4 pm press conference / UPDATE: NO presser scheduled yet

CR91

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Nah the NFL Network works to promote the teams, players and the product. Without that the network would not exist. NFL Network knows they work on the NFL's time.

Are you watching the NFL Network? I have been watching all day long.

They actually just said there was no press conference scheduled. 

They misled everyone into believing there was going to be a press conference, because they assumed there would be one. 

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Took him almost 2 weeks to fire  Caldwell in 2012.....

That's because they (Irsay and Grigson) were originally going to keep Caldwell.  Caldwell sat in with Grigson (and Irsay?) to interview Steve Spagnuolo for the vacant Defensive coordinator position.  Spagnuolo declined and they announced that they were firing Caldwell the next day.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Are you watching the NFL Network? I have been watching all day long.

They actually just said there was no press conference scheduled. 

They misled everyone into believing there was going to be a press conference, because they assumed there would be one. 

I'd love that to be true because Kravitz and the other muppets have been there all day waiting.

9 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Not sure why this is a bad thing.  Irsay has everything to gain by doing nothing right now. He has time to evaluate other GMS and coaches if he pleases.  Not renewing Chuck at this moment gives him less options.

I agree.  However, it does allow other teams time to make progress with people we might otherwise be interested in.  I saw where Shanahan, for instance, is getting a second interview in Miami.  I don't want Shanny myself -- but it illustrates the point.

There are costs and benefits to waiting.  Ultimately, I agree with you that the benefits outweigh the costs.

I don't think there's any compelling reason to act in haste.

47 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think he said that as just showing how much he's committed to Indy. Wouldn't make sense to say it during the season that he's open to coach elsewhere.

Good lord, the number of times "ya know" that would come out of both mouths would make that conversation unbearable

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So I guess this means that Irsay is Pagano's boss and not Grigson......

Mr. Irsay is not given to being unfair or brash in his decisions and is probably looking at some of the realities that affected this past season.  While every owner has a goal of winning the super bowl they don't throw away HC or GM talent just to appease the fans or players.  You don't get to be an owner or keep ownership of an NFL team by being overly emotional or stupid.   It's really hard to fault Irsay's judgment in hiring an outside coach, i.e. Dundee & Pagano.  His GM picks haven't been all bad but both have had a tendancy to grab power at every opportunity.   Both the GM and the HC are people that need to collaborate closely in a amicable  environment to produce the best product.   I hope what Mr. Irsay is doing is seeing if there is any reconciliation possible and/or how to best move his team management forward in harmony with or without the current GM and HC.   He knows that circumstances created by the GM's decisions made accomplishing the immediate goal of winning enough games to make the play-offs this season almost impossible.  Simply put, if all your QB's are hurt, there's a reason and all the HC can do is play the players on the roster.   If you don't get Mr. Irsay you simply have to ask yourself why is it that Indianapolis Colts have a long history of hiring players that contribute to the highest integrity of any team in the NFL.  It's because he cares, its obvious.  He hires people that are honorable and if they fail that measure they are offered help and then they are gone if they don't measure up.  That takes class, and decency, and concern.  I'd say he wants to win as bad as anyone, but not at any cost.  He wants to win as an honorable warrior and that is what the Colts have become and should strive to remain.   So beat me up for saying it, but Thank You Mr. Irsay.

2 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

It doesn't sound like a what if report.  "Now that Chuck Pagano has been officially fired" doesn't sound what if at all.

Pagano is a free agent.  He can not be fired!  Pagano can take calls from other teams at this moment.  But he is backing up his words and fighting his behind off to remain HC at this time.

I think any or parts of all of these come into play-

Irsay refuses to rush a decision.  He sees the ability for Chuck to implement change (OC change) and that the locker room was not lost; they fought to the end for him.

Irsay had a guy in mind, and now finds he can't get that guy for a year or two.  Why replace Pagano with a two year stop gap, when you can offer two year contract?

Irsay hears  about the power struggle / dividing line between Pagano and Grigson, and is deciphering all that entails and the best cousre of action regarding it.

Input from other Teams (F.O., GM's, other coaches, etc...)

The fact Irsay isn't rushing into decision(s) doesn't distress me.  I hope it is a sign of due diligence.

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Pagano - 3 year extension as HC, Grigson - 2 year extension as GM ... both expiring in 2018?  (Effectively in 2017, as the mistake of lame duck coach won't be made again, but next time around they both need renewing at the same time?)

Well I'll be.  Almost nailed it!

I've not been the biggest backer of Pagano from a scheming standpoint, but truth is, good coaches evolve into being good.   I have no problem with this and I have no problem with Grigson, for hopefully he too will evolve.

I've not been the biggest backer of Pagano from a scheming standpoint, but truth is, good coaches evolve into being good.   I have no problem with this and I have no problem with Grigson, for hopefully he too will evolve.

Excellent job.  I read this yesterday.  I was thinking...does rockywoj know something that I do not? :)

I don't have a problem with it either. Andrew will be healthy next season so I think as Andrew would say Let it roll, let it roll let it roll! 11-5 again next season is my call. I think Grigs learned a lot from this season and will Draft Defense and O.Lineman. Irsay I think reads this forum, he is an internet type of guy and most wanted Chuck back. Time to go to work guys!

To me, the biggest loser here is Andrew Luck.  He is going to get killed by a Pagano/Grigson combo that has no idea how to protect the QB.

As for us fans, we are doomed to more of the same.  Dominating the AFC south and getting slaughtered by the rest of the league.  YAY us!

28 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

To me, the biggest loser here is Andrew Luck.  He is going to get killed by a Pagano/Grigson combo that has no idea how to protect the QB.

As for us fans, we are doomed to more of the same.  Dominating the AFC south and getting slaughtered by the rest of the league.  YAY us!

Well it is what it is.  The goal is to make the play-offs and start the second season.  We're lucky to be in the South and once into the play-offs, then and only then does it matter that we beat the rest of the league.  It's that simple and a first time GM and a first time HC now know they can't get there if they have to have it their way.  They have to conspire and if Irsay stays on course they will.