Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson is doing a fine job

danlhart87

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He stinks as other teams in our division load up. Murray is the back we should have obtained last season, Texans did well with Brock/Lamar and Jags adding good players on D. What do we do? overpay Allen at TE and get a long snapper.  Ryan is getting smoked.

Just now, JColts72 said:

He stinks as other teams in our division load up. Murray is the back we should have obtained last season, Texans did well with Brock/Lamar and Jags adding good players on D. What do we do? overpay Allen at TE and get a long snapper. Oh Boy Ryan is getting smoked.

Murray is garbage lol

Anyone notice which teams are active? Not the true contenders. Its the same teams that are active players in free agency every year. I hate the pats but i would say they figured out how to build in the offseason and its not by dropping millions on players looking for a payday.

Just now, DougDew said:

Golly, people with no knowledge sure feel comfortable expressing strong opinions.

How many days into the free agency period are we anyway?

Don't you know... the season already started and we are in 4th place in the South 

13 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah but if your looking for the cheaper guys, that obviously means they are less talented (or at least less valuable) than the guys going first. When we "set the market" for the Allen deal, that doesn't mean every TE is gonna sign for the same amount. After a while, players and agents who have yet to find teams will lower their price because they need to, or else they won't get picked up

You are right with what you said in the first sentence, but you have to be mindful of your cap space.

As for setting the market, Gates got re-signed for almost 8 mil for one year.  Fleener got almost 8 mil a year.  IMO, that was because what we paid Allen.

I misspoke about when player's pay will drop.  First drop happens just before the draft.  After the draft, the price goes up some and will not go down till after the start of the regular season.

57 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Grigson, again blew this FA.  Every year, he waits till the dust settle and pays for it.  Instead of getting in and getting the players he wants, in the first few hours, he waits.  He allows the market to set what he is going to pay instead of setting the market.  Though I'm against re-signing Allen and yes Grigson overpaid, but he set the price and not the market.

I'm not for overpaying for big name FAs, but should have signed the lower tiered players before the market set the price.

It's not even hardly day 1 yet!!! There is still plenty of time to make moves. Granted they not be big splashes but none the less. And you should have seen this coming with what  they said about the change in approach this off season. There wasn't a plan to spend big in free agency.

12 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

He stinks as other teams in our division load up. Murray is the back we should have obtained last season, Texans did well with Brock/Lamar and Jags adding good players on D. What do we do? overpay Allen at TE and get a long snapper.  Ryan is getting smoked.

who says and guarentees those players will all pan out and perform as you're automatically assuming they for those teams. And While Brock is decent...he has ALOT to prove still as far as being a guy who can consistently lead a team and playing at a high level consistently. 

12 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well when you think about it Grigson has done a fine job at making a joke out of this team.

Really?   What is the Colts record since he got here?   How many 2-14.  3-13 records do they have? 

17 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

The Texans can have those two.....a mediocre QB and RB.  Oh no, run for the hills.

I think the pow wow with Pagano and Irsay, plus the injury with Luck and the new contracts for Grigs and Pags, has brought a bit of levity to the team.  I hope he focuses on the draft from here on out and only dabbles with FA as a last resort not a first.  I think Grigson thought he was the 1 man show there for a while.  He has a team of scouts plus Pagano's input now...I believe he drafts differently now. 

11 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

You are right with what you said in the first sentence, but you have to be mindful of your cap space.

As for setting the market, Gates got re-signed for almost 8 mil for one year.  Fleener got almost 8 mil a year.  IMO, that was because what we paid Allen.

I misspoke about when player's pay will drop.  First drop happens just before the draft.  After the draft, the price goes up some and will not go down till after the start of the regular season.

Wrong.   The rest of the contracts will be smaller.    It is every year.  

14 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

True, but wouldn't a players value also drop a couple days after FA? Like say a guy like Casey Heyward or Stefan Wisniewski weren't signed in the next couple days/weeks, wouldn't their values drop as well?

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No sense overpaying on the first day.  Grigson has learned not to get caught up in the wild money on day one.   I'm all for being patient.  Langford was a later signing last year and so was Lowery.  Grigson is doing a fine job,

Lowery went to another team today. We certainly closed the gap with keeping the wrong TE and a adding a long snapper too.

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

Grigson, again blew this FA.  Every year, he waits till the dust settle and pays for it.  Instead of getting in and getting the players he wants, in the first few hours, he waits.  He allows the market to set what he is going to pay instead of setting the market.  Though I'm against re-signing Allen and yes Grigson overpaid, but he set the price and not the market.

I'm not for overpaying for big name FAs, but should have signed the lower tiered players before the market set the price.

This is exactly why lower tier players wait to sign.  Why would the player devalue their rare chance at FA by taking a deal before the market establishes their value?  That would be stupid on their part.....You say he should sign lower value guys before any lower value guys would rationally be expected to sign.... makes no sense.

What we need we CANNOT get through the draft alone, and that's even if we have a great draft. We need a corner, safety help, LB's, pass rush, OL..OL..OL with at least 1 of them being a quality center, AND we need a RB that isn't closing in on social security.

Maybe it's time to think about trade some of our lower picks for decent players that cap heavy teams can't keep..

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I want to be a Super Bowl contender NOW. We can worry about 3 years from now when it gets here. We aren't going to be able to address all our needs in this draft. It'd take at least 2 draft's. At least

a lot of times draft picks leave for the  money after we waste time for them to develop. Imo trade draft picks for bargain impact players. Denver does this very well.the future is next season, not 3 years waiting for a draft pick to develop, who may leave after he gets good.

4 minutes ago, get an 0-line said:

a lot of times draft picks leave for the  money after we waste time for them to develop. Imo trade draft picks for bargain impact players. Denver does this very well.

No I wouldn't do that unless it was for a young impact player. We don't need to be trading away picks. Early ones anyway.

What's happening should not be a surprise Grig's has said numerous times we will not be big players in FA. 

We don't need to sign a boatload of players to fill our roster. The starter at nearly every position is on the roster right now. The exceptions are C, RG, CB. Hopefully we get an upgrade at NT too. 

We need to get younger and bring help at OLB and S for sure. Adams and Mathis/Cole/Walden are getting old. They are the only 3 OLB's with game experience on the roster. The CB opposite Vontae is the only position we have nothing at on D.

We obviously need to do something to help the OL. I believe we bring in at least a RG in FA. Osemele and the big names was never happening. We will add to what we have.

We have some players that due to health or whatever didn't see a lot of the field last year that could and should have an impact this year. Dorsett, Good on the offensive side of the ball. Then Smith, Irving, Moore, and Jones on D. Should play a larger rolls.

A few guys I'm interested to see if they can do anything Heenan, Varga, the scat back from A&M on offense and Southward, Davis, and Mitchel on the backend.

I think we sign a band aid at CB. A guy like Powers or Gay. Then draft one early. IMO that's the best way to go anyway. Looks like Upshsaw will come with our new DC.

We will add a RG to them OL. There are still G's who can upgrade the OL. If we don't sign Wiz our C comes in the draft. It's a good yesr for C's. 

Upshaw, RG, CB, and back up QB might be all we add. 

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yeah hopefully we can use the draft to come away with a staring guard, starting center,, starting cb, and edge rusher and ILb. Also while grabbing a #2 RB, a #2 QB and depth at safety, 

No but I'm sure we will get another 3 WRs a QB and 2FBs

7 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Problem is that the price doesn't go down.  Look at all the FAs we got and had to pay market price.  Price doesn't go down until the regular season starts.

Grigson signing Allen today started the market value for TEs.  You get your deals done before FA, you set the market.

Sorry, but no.  Both Zac Ertz and Travis Kelce were signed before Allen.  Ertz was first, so it was the Eagles that set the value for TE...not Grigson.

11 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Sorry, but no.  Both Zac Ertz and Travis Kelce were signed before Allen.  Ertz was first, so it was the Eagles that set the value for TE...not Grigson.

You're right.

Both Ertz and Kelce were signed several weeks ago......

7 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I think the pow wow with Pagano and Irsay, plus the injury with Luck and the new contracts for Grigs and Pags, has brought a bit of levity to the team.  I hope he focuses on the draft from here on out and only dabbles with FA as a last resort not a first.  I think Grigson thought he was the 1 man show there for a while.  He has a team of scouts plus Pagano's input now...I believe he drafts differently now. 

I don't think this is entirely correct. I think that it was Irsay that pushed to put all the chips on the table last year at this time with big spending in FA hoping for a run at the Super Bowl. Remember that in January 2015 we were one win from the Super Bowl. But we overachieved up to the terrible game and came crashing back to the reality this season.

Irsay knows that we will not be a Super Bowl contender this year, and I think he alluded to as much when Pagano and Grigson was resigned. We have gone back to a quick rebuilding state with a more patient Irsay. Irsay has shifted away from a win now, and the FO is doing his command. Like it or not.

We have much more money to play with next year in FA, so we wont see a SB contender Colts before 2017. Too many holes now, and everybody knows that. Just common sense, really.

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah but if your looking for the cheaper guys, that obviously means they are less talented (or at least less valuable) than the guys going first. When we "set the market" for the Allen deal, that doesn't mean every TE is gonna sign for the same amount. After a while, players and agents who have yet to find teams will lower their price because they need to, or else they won't get picked up

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

True, but wouldn't a players value also drop a couple days after FA? Like say a guy like Casey Heyward or Stefan Wisniewski weren't signed in the next couple days/weeks, wouldn't their values drop as well?

No drop because of time till just before the draft.  There is no incentive for a player to drop his asking price until until he realizes that there are other options ie: the draft.  

Let's use Wisniewski as an example.  Wisniewski is considered the 2nd best Center in FA, by media analysts.  Jones signed yesterday morning and Mack in the afternoon.  Now Wisniewski knows he lowest and highest asking salary.  If you get in early, you have a better chance for Jones' salary rather than Mack's.

I may not like Grigson, but I do agree with him about going after big name FAs.

8 hours ago, Jason_S said:

You are correct about Ertz and Kelce being signed a couple a weeks ago.  I had forgotten about them.

With that said, I still believe by signing Allen on the first day  of FA, his salary set the market for TEs.  The salaries for TEs signed yesterday seems to bear that out.

16 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Even our Allen deal was predated by Buffalos deal to Clay last season. To say our contract to Allen set the market, when it is almost identical numbers, is shortsighted.  

That is like saying That, what I make this year is going to effect what you make next year.  Include into that your employer is going to have a 15 million more for salaries next year.

As was pointed out to me,  Ertz and Kelce both got extensions and raises a couple of weeks ago.  This could have had an impact on what Allen got. 

Look at Grig's first picks in each draft:

Fleener..average but gone

Werner..bad and gone

Trich...  absolutely horrible and gone

Dorsett..meh dont know.

that should tell you enough right there.  so much for building the monster and protecting #12

Totally agree. 

Focusing on in his in house people and getting contracts team friendly. Next year as it stands we are due a huge amount of cap space. 

There are a lot of FAs I would have loved to add, but not at the price tags they went for.