Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curt Maggitt UDFA

indyagent17

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Here is some video on him. This kid has a chip on his shoulder and I hope he and Bates can make an impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=107&v=B57QMsb2IS8

I am wondering if this is the signing which Grigs talked about in his press conference -- he said there was some internal debate with the last pick about leaving a player on the board but that they were thrilled to have signed him as a free agent (then he declined to say who).

I'm thinking it's Maggit, Josh Ferguson or Ron Thompson who Grigs was talking about -- NFL.com had Ferguson as the top RB available after the draft and Thompson as the top DE after the draft, while Maggit was ranked their #4 LB.

Maybe he can be the gem of this UDFA class. Maybe he can give us 4-5 sacks anyway. As it stands now. If we don't trade for an EDGE rusher Mathis HAS to have a pro bowl type year for us to be true Super Bowl contenders.

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Maybe he can be the gem of this UDFA class. Maybe he can give us 4-5 sacks anyway. As it stands now. If we don't trade for an EDGE rusher Mathis HAS to have a pro bowl type year for us to be true Super Bowl contenders.

TJ Green can bring the heat on safety blitzes. 

Ridgeway is a disruptive force in the middle. And we've seen how interior pressure affects a QB. 

Our offense should be better equipped to sustain drives and that will keep the defense off the field. 

We have a new Defensive coordinator who may be better at manufacturing pressure. 

Henry Anderson should be back eventually. 

All reasons for hope in our defense and pass rush. No need for all the doom and gloom post. We'll be fine

You can see where he needs work. Needs better balance when he bends the corner. Also needs a counter move. He's coachable but he'll have to make the team as a STs player first while Monnachino coaches him up. I haven't seen his combine or pro day numbers yet, but he looks like a solid athlete. Played in a top conference too.

I just hope he doesn't end up being one of the guys implicated in the Tennessee scandal stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can see where he needs work. Needs better balance when he bends the corner. Also needs a counter move. He's coachable but he'll have to make the team as a STs player first while Monnachino coaches him up. I haven't seen his combine or pro day numbers yet, but he looks like a solid athlete. Played in a top conference too.

I just hope he doesn't end up being one of the guys implicated in the Tennessee scandal stuff. 

He didnt go to the combine. he was injured 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He didnt go to the combine. he was injured 

Yeah I saw. All he did at his pro day was 22 reps on the bench and his positional workout. So not much is known about his athletic profile. I'd guess and say he's a 4.78-4.85 guy.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I saw. All he did at his pro day was 22 reps on the bench and his positional workout. So not much is known about his athletic profile. I'd guess and say he's a 4.78-4.85 guy.

Id say thats about right. maybe 4.7 really fast off the corner

Judging by some other video I've watched on him he seems very well spoken and interacts great with media, and a beast on the field! Hoping he can be an impact player for us at some point.

3 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I am wondering if this is the signing which Grigs talked about in his press conference -- he said there was some internal debate with the last pick about leaving a player on the board but that they were thrilled to have signed him as a free agent (then he declined to say who).

I'm thinking it's Maggit, Josh Ferguson or Ron Thompson who Grigs was talking about -- NFL.com had Ferguson as the top RB available after the draft and Thompson as the top DE after the draft, while Maggit was ranked their #4 LB.

I think you're exactly right.  he didn't want to mention him to avoid any slight it might project toward drafted players.  good call on grigs part IMO. 

3 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

From mu understanding it was Ron Thompson!

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

At 35 I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

From mu understanding it was Ron Thompson!

A reporter said something like "Are you talking about Josh Ferguson?" and Grigs said he wouldn't answer (as ChrisFarley said -- probably the right/professional move on Grigs' part).

Anyway, I just made a post about some of the UDFAs which I like a lot -- Thompson is one of them, he seems like he could be a pretty good pass-rusher if we run some sort of hybrid system where we switch to 4-3 in certain blitz packages...

There were a few players who were projected to be drafted -- Ferguson, Thompson, Maggitt, T. Smith, and the TE from Arkansas State -- so I wouldn't be shocked if it was any of them that Grigs was talking about -- any reason for you to believe it was Thompson?

20 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

A reporter said something like "Are you talking about Josh Ferguson?" and Grigs said he wouldn't answer (as ChrisFarley said -- probably the right/professional move on Grigs' part).

Anyway, I just made a post about some of the UDFAs which I like a lot -- Thompson is one of them, he seems like he could be a pretty good pass-rusher if we run some sort of hybrid system where we switch to 4-3 in certain blitz packages...

There were a few players who were projected to be drafted -- Ferguson, Thompson, Maggitt, T. Smith, and the TE from Arkansas State -- so I wouldn't be shocked if it was any of them that Grigs was talking about -- any reason for you to believe it was Thompson?

No certainly not positive it was Thompson. I just read somewhere that the Colts contacted him early and paid him a small bonus as an UDFA. I didn't see where they did that with any other UDFA unless i missed it. 

Been watching him throughout the draft process. Had him as a CFA pickup in the draft contest on here along with Ron Thompson. Guy is a third round talent but needs to stay out of trouble and work with Mathis on developing pass rush moves.

I graduated from Florida State and follow college recruiting heavily. Maggit was a 4star kid from South Fl that was a bit of a tweener if I remember correctly. I think that is why he landed at UT and not one of the big 3 FL schools. Anyways I am thrilled to sign him as a UDFA! Kid can play ball.

I hope his injuries are behind him. He definitely will get an opportunity to make an impact for us given that we desperately need pass rushers. I'm surprised we got him as an UDFA. Seems like the only thing holding him back are injuries. Had a really solid 2014 campaign, 48 tackles, 15 TFLs, 11.0 Sacks. 

22 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Been watching him throughout the draft process. Had him as a CFA pickup in the draft contest on here along with Ron Thompson. Guy is a third round talent but needs to stay out of trouble and work with Mathis on developing pass rush moves.

Maggitt has a history of getting in trouble?

12 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

@CR91 is high on him too. Honestly never heard of him, but from the tape he looks like he turns the corner great and gets low. Hope he gets to 100%... Let's see what he has

Yes, that's about it, has good speed and turns the corner well. However, if a blocker attacks him and puts a hand on his chest he's easily taken out of the play.

6 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Maggitt has a history of getting in trouble?

Don't know if its a "history" but he allegedly assualted someone who tried to help a rape victim. We don't need anything like that rolling over to our franchise. I'm more worried about the injury issues.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Why?  What difference does it make?  No one cared when the stuff from Tennessee was brought up about Manning over a decade ago.  As long as they don't do it in the pros and get suspended for it, who really cares what these guys did in college?

18 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Why?  What difference does it make?  No one cared when the stuff from Tennessee was brought up about Manning over a decade ago.  As long as they don't do it in the pros and get suspended for it, who really cares what these guys did in college?

A woman was raped.    Kind of a big deal

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Maggitt had 11 sacks for the Vols in 2014.  Nice prospect, but his biggest issue is health as he gets a significant injury just about every year.

13 hours ago, SP_21 said:

TJ Green can bring the heat on safety blitzes. 

Ridgeway is a disruptive force in the middle. And we've seen how interior pressure affects a QB. 

Our offense should be better equipped to sustain drives and that will keep the defense off the field. 

We have a new Defensive coordinator who may be better at manufacturing pressure. 

Henry Anderson should be back eventually. 

All reasons for hope in our defense and pass rush. No need for all the doom and gloom post. We'll be fine

I don't think it will be long before TJ Green is back there with Geathers.  Adams age seemed like it was catching up to him last year in terms of injuries, loss of speed and what not.  He was still productive at creating take aways though.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

What? The scandal was a big deal. It more or less stated that for years Tennessee has been covering up sex scandals. There was also a story about the guy who spilled the beans being punched by team mates and being called a traitor. And then there's the recent rape.

Its a big deal if he's implicated in anything.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think it will be long before TJ Green is back there with Geathers.  Adams age seemed like it was catching up to him last year in terms of injuries, loss of speed and what not.  He was still productive at creating take aways though.

I agree. Did you see him come off the edge? He's scary fast. Might be a good way to manufacture pressure this season. 

6 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I agree. Did you see him come off the edge? He's scary fast. Might be a good way to manufacture pressure this season. 

I think Green at some point this year will end up starting to be honest.