove.  Irsay said he will not play at all.

Appearing on 1070 the Fan with JMV on Tuesday afternoon, Irsay said that “Mewhort will be out” on Sunday, though added that “He’s feeling really well though” and that “he is ahead of schedule.”

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/7/12835492/jim-irsay-says-jack-mewhort-will-be-out-sunday-for-colts-game-vs-lions

Forgive me if I'm reading you wrong on the subject.

I just read where Stephen Holder saw Mewhort taking legitimate reps in practice today and was impressed.  He said he wouldn't rule him out for Sunday although Harrison was taking 1st. team reps.   Maybe it's trending to be a game time decision.  I wouldn't rush him back but maybe he's a fast healer.  Maybe he plays with a brace.  I guess we'll know soon enough but I would not be surprised if Mewhort, Moore and Reitz start.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I just read where Stephen Holder saw Mewhort taking legitimate reps in practice today and was impressed.  He said he wouldn't rule him out for Sunday although Harrison was taking 1st. team reps.   Maybe it's trending to be a game time decision.  I wouldn't rush him back but maybe he's a fast healer.  Maybe he plays with a brace.  I guess we'll know soon enough but I would not be surprised if Mewhort, Moore and Reitz start.

We'll see!   We need all of them if able to play.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Something about Sio Moore tells me he'll be playing.  Every practice picture I see he appears to be full go in terms of the reps.  I know Monachino has not mentioned his name, but maybe that's by design.