Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts recruiting ex Rams fans

Cynjin

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I love that flat cheese bread they have there also. I've eaten at Peter Lugar's in NYC, and been to many great steak houses in many cities, but St Elmo's is my favorite. The horse radish on the shrimp cocktail will clear your sinuses out ! 

Yes, that Horse Radish on the shrimp rules! Great stuff! Ruth Chris Steak House is just as great as far as steak's go. I just ate there a couple of months ago, my company took me there as part of a promotion and that stuff made me feel great. I had a steak, bake potato with butter/sour cream, and a huge salad with ranch and it was a 10 on a scale of 10! I rarely rank anything a 10 but Ruth was a 10 that night!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Id switch to the Bengals.....

They wanted us to switch to the Redskins or Eagles. I just couldn't do it. Those teams did nothing for me. We couldn't follow the Colts to Indy, because we were still mad at old man Irsay, plus the games were far away. I just never thought it would take 12 years, but man, no one wanted us back in the league. All we've done since then is sell out virtually every game since 1996, much as we did during the Colt era, except for the last six years when it was really bad. 

Attendance always slips as it did in St Louis when you have protracted losing. The sad thing is they at least had a stadium plan versus Oakland and San Diego that had none in their home cities, and look who got burned. Follow the money, and you will usually find Jerry Jones sniffing around. 

35 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I am heading out of Boston today, the home of the evil empire. I was a block from Gillette Stadium and it almost burned my eyes out. Heading back to the safe confines of Baltimore. 

As for NOLA, best food around. Went to Coops Place, the Gumbo Shop, among many other haunts. Caught the Crew the Boo parade. Easy living down there. 

OC, whenever you get back to NOLA try Acme Oyster House, Brennan's, House of Seafood in Bush, La., Cafe-Du-Monde, Willie Mae's, Rip's on the North Shore, & just about anything in the French Quarter. I never want to go back home after spending a week in New Orleans. :) 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes, that Horse Radish on the shrimp rules! Great stuff! Ruth Chris Steak House is just as great as far as steak's go. I just ate there a couple of months ago, my company took me there as part of a promotion and that stuff made me feel great. I had a steak, bake potato with butter/sour cream, and a huge salad with ranch and it was a 10 on a scale of 10! I rarely rank anything a 10 but Ruth was a 10 that night!

I like Ruth's Chris also. You can never go wrong there. Heading to Ocean City MD tomorrow, and maybe I will stop at Ruth's down there. We should have a food hotline thread !

3 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

OC, whenever you get back to NOLA try Acme Oyster House, Brennan's, House of Seafood in Bush, La., Cafe-Du-Monde, Willie Mae's, Rip's on the North Shore, & just about anything in the French Quarter. I never want to go back home after spending a week in New Orleans. :) 

I will. I've been to Cafe Du Monde and Brennan's. I will add Acme, Willie Mae's , and Rips to my list. 

I could definitely live down there. One of the great cities in the US. It's so much more than the tourist trap that is Bourbon Street. 

9 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

Unfortunately the taxpayers in St Louis still owe somewhere around $100,000,000 on the stadium they now have no use for.

Unless it sits there to get a team. That is what happened with Indy, and we had a stadium deal sitting there that Modell went after when he was in financial trouble. The best hope for St Louis may be Oakland or Jacksonville, but everything would have to fall into place for that to happen. I see a long time on the sidelines for this city !

19 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

Unfortunately the taxpayers in St Louis still owe somewhere around $100,000,000 on the stadium they now have no use for.

Not necessarily.  The dome is part of the convention center.  It was estimated the the dome ownership (the CVC) will actually make more money on conventions than they did from football, because of the sweetheart lease that the Rams had.  With conventions needing to book anywhere from 6 months or more ahead of time, they weren't able to book much during the NFL season because of the unknown of the schedule.  I'll be taking my son there for Monster Jam in a few weeks.  

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

They wanted us to switch to the Redskins or Eagles. I just couldn't do it. Those teams did nothing for me. We couldn't follow the Colts to Indy, because we were still mad at old man Irsay, plus the games were far away. I just never thought it would take 12 years, but man, no one wanted us back in the league. All we've done since then is sell out virtually every game since 1996, much as we did during the Colt era, except for the last six years when it was really bad. 

Attendance always slips as it did in St Louis when you have protracted losing. The sad thing is they at least had a stadium plan versus Oakland and San Diego that had none in their home cities, and look who got burned. Follow the money, and you will usually find Jerry Jones sniffing around. 

I'm sure.

Just curious, do you line in Indy or outside. The reason I'm asking is you end up being more angry if you are a native because when these teams move, the community usually gets dumped on out the door , like St Louis did. If you live in another state , or something, it doesn't make you less a fan, but it's a higher probability you might follow the Colts elsewhere, or in the case of the Rams, LA. 

I actually live in Kentucky, but my roots are in Indianapolis and New Castle Indiana. A lot of family from there and a whole lot still live there. I've spent a lot of time in the area but never actually lived there.

With the St Louis market gone I'm hoping the TV map changes some next year and the Colts pick up Western Ky where I live. Sucks we had one of our worst years in recent history this year but I still would expect this area to get good ratings watching the Colts as opposed to the Titans who probably have central ky area.

Unless it sits there to get a team. That is what happened with Indy, and we had a stadium deal sitting there that Modell went after when he was in financial trouble. The best hope for St Louis may be Oakland or Jacksonville, but everything would have to fall into place for that to happen. I see a long time on the sidelines for this city !

Jacksonville would make the most sense for several reasons (STL closer to Tennessee, Houston, and Indy) and the market conditions aren't good in Jacksonville...but I honestly think the owner believes London is a viable market and STL who has lost now two teams in the past 30 years just can't support a 3rd professional franchise.

I expect Oakland to figure a way out to stay where it is. The East Bay is a thriving area with potential. If Allen could get the NFL to probably triple the 100million they are offering him to build his own stadium maybe he could get something done.....else I think he will push for San Antonio Raiders. I'm sure Jerry wouldn't support that but he may have to give a concession since he was a big part of the reason the Raiders got left out of LA. 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I feel for those Rams fans. They got their team taken away to a new city that cares more about how big Kim Kardashian's butt is than their new football team. I hope the LA Rams go 0-16 in 2016. They may have the advantage in baseball with higher payrolls in the Angels and Dodgers, but in the NFL, everyone's on a level playing field, and it's up to your coaches and FO to build and run a team correctly and outsmart the others. Lets see how loyal these "supposed LA fans are" without a huge advantage like their baseball teams.

Well, they have Jeff Fischer still as their head coach, so expect a very pedestrian 4-12 type of record, as he continues to keep his job.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

but I honestly think the owner believes London is a viable market and STL who has lost now two teams in the past 30 years just can't support a 3rd professional franchise.

There is no truth to not being able to support a 3rd franchise.  That  was Kroenke fiction, much like his economic outlook.  When the Rams put a halfway competent team on the field, support wasn't a problem at all.  Worst 5 year stretch in NFL history, 12 years of losing seasons and 4 years of relocation talk killed off a lot of casual fans.  

That said, I don't believe any team is relocating to STL, because the stadium proposal that was made to the Rams will be going away, and it's going to be a really hard sell for any other NFL team to come in and get any public money.  Football in STL was screwed the day they surprisingly chose Jacksonville over STL for the expansion team.  

6 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I'm sure some will, but most NFL fans want to root for a local team , unless they are in a remote area. Put the shoe on the other foot. The Colts have just left for LA. You guys are rightfully crushed. McCaskey sends out a tweet to invite you to join Bear's nation because it's a short drive. How do you feel ? 

I would root for the Bears anyways, since I already like the Blackhawks/Cubs.  Plus it's 3 hours away from me.  

Also, in Indiana it depends where you are located.   South east/ east central you are closer to the Bengals.  Parts of Northern Indiana(including Fort Wayne) are about local distance between Detroit and Chicago.    Parts of southern Indiana are closer to Tennessee.   It would just be like baseball.  Here in Fort Wayne, the Cubs are the most popular team, but the Tigers and Reds are very popular.  Then again is split on football too.  About 50/50 on the Colts and Bears, sprinkled in with strong followings from the Lions, Packers and the Steelers have a strong fan base here too. I guess back in the 70s the local stations would carry the Steelers and they had a lot of national games. 

27 minutes ago, STLINI said:

There is no truth to not being able to support a 3rd franchise.  That  was Kroenke fiction, much like his economic outlook.  When the Rams put a halfway competent team on the field, support wasn't a problem at all.  Worst 5 year stretch in NFL history, 12 years of losing seasons and 4 years of relocation talk killed off a lot of casual fans.  

That said, I don't believe any team is relocating to STL, because the stadium proposal that was made to the Rams will be going away, and it's going to be a really hard sell for any other NFL team to come in and get any public money.  Football in STL was screwed the day they surprisingly chose Jacksonville over STL for the expansion team.  

I agree and maybe its because the teams have not historically been successful but the Cardinals left there too. I mean it isn't exactly Cleveland who still sells out every game despite being just as unsuccessful. There was no doubt Kroenke did this for a money grab...but without a better stadium proposal that would force the NFL to step in and tell him accept it or sell the team it wasn't going to happen. I hate the idea of a city losing its team...those fans are disappointed but that's a hard market....its not a well established football town...you have KC and Chicago who both have more fan support etc....there just isn't much room for error...and the LA thing hanging over the NFL was all but going to kill some fan's team...it was just a matter of which one.

33 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I would root for the Bears anyways, since I already like the Blackhawks/Cubs.  Plus it's 3 hours away from me.  

Also, in Indiana it depends where you are located.   South east/ east central you are closer to the Bengals.  Parts of Northern Indiana(including Fort Wayne) are about local distance between Detroit and Chicago.    Parts of southern Indiana are closer to Tennessee.   It would just be like baseball.  Here in Fort Wayne, the Cubs are the most popular team, but the Tigers and Reds are very popular.  Then again is split on football too.  About 50/50 on the Colts and Bears, sprinkled in with strong followings from the Lions, Packers and the Steelers have a strong fan base here too. I guess back in the 70s the local stations would carry the Steelers and they had a lot of national games. 

We are 30 minutes from DC , but the Redskins and Snyder still stink ! No way with the Steelers for me ! A terrible towel would blow up my hand. 

16 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Why? Aren't we like 2nd in the league in attendance or something?  Also, it's not a hop, skip, and jump drive from St. Louis to Indy. It's a long haul.

Three and a half hours to go from St. Louis to Indy, not exactly a long haul IMO.

We are 30 minutes from DC , but the Redskins and Snyder still stink ! No way with the Steelers for me ! A terrible towel would blow up my hand. 

Yeah the Redskins have been pretty horrible for a while.  Actually this season was their best in a long time.  Also, I couldn't agree more about the Steelers, can't stand that team. 

8 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I'm sure some will, but most NFL fans want to root for a local team , unless they are in a remote area. Put the shoe on the other foot. The Colts have just left for LA. You guys are rightfully crushed. McCaskey sends out a tweet to invite you to join Bear's nation because it's a short drive. How do you feel ? 

If that would happen it would not be the problem you might think. 75% of Indy fans were Bear fans before the Colts relocated here. Even though Cincy is closer there were very few Cincy fans here. Growing up we didn't have close to as many NFL games broadcast as we do now but the Bears were on every week. Now baseball was a different story. The Reds were and still are the fav around here. I don't watch baseball on TV but I love going to a live game. For those who are old enough to remember the world series was shown in the public schools on closed circuit TV. That went along with the bomb fallout drills! :)

7 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Yeah the Redskins have been pretty horrible for a while.  Actually this season was their best in a long time.  Also, I couldn't agree more about the Steelers, can't stand that team. 

The main thing was they were forcefully trying to get the Baltimore football market under the Redskins umbrella, aided by DC  lawyer and commissioner Taglibue. He is on the permanent bum's list in Baltimore. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that would happen it would not be the problem you might think. 75% of Indy fans were Bear fans before the Colts relocated here. Even though Cincy is closer there were very few Cincy fans here. Growing up we didn't have close to as many NFL games broadcast as we do now but the Bears were on every week. Now baseball was a different story. The Reds were and still are the fav around here. I don't watch baseball on TV but I love going to a live game. For those who are old enough to remember the world series was shown in the public schools on closed circuit TV. That went along with the bomb fallout drills! :)

I remember the TV's on rolling stands when the Orioles played the Reds in the 1970 World Series when I was in school . 

Now as you guys point out the Colts have been in Indy 32 years. I'm not sure people would go right back to the Bears after all this time. You guys would be rightfully angry, than you would want another NFL team in Indy . Next , you would have to deal with LA putting up your 2006 Super Bowl banner, and telling you how great Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck were as LA Colts. That is another thing that hurts the city when a team departs. I guess they will be hanging St Louis's 2000 Super Bowl banner in LA, and bringing Kurt Warner to LA who never played a game there. It will suck for St Louis historically big time. My point is we as fans are very invested in our team, city, and accomplishments , and an owner can take it away in an instant. It will only get worse in the future. 

7 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

It is true, I am half horseshoe , and I like Indy. Maybe I could open up a crab cake stand near the stadium ! 

Being that I lived in Delaware for a good chunk of my life I would love some good east coast seafood.  Miss being able to grab a bushel of blue crabs in the summer.

Lakers have been mediocre for nearly 3 years in a row and they're still selling out game by game. Dodgers were sorry in the early 2000's, yet fans were filling up the seats. Why do people continue to spread that "we only care about Hollywood" nonsense? I want to say another word, but I'm afraid to get banned. Quit disrespecting us if you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Just now, USAFHoosier said:

Being that I lived in Delaware for a good chunk of my life I would love some good east coast seafood.  Miss being able to grab a bushel of blue crabs in the summer.

Nothing like steamed crabs and a Natty Boh. If I lived in Indy, I would have a case of Old Bay with me, and would have crab cakes shipped to me monthly. Remember, NEVER get a crab cake outside of Maryland. They will tell you it's a Maryland crab cake, but it will have filler in it, celery, and even orange romalade sauce on top of it. Very substandard, and crab cakes are best broiled , not fried, held together by large chunks of back fin. 

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Perfectly natural fit for Rams fans to become Colts fans as the two franchises are forever linked with the 1972 franchise trade. 

It is pretty ironic isn't it. One thing people probably don't know about the Rams- Colts swap of 1972, is that one of the reasons was Rosenbloom was using the swap as a tax loophole. When he drowned mysteriously in 1979, he had 70 % of the team put in Georgia Frontiere's name to take advantage of the widow's tax loophole. The other 30 % was in Steve Rosenbloom and his other kid's name. He had a covenant to change the will in favor of his kids, but he died before it was executed. 

We we all know the follow up. The gold digger got the team, fired Steve Rosenbloom, ran the LA Rams into the ground, tried to move to Baltimore but didn't get permission, and finally moved to St Louis. She won for a few years with the greatest show on turf, then reverted to crap again. Then came Kroenke, the so- called Missouri native. By the way, the Frontiere's still have our original Colt Super Bowl 5 trophy. We need to get it back. 

44 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I remember the TV's on rolling stands when the Orioles played the Reds in the 1970 World Series when I was in school . 

Now as you guys point out the Colts have been in Indy 32 years. I'm not sure people would go right back to the Bears after all this time. You guys would be rightfully angry, than you would want another NFL team in Indy . Next , you would have to deal with LA putting up your 2006 Super Bowl banner, and telling you how great Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck were as LA Colts. That is another thing that hurts the city when a team departs. I guess they will be hanging St Louis's 2000 Super Bowl banner in LA, and bringing Kurt Warner to LA who never played a game there. It will suck for St Louis historically big time. My point is we as fans are very invested in our team, city, and accomplishments , and an owner can take it away in an instant. It will only get worse in the future. 

I am sure if the Colts left Indy, as when they left Baltimore there would be bitterness.  It's not like everything would be just fine and everyone would just start rooting for a new team like nothing happened.  But at the same time, while I feel bad for cities that lose their teams, and they should be the first to get a new team, you can't just sit around and be bitter the entire time.  Obviously their is a healing period and I can understand St. Louis fans are in a lot of pain over the whole issue.

But personally, while I feel bad for Baltimore, I think their bitterness last way too long and instead of slowing going away it built and continued to grow every year Baltimore got passed over for expansion teams.  I am from Fort Wayne and the Detroit Pistons are from here.  Infact, while the name Pistons fits Detroit, actually it was named after owner, Fred Zoellner's company, Zoellner Pistons.  They reached the NBA finals twice and played right down the street from at Northside High School.  Of course, Fort Wayne wasn't big enough to support an NBA franchise once the league became bigger and the team moved to Detroit in 1957.  

The point is, Fort Wayne doesn't look bitterly upon the Pistons history, instead we just look back at it as an interesting part of the city's history.  Although I am certain of bitterness at the time, you don't talk to people that remember that period of time and hear bitterness in their voice.  Even as a kid, I don't remember bitterness(which was only about 30 years after they left).  In fact, just the other day I found out a guy I work had a grandfather who played for them and it's the reason his family moved.  Hate to say it and you don't seem like one of them, but you would be lying if you said that many in Baltimore still aren't bitter about the Colts.  Although it does seem like there has been some healing in the last few years.  

You are right, the bitterness lasted a long time in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I was one of the bitter ones also. Being on this forum for years now, has given me a more balanced perspective of the whole situation , and it's helped me get past it. I understand that the Indy fans love the Colts much as we did, many years ago. I will say many in Baltimore still love the Colts and love the old history. As far as the bitterness, I think it reached its zenith in the 2006 playoff game, and really died down to nothing after the Ravens won their second Super Bowl in 2012. Fans today are more agitated with the Steelers and Patriots, something we share in common with Indy. 

I don't know if anyone saw USA Today, and they had the 10 most devastating moves of franchises in history, and Baltimore to Indy was picked number one . That being said, there is some bitterness, but not nearly to the extent of what it was. I think fans realize we have been lucky with the Ravens, and things have turned out well for Indy also. I guess my point is time does heal this, but it's a heck of a kick in the stomach when it happens, and it takes a while to get over. That is why we are rabid fans, because of the passion. 

Well if they expand the league by eight more teams STL could get another team?:

- couple to Europe

- San Antonio is looking

- Oklahoma City already stole the Sonics

- Portland Metro is right there with San Diego in size.

- Sacramento is larger then Charlotte and Kansas City metro

- SLC and Vegas are interested

Just thoughts

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

You are right, the bitterness lasted a long time in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I was one of the bitter ones also. Being on this forum for years now, has given me a more balanced perspective of the whole situation , and it's helped me get past it. I understand that the Indy fans love the Colts much as we did, many years ago. I will say many in Baltimore still love the Colts and love the old history. As far as the bitterness, I think it reached its zenith in the 2006 playoff game, and really died down to nothing after the Ravens won their second Super Bowl in 2012. Fans today are more agitated with the Steelers and Patriots, something we share in common with Indy. 

I don't know if anyone saw USA Today, and they had the 10 most devastating moves of franchises in history, and Baltimore to Indy was picked number one . That being said, there is some bitterness, but not nearly to the extent of what it was. I think fans realize we have been lucky with the Ravens, and things have turned out well for Indy also. I guess my point is time does heal this, but it's a heck of a kick in the stomach when it happens, and it takes a while to get over. That is why we are rabid fans, because of the passion. 

I guess "fan" is short for fanatic? :D

16 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I'm not sure how it's cheesy, there are probably fans that will now be looking for another team to follow and go to games.  The two closest teams are the Colts and the Chiefs, it only makes sense that those fans looking for a new team would gravitate towards one of those teams.

I believe its cheesy to him cuz i think he's from Baltimore.

i've been a Colt fan before and after they moved to Indy.

i went to lots of games in Baltimore.  However, having always lived in Pennsylvania, i don't think i felt the level of pain and frustration that those nearer to Baltimore did and still do.  Its easier for me to separate team and city.

i have no problem with the Colts reaching out.  Its good business and the neighborly thing to do.