Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Season is... Not Over

SilentHill

I know there is a lot of talk about a "wasted" season and 1 and done in the playoffs (if we make it), but there have been a lot of teams playing on wildcard weekend that have made the Superbowl (Including the 2006 Colts).

Sure I'm with everyone else, in the fact that I have NO faith in this team this season as they have done nothing to show me they can win against a decent football team, but all it takes is a spark to light a fire, and if this offense (which has a LOT of talent) gets hot down the stretch we will roll into the playoffs with a vengeance.There is no guarantee this will actually happen, in fact it's more likely to go the other direction, but it's still possible.

I'm not saying to stop complaining or stop calling for changes or coaches to be fired, or whatever you think might fix the team, but just keep it in the back of your head that there is still hope to win it all this season.

There is still nine games to go indeed.  If the Colts sweep the next three division games, they are likely going to win the division ... probably with an 8-8 or 9-7 record... unless of course this ship gets righted and they start playing as the team we were expecting them to be.  If that happens, it's possible they could repeat at 11-5, or even go 12-4.

They are currently a very flawed team, however.  As they have been playing, I would not expect them to sweep the remaining division games.  I think they have the talent on the roster to right this ship, though.  

I still think they ought to get a new OC, as I have zero faith in Pep putting together full games of effective play calling followed up by multiple complete games of effective play calling.  I advocate his being replaced as a measure to right this ship.

I think it was a terminal mistake to let Pagano coach this year on the final year of his contract.  I believe he should have been extended or let go.  Status quo of playing out his contract leads to nothing but speculation of disharmony, especially in the face of under performance.  I give you the current Colts as evidence of this.

Everything being said, though, if the ship gets righted and the team makes the playoffs, anything is possible.  When the Colts had great regular seasons under Manning, they often disappointed in the playoffs.  The one year the team won absolutely ugly,though (2006), they went on a playoff tear and won the Super Bowl.

So, yes, the season is not yet over.  A lot can still change.  My fingers are crossed, but my expectations are greatly tempered.  The next few games, obviously, will set the stage for how this team does in the second half of the season.  We're going to find out if the current coaches can coach and if the current players can play.  Can't wait to see it all play out!

but just keep it in the back of your head that there is still hope to win it all this season.

The problem is this is not an underacheiving team. This is a bad team, with even worse coaching. There is only one reason why every thread on this forum isn't about our next GM, coach or the draft - the AFC South. Now, if they get a home playoff game and some favorable matchups in the playoffs, could they win a game or two? Anything is possible. A Super Bowl? Let's get a grip. At 3-4, Seattle still has hope of winning a Super Bowl. At 3-4, we have no prayer.

I know there is a lot of talk about a "wasted" season and 1 and done in the playoffs (if we make it), but there have been a lot of teams playing on wildcard weekend that have made the Superbowl (Including the 2006 Colts).

Sure I'm with everyone else, in the fact that I have NO faith in this team this season as they have done nothing to show me they can win against a decent football team, but all it takes is a spark to light a fire, and if this offense (which has a LOT of talent) gets hot down the stretch we will roll into the playoffs with a vengeance.There is no guarantee this will actually happen, in fact it's more likely to go the other direction, but it's still possible.

I'm not saying to stop complaining or stop calling for changes or coaches to be fired, or whatever you think might fix the team, but just keep it in the back of your head that there is still hope to win it all this season.

Get real

The problem is this is not an underacheiving team. This is a bad team, with even worse coaching. There is only one reason why every thread on this forum isn't about our next GM, coach or the draft - the AFC South. Now, if they get a home playoff game and some favorable matchups in the playoffs, could they win a game or two? Anything is possible. A Super Bowl? Let's get a grip. At 3-4, Seattle still has hope of winning a Super Bowl. At 3-4, we have no prayer.

Seattle has to make it to the playoffs first. Really we've got a better shot than them on the basis of being in the weakest division in the league. 

Only problem with that is we would prolly keep the coaches and Grigson if that were to happen and that is a very bad thing. A failed season almost guarantees they are all canned. That's what needs to happen.

Devil's Advocate here....    IF we were to win it all, then maybe, just maybe they did what needed to be done for it to happen and earned the right to keep their jobs.  :dunno:

I wouldn't want to go into battle with many members of this forum.....you are one I would SilentHill :thmup:  And yes, there is still hope despite the microwave media pundits and their disciples rants and whining and throwing in the towel with over a half a season left to play.

Yep, a little adversity and the whole fanbase wants to throw in the towel, fire the GM, coaches, and coordinators, yet get awfully offended when other fanbases call our fans soft. It's odd because so many people spend so much time on this forum, yet somehow forget that it's not how well this team plays at the beginning of the season, but how they finish out that will ultimately be important. I'd much prefer that we peak in December and January than September and October.

I gotta say very interesting post Silent Hill.  I have frequented many sports boards and usually when people post stuff like this they say "stop complaining there's still a chance", where you said we can still complain, but remember there is still a chance.  The Giants from 08 definitely come to mind, it has happened before and I was actually thinking about the other day.  I am certainly not counting on it or expecting it, but it could happen.  

Yeah, but...since 2003, every SB champ started 6-3 or better and despite suffering bumps and bruises later, ended up as SB champs. You can check it out. Those SB champs were winning in a particular way, had injuries or ran into desperate teams in December (happens all the time), and then based on the equity of their early season winning, rode it to their SB.

We don't have that equity of early winning like those teams had, and neither have we shown anything positive vs any respectable team. If we win both the Panthers and Broncos games, it would definitely show we have what it takes. But if we lose both, we just have to roll the dice with our weak division.

Yeah, but...since 2003, every SB champ started 6-3 or better and despite suffering bumps and bruises later, ended up as SB champs. You can check it out. Those SB champs were winning in a particular way, had injuries or ran into desperate teams in December (happens all the time), and then based on the equity of their early season winning, rode it to their SB.

We don't have that equity of early winning like those teams had, and neither have we shown anything positive vs any respectable team. If we win both the Panthers and Broncos games, it would definitely show we have what it takes. But if we lose both, we just have to roll the dice with our weak division.

We're doing it in reverse order ;)

Sure, anything can happen.  2006 is a fine example of that when just a few weeks before the playoffs was the infamous "375" game vs. the Jags.  However, there are a lot more examples that it doesn't work out than it does.  I will still watch, I will still hope they figure it out, but nothing I've seen so far tells me they are turning a corner.  They could start with a win Monday night.  But I still look down the road and see a potential nightmare revisited in Foxboro.  And if you feel "things will be different this time" then I don't know what to tell you.

Monday will be real telling. If we win that then we are 4-4 and would've just beaten a Very Good team on the road. If we get blown out then I guess it's back to getting blasted by the media.

Yeah of they get blown out, then lose to Denver I have a feeling changes will be made during the bye. I don't know crap though so we'll see.

With regards to the thread, I do think the Colts will win the division. I don't think the Titans or Texans will win more than 5-6 games. Jags may get hot and challenge the Colts, we'll see. In the playoffs anything can happen.

Theoretically, it would be hilarious to win 6-7 games make the playoffs, and beat a 10+ win wild card team @ LOS. That would be more interesting than NOT making the playoffs or losing in the WC round.

In the end hopefully things get hot and they can start winning some games against quality opponents. This is easier said than done.

I think there is still hope to turn things around. IDK if I would go as far as saying "win it all". I honestly didn't think we were on par with the Green Bay's and New England's yet anyhow, especially on defense. If the offense can start faster, not get in a hole, commit to the run and short passing game then we can turn things around. After that, anything can happen.

I liked your Post but I think the main reason why we didn't get a BYE was Bob Sanders was out. We probably would've went 14-2 that season had he played every game but maybe it was for the better that he didn't because he was healthy for the Playoffs.

Only problem with that is we would prolly keep the coaches and Grigson if that were to happen and that is a very bad thing. A failed season almost guarantees they are all canned. That's what needs to happen.

So you're saying you'd rather they lose and get the coaches fired, than win the SB and keep them? WOW!

He is too silly to see that

lol yeah we're more then likely gonna make the playoffs cause the division sucks * but if we squeak in and get lucky we should still keep the staff that is the reason we have the day 7-9 or or 6-10 record that's just stupid you all need to open your damn eyes and see this coaching staff sucks

I know a lot of people here are ok with mediocrity but a lot of us are not