Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't smoke pot if you want to be a Colt (merge)

JRnINDY

5 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

There has to be more to this, it's absolutely stupid to release him after one incident with the Colts. There was more going on. You don't cut a player that got 6.5 sacks his rookie year.

But apparently you do cut a player who only got one sack in his 2nd year, had the police called on him a couple of times and managed to get arrested with weed.

29 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Wow that's very unfortunate man, i was hoping he'd make a leap this year. so im assuming we keep Werner and take a look at a OLB in FA....Greg Hardy, Derrick Shelby and JPP are all set to hit the open market they are all 4-3 DE's but i believe they all could transition into a 3-4 system smoothly, especially Hardy. Hardy has extreme character concerns but im willing to overlook that. and JPP still show's he can be a disruptive force even with the club hand. Probably would better suit as a stand up rusher not having to put his hand in the ground.

Besides not being a scheme fit, Hardy did nothing at all to eliminate worries about his very clear character issues.  I can't imagine the Colts wanting to bring in that knucklehead.

Although he had a really solid rookie season, you could clearly see flaws in his game. 

Second season he was an absolute zero non factor. Effort wasn't even good most of the time. 

I think he was more of a 'beginner's luck' type guy. 

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Wow that's very unfortunate man, i was hoping he'd make a leap this year. so im assuming we keep Werner and take a look at a OLB in FA....Greg Hardy, Derrick Shelby and JPP are all set to hit the open market they are all 4-3 DE's but i believe they all could transition into a 3-4 system smoothly, especially Hardy. Hardy has extreme character concerns but im willing to overlook that. and JPP still show's he can be a disruptive force even with the club hand. Probably would better suit as a stand up rusher not having to put his hand in the ground.

I ain't overlooking Greg Hardys character concerns. No way!

44 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Besides not being a scheme fit, Hardy did nothing at all to eliminate worries about his very clear character issues.  I can't imagine the Colts wanting to bring in that knucklehead.

Yea Hardy is a big basket case, we can all agree as far as scheme i cant completely say he wouldnt be a great OLB, reason being is he has been effective rushing standing up and is extremely athletic enough where the cowboys also dropped him zone coverage as well. He; is versatile enough to make the transition IMO.

The Colts need to stay away from FA. All it usually nets is a solid, past his prime FA who only plays 2-3 seasons like Redding , or an absolute failure like Landry.

They need to build through the draft and use FA for DEPTH not STARTERS. Too much money is wasted using FA to patch holes.

I think Newsome had issues in college and we took a chance. It seems like so many players with college issues regarding drugs see their problems resurface when they get to the pros.  It just seems to make sense to avoid them.  The odds are not in the teams favor.  I hope we stay clear of Spence.  Not worth the chance.  Too many other great prospects to choose from.

57 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts need to stay away from FA. All it usually nets is a solid, past his prime FA who only plays 2-3 seasons like Redding , or an absolute failure like Landry.

They need to build through the draft and use FA for DEPTH not STARTERS. Too much money is wasted using FA to patch holes.

We have to sign a couple players in free agency if we want to be a Super Bowl contender. the thing is. We need to target young, impact players instead of guys like Dre, Cole, DQ, etc. The only older guy I would look at would be Tamba Hali or Demarcus Ware if he's cut. And that's because they're both still very productive, and because there isn't many EDGE options out there. With a couple young impact free agent signings and a good draft we'll be in good shape. Right now, if we want to be real Super Bowl contenders we need to bring in, in this order....

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

And that's just the necessities. We also could use a big run stuffing NT, Safety, ILB, and another RB. But the 4 needs I listed above are a must. And we cant fill all 4 of those needs in the draft.

Rule 1 regarding late round picks...Don't do something stupid off the field (Or continue to even after college). You cant afford it.

He has potential but apparently rather smoke then work. Nice knowing him. I hope he wises up at some point

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The title should be "don't smoke pot if you want to be in the NFL" 

Pass rusher is going to be even "higher" on our needs list now. 

Don't smoke pot if you're a JAG.  If Luck,TY, Anderson and VD were hitting a bong at LOS they would all be back.

53 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We have to sign a couple players in free agency if we want to be a Super Bowl contender. the thing is. We need to target young, impact players instead of guys like Dre, Cole, DQ, etc. The only older guy I would look at would be Tamba Hali or Demarcus Ware if he's cut. And that's because they're both still very productive, and because there isn't many EDGE options out there. With a couple young impact free agent signings and a good draft we'll be in good shape. Right now, if we want to be real Super Bowl contenders we need to bring in, in this order....

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

And that's just the necessities. We also could use a big run stuffing NT, Safety, ILB, and another RB. But the 4 needs I listed above are a must. And we cant fill all 4 of those needs in the draft.

Young, cheap, and talented guys. Remember that young players that are really good never get released unless the cap is that tight. So I would think twice before handing out $28 million contracts to guys like Oliver or Irvin if they hit the open market. 

And I would pass on Ware. You'd have to pay him more money than he's worth long term. The Panthers could take him since they are a Super Bowl contender, but the Colts aren't close enough to make it worth paying him $8-9 million a year for 2 seasons. If the Colts want to be Super Bowl contenders they should continue building through the draft like the Broncos did. They drafted good young players for their line and then added FAs. Seattle was also a young team.

We can get some of those listed needs in the draft.

6 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

It's my understanding he has a history with it. College days? I didn't investigate

Yes....   he got busted once in college.     And, it's now been pointed out to me -- quite rudely I might add -- that Newsome got busted twice in a 3-week span.     This was not a single incident.      Twice in less than a month will get you tossed from a team.

Sorry to see the kid go......    but we get burned again on drafting a knucklehead.    

• Nadine locked this topic