Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety?

MarquisJ

Safety?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see starting day 1 at the safety position?

• Mike Adams
    • (quality) draft pick

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't want to start a rookie alongside a second year player starting for the first time.  If we draft a safety let him play behind Adams like Gaethers did behind Lowery.  He has to learn our system and beat out the experienced vet in front of him.  Then the job is his. 

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

let me let you in on a little secret... the OP was a opinionated question asking who you would rather see lol not who deserves it? everyone knows that what you just said. atleast i hope

Put it on the record that I trust in the evaluation of the club coaches.  Whomever they feel gives the team the best chance at victory is who I want them to play. I want to see the best players at their position out on the field. 

I may have favorite Colt players, but rookies aren't usually in that bunch until they pass muster. If the coaches start them, I'm on board, though.  When it appears that they are ignoring the possible errors in judgment regarding starting personnel in an fashion, only then may I join in the chorus of folks saying 'what gives?'

So you can have your opinion too.  Even if it goes against conventional NFL wisdom and procedure. So may I ask, what is the purpose/goal of your OP? 

2 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

you just said age doesnt matter hmm lol you should probably reevaluate your argument.. i said it was dumb because you compared andrews situation to Michael's hahahahah when its obviously way different kid.. andrew isnt at the end of his career getting hurt now is he??

Age doesn't matter nearly as much as level of play. I'd rather have Drew Brees then Tom Savage.  But by your argument Brees should get the boot for an inferior,  younger player. Maybe you should rethink your argument.  any player isn't unseated until the competition behind them can prove to be better, and to say that a rookie should beat out a pro bowler by week one is laughable. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is the exception,  not the rule. 

11 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Unless lowery asked for too much money I don't understand how they let him go he was good this past season

I think he was just a stop gap until geathers got the hang of the NFL. I would assume this means he's seen as better then Lowry going into this yr. I do think we need some depth though. 

10 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

what exactly am i wrong about? i dont recall saying how many games he missed all i said was that he was injured which is accurate? It is ok to eat crow and admit you are wrong .

Lol "kid"...  You crack me up, but it's also sad because you think you're all high and mighty like you have a clue what you're talking about and sound soooo stupid 

10 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

so injuries isnt slowing down? lol wow

What injuries?    The man played in 13 of 16 games -- all starts and put up terrific numbers again.   Including 5 intercetions.      Here are his stats....

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Mike-Adams/f40f61df-fa0b-4957-a512-d846032469cd

So,  chuckle all you like,   but NO,  I don't see him slowing down based on last year's effort.

Do injuries mean Andrew Luck is slowing down?   lol wow....

12 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

agreed on your first statement but i guess since i watch a lot of NFL outside of the colts too when i think of high level playing safeties Mike probably wont be in my top 20 personally... not saying that a rookie would come in and be in it just talking about mike right now and his "high level" playing.. I think Everyone hit it spot on with his "decent " play nothing more than a tad bit over adequate.

You said it right. Not in your top 20 personally. There where the problem lies. Your assessment of Adam's is not accurate nor real. Till someone earns his spot he is not going anywhere. I don't think reality calls for a rookie to do that. Adam's has earned his spot by his play. Your dismissal and lack of acknowledgement of his talent just does not compute.

Some of you might be a bit stupid lol Adams is our best secondary player he rivals Vontae because he generates more turnovers than him his coverage is like Davis is but he gets us the ball more than anyone has these past 3 seasons 

11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I agree. I want Joseph bad. I just hope he falls to the 3rd like some believe he will. Some say late 1st, some say 3rd so who knows.

I haven't seen Joseph but a lot are high on him I do really like Thomson tho he's bigger then Joseph that's what I like 

15 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers (1 year experience) and a 35 year old.... if we got Darian Thompson or Von Bell you really dont want them back there day 1?? They'd be flying making plays everywhere

In reality, if we draft a Safety too early, and expect him to start day one, he will be busy, not flying around making plays, but being dragged 3 to 5 yards trying to tackle all the RB's that trucked our LBer's back at the LoS.......

19 minutes ago, Itsacoltthing said:

We have a lot more holes to fill other than replacing Adams. I know he is getting older but, would rather him starting than a late round rookie. Our first 4 picks need to be DE-OT-C-OLB.

Hate to break it to you, but we aren't looking at OT this year. team seems pretty smitten with Good and/or Reitz as our RT. RG and center would be where they are looking to upgrade. 

12 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Hate to break it to you, but we aren't looking at OT this year. team seems pretty smitten with Good and/or Reitz as our RT. RG and center would be where they are looking to upgrade. 

Who is we ??  From past experience knowing who Grigson is looking at and who he picks has not matched what most think. You have no clue as to who Grigson is going to take just like the rest of us.

7 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think you are right about this... at least that's the team line for now...

However, I can completely see us drafting a college OT in round 2, despite the FO's love for for the ones we have... A guy like Spriggs (who probably wont last until our second pick) would be an ideal candidate to draft and move inside to guard... He weighs 305, if im not mistaken and is very athletic. Not only could a guy like Spriggs hypothetically make the transition inside and solidify the RG position, that kind of player might be in line to take over at RT if Good struggles or the new guy impresses enough early in his rookie year... I have no problem with that, given that JR plays some guard and DG could probably get some looks there as well. 

I guess what im saying is that it isnt out of the realm of possibility that Grigson drafts a Tackle in the first couple rounds, in my view. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who is we ??  From past experience knowing who Grigson is looking at and who he picks has not matched what most think. You have no clue as to who Grigson is going to take just like the rest of us.

Just going by what they are saying. When they say they are set at tackle and are looking at interior linemen it seems to point that way. I also haven't seen too many tackles linked to us, so I am connecting the dots a bit I suppose. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting a tackle (conklin is my favorite pick at 18), but everything they are saying seems to say otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think you are right about this... at least that's the team line for now...

However, I can completely see us drafting a college OT in round 2, despite the FO's love for for the ones we have... A guy like Spriggs (who probably wont last until our second pick) would be an ideal candidate to draft and move inside to guard... He weighs 305, if im not mistaken and is very athletic. Not only could a guy like Spriggs hypothetically make the transition inside and solidify the RG position, that kind of player might be in line to take over at RT if Good struggles or the new guy impresses enough early in his rookie year... I have no problem with that, given that JR plays some guard and DG could probably get some looks there as well. 

I guess what im saying is that it isnt out of the realm of possibility that Grigson drafts a Tackle in the first couple rounds, in my view. 

Honestly I would be pumped if we got a college OT that we could start at guard, and possibly kick out if need be. my previous post is in no way my preference,  just what I am observing from the way our offseason has been going.

To be fair I'm even getting worried we might not grab a guard either, as we are being linked to a lot of centers and not much else on the line. I hope I'm wrong on that though. 

19 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

I'm not comfortable leaving it up to Geathers (1 year experience) and a 35 year old.... if we got Darian Thompson or Von Bell you really dont want them back there day 1?? They'd be flying making plays everywhere

So you'd prefer to leave it to Geathers (1 year experience) and a rookie (0 NFL experience) right........yikes if you're concerned that Geathers has only 1 year experience why would a rookie next to him make you feel better?

17 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

so injuries isnt slowing down? lol wow

No, If we see in practice and training camp that the few injuries has slowed him down then we can reevaluate but so far Mike Adams had by far and away been our best safety and hasn't showed any signs of declined play. 

4 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

And don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting a tackle (conklin is my favorite pick at 18), but everything they are saying seems to say otherwise. 

I know but we never really know what is going to happen with Grigson. Depending on how the draft plays out and what effect it has on the Colts draft board, it could change quickly.

10 hours ago, Nostrils said:

Lol "kid"...  You crack me up, but it's also sad because you think you're all high and mighty like you have a clue what you're talking about and sound soooo stupid 

what a pointless post

9 hours ago, will426 said:

Some of you might be a bit stupid lol Adams is our best secondary player he rivals Vontae because he generates more turnovers than him his coverage is like Davis is but he gets us the ball more than anyone has these past 3 seasons 

Adams is our best secondary player?

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What injuries?    The man played in 13 of 16 games -- all starts and put up terrific numbers again.   Including 5 intercetions.      Here are his stats....

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Mike-Adams/f40f61df-fa0b-4957-a512-d846032469cd

So,  chuckle all you like,   but NO,  I don't see him slowing down based on last year's effort.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

you are entitled to your opinon, i dont see him starting the entire season but we'll see. and that comparison is dumb andrew isnt 35 lol

21 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

what exactly am i wrong about? i dont recall saying how many games he missed all i said was that he was injured which is accurate? It is ok to eat crow and admit you are wrong .

This is such nonsense. You know exactly what you insinuated with that age comment. Just eat the crow, I hear it doesn't actually taste so bad. 

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

This is such nonsense. You know exactly what you insinuated with that age comment. Just eat the crow, I hear it doesn't actually taste so bad. 

so help me understand something.... im wrong because he was not injured? Are you saying im wrong about something im absolutely 100% right about?

4 hours ago, ty4atd said:

So you'd prefer to leave it to Geathers (1 year experience) and a rookie (0 NFL experience) right........yikes if you're concerned that Geathers has only 1 year experience why would a rookie next to him make you feel better?

No, If we see in practice and training camp that the few injuries has slowed him down then we can reevaluate but so far Mike Adams had by far and away been our best safety and hasn't showed any signs of declined play. 

for your first comment i was alluding to neither sounds better.. (to me)

and agreed all i was saying is and if you read all my posts you would know my opinion is that id rather see new blood not a 35 year old covering dhopkins

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

Adams is our best secondary player?

Which is more important incomplete passes or turnovers  depends what you rate higher. And for me turnovers>forcing incompletions he gets us the ball back and has done so more than anyone on this team since joining 

4 minutes ago, will426 said:

Which is more important incomplete passes or turnovers  depends what you rate higher. And for me turnovers>forcing incompletions he gets us the ball back and has done so more than anyone on this team since joining 

you are entitled to that opinion i wont say your "wrong" like others are saying in here about what i say lol but i thought it was clear who are best secondary player is but hey from what you guys say what do i know??

1 minute ago, MarquisJ said:

you are entitled to that opinion i wont say your "wrong" like others are saying in here about what i say lol but i thought it was clear who are best secondary player is but hey from what you guys say what do i know??

Lol nah I feel you bro I'm just saying I mean if we're talking about talent  it's Davis by far  but for as old as Adams is he's been our turnover machine which we've needed badly which is why I say they rival each other. Seems like Adams just consistently is in the right place at the right time to take the ball away in which Davis  coverage ability isn't always as consistent as we would like but id blame some of that on injuries and the stupidity of our ex Dc to have him playing zone when he's a man coverage corner 

3 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol nah I feel you bro I'm just saying I mean if we're talking about talent  it's Davis by far  but for as old as Adams is he's been our turnover machine which we've needed badly which is why I say they rival each other. Seems like Adams just consistently is in the right place at the right time to take the ball away in which Davis  coverage ability isn't always as consistent as we would like but id blame some of that on injuries and the stupidity of our ex Dc to have him playing zone when he's a man coverage corner 

i think people in here think i hate mike adams which i really dont i actually like him a lot but like you said thats probably the best way to describe him always in the right place at the right time but i agree on everything u said about davis

20 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

let me let you in on a little secret... the OP was a opinionated question asking who you would rather see lol not who deserves it? everyone knows that what you just said. atleast i hope

You'd be surprised, MJ. CBFL explains exactly what the "OP" opinionated question proposes. By steering arguments into "that is dumb, so injuries isnt slowing down, Personally I'd rather see a draft pick play, but if u have any or just a little scouting ability" examples of misleading grandeur and evading what you originally wanted by your OP question in the first place, you've lost sight of your topic.

CBFL comes in and explains the correct scenario. Winning the position. You in turn, mock the answer by stating "everyone knows that what you just said." Which, totally aligns with your other answers, by not giving an answer.

You don't need my answer. I just gave it to you.

5 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

You'd be surprised, MJ. CBFL explains exactly what the "OP" opinionated question proposes. By steering arguments into "that is dumb, so injuries isnt slowing down, Personally I'd rather see a draft pick play, but if u have any or just a little scouting ability" examples of misleading grandeur and evading what you originally wanted by your OP question in the first place, you've lost sight of your topic.

CBFL comes in and explains the correct scenario. Winning the position. You in turn, mock the answer by stating "everyone knows that what you just said." Which, totally aligns with your other answers, by not giving an answer.

You don't need my answer. I just gave it to you.

nothing i said was misleading? it was actually pretty straight forward how other people take it is their buisness... ive never lost sight i just simply answered people by what they wrote to me.

3 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

you are entitled to your opinon, i dont see him starting the entire season but we'll see. and that comparison is dumb andrew isnt 35 lol

But you don't know if Adams was hurt because he was 35,  or if he just got hurt because players get hurt in the NFL.     It happens every game.

I don't know if he'll start the whole season either,   but he's put up two terrific seasons at age 33 and 34.

He's got one more year left on his contract,  this year,   and then I'd expect we're moving on......

46 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

nothing i said was misleading? it was actually pretty straight forward how other people take it is their buisness... ive never lost sight i just simply answered people by what they wrote to me.

Yes, you were pretty straight forward how other people see it ... calling their opinions and or person ... "dumb". Thus, losing respect & value of your question & topic. 

Defend your argument all you want. Insertion of innuendos & name calling doesn't earn the two words written above "respect & value". Most all the contributors in this thread, seemingly, wanted to answer the question earnestly. Just because most do not agree with your evaluations shouldn't promulgate abravise jargon. You absolutely lost the intended question and topic with your fire stormed answers.

As far as letting some in on a secret, I just gave you one.

If we draft a guy like Darian Thompson in the second (who I'm really high on), I think we'd be silly not to give him a real chance to win the starting job from Adams. I wouldn't be confident in him beating out Adams during training camp, but if he does, then we've got to put the best players on the field and Adams can be a great mentor and back-up option at safety. If Thompson doesn't beat Adams out, he's our top back-up and can get a year to learn while not being thrown to the fire (like Geathers was last year), and we can get a chance to see if he's got the ability to be a starter for the future.