Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay buys Ringo Starr's drum kit

crazycolt1

I'm surprised that Ringo would sell this. :dunno:   I know the money is going to a great cause and charity, but I would think this would be one item he'd want to keep.

Very cool that Jim now has something from each of the Fab four.  I never got to see them as a "group" but I have had the pleasure of seeing both Paul and Ringo the past few years.  We saw Paul in Cincinnati and saw Ringo at a venue in our community two years ago.  Both shows were big fun and great memories.

10 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I never got to see them as a "group" but I have had the pleasure of seeing both Paul and Ringo the past few years.  We saw Paul in Cincinnati and saw Ringo at a venue in our community two years ago.  Both shows were big fun and great memories.

never seen any of them live, but the last few times i have hard paul sing, he sounds AWFUL

i'd still go see him live because it's paul 'freakin' mccartney :)

3 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

never seen any of them live, but the last few times i have hard paul sing, he sounds AWFUL

i'd still go see him live because it's paul 'freakin' mccartney :)

We saw him in Cincy 4 years ago, and he really did put on a great show.  We've been to hundreds of concerts and shows and  it is by far one of my favorite memories.  

I'm 60 and remember the Beatles performing on Ed Sullivan, which started me playing drums. Although there are literally thousands of drummers more technical than Ringo, he was perfect for the group. 

We saw Paul in D.C. a couple of years ago and it was great! Almost surreal to think you are watching a Beatle play live. His voice was fine then but it may be faltering somewhat now at a young age of 74..

they broke up months prior to my birth

my aunt got backstage to see them at the indiana state fairgrounds in 1964 thanks to a police officer relative who was working security at the show

she claims paul said hello to her and believe her. she was a very attractive young woman at the time and is an honest person. this was at the height of beatlemania hysteria where young women (teens) came out by the thousands and went berserk at the sight of hem

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I'm surprised that Ringo would sell this. :dunno:   I know the money is going to a great cause and charity, but I would think this would be one item he'd want to keep.

Very cool that Jim now has something from each of the Fab four.  I never got to see them as a "group" but I have had the pleasure of seeing both Paul and Ringo the past few years.  We saw Paul in Cincinnati and saw Ringo at a venue in our community two years ago.  Both shows were big fun and great memories.

Saw Wings back in the 70s in Cleveland, 10th row.  A friend "accidentally" left a tape recorder going in her purse.  Bad quality but it was a great memory.

On a different note, I was lucky enough to visit the Colts practice facility in the spring and got a tour of the museum there.  It was like a billionaires closet.  Besides all the Colts memorabilia, there were things just stuffed away in drawers, like letters from famous and infamous people, original movie scripts, etc.. Very eclectic.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

A lot of money but it's still pretty cool IMO. He now owns something from all four Beatles.

Wow. Wow. 1963 Ludwig Black Pearl Oyster 3 piece. Those were the days, man. Started out on Ludwigs and still play on that make to this day. Love 'em. 

Jimmy, you lucky dog! :)

I saw them at Shea Stadium...8/15/65....during the World's Fair which was held nearby. My Dad popped out the tickets after we'd been to the fair that day.

All I remember was screaming people and flashbulbs....and concert sound was pretty crummy in those days. 

I was 9 years old and fairly oblivious to music in general...and wound up more of a prog rock fan....but its fun recalling the experience.

Love em' or hate em'....they definitely had, and still have, an impact. And if a drum kit is gonna net THAT kind of $$$$...its good to know part of it goes for charity.

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

In an interview Ringo said he had other sets of drums and he was cool with letting it go for a good cause. I was lucky enough to see George at Madison Square Gardens in 1971 for the 8 pm show. I also seen Paul later after the breakup of Wings at Market Square Arena. Flowers In The Dirt had just been released.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

In an interview Ringo said he had other sets of drums and he was cool with letting it go for a good cause. I was lucky enough to see George at Madison Square Gardens in 1971 for the 8 pm show. I also seen Paul later after the breakup of Wings at Market Square Arena. Flowers In The Dirt had just been released.

That's pretty cool....George's Beatles songs are actually among my favorites. They all had pretty respectable post-Beatle careers. 

Love reading all these comments.  My husband and I are both big fans of the group as well.

My husband says when he first saw them on the Ed Sullivan show as a child, he just "KNEW" he was going to be one. haha   I must admit, he is a very good guitarist and vocalist in his "own right".

They were a great inspiration to many future musicians.  :thmup:

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

George had the last #1 Beatle song (Something) and the last #1 album (Cloud Nine). Just too much talent that needed busting out of the group concept I guess.

A ton of songs by George Harrison. Great, great music. A great, great musician.

What is Life. Give me Love. My Sweet Lord. This is love. ... and on & on from the Beatles songs.

My personal favorite Irsay possession (wow, that sounds stalker-ish and creepy!) is the "Tiger" guitar used by Jerry Garcia during the pinnacle of The Grateful Dead. Irsay's love of music seems quite sincere, and I speculate he finds peace and comfort there.  I'm happy people above chose to happily reminisce about the Beatles instead of criticize and name call Jim for buying a musical treasure, which is typical.  Good for Jim.

On 12/5/2015, 10:32:55, pacolts56 said:

I saw them at Shea Stadium...8/15/65....during the World's Fair which was held nearby. My Dad popped out the tickets after we'd been to the fair that day.

All I remember was screaming people and flashbulbs....and concert sound was pretty crummy in those days. 

I was 9 years old and fairly oblivious to music in general...and wound up more of a prog rock fan....but its fun recalling the experience.

Love em' or hate em'....they definitely had, and still have, an impact. And if a drum kit is gonna net THAT kind of $$$$...its good to know part of it goes for charity.

Prog rock is my guilty pleasure as well. I was at George's Concert for Bangla Desh in 71 & saw him later in 74 at MSG. Also saw Ringo & his all star band several years later. Being a guitarist myself I would LOVE to get a gander at some of Jim's collection. He has some awesome pieces of rock history that's for sure.

btw, who's your favorite prog band?

7 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Prog rock is my guilty pleasure as well. I was at George's Concert for Bangla Desh in 71 & saw him later in 74 at MSG. Also saw Ringo & his all star band several years later. Being a guitarist myself I would LOVE to get a gander at some of Jim's collection. He has some awesome pieces of rock history that's for sure.

btw, who's your favorite prog band?

Well...like a lot of prog rock fans my age, Pink Floyd is where I started....with Yes and The Moody Blues being other favorites.

But a UK band named Iona is actually who I enjoy listening to the most now. If you're guitar player and a prog rock fan and haven't yet listened to them...you'll probably appreciate the work of guitarist Dave Bainbridge.  

9 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Well...like a lot of prog rock fans my age, Pink Floyd is where I started....with Yes and The Moody Blues being other favorites.

But a UK band named Iona is actually who I enjoy listening to the most now. If you're guitar player and a prog rock fan and haven't yet listened to them...you'll probably appreciate the work of guitarist Dave Bainbridge.  

I am familiar with Iona. I Know some of Dave Banbridge's solo material from the 90's. I believe he worked with Robert Fripp who I admire as well. I was a Genesis freak from the early 70's. Steve Hackett is my favorite guitarist. Both Hackett & Banbridge have recorded with Nick Beggs. (formerly  bassist for Kajagoogoo)

I saw Iona once several years ago at a 3 day Prog festival that used to be held near me.

Nice "talking" to a Colts fan who is also a prog fan.

I wonder what other Beatles items Jim could buy :

1. John and Yoko's sheets from the 1969 bed in for peace.

2. Pete Best's unemployment check. 

3. A  45 record of William Shatner singing Lucy in the Sky with diamonds. 

4. A bootleg copy of the Beatles vs. Don Ho album. 

5. The toilet seat John Lennon had over his head at the Star Club in Hamburg Germany. 

23 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I wonder what other Beatles items Jim could buy :

1. John and Yoko's sheets from the 1969 bed in for peace.

2. Pete Best's unemployment check. 

3. A  45 record of William Shatner singing Lucy in the Sky with diamonds. 

4. A bootleg copy of the Beatles vs. Don Ho album. 

5. The toilet seat John Lennon had over his head at the Star Club in Hamburg Germany. 

An autographed first edition of "A Spaniard in the Works" by John Lennon?

On December 7, 2015 at 10:12 AM, CoachLite said:

An autographed first edition of "A Spaniard in the Works" by John Lennon?

I actually only have item # 4 in my collection . An autographed Spaniard in the Works, or a doodle by Lennon, would be a great addition to anyone's collection. 

On December 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM, pacolts56 said:

The Moody Blues. Great group. I remember their first Mega-hit : "I Know You're Out There Somewhere". This is my wife & I's song. On our first date, I picked her up & proceeded to my 1969 442. I opened the door for her and got in afterwards. Turned on the stereo and this song started right from the beginning. We both looked at each other & laughed. And the rest is history. SO COOL!

We play it every year on our Anniversary and STILL laugh.