Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't smoke pot if you want to be a Colt (merge)

JRnINDY

No wonder...

Stephen Holder @HolderStephen  6 p6 perccel ezelőtt

Arrested on marijuana charge last week, apparently released today.

Jonathan Newsome @JNEW_11
I would like to thank Coach Pagano, Ryan Grigson, Jim Irsay and the entire Colts organization for the opportunity of a life time.

Válasz

Edited by SteelCityColt
Tidying up format

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Before his arrest, I don't think Newsome and his one sack in 2016 was going to prevent the Colts from drafting a pass rusher or two this year.

Exactly. Plus he was on thin ice with the team anyways, especially being a 5th round pick.

Unless they pull something crazy in FA, this means we can probably expect to see 2 pass rushers added in the draft.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Alittle pre-mature imo. Now we have zero young pass rushers that are somewhat good.(Werner is a little girl in shoulder pads soft)

not really.... apparently he has a history with this all the way back to college..... Not much use if he's just going to end up suspended, maybe multiple times

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Alittle pre-mature imo. Now we have zero young pass rushers that are somewhat good.(Werner is a little girl in shoulder pads soft)

You'd think based on our lack at that position and his price he'd get another shot, but he didn't do anything worth anything this past year so his rope is shorter vs. someone like Brazill who did more good on the field and bad off it and therefore gets a longer rope.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

You'd think based on our lack at that position and his price he'd get another shot, but he didn't do anything worth anything this past year so his rope is shorter vs. someone like Brazill who did more good on the field and bad off it and therefore gets a longer rope.

I would have liked to see what Ted could have done with him

I confess I'm surprised that we cut Newsome after only this single marijuana incident.     

Makes me wonder if there were a number of behind-the-scenes incidents this past year when Newsome's play fell off that made the cutting a little easier.    

Otherwise,   I'm surprised at our move.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I confess I'm surprised that we cut Newsome after only this single marijuana incident.     

Makes me wonder if there were a number of behind-the-scenes incidents this past year when Newsome's play fell off that made the cutting a little easier.    

Otherwise,   I'm surprised at our move.....

It's my understanding he has a history with it. College days? I didn't investigate

38 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

We definitely go EDGE in the first now...

no hijack intended

I'd love to be wrong about this, but at pick #18 I have a hard time imagining there will be a valuable edge-rusher worth using a first-rounder on, as all the surefire elite pass-rushers tend to go in the top 5 picks. There'll be lots of options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd love to be wrong about this, but at pick #18 I have a hard time imagining there will be a valuable edge-rusher worth using a first-rounder on, as all the surefire elite pass-rushers tend to go in the top 5 picks. There'll be lots of options in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though.

If it makes any difference, Kiper says this is a draft for the trenches, not much talent at the skill positions like in previous years, and moreso OL/DL talent than previous years.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

If it makes any difference, Kiper says this is a draft for the trenches, not much talent at the skill positions like in previous years, and moreso OL/DL talent than previous years.

Agreed. Unless the Colts could somehow shock the world and move up to the #1 overall pick to take Bosa (not happening), an elite edge-rusher is going to be hard to come by at #18.

Ridiculous. Everybody smokes pot. Its a shame so many people are still caught up in the whole "refer madness" thing. Its a shame a kid smoking a little marijuana can ruin his career. If he'd had 10 bottles of liquor sitting on his table instead of a little bag of weed nobody would even know anything about this because obviously nothing would have happened. I know most disagree with me here, but I think the NFL should stay out of players personal lives unless 1) They done something violent. Or 2) It effects their performance on the field.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Then we should trade up. There's no major difference makers who'll reach the open market in FA. And we need to come out of this offseason with a premier EDGE rusher by any means necessary. Spence will go in between 10-20. If it looks like he's going to go early we should trade up to 12 or 13 to get him. You're talking about a kid who I personally believe can make a Khalil Mack type impact. I know there's risk in every pick pretty much, but wouldn't you trade a 17 1st to move up for a Khalil Mack type player?

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think Floyd and Spence could both be available at 18.

And we needed an EDGE rusher or 2 regardless. Its looking like Ware will be a cap casualty. I'd go all in and sign him, plus draft 2. We don't know what Mathis will look like, and Walden is not going to post 12 sacks and neither is Werner. That's what we need. A couple guys who can get after the QB and put up 10-12 sacks.

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Ridiculous. Everybody smokes pot. Its a shame so many people are still caught up in the whole "refer madness" thing. Its a shame a kid smoking a little marijuana can ruin his career. If he'd had 10 bottles of liquor sitting on his table instead of a little bag of weed nobody would even know anything about this because obviously nothing would have happened. I know most disagree with me here, but I think the NFL should stay out of players personal lives unless 1) They done something violent. Or 2) It effects their performance on the field.

While I understand where you are coming from I don't think he was cut because weed is such a terrible drug.

The guy was cut because he isn't mature enough to quit doing stupid stuff and focus on his career.

We can say that weed is no big deal to smoke but then it shouldn't be a big deal to NOT smoke it.

You have to make sacrifices to perform at the highest level. Some guys will get a pass or two but Newsome's talent/production doesn't warrant a pass.

The Colts need pass rushing with or without Newsome. This cut doesn't change how big of a need that is.

Wow that's very unfortunate man, i was hoping he'd make a leap this year. so im assuming we keep Werner and take a look at a OLB in FA....Greg Hardy, Derrick Shelby and JPP are all set to hit the open market they are all 4-3 DE's but i believe they all could transition into a 3-4 system smoothly, especially Hardy. Hardy has extreme character concerns but im willing to overlook that. and JPP still show's he can be a disruptive force even with the club hand. Probably would better suit as a stand up rusher not having to put his hand in the ground.