Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety?

MarquisJ

Safety?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see starting day 1 at the safety position?

• Mike Adams
    • (quality) draft pick

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams is getting older but he's stayed pretty healthy for the most part.  I'd go with Geathers and Adams.  I'd save the draft picks on linemen or pass rushers.  Plus I personally think it's a good idea to have some experience back there at safety.  If we draft a starting safety to play with Geathers, there's not going to be a lot of experience back there.  Just my opinion!

5 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers and a rookie. For that reason, Adams is a must IMO

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers (1 year experience) and a 35 year old.... if we got Darian Thompson or Von Bell you really dont want them back there day 1?? They'd be flying making plays everywhere

6 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers (1 year experience) and a 35 year old.... if we got Darian Thompson or Von Bell your really dont want them back there day 1?? They'd be flying making plays everywhere

Not day 1. Now by week 4,5, or 6? Maybe, I think we'll need veteran leadership in the secondary to start especially with some new faces back there

22 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers (1 year experience) and a 35 year old.... if we got Darian Thompson or Von Bell you really dont want them back there day 1?? They'd be flying making plays everywhere

Well, more likely also not reading things as they should and having Problems.

14 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Not day 1. Now by week 4,5, or 6? Maybe, I think we'll need veteran leadership in the secondary to start especially with some new faces back there

IMO that would not be smart... ideally your asking him to miss out on great expierence weeks 1-6.. id be at ease knowing he started day 1 and gained something for the playoffs. We could play some really good wr cores that he would need to start and gain that experience. long story short Mike is 35 and the team wants to get younger let the boys play they might surprise you

18 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

You want experience at safety Adams has been playing at a very high level if he plays like he has no rookie safety will come in and make as big of a impact . You just cant expect a rookie to come in and be in the right place at the right time . A 1 year and a rookie starting is a disaster waiting to happen .  

7 minutes ago, B~Town said:

You want experience at safety Adams has been playing at a very high level if he plays like he has no rookie safety will come in and make as big of a impact . You just cant expect a rookie to come in and be in the right place at the right time . A 1 year and a rookie starting is a disaster waiting to happen .  

hmmm maybe but you guys make it seem like geathers and 35mike is way better lol....

Only way Adams isn't the starter for the whole season is if he's injured IMO. I imagine if they do draft a safety he'll get roughly the same amount of snaps as Geathers did last season to break him in and get him comfortable.  No way they throw him into the fire after how decent Adams has been.

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

The only way it is not way better would be if Adams performance falls off a cliff .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DIL8JyZRU

People seem to forget how good Adams has been for us

LOL bro i love Mike Adams but what you just showed did no justification.... every play i saw on that vid someone else made the play or dropped ball but no knock on Mike! but if u have any or just a little scouting ability which im sure you do not one "highlight" in that vid did he actually make that play just saying

25 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

IMO that would not be smart... ideally your asking him to miss out on great expierence weeks 1-6.. id be at ease knowing he started day 1 and gained something for the playoffs. We could play some really good wr cores that he would need to start and gain that experience. long story short Mike is 35 and the team wants to get younger let the boys play they might surprise you

If we draft one, let's get them through camp before we pencil them in as a day 1 starter. Just makes the most sense to me. 

12 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Only way Adams isn't the starter for the whole season is if he's injured IMO. I imagine if they do draft a safety he'll get roughly the same amount of snaps as Geathers did last season to break him in and get him comfortable.  No way they throw him into the fire after how decent Adams has been.

loved you used the word decent and not "very high level" like someone else said LOL

4 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

LOL bro i love Mike Adams but what you just showed did no justification.... every play i saw on that vid someone else made the play or dropped ball but no knock on Mike! but if u have any or just a little scouting ability which im sure you do not one "highlight" in that vid did he actually make that play just saying

All about being in the right place at the right time

1 minute ago, MarquisJ said:

loved you used the word decent and not "very high level" like someone else said LOL

What about Adams play does no equal playing at a very high level . I guess our 2 time pro bowl player is just decent :thinking:

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

All about being in the right place at the right time

What about Adams play does no equal playing at a very high level . I guess our 2 time pro bowl player is just decent :thinking:

agreed on your first statement but i guess since i watch a lot of NFL outside of the colts too when i think of high level playing safeties Mike probably wont be in my top 20 personally... not saying that a rookie would come in and be in it just talking about mike right now and his "high level" playing.. I think Everyone hit it spot on with his "decent " play nothing more than a tad bit over adequate.

I'm okay with picking up a safety between the first 3 rounds.  Adams is still playing well but he kept getting injured last year.  He's 35 so I wouldn't be surprised if he's injured again with starter level playing time.

Lol why would Adams not start? You don't just give his seat to the next kid in line. He has to earn it from him by playing at a higher level... literally nothing Adams has done the last couple years justifies benching him, he's still our best safety. You play him till he's injured, has a drop off, gets outplayed or retires. 

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

They would also make some  rookie mistakes and get burned by seasoned veteran QB's at other times.  Exceptionally few rookies are so gifted they dominate as 1st year starters.  In fact, a study recently showed you're a lucky team if your rook plays average in year one.  A good many play below average.  If a rook wins the job over Adams in training camp/pre-season, then he has earned the position. This rarely happens though... and for good reason.  Besides, the faster and more complicated NFL offenses will still confuse even a top notch rookie DB here and there until they have been around the block a couple times.

I'm a huge Adams fan, but we need some quality backup behind him. He's 35 and while he's been pretty durable, anything can happen. Colt Anderson was not that great when he stepped in either. 

That said, I don't see us addressing safety in at least the first 3 rounds. 

2 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Personally I'd rather see a draft pick play. Loved what Mike did for us and I'd love it even more coming off the bench in situation plays. Would be awesome depth!

So.......

Translating what the Colts actually did this off-season into what you'd like to see happen.....

You'd like the Colts to bench Mike Adams,  draft and start a rookie at his spot and start Geathers in the other spot since we let Lowery walk?      Is that about it?

Has Adams showed any sign of slowing down?     Not so far as I can see....  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So.......

Translating what the Colts actually did this off-season into what you'd like to see happen.....

You'd like the Colts to bench Mike Adams,  draft and start a rookie at his spot and start Geathers in the other spot since we let Lowery walk?      Is that about it?

Has Adams showed any sign of slowing down?     Not so far as I can see....  

so injuries isnt slowing down? lol wow

I'm with most of you. Of course Adams should start, but we are thin at the position depth-wise and shouldnt assume that the guy in his mid thirties and the human missile will both stay healthy all season. 

We will need a starter at FS in the near future, for sure. It seems like a smart idea to draft one now. It might be a position that can wait until next off-season, considering our starters for this year are set, but I think iit's a bigger 2016 need than ILB or RB... probably DL as well. 

4 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Adams has missed 3 games in 5 years ... have a clue how many players have been that durable ? It is ok to eat crow and admit you are wrong .

what exactly am i wrong about? i dont recall saying how many games he missed all i said was that he was injured which is accurate? It is ok to eat crow and admit you are wrong .

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Adams but that don't mean we shouldn't draft one this year we need a ballhawk to groom to take over for Adams 

Yeah I agree. I want Joseph bad. I just hope he falls to the 3rd like some believe he will. Some say late 1st, some say 3rd so who knows.

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Doesn't matter. He was a pro bowl safety and there is no way a rookie should be given his spot sight unseen because he missed 3 games in 5 yrs. THAT is dumb. 

you just said age doesnt matter hmm lol you should probably reevaluate your argument.. i said it was dumb because you compared andrews situation to Michael's hahahahah when its obviously way different kid.. andrew isnt at the end of his career getting hurt now is he??

6 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Personally I'd rather see a draft pick play. Loved what Mike did for us and I'd love it even more coming off the bench in situation plays. Would be awesome depth!

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

If we drafted a guy like Neal, Bell, Joseph, etc he'd probably be starting along side Mike Adams. Maybe even Thompson and Cash too.

Allow me to let you in on a secret.  Rookies have to earn their starting job.  It isn't handed to them.

Secret #2 - If a rookie plays as well as the vet he is competing against, the vet keeps his starting job.  A rookie has to outperform his on team competition.  Often, it has to be by a notable margin, in order to wrestle away the starting job.  A veteran has been in NFL situations that a rookie has never seen/experienced at the NFL level, and has already earned his stripes.  That is why the NFL/NFLPA allowed altering of the rookie pay scale.  It was ridiculous that many rookies were making far more in the 1st contract than many proven, better, and seasoned Veteran football players. {I think that they went too far in salary reduction though, but I digress}.

I think UFA's in the future would avoid you and any contract offer if it is proven you draft rookies and give them the job over reigning Vet players without the rooks proving their worth first.  And rooks you drafted will want to leave when they become UFA's, because they may fear of getting replaced by a newly drafted rookie, just like they replaced somebody else.  It just doesn't appear to set a good precedent.

Now, a rookie vs. a 1 year player?  Let them battle it out too.  It isn't hard to tell after a few practices/drills who can and can't play.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Allow me to let you in on a secret.  Rookies have to earn their starting job.  It isn't handed to them.

Secret #2 - If a rookie plays as well as the vet he is competing against, the vet keeps his starting job.  A rookie has to outperform his on team competition.  Often, it has to be by a notable margin, in order to wrestle away the starting job.  A veteran has been in NFL situations that a rookie has never see/experienced at the NFL level, and his already earned his stripes.  That is why the NFL/NFLPA allowed altering of the rookie pay scale.  It was ridiculous that rookie were making far more in the 1st contract than many proven, better, and seasoned Veteran ball players. {I think that they went too far in salary reduction though {but I digress}.

I think UFA's in the future would avoid you and any contract offer if it is proven you draft rookies and give them the job over reigning Vet players without the rooks proving their worth first.  And rooks you drafted will want to leave when they become UFA's, because they may fear of getting replaced by a newly drafted rookie, just like they replaced somebody else.  It just doesn't appear to set a good precedent.

Now, a rookie vs. a 1 year player?  Let them battle it out too.  It isn't hard to tell after a few practices/drills who can and can't play.

let me let you in on a little secret... the OP was a opinionated question asking who you would rather see lol not who deserves it? everyone knows that what you just said. atleast i hope