Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts recruiting ex Rams fans

Cynjin

13 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I live just as close to St Louis as I do Indianapolis (South Central Illinois)110 miles from each. I personally don't know any Rams fans. They are either Colts, Bears, or a small group of Packers fans. Now if you are talking baseball then they are all Cards fans

jet1968 I am in a similar position.  I live in the Champaign - Urbana area and it's equidistant for me to travel to St. Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis.  I agree that for this part of Central Illinois the Rams fans are the minority.  Bears fan are far and away the majority, followed by the Colts, then the Packers, and Rams pulling up the rear.  I know that with the Direct TV package I could watch all the LA Rams games next year that I want but I just can't bring myself to do it.  Part of this is my bitterness towards Kroenke but honestly I want to follow a NFL team where I can drive to the games on any given NFL Sunday.  I want to be able to tailgate with like minded fans and enjoy the camaraderie.  It's a no-brainer for me to adopt the Colts plus I've always enjoyed visiting Indianapolis.  I've been to 4 Colts home games over the past 5 years and considered them my favorite AFC team anyway (absolutely love watching Luck).  As a former St. Louis professional football fan I've had my heart ripped out now twice (Cardinals and now Rams).  I'm ready to settle down and root for a team that is stably entrenched into the city with an billionaire owner that has no plans to pickup and leave for a new destination just to make a few billion more dollars.  Go Colts!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Solon said:

Lakers have been mediocre for nearly 3 years in a row and they're still selling out game by game. Dodgers were sorry in the early 2000's, yet fans were filling up the seats. Why do people continue to spread that "we only care about Hollywood" nonsense? I want to say another word, but I'm afraid to get banned. Quit disrespecting us if you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I'll meet you in the middle a bit. The people that care about sports in LA care about them because of their high payroll for their LA teams that you said, such as the the Lakers and Dodgers. LA isn't going to get that from the Rams. They are going to get a team on level with everyone else with a salary cap, and a team in rebuilding mode. Some football fans weren't alive in LA last time they were the Rams. Oh, and you say the Lakers and Dodgers were filling up the seats, that's because the fans know in LA there's little to no rebuilding period when you have a higher payroll. The Dodgers never rebuild, and they have a great farm system now to boot along with a good lineup and Clayton Kershaw. The Lakers are sold out right now because Kobe announced this is his last season and he's been there forever. He drew people there almost his whole career. When you win 5 championships, the people there will suffer a few years to see your career end. The Dodgers have always had a top 3 payroll and now they have the top payroll in baseball. The "LA Rams" will get a lot less support from the LA fans because they are entitled and believe they deserve a competitive advantage, and this team doesn't have one like the rest with an NFL salary cap. 

43 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll meet you in the middle a bit. The people that care about sports in LA care about them because of their high payroll for their LA teams that you said, such as the the Lakers and Dodgers. LA isn't going to get that from the Rams. They are going to get a team on level with everyone else with a salary cap, and a team in rebuilding mode. Some football fans weren't alive in LA last time they were the Rams. Oh, and you say the Lakers and Dodgers were filling up the seats, that's because the fans know in LA there's little to no rebuilding period when you have a higher payroll. The Dodgers never rebuild, and they have a great farm system now to boot along with a good lineup and Clayton Kershaw. The Lakers are sold out right now because Kobe announced this is his last season and he's been there forever. He drew people there almost his whole career. When you win 5 championships, the people there will suffer a few years to see your career end. The Dodgers have always had a top 3 payroll and now they have the top payroll in baseball. The "LA Rams" will get a lot less support from the LA fans because they are entitled and believe they deserve a competitive advantage, and this team doesn't have one like the rest with an NFL salary cap. 

What payroll are you talking about? I'm not talking about the Stan Kasten Dodgers. I'm talking about the Frank McCourt Dodgers. The Dodgers that didn't spend any money or try to acquire any talent. Only player McCourt got that was worth watching was Manny Ramirez. We still waltzed into the stadium and sold out the seats. Lakers were selling out games during the 1990's when it was the Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones show in the forum. Also was selling out in the middle 2000's when it wasn't much to watch other than Kobe, Chris Mihm and Smush Parker. We stood by the Kings throughout their mediocrity. We're not entitled fans by any stretch of the imagination. We've been labelled that because our teams have always been competitive and in championship contention. People assume when our teams aren't winning, we just abandon them. It's not remotely close to the truth.

2 minutes ago, Solon said:

What payroll are you talking about? I'm not talking about the Stan Kasten Dodgers. I'm talking about the Frank McCourt Dodgers. The Dodgers that didn't spend any money or try to acquire any talent. Only player McCourt got that was worth watching was Manny Ramirez. We still waltzed into the stadium and sold out the seats. Lakers were selling out games during the 1990's when it was the Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones show in the forum. Also was selling out in the middle 2000's when it wasn't much to watch other than Kobe, Chris Mihm and Smush Parker. We stood by the Kings throughout their mediocrity. We're not entitled fans by any stretch of the imagination. We've been labelled that because our teams have always been competitive and in championship contention. People assume when our teams aren't winning, we just abandon them. It's not remotely close to the truth.

The true test will come then when the Rams play next year. Barring a Miracle with a rookie QB that breaks out year 1, I believe the the LA Rams fans will be put immediately to the test when their new team struggles next year. I want to see it for myself that they stay loyal and keep attendance at least equal to 2016 in 2017 after a bad year. Football is a whole new game where everyone's equal. I also apologize on the dodgers as I got the wrong era mixed up, I will be a man and admit my mistake there. For some reason I thought Kasten owned the team longer as he's in his 60s. The dodgers obviously are not my team lol.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I believe its cheesy to him cuz i think he's from Baltimore.

i've been a Colt fan before and after they moved to Indy.

i went to lots of games in Baltimore.  However, having always lived in Pennsylvania, i don't think i felt the level of pain and frustration that those nearer to Baltimore did and still do.  Its easier for me to separate team and city.

i have no problem with the Colts reaching out.  Its good business and the neighborly thing to do.

I agree with your point here . Being from PA does not in any way diminish you as a Colts fan, but you definitely wouldn't feel as much pain as people in the Baltimore metro area. The reason is because we were part of the direct community that was rejected. Probably if I was from Harrisburg , it could have increased my chances of following the Colts to Indy. You also have a sub section of fans that become fans of teams because they follow a player like a Peyton Manning. 

If  I was a born and bred Hoosier, I would have been delighted getting the Colts and the NFL. If they left for LA, I would have no interest in the Colts, and would hope for another team in Indy. Once they came, I would be a fan of that team. Hypothetically, if they moved, I would hope Indy kept their logos and colors and Championship history. I understand the owners have control of this, but the fans should at least have their history . I'm very happy Cleveland kept the Browns history, but Modell was ready to do the wrong thing. Hats off to Browns fans for making a stink. I'm not making this point to knock you guys, because the horseshoe has been there for 32 years , and it's water under the bridge now, but this is one factor that really kills the fans that lose their teams. I would feel the same way if it happened to Indy, St Louis , or wherever. 

Mr. Owner, ok, you have to move your team for whatever reason . Let's say your Davis and want to go to San Antonio. Move the team, become the Alamo's or something, and leave the history in Oakland . Only by circumstances did the Rams end up back in LA, and all you hear in how a historic franchise is returning home. That will never happen in other cities. In my opinion, changing logos and colors when moving, gives the receiving city a fresh indentity, and keeps the history at the losing city in case a team comes back. In St Louis's case, they never should have been the Rams, but the Cardinals, as a new team in Arizona should have been renamed. Half the time, the logos/ team names don't even make sense in the new city, like the Utah Jazz ! All that being said, you guys got cool logos, uniforms , and history . You got the Cadillac of NFL history. Arizona received the Bidwell cesspool .

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree and maybe its because the teams have not historically been successful but the Cardinals left there too. I mean it isn't exactly Cleveland who still sells out every game despite being just as unsuccessful. There was no doubt Kroenke did this for a money grab...but without a better stadium proposal that would force the NFL to step in and tell him accept it or sell the team it wasn't going to happen. I hate the idea of a city losing its team...those fans are disappointed but that's a hard market....its not a well established football town...you have KC and Chicago who both have more fan support etc....there just isn't much room for error...and the LA thing hanging over the NFL was all but going to kill some fan's team...it was just a matter of which one.

The Cardinals left because they couldn't get public money for a stadium, didn't have much to do with fans.  Bidwell wanted a handout, STL balked, hoping he was bluffing, and he left.  I wasn't old enough to remember it, but to this day Michael Bidwell says they really wanted to stay, but they didn't want to pay for their own stadium.  STL screwed up there, especially since they went after the Rams so soon after losing the Cardinals.  

Establishment was definitely a problem.  The Rams were here for 20 years, and only 4 of those were successfull.  So it wasn't enough time for a lot of fans who had already established fandom with another team, to completely jump on board with the Rams.  Some people jumped aboard during the GSOT days, but once the losing started, it wasn't enough to keep them.  20 years also isn't enough to get that second generation of fans.  People like myself who grew up with them, are just now having kids that are old enough to be interested.  

I get all the reasons why he left, most important to Kroenke, $$$, but this is going to sting for a long time for someone like myself that was entrenched.  May check out a game in Indy this coming season.  

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Mr. Owner, ok, you have to move your team for whatever reason . Let's say your Davis and want to go to San Antonio. Move the team, become the Alamo's or something, and leave the history in Oakland . Only by circumstances did the Rams end up back in LA, and all you hear in how a historic franchise is returning home. That will never happen in other cities. In my opinion, changing logos and colors when moving, gives the receiving city a fresh indentity, and keeps the history at the losing city in case a team comes back. In St Louis's case, they never should have been the Rams, but the Cardinals, as a new team in Arizona should have been renamed. 

Agree with this 1000%.  Rebranding the team gives that city a sense of ownership and identity.  I always wished the Rams in STL would've rebranded to the Stallions (the expansion team we were trying to get), but without the hideous color scheme they originally came out with.  

Wouldn't St. Louis Ram's fans be more likely to turn to Kansas City?

Seems like the most logical place.  Closest team geographically, in the same state, an AFC team (so not a team that they learned to hate while fans of the NFC St. Louis Rams).

Seems much more logical then being Colts fans for them.  What in the world would connect the people in St. Louis to Indiana or Indianapolis other then the fact that according to Wikipedia they also use the word Hoosier a lot.  (But to them a Hoosier is a lazy person)

On 1/14/2016 at 5:48 AM, Cynjin said:

Trying to increase their fan base.  It makes sense, there are probably a lot of disenfranchised fans looking for a new team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25448342/look-colts-are-openly-recruiting-heartbroken-st-louis-rams-fans

That is very true honestly and I am one of many of them. I know a lot of Rams fans, many even diehard ones but they way this has all gone down has soured a lot of them. In fact I do not know of one Rams fan in the area (I live on the IL side of STL) that is not looking for a new team. It's not just sour grapes either. If I were a San Diego or Oakland fan and they moved I would stick with the team. They are in bad stadiums and have looked to get new ones for years. Heck the Dome in STL is only 20 years old and the Chargers have been trying to get a new stadium for the last 15. They would probably kill to have gotten a stadium like the Dome in San Diego but nothing has happened and most likely nothing was ever going to happen for them. The combination of the Dome only being 20 years old, the fact that the team has been so bad for so long but still had solid fan support, the way the ownership has lied to the fans for almost a decade now about wanting to stay, the refusal to do anything to get a new stadium here while the city is spending millions to try and make that happen and the blatant lies they put in their report to the NFL that totally trashed the city and fans scorched the earth so badly that very few are willing to stick with them.

My best friend, who was the biggest Rams fan you could imagine for years now, and his wife are going colts and my wife and I are really considering it vs. KC or TN who are the 3 closest to us. Honestly I really liked the Colts attempt to reach out to Rams fans. So Colts fans, what would you say to someone who is on the fence? How is the game experience? A lot of bandwagon fans who drop off if the team is struggling or are they pretty solid regardless? Anything else that would make the trip to Indy for a game worth while?

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Seems like the most logical place.  Closest team geographically, in the same state, an AFC team (so not a team that they learned to hate while fans of the NFC St. Louis Rams).

Seems much more logical then being Colts fans for them.  What in the world would connect the people in St. Louis to Indiana or Indianapolis other then the fact that according to Wikipedia they also use the word Hoosier a lot.  (But to them a Hoosier is a lazy person)

For some reason there is a lot of bad blood between Rams fans and the chiefs. Some will eventually go that way but a lot of them really really hate KC.

31 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Well Valpo2004, it may be much more logical. But, whoever said that NFL fans are logical when it comes to supporting their favorite teams? I'm from New Orleans, live in the Cincy area, and have been a fan of the Colts since 1965. Figure that one out. :) 

34 minutes ago, RecoveringRam said:

That is very true honestly and I am one of many of them. I know a lot of Rams fans, many even diehard ones but they way this has all gone down has soured a lot of them. In fact I do not know of one Rams fan in the area (I live on the IL side of STL) that is not looking for a new team. It's not just sour grapes either. If I were a San Diego or Oakland fan and they moved I would stick with the team. They are in bad stadiums and have looked to get new ones for years. Heck the Dome in STL is only 20 years old and the Chargers have been trying to get a new stadium for the last 15. They would probably kill to have gotten a stadium like the Dome in San Diego but nothing has happened and most likely nothing was ever going to happen for them. The combination of the Dome only being 20 years old, the fact that the team has been so bad for so long but still had solid fan support, the way the ownership has lied to the fans for almost a decade now about wanting to stay, the refusal to do anything to get a new stadium here while the city is spending millions to try and make that happen and the blatant lies they put in their report to the NFL that totally trashed the city and fans scorched the earth so badly that very few are willing to stick with them.

My best friend, who was the biggest Rams fan you could imagine for years now, and his wife are going colts and my wife and I are really considering it vs. KC or TN who are the 3 closest to us. Honestly I really liked the Colts attempt to reach out to Rams fans. So Colts fans, what would you say to someone who is on the fence? How is the game experience? A lot of bandwagon fans who drop off if the team is struggling or are they pretty solid regardless? Anything else that would make the trip to Indy for a game worth while?

What would we say to someone who is on the fence? You've already received your answer from the Colts organization. Here's one fan's answer : Get in here! Glad to have you guys! The game experience at Lucas Oil is phenomenal. Bar none. Friendly atmosphere & surroundings. 

Oh yeah, your last sentence. The Colts are revamping this team to be a powerhouse over the next decade. You probably already know that. What better way to enjoy your new NFL team experience than ride the jet to a couple Super Bowls in the not so distant future? 

I welcome you to our family of "O N E" & wish you guys all the success you should've already been enjoying with our franchise. 

On January 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Cynjin said:

I don't know if it's too soon or not, but the fans will make their choices and some will probably choose to cheer for the Colts.

Think you hit this on the proverbial head. Seems as though we have some interested Rams fans looking in our direction. I'd welcome each & every one to the Colts family with open arms. And, how could you not argue that point with ...

A great city. A great franchise & owner that WANTS to win along with the BEST fans in the NFL. A forum that's dedicated to every one of these causes. If it sounds like I'm trying to beat our drum? ...

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Actually, it is almost the exact same distance from STL to KC or to Indy.  So it depends on whether you are from Missouri or not.  For myself, being in Illinois, Indy is closer for me and I really have no ties to the state of Missouri, other than rooting for my local STL teams.  And as someone mentioned above, there has always been some KC/STL dislike depending on the person.  

1 hour ago, RecoveringRam said:

I have not paid much attention to the St. Louis situation until recently, but I can understand the dislike for the owner.  Especially since he was saying how he was from the state and how he had no plans of leaving, but as soon as he was able to exercise the escape clause in the contract he did and stopped negotiations with the city.

You would be welcome as Colts fans.  The game experience was great when I have gone to games.  Every team has some bandwagon fans, but the fan base for the Colts is solid.  If I had a complaint about the fan base it would be that there are too many that sit on their hands and do not make enough noise when the Colts are on defense.

49 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Think you hit this on the proverbial head. Seems as though we have some interested Rams fans looking in our direction. I'd welcome each & every one to the Colts family with open arms. And, how could you not argue that point with ...

A great city. A great franchise & owner that WANTS to win along with the BEST fans in the NFL. A forum that's dedicated to every one of these causes. If it sounds like I'm trying to beat our drum? ...

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. 

I agree, if they are looking for a new team to root for the Colts are a great choice.  If they would prefer KC, well...they have really good fans too.

5 hours ago, RecoveringRam said:

The game experience is a fun one and I personally think Colts fans are some of the classiest in the league.  Something you won't see if you travel into Ohio to say, the Bengals.  Colts fans can be overly optimistic, always expecting the best, but I wouldn't say most are bandwagon fans.  Somewhat the opposite of the Bears, always expecting things to implode.  Although some will come out of the woodwork when the Colts are winning, this is true of any fanbase.   But the Colts have a very loyal core of fans, you won't see an empty stadium in losing season.  Also, something quite different than St.Louis, no offense to your former team, we have an owner that is very committed to winning.  

I'm a former Rams fan that will now be following the Colts.  I've made a few trips over the years to Pacers games and I really have enjoyed spending time in Indianapolis.  I was always a Colts fan before St. Louis got the Rams and now I'm back. I'll probably travel to 1-2 games per year as I love the live NFL atmosphere.  

So first things first, what are we looking at this offseason?  What is the consensus on what is needed in the first round of the draft?  What do I need to know about this team as a newcomer?  Thanks and I look forward to reading up on the team in the next few months before the draft.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

In the STL vernacular, hoosier = redneck.

2 hours ago, Corndog said:

The game experience is a fun one and I personally think Colts fans are some of the classiest in the league.  Something you won't see if you travel into Ohio to say, the Bengals.  Colts fans can be overly optimistic, always expecting the best, but I wouldn't say most are bandwagon fans.  Somewhat the opposite of the Bears, always expecting things to implode.  Although some will come out of the woodwork when the Colts are winning, this is true of any fanbase.   But the Colts have a very loyal core of fans, you won't see an empty stadium in losing season.  Also, something quite different than St.Louis, no offense to your former team, we have an owner that is very committed to winning.  

No offense taken at all. We had an owner who was trying to put a bad team on the field to cause fewer people to come to the games so they could use that as ammo to make their case to leave. The Rams had a lot of loyal fans but people will only pay a lot of money to see them get blown out over and over and over before they just stop coming to the games. Even last year though when everyone knew the team wanted to leave they still averaged 80-85% capacity which is good considering the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, RecoveringRam said:

No offense taken at all. We had an owner who was trying to put a bad team on the field to cause fewer people to come to the games so they could use that as ammo to make their case to leave. The Rams had a lot of loyal fans but people will only pay a lot of money to see them get blown out over and over and over before they just stop coming to the games. Even last year though when everyone knew the team wanted to leave they still averaged 80-85% capacity which is good considering the circumstances.

That's quite an accusation. The Rams actually have a good roster, with some well paid players (Quinn, Long, Laurinitis, Cook, etc.) They need a QB and a receiver, but the only decision that is a direct reflection of ownership is the head coach. I don't think Kroenke would hire Fisher and make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league if he didn't think he was a good coach. I don't think Fisher is a good coach, but it's not my decision. If Kroenke wanted a bad product, he'd have let Spagnuolo continue to languish, right?

I get being upset, I just think that's a pretty strange accusation, one that doesn't hold up. JMO

2 hours ago, bzg44 said:

I'm a former Rams fan that will now be following the Colts.  I've made a few trips over the years to Pacers games and I really have enjoyed spending time in Indianapolis.  I was always a Colts fan before St. Louis got the Rams and now I'm back. I'll probably travel to 1-2 games per year as I love the live NFL atmosphere.  

So first things first, what are we looking at this offseason?  What is the consensus on what is needed in the first round of the draft?  What do I need to know about this team as a newcomer?  Thanks and I look forward to reading up on the team in the next few months before the draft.

Take a look around the forum. Some posters have been looking forward to the offseason since Week 2... Lots of talk about the draft and offseason needs, and we have a section dedicated to offseason stuff. You'll find lots of what you're looking for around here.

Welcome to the site. Hopefully you just missed the worst season we'll have for a while. 

44 minutes ago, RecoveringRam said:

It really was amazing how poorly we as Rams fans were treated and yet we still filled that dome pretty well for the most part.  Oh well, the Rams are dead to me now.  On to another dome.  Very much looking forward to learning about a new team and getting to know some of the hardcore fans here.

5 minutes ago, bzg44 said:

It really was amazing how poorly we as Rams fans were treated and yet we still filled that dome pretty well for the most part.  Oh well, the Rams are dead to me now.  On to another dome.  Very much looking forward to learning about a new team and getting to know some of the hardcore fans here.

Welcome to the Colts forum, and to ColtsNation !!!  I know you'll enjoy your time here, and any questions, just holler, someone will answer :)

16 minutes ago, bzg44 said:

Sorry for your loss man, can't imagine how bad it must feel. 

Welcome to the Colts fandom though. Be warned however, the troll game is strong on this board.

7 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

Welcome to the Colts forum, and to ColtsNation !!!  I know you'll enjoy your time here, and any questions, just holler, someone will answer :)

Appreciate it.  It's a little strange for me this year.  I'm always pumped for the NFL draft, but with a new team it's kinda hard to know the particular needs of the team.  I'm a big fan of Luck and it's amazing how much better my QB got by switching teams :) Something tells me I'll enjoy watching a competent QB play over the absolute junk I've seen for the Rams over the last decade.  I only wish Gurley could somehow come over to the Colts as well.  Things look pretty bleak at RB.

31 minutes ago, bzg44 said:

Appreciate it.  It's a little strange for me this year.  I'm always pumped for the NFL draft, but with a new team it's kinda hard to know the particular needs of the team.  I'm a big fan of Luck and it's amazing how much better my QB got by switching teams :) Something tells me I'll enjoy watching a competent QB play over the absolute junk I've seen for the Rams over the last decade.  I only wish Gurley could somehow come over to the Colts as well.  Things look pretty bleak at RB.

the RB situation in Indy is alright for now. Frank Gore carried the load well last year. Could definitely stand to get younger, though. The big needs are Pass rushers, interior offensive line (center specifically), and depth at corner.

Bright spots on the team (other than Andrew Luck):

-Loads of young WR talent: TY Hilton, Donte Moncrief, and Phillip Dorsett

-Rising star at Corner: Vontae Davis (though depth behind him is lacking...)

-Promising young Defensive line: Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford (you probably know that name), Art Jones, and other rotational guys all show promise

With a new offensive coordinator in Rob "Chud" Chudzinski, the offense will be looking to put up gaudy passing numbers. Current big questions on offense are how will they adjust the o line (looks to be a complete change in scheme), who will we get to back up Frank Gore and Andrew Luck, what will we do with our two expiring TE contracts (Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen), and can the offense be less predictable and vanilla than it was under previous OC Pep Hamilton.

Defensively, the hope is a healthier and more productive offense will help a struggling defense become less gassed at the end of games (along with new defensive coordinator, Ted Monachino). The big questions here are how will they adjust the disgraceful pass rush (aged pass rushers Robert Mathis and Trent Cole did not produce last year), and how will they repair the broken DB depth behind Vontae Davis.

Overall, the Colts are team that traditionally is shaky on defense, but can churn out points at the speed of plaid. This has been the case since the Manning years, and continues to be the case in the Luck years. A healthy and on point Andrew Luck is what gives this team it's best chance to win most games, but with defensive improvements, they could potentially be a dark horse to win it all.

19 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

the RB situation in Indy is alright for now. Frank Gore carried the load well last year. Could definitely stand to get younger, though. The big needs are Pass rushers, interior offensive line (center specifically), and depth at corner.

Bright spots on the team (other than Andrew Luck):

-Loads of young WR talent: TY Hilton, Donte Moncrief, and Phillip Dorsett

-Rising star at Corner: Vontae Davis (though depth behind him is lacking...)

-Promising young Defensive line: Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford (you probably know that name), Art Jones, and other rotational guys all show promise

With a new offensive coordinator in Rob "Chud" Chudzinski, the offense will be looking to put up gaudy passing numbers. Current big questions on offense are how will they adjust the o line (looks to be a complete change in scheme), who will we get to back up Frank Gore and Andrew Luck, what will we do with our two expiring TE contracts (Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen), and can the offense be less predictable and vanilla than it was under previous OC Pep Hamilton.

Defensively, the hope is a healthier and more productive offense will help a struggling defense become less gassed at the end of games (along with new defensive coordinator, Ted Monachino). The big questions here are how will they adjust the disgraceful pass rush (aged pass rushers Robert Mathis and Trent Cole did not produce last year), and how will they repair the broken DB depth behind Vontae Davis.

Overall, the Colts are team that traditionally is shaky on defense, but can churn out points at the speed of plaid. This has been the case since the Manning years, and continues to be the case in the Luck years. A healthy and on point Andrew Luck is what gives this team it's best chance to win most games, but with defensive improvements, they could potentially be a dark horse to win it all.

I really appreciate the breakdown.  Going to be a little different going from an all defense team to a mostly offensive team.  Everything I've been reading so far seems to indicate needing some o-line help.  Sitting at the #18 I'd be ok with an offensive lineman, although I'm usually of the thinking of using that first round pick on a playmaker.

Like I said earlier, the Colts have always been by #2 team since I was a kid in the Jim Harbaugh days.  I'm already planning on traveling to Indy with my family for a couple games next season.  I'm sure I'll be hitting all of you guys up on the best places to tailgate or to grab a drink before the games.  

9 hours ago, bzg44 said:

I really appreciate the breakdown.  Going to be a little different going from an all defense team to a mostly offensive team.  Everything I've been reading so far seems to indicate needing some o-line help.  Sitting at the #18 I'd be ok with an offensive lineman, although I'm usually of the thinking of using that first round pick on a playmaker.

Like I said earlier, the Colts have always been by #2 team since I was a kid in the Jim Harbaugh days.  I'm already planning on traveling to Indy with my family for a couple games next season.  I'm sure I'll be hitting all of you guys up on the best places to tailgate or to grab a drink before the games.  

Offensive line isn't the #1 need as far as first round talent goes. the the tackles and left guard are decent enough, its been bad center and shaky right guard play that's made things iffy. We also are changing from a power blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme this year, so we'll see if that helps things.

The real high end need is an edge rusher. The Colts have absolutely nobody who can rush the passer on their own, and requires stunts and trickery to generate any kind of pass rush off the edge. We run a 3-4 defensive scheme, so an upgrade at OLB really needs to happen above all else. A good chunk of our QB pressure last year came from some great Defensive line play. That's nice, but you should be getting that pressure from the OLB in a 3-4. An actual pass rush would help disguise the lack of depth at DB at well.

Given that the Linebackers are a big need, many on this board are excited at the prospect of LB Jaylon Smith dropping due to his injury, with the idea of picking him up this year in the draft to have for next year. Even those who don't have us drafting linebacker early, have us spending a good chunk of free agent money on at least one edge rusher.

16 hours ago, bzg44 said:

Read the forum extensively. All of the Colts football & related sections. Read the history of the team on your search engine. That'll give you a good start. When you're ready & comfortable, begin posting. Welcome to the Colts! Looking forward to conversing with you.

My wife is from southern Illinois. You would think her friends etc would be StL fans but they are all bear fans and split Cardinal cub fans. The Rams just never registered for a lot her age. Hard to say who fans will turn to but any that want to support our Colts I'm fine with. Like I said hopefully it will expand the Colts tv market so I get to see more games.

I would like to welcome all ex-Rams/new Colts fans and fans who are sitting on the fence!  If you're not sure who to root for and are considering the Colts, think about this:  NFL teams are successful because they have a franchise QB.  Period.  The Colts are in good hands in that area.  Luck is a very good QB with the potential to be great.  Do NOT go by this past season.  By all accounts Luck was hurt in the first game in Buffalo and didn't look himself even when he played after that.  He should be fine next season.  The Colts desperately need OL help, among other things, but the core of the team is pretty good and they aren't really as old as some think.  Most of the old guys weren't really contributing much anyway and will likely be cut loose.  The good corp guys are pretty young still, they just need to add some pieces around them.  Think about this too: their division is not strong.  The Colts had their franchise QB miss 9 games this year and they still only missed winning the division by 1 game!  And when your team wins the division you are in the tournament where anything can happen!

The game experience in Indy is great!  Great facility, great fans, great city.  You can get in/out pretty easily.  Tickets aren't that over-the-top compared to other cities either.  Do yourself a favor and get to a game next season and check it out for yourself.  You won't be disappointed.

Side note: when the Colts played in St Louis last time about 5 or 6 years ago, my wife and I went and there were a LOT of Colts fans there so I know there is a decent-sized fanbase in southern Illinois/St Louis area.  I highly doubt ALL those thousands of people were from Indy.  So get on board, get to Indy, and get LOUD with Colts Nation!

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Corndog said:

I am from Fort Wayne and the Detroit Pistons are from here.  Infact, while the name Pistons fits Detroit, actually it was named after owner, Fred Zoellner's company, Zoellner Pistons.  They reached the NBA finals twice and played right down the street from at Northside High School.  Of course, Fort Wayne wasn't big enough to support an NBA franchise once the league became bigger and the team moved to Detroit in 1957. 

I'm pretty sure the Fort Wayne Pistons only made the NBA Finals once.  They lost the series to the Syracuse Nationals.  An interesting note on that series.  The Pistons played some (maybe all?) of their home games in Indianapolis because nobody expected them to still be playing at that point in the season so their home court was leased out for a bowling tournament.  My how times have changed.

On 1/14/2016 at 7:28 AM, azcolt said:

It only brings back memories of the midnight Mayflower abandonment of Colts fans. Cheesy is a good description.. Like Irsay really cares and I think he voted for this move.

The Baltimore Colts Fans & the Legislature Abandoned the Colts & forced there hand .

I'm from L.A I remember the Rams being the home team as was the Raiders ,

Cheesy that is not reading up on history & understanding that teams are businesses with a right to relocate its all about the money ,

Sunny So Cal reclaimed there team because they could its a better place to have a pro team thats obvious 3 teams interested in the NFL &  Even the Anaheim Angles call there self L.A although there in Orange County .

Bottom line is New York & California are where all the action & bright lights are .

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The Baltimore Colts Fans & the Legislature Abandoned the Colts & forced there hand .

I'm from L.A I remember the Rams being the home team as was the Raiders ,

Cheesy that is not reading up on history & understanding that teams are businesses with a right to relocate its all about the money ,

Sunny So Cal reclaimed there team because they could its a better place to have a pro team thats obvious 3 teams interested in the NFL &  Even the Anaheim Angles call there self L.A although there in Orange County .

Bottom line is New York & California are where all the action & bright lights are .

I'm not saying eminent domain is right, but  when you are doing stadium visits in Phoenix and Charlotte, you have a welcome party in Jacksonville when you are still in Baltimore, and your son and your lawyer are in Indy being chased by reporters, it tends to make you paranoid. 

It was a stupid move by an inept legislature , but it didn't come out of a vacuum. 

The fans never abandoned the Colts. They had sell outs from 58-72, when most stadiums never sold out . They sold out most games from 75-77. The habitual losing from 78-83 resulted in fan apathy and lower attendance  typical in all cities when you have prolonged losing. The fact that the Ravens have sold out virtually all games since 1996, shows Baltimore is a good NFL city. All I'm saying is there is much more to the story then the Baltimore is horrible perspective . The truth always lies somewhere in the middle. 

As far as the Rams, you gloss over their past horrible attendance issues from their fans, leaving games early to beat traffic, and not giving Rosenbloom/ Frontiere a new stadium anymore than Baltimore did. The crummy coliseum is still there and will host games, while Memorial Stadium is a parking lot, and Baltimore has beautiful Camden Yards and M & T Bank Stadium near the Inner Harbor. The bright lights and big city were such an attraction, that it took 20 years for the NFL to come back to LA.  I compliment you guys for building a beautiful stadium in Indy, but remember , all of these NFL owners have been leveraging their current cities against LA for new stadium deals, for 20 years. Don't worry it's not over , next will be London ! 

16 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I'm not saying eminent domain is right, but  when you are doing stadium visits in Phoenix and

Charlotte, you have a welcome party in Jacksonville when you are still in Baltimore, and your son and your lawyer are in Indy being chased by reporters, it tends to make you paranoid. 

It was a stupid move by an inept legislature , but it didn't come out of a vacuum. 

The fans never abandoned the Colts. They had sell outs from 58-72, when most stadiums never sold out . They sold out most games from 75-77. The habitual losing from 78-83 resulted in fan apathy and lower attendance  typical in all cities when you have prolonged losing. The fact that the Ravens have sold out virtually all games since 1996, shows Baltimore is a good NFL city. All I'm saying is there is much more to the story then the Baltimore is horrible perspective . The truth always lies somewhere in the middle. 

As far as the Rams, you gloss over their past horrible attendance issues from their fans, leaving games early to beat traffic, and not giving Rosenbloom/ Frontiere a new stadium anymore than Baltimore did. The crummy coliseum is still there and will host games, while Memorial Stadium is a parking lot, and Baltimore has beautiful Camden Yards and M & T Bank Stadium near the Inner Harbor. The bright lights and big city were such an attraction, that it took 20 years for the NFL to come back to LA.  I compliment you guys for building a beautiful stadium in Indy, but remember , all of these NFL owners have been leveraging their current cities against LA for new stadium deals, for 20 years. Don't worry it's not over , next will be London ! 

This is what frustrates me the most when talking about teams moving.  Owners always use the trump card of fan attendance and the Rams owner used it as well.  You look at the Rams history and outside the small run with Warner and Faulk that team has been awful.  So fans are supposed to continue spilling thousands of dollars into that team sell out each game when that franchise has been inept for a majority of its time in St. Louis.  

I know Colts fans use that argument against Baltimore, but the Colts were doormats during the final years there and to expect fans to spend that amount of money even back then is crazy. You cannot be a big time loser year after year and still expect fans to turn out.  Of course, when your owner really wants to move, in the case of St. Louis, losing is the best thing because the lack of fan support gives them an easy out.

I feel bad for the city of St. Louis.  Their government gave the Rams a pretty great deal to get there and the city is now on the hook for millions of dollars on a stadium that will basically be empty.  If the NFL did not want to be a holes they could easily swoop in and pay off the debt, but I am sure the NFL does not care and they will just ignore St. Louis.

I do have to applaud the owner of the Rams as his stadium and area around is all privately financed.  Most of these stadiums are such corporate welfare especially stadiums like in Dallas and San Fran.  These stadiums are no where near restaurants or hotels compared to say what the LA stadium is or even LOS. You hear how these stadiums will pay for themselves to generate tax revenue, but really your paying millions of dollars for that stadium to be used maybe 20 days out of the year.

I got to give the NFL and the owners credit.  They have a sweet deal going on right now.

55 minutes ago, Thewholefnshow28 said:

This is what frustrates me the most when talking about teams moving.  Owners always use the trump card of fan attendance and the Rams owner used it as well.  You look at the Rams history and outside the small run with Warner and Faulk that team has been awful.  So fans are supposed to continue spilling thousands of dollars into that team sell out each game when that franchise has been inept for a majority of its time in St. Louis.  

I know Colts fans use that argument against Baltimore, but the Colts were doormats during the final years there and to expect fans to spend that amount of money even back then is crazy. You cannot be a big time loser year after year and still expect fans to turn out.  Of course, when your owner really wants to move, in the case of St. Louis, losing is the best thing because the lack of fan support gives them an easy out.

I feel bad for the city of St. Louis.  Their government gave the Rams a pretty great deal to get there and the city is now on the hook for millions of dollars on a stadium that will basically be empty.  If the NFL did not want to be a holes they could easily swoop in and pay off the debt, but I am sure the NFL does not care and they will just ignore St. Louis.

I do have to applaud the owner of the Rams as his stadium and area around is all privately financed.  Most of these stadiums are such corporate welfare especially stadiums like in Dallas and San Fran.  These stadiums are no where near restaurants or hotels compared to say what the LA stadium is or even LOS. You hear how these stadiums will pay for themselves to generate tax revenue, but really your paying millions of dollars for that stadium to be used maybe 20 days out of the year.

I got to give the NFL and the owners credit.  They have a sweet deal going on right now.

I agree with your point on attendance. When you have prolonged losing, the diehards come, but  then you start losing the casual fan, and attendance goes down. It is universal and happened to Baltimore , St Louis, and even Indy in the late 80's and early 90's. It happened to the Yankees when CBS owned them !

Kroenke knew the taxpayers of LA would not pass a stadium bill, which is why they lost the team in the first place. Ol' Double dealing Stan was involved in bringing them out to St Louis, and gradually bought  out the rest of the team, and sold out his community. Despite not getting tax help, he knows the TV and radio dollars, plus corporate revenue, and NFL offices located there , will bring in tons of money. 

He he is a carpetbagger of the worst sort, who sold out his own community. Bob Irsay , at least, was a Chicago guy , not a Baltimore guy. He didn't like Baltimore, their politicians, or the local reporters. Besides the eminent domain, this was part of the dynamic. Kroenke, though, sold out his city. It is just unbridled greed. All of you fans out there, remember Bob Irsay's words well: " This isn't your team, your cities team, this is my team, my families team." 

Basically, except for Green Bay, all of us fans are pawns in a chess game, and no matter how much passion , emotion, history, and cash you put in to your team, it can all be taken away by an owner. It's the way it is. Here comes London !!!