Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time for Pagano to earn a new contract

CS Coltsfan

this will be a good time for Coach to earn his new contract especially if Luck is out for 6 weeks.

if he does well and possibly wins majority of these games and only  2 out of the next 6 are in division it would help him tremendously IMO... with Chud at OC and how we were prepared and played 60 minutes last Sunday I feel good with Hasselbeck... 2 losses Sunday Luck and Anderson out it wont be easy, but this is where the Rubber Meets the Road. this could solidify him to stay as the coach and deserving of a equitable contract.

this will be a good time for Coach to earn his new contract especially if Luck is out for 6 weeks.

if he does well and possibly wins majority of these games and only 2 out of the next 6 are in division it would help him tremendously IMO... with Chud at OC and how we were prepared and played 60 minutes last Sunday I feel good with Hasselbeck... 2 losses Sunday Luck and Anderson out it wont be easy, but this is where the Rubber Meets the Road. this could solidify him to stay as the coach and deserving of a equitable contract.

Please no that fake punt did it for me he's stupid. We need a smart tough coach not a soft ignoramus.

if he does well and possibly wins majority of these games and only  2 out of the next 6 are in division it would help him tremendously IMO... with Chud at OC and how we were prepared and played 60 minutes last Sunday I feel good with Hasselbeck... 2 losses Sunday Luck and Anderson out it wont be easy, but this is where the Rubber Meets the Road. this could solidify him to stay as the coach and deserving of a equitable contract.

I doubt that, the only thing that will solidify him staying is a superbowl I think...  I dont think he necessarily has to win it, but he has to get us there to keep his job I think.....

This would more than likely require us to knock off the Patriots in Foxborough....

I think too many things are against chuck at this point. Even if he manages to win the division, and go deep in the playoffs I still think he gets fired. Anything less than a super bowl appearance is probably going to do him in. I may be wrong due to all the injuries maybe things have changed. But personally I think the upper management wants a change anyway. I think Chuck is a great guy and a solid coach.

I like Chudzinski as the OC regardless of who the head coach is. I'm not sure there is anyone out there that would be better than Chuck right now either. All depends on where the ax's fall I guess for some other teams. I think it's unfortunate that things have worked out with the offense the way they have, I firmly believe that if Chud had been running this offense from the start we're looking at more of a 6-3 or 7-2 record. But, that didnt happen and now I think heads are gonna roll at the end of the season.

The thing is that I think we have proven we can be a threat to even the best teams in the NFL having beaten Denver and put together a good showing vs NE despite the offensive play calling. However, with Luck being hurt as badly has he has/is and losing Henry Anderson it's a big blow to the chances of putting together a run at the best in the AFC. I think Chuck earned a contract his first 3 years but that didn't happen so here he sits on the chopping block.

I think too many things are against chuck at this point. Even if he manages to win the division, and go deep in the playoffs I still think he gets fired. Anything less than a super bowl appearance is probably going to do him in. I may be wrong due to all the injuries maybe things have changed. But personally I think the upper management wants a change anyway. I think Chuck is a great guy and a solid coach.

I like Chudzinski as the OC regardless of who the head coach is. I'm not sure there is anyone out there that would be better than Chuck right now either. All depends on where the ax's fall I guess for some other teams. I think it's unfortunate that things have worked out with the offense the way they have, I firmly believe that if Chud had been running this offense from the start we're looking at more of a 6-3 or 7-2 record. But, that didnt happen and now I think heads are gonna roll at the end of the season.

The thing is that I think we have proven we can be a threat to even the best teams in the NFL having beaten Denver and put together a good showing vs NE despite the offensive play calling. However, with Luck being hurt as badly has he has/is and losing Henry Anderson it's a big blow to the chances of putting together a run at the best in the AFC. I think Chuck earned a contract his first 3 years but that didn't happen so here he sits on the chopping block.

I will start by saying that I agree with this statement, but will follow it up with this question.

If the reports are true that Pep was Grigson's hire and was, more or less, forced upon Chuck, how is it that Chuck would/should be held accountable for Pep's shortcomings?

Got no problems with Chuck with a good OC.  I suppose we could do better than Manusky, but he's more than alright with some additional play makers added to the Defense next year. Got no problems with Grigson either as long as Irsay calls off the dogs with some of the meddling Irsay has allowed.  Team should be stacked defensively next year.  Just don't see good reason to blow everything up.  Stay the course Irsay, Stay the course!

I will start by saying that I agree with this statement, but will follow it up with this question.

If the reports are true that Pep was Grigson's hire and was, more or less, forced upon Chuck, how is it that Chuck would/should be held accountable for Pep's shortcomings?

Answer- he shouldn't but we all know that if he was a Grigson guy we all know that Grigson is not going to say oh, Pep was the problem all along so here  you go Chuck, here's a new contract. Grigson is going to say, Chuck, you are the man in charge you put together a sub par season you're out. Is it fair? No. Happens all the time though. Like I said in my post, I think that management wants a change regardless unless Chuck puts together a SB run which looks like about the same chances of me winning the power ball tonight...

Lets not forget the bonehead fake punt call that will live in infamy in Colts lore. There's plenty of reasons that Grigson could use to fire Chuck and I'm sure unless something spectacular happens in the next 2 months he'll find even more.

Got no problems with Chuck with a good OC.  I suppose we could do better than Manusky, but he's more than alright with some additional play makers added to the Defense next year. Got no problems with Grigson either as long as Irsay calls off the dogs with some of the meddling Irsay has allowed.  Team should be stacked defensively next year.  Just don't see good reason to blow everything up.  Stay the course Irsay, Stay the course!

Honestly, if we continue to show offensive improvement under Chud and pull together some wins I see no reason to not stay the course for now. I don't like blowing everything up either. Andrew has had 3 different offensive coordinators now. The next 2 months are going to be pivotal

Answer- he shouldn't but we all know that if he was a Grigson guy we all know that Grigson is not going to say oh, Pep was the problem all along so here  you go Chuck, here's a new contract. Grigson is going to say, Chuck, you are the man in charge you put together a sub par season you're out. Is it fair? No. Happens all the time though. Like I said in my post, I think that management wants a change regardless unless Chuck puts together a SB run which looks like about the same chances of me winning the power ball tonight...

Lets not forget the bonehead fake punt call that will live in infamy in Colts lore. There's plenty of reasons that Grigson could use to fire Chuck and I'm sure unless something spectacular happens in the next 2 months he'll find even more.

I will say that Chuck does leave some things to be desired.  That fake punt was a moment I'll never forget.  When the original "snapper" in Geathers got injured, that play should've never seen the light of day, and if they did use it, Griff should've been told to never snap that ball (I would think common sense should've told Whalen that, but well...you know it happened anyway, lol).  The Patriots are too disciplined a team to fall for such garbage.  

The list can go on with the reasons to fire Chuck, I just don't see how anybody can justify Pep's ineptitude as one of them.  (I'm not trying to say that's what you're implying either).

Why in the world would you want pagano to be around for several more years?

Under the circumstances, don't see what Chuck could possibly do to get a new contract. Chud and Luck taking off together was probably his last hope.

If one accepts that Chud & Luck taking off together was a legitimate last hope, then clearly Chud & Hasselback taking off together and then continuing that success forward upon Luck's return would seem to also be a path for Pagano to get an extension.

My hope is that the Colts carry the momentum from the victory over the Broncos forward with success having Hasselback under centre and then continue that success when Luck returns. Ergo, win the division and then get on a roll in the playoffs leading to a Super Bowl victory. Then Pagano (& Grigson) get their contract extensions, the team has organizational bliss, nail their upcoming draft choices, avoid injuries, and parlay this year's Super Bowl victory into multiple Super Bowls in the years to come! Such should be the hopes of ALL Colts fans ... success now AND moving forward.

I really just don't know anymore. Honestly I don't want the Colts to become like the Browns with a new head coach every year, good teams don't have that problem. So if we let Chuck go, then the front office needs to be COMPLETELY sure about the next guy in charge, and make sure that they stay for the long haul. 

The teams that have struggled the most in the past two decades have a lot in common...

Careful what you wish for folks. I've been down this road before with my Cincinnati Reds, and it's not pretty. EVERYONE wanted Dusty Baker fired a couple years back (very similar circumstances as Pagano's), and at the end of the season, they got what they wanted. But, much like the NFL, there wasn't exactly a plethora of quality coaches out there to choose from, so the Reds promoted from within, and they haven't been to the playoffs since then.

I honestly don't understand how people can suggest that firing Chuck would be a good thing. We'd be back to square one, running a new system, more than likely with an ex-coordinator getting his feet wet with his first HC job, which comes with A LOT of uncertainty. With Pagano, we know what we're getting; a pretty solid coach that's also a standup dude who the players love. Firing a coach because he hasn't won a Super Bowl after 4 years is what joke franchises do, and I'd like to avoid being in that conversation.

I understand what you were going for, but don't believe the firing of Baker had much to do with the Reds struggles over the past year and a half. Many, many other reasons for it.

Chuck being the Jin Mora of the Luck era is probably the better analogy to draw.

Chuck may not want another contract with the Colts.  If Grigson and Irsay are meddling and micromanaging, how can Chuck ever be successful and happy here? 

Chuck could be using the season to audition for other opportunities, which I think he will have several for next year.  I would be happy if he stayed but that seems very unlikely.  If Grigson is fired then the new GM would want to pick the coach and Chuck would be out soon anyway.