Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One day Griff Whalen may be 'that' guy

indyspeed13

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he can be a really good receiver too. Yes the Welker/Edelman type. But the thing is this. We're going to be stacked at the WR position next year. Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Johnson, and then Whalen. Even if we cut AJ we still have 4 starting caliber receivers.

The kid would have been starting his first season if he had been drafted by Grigs instead of

an UDFA. Grigs has been trying to smother this kid out with HIS picks and free agents, but

the Griffer keeps showing he needs to be on the field with his excellent hands and route running.

Pride of the people making the decisions is why it has taken so long for Whalen to solidify a spot

on the roster.

Most overrated player in the history of the colts

Respectfully i disagree. (I hope u were kidding)

That wr from ohio state (name escapes me now) has that title.

I agree his is overrated but not by as much as some think.

Very, very similar to a welker, eddelman type. Theres alot of them around the league, but not many top QBs throwing to them.

Griff has the advantage of being able to finish Luck's sntences which is some of his success.

But time and time again, over several years now, Giff comes up BIG in 3rd down and late come from behind wins. He's a football plyer. He works harder to make up for less athletic attributes as some others. The guy can run routes and get separation. Good hands too.

The kid would have been starting his first season if he had been drafted by Grigs instead of

an UDFA. Grigs has been trying to smother this kid out with HIS picks and free agents, but

the Griffer keeps showing he needs to be on the field with his excellent hands and route running.

Pride of the people making the decisions is why it has taken so long for Whalen to solidify a spot

on the roster.

bro we get it, you don't like grigson.....

Very, very similar to a welker, eddelman type. Theres alot of them around the league, but not many top QBs throwing to them.

Griff has the advantage of being able to finish Luck's sntences which is some of his success.

But time and time again, over several years now, Giff comes up BIG in 3rd down and late come from behind wins. He's a football plyer. He works harder to make up for less athletic attributes as some others. The guy can run routes and get separation. Good hands too.

i wasn't kidding. guys like whalen are a dime a dozen

I think he can be a really good receiver too. Yes the Welker/Edelman type. But the thing is this. We're going to be stacked at the WR position next year. Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Johnson, and then Whalen. Even if we cut AJ we still have 4 starting caliber receivers.

Funny thing is we all were saying the same thing to start the year. Thought we had sick depth at the wr spot and we ended up sending a future HOF'er to the practice squad in Mr Carter. AJ has been on huge disappointment and for what he got paid, one of the biggest busts right next to Corey Simon and maybe just slightly better than the trade for Richardson.

I love the play from Whalen though and think he can be a big player for the team, not the star but a very key person.

i wasn't kidding. guys like whalen are a dime a dozen

I thought he was a dime a dozen too. But the kd makes plays when other receivers don't or can't.

I'm starting to think its just knowledge of Luck and really good route and separation. The dude gets open and makes 1st downs.

Has anyone looked at wr comparisons? Like # of plays, # thrown at, catch %, 3rd down targets and recrptions for 1st downs? I have a feeling his numbers are good. Anyone know where to find this info?

im telling you, if we get josh mcdaniels as our HC, he would make griff a 100 catch wr. 

And I keep telling everyone, "What are we waiting for!?" Do you have his number? I'm gonna call him up right now and we're going to talk over some pizza.

Maybe I'm underestimating Griff.....

Maybe he's a guy who works so hard he gets better and better.

But, I'm still going to be Missouri on Griff until he shows me.

He's got to be able to beat the other teams #1 or even #2 CB to be "that guy"....   a guy who can catch 100 passes in a season.

If he only has to be able to beat the other teams 3rd or 4th CB,  then I think he can be a solid guy.     A good solid underneath receiver who can move the chains.

But I just don't think he's going to be more than that.     And I think anyone who thinks he will is misreading what Griff has done.

He's look good in situations where the defense is dropping deep and letting the Colts take the underneath stuff and move the chains.    Defenses are giving Griff all sorts of room.     But, in the past,  when defenses have decided Griff has to be covered,  they've covered him like a blanket and he's done much less.

Maybe he's now capable of more.....    but, again,  I want to see it before I think it's true......

Color me skeptical.......    and remember,  I'm the Stanford guy.....    

He's got to be able to beat the other teams #1 or even #2 CB to be "that guy".... a guy who can catch 100 passes in a season.

If he only has to be able to beat the other teams 3rd or 4th CB, then I think he can be a solid guy. A good solid underneath receiver who can move the chains.

But I just don't think he's going to be more than that. And I think anyone who thinks he will is misreading what Griff has done.

He's look good in situations where the defense is dropping deep and letting the Colts take the underneath stuff and move the chains. Defenses are giving Griff all sorts of room. But, in the past, when defenses have decided Griff has to be covered, they've covered him like a blanket and he's done much less.

Maybe he's now capable of more..... but, again, I want to see it before I think it's true......

Color me skeptical....... and remember, I'm the Stanford guy.....

"I'm going to be Missouri on Griff"

...... You're gonna be discriminating? Not understanding the reference

:scratch:

"I'm going to be Missouri on Griff"

...... You're gonna be discriminating? Not understanding the reference

:scratch:

Missouri is known as the "show me" state.....    it's the state's unofficial nickname,  and appears on their license plates...   "the show me state"...

So, with Griff,  you have to show me before I believe it.

It's an old expression......    (and I'm an older-ish kinda guy... 58)

I think you are trying to forget former 1st rounder Anthony Gonzales.

I haven't always been on the Griff bandwagon. He will never be Reggie he's not a #1 as someone suggested.

He's no Edleman or Welker. He doesn't have the explosiveness as either of those guys particulary as a returner. He's cleared waivers how many times? The league doesn't sleep on that kind of talent.

It's hard to argue that he doesn't produce when surrounded by talent. The guy is tough and makes plays. He's a guy you cheer for and it doesn't hurt that Luck knows him well.

I think he's always going to be on fringe of the 53 man because ideally you want the guy at that spot on the depth chart to return kicks.

Missouri is known as the "show me" state..... it's the state's unofficial nickname, and appears on their license plates... "the show me state"...

So, with Griff, you have to show me before I believe it.

It's an old expression...... (and I'm an older-ish kinda guy... 58)

Oh, got it now.

Learned something new today. Just with everything going on in Missouri, might wanna just elaborate on that next time cause that's probably the last thing I would've thought of

I thought he was a dime a dozen too. But the kd makes plays when other receivers don't or can't.

I'm starting to think its just knowledge of Luck and really good route and separation. The dude gets open and makes 1st downs.

Has anyone looked at wr comparisons? Like # of plays, # thrown at, catch %, 3rd down targets and recrptions for 1st downs? I have a feeling his numbers are good. Anyone know where to find this info?

read the link

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=115107&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67858&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB

According to draft scout Edelman on ran his 40 .3 faster then Griff. Also while its true certainly Edelman can play on the outside at wr he gets most of his yards in the slot. Am I saying Griff is Edelman? LOL of course not but reliable receivers are not a dime a dozen

Missouri is known as the "show me" state..... it's the state's unofficial nickname, and appears on their license plates... "the show me state"...

So, with Griff, you have to show me before I believe it.

It's an old expression...... (and I'm an older-ish kinda guy... 58)

Whoa!

That missouri comment was over my head.

Griff doesnt have to beat the #1 or #2 receiver. TY, dorsett, moncrief will draw the #1 and 2 usually i would think. I didnt read article so not sure what "that guy" means.

I see Griff as being a clutch 3rd down receiver. We have far more talented receivers, but you can't discount they plays Griff makes and when he makes them. He's a #3 or 4 receiver that plays above himself in big moments.

He's got to be able to beat the other teams #1 or even #2 CB to be "that guy"....   a guy who can catch 100 passes in a season.

If he only has to be able to beat the other teams 3rd or 4th CB,  then I think he can be a solid guy.     A good solid underneath receiver who can move the chains.

But I just don't think he's going to be more than that.     And I think anyone who thinks he will is misreading what Griff has done.

He's look good in situations where the defense is dropping deep and letting the Colts take the underneath stuff and move the chains.    Defenses are giving Griff all sorts of room.     But, in the past,  when defenses have decided Griff has to be covered,  they've covered him like a blanket and he's done much less.

Maybe he's now capable of more.....    but, again,  I want to see it before I think it's true......

Color me skeptical.......    and remember,  I'm the Stanford guy.....    

I have never been 'overly' high on Griff Whalen, but there is one thing to be said from the old LB:

Anytime number 17 is on the field he runs exceptional routes and NEVER stops on the route like TY and Andre have been doing.  If it works...get him in there.  My guess is that Hasselback will go to Johnson a lot more than Andrew did.

If it hasn't happened by now, then it's never going to happen.  I think that for the past 3 years, people have been thinking Griff would be our Edelman/Welker type of guy and he just never has.  He's not nearly as good as either Welker or Edelman - granted Edelman took what, like 4 or 5 years before he exploded onto the scene.  You're better off putting your hope in Dorsett.

If it hasn't happened by now, then it's never going to happen. I think that for the past 3 years, people have been thinking Griff would be our Edelman/Welker type of guy and he just never has. He's not nearly as good as either Welker or Edelman - granted Edelman took what, like 4 or 5 years before he exploded onto the scene. You're better off putting your hope in Dorsett.

Because he's not been given the chance. When he does play, he plays well.

Because he's not been given the chance. When he does play, he plays well.

He's been alright, but I still wouldn't put him in over TY or Moncrief which means his playing time will always be limited.  Even then, when he does get in the game, he's still not been on the Welker/Edelman level that people seem to hope for.  I'm nto saying he's bad, I'm just saying that he's not shown me anything that would indicate he's a 1,000 yard, 8 TD guy.  He's a depth guy, and generally a reliable one even.