Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic options, Rumors for HC

BProland85

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of that one Super Bowl and an NFC championship in 2006 what have Sean Peytons Saints teams done in the playoffs outside of fold in the first 2 rounds?  Good coach but is he really bringing that much more to the table?  Let's take a serious look at this because he's had a franchise quarterback since 2006 so up to this point that is 9 years, more like 8 because he was suspended for  the 2012 season.  It's just kind of odd to me that people want to throw Pagano out so bad when he's already won 3 playoff games in 3 years.  Not just 3 playoff games, but a step further every year and I know we'll be there this year.  He must be burned at the steak because it's really Luck that did all of that for him.....  At least that's what some of you guys like to say!

The Saints upon hiring Payton went to the NFC championship in 2006 and didn't even sniff the playoffs again until 2009 which was the Super Bowl.  The records in between those points were 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008.  I can't even imagine what Colts fans would be saying with a 7-9 and 8-8 season missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.  If Pagano did that there would be Colt Fans who would find out where he lived in Indy and burn his house down I think!  Since that Super Bowl victory Payton hasn't done much more than Pagano has done as far as the success of the team.  I'd say he's done less and don't forget about what the Saints record was last year in the WORST division in football.  A division full of garbage teams and yet the Saints could only muster a 7-9 record?   And just to back track a little bit I wonder why nobody has taken all of Paytons credit away and given it to Brees like they do Pagano with Luck?

Oh yeah!  People talk about Pagano and Manusky, but Payton and the Saints were dumb enough to hire Rob Ryan who does nothing but field mediocre defenses every year.  That mediocre defense that Gore will be running over on Sunday!

I'll put this point out here again. Payton is already coaching a franchise quarterback so those of you thinking he's going to come over here and sprinkle pixie dust on Andrew should take this into consideration.  I think Payton is a good offensive coach in terms of the passing game,  I don't like that his teams don't usually run the football that much.  Not sure we'd be getting that much better than Pagano in terms of head coaching success.  What I'm really doing with this post is challenging this grass is greener mentality that people are passing around the forum.  I don't hate Payton but are people really analyzing this stuff?  He might even do something with Andrew but will the overall team be better?  I'm not so sure about that. Out of an 8 year coaching tenure under Payton the Saints have been to different levels of the playoffs 5 times.  Pagano is working on his 4th consecutive playoff year in 4 years.  You have got to give me a better excuse than "Oh it's because of Luck"

Bunk. It is because of the jags, titans and texans PERIOD!

Luck sucks at the short game that the Saints excel at.

And if he doesn`t Get Good at it, he ain`t ever gonna win a SB.

There is little chance we get Payton but someone needs to Fix our QB.

Sounds like he deserves consideration for Colts OC. But head coach? That's still not clear to me.

I have no idea if he would succeed or not, but I wouldn't write him off simply because he failed as a 30-something first time HC.

I've not read through this entire thread, but has Josh McDaniels been mentioned as a possibility?

He's proven to be very successful as an OC and he already had a go at HC.  His first round at HC was a failure, but often times it takes such a failure to round out into an excellent HC the second time around.  Would Daniels be a viable option, looking after the offensive play calling as well, but leaving personnel acquisition to the GM and scouts?

Edit:  I see he was mentioned just a bit earlier.  Sorry.

I've had that same feeling for a couple of weeks now.  I'm not overly thrilled about the idea, but yeah, I just have this feeling that Gruden will be the next Colts head coach.

Gruden said that the Colts have too many good players to be playing the way they are. He's about the only one in the media who has said that. It sounds like he would be on the same page as Grigson.

I'm gonna throw a (very scary) name into the ring that is going to start getting some traction after last night:

Wade Phillips.

He's got that defense playing at an incredible level, and there are going to be some teams considering him before all is said and done.

I think Wade is one of those guys that will always be a better coordinator than he ever will be as a head coach. He has had 3 shots at being a head coach already.

I think Wade is one of those guys that will always be a better coordinator than he ever will be as a head coach. He has had 3 shots at being a head coach already.

Absolutely. That's why I said it was a very scary prospect. I would be opposed entirely, but there is no way he doesn't draw interest somewhere with whatr he's done out there thus far this year. 

How about Adam Gase....he seems to have done a good job in Chicago. Cutler has better numbers than Luck.

Gase has been a hot prospect for the last couple years, and he's done enough interviews to land a job. The fact that no one has hired him as a HC is very curious to me. Make me wonder if teams are seeing and hearing things from him in the interview process to turn them off. 

I for one do not think Pagano has been the problem. I believe the problem lies in bad decisions made by the GM and an OC that can't develop a game plan at the pro level. If there were to be a head coaching change made I would first have to look to Josh McDaniels. It's obvious that Irsay wants an offensive minded team. Your best player is Luck so why not bring a guy in to mold him and make him better. Other than OL, I believe the Colts have a lot of the same pieces the Pats have and McDaniels could really help. Also, I think he would have learned from the mistakes he made in Denver, as there head coach, only making him a better HC this time!

We have to get a better OC first and foremost. His play calling is horrendous. Through 7 games we still don't have identity on what we want to accomplish. he can't exploit a pass rush, he never utilizes the RB in the passing game, and our route tree with WR's leaves a lot to be desired. Would be nice to see some rub routes, crossing routes, guys in motion to get favorable match ups, and where is our slot, possession WR???

Head coach takes the blame but there are other issues here that have caused this funk. Not addressing our offensive line was a grievous mistake and waisting our 1st round draft pick for a guy that never see's the field was a huge error by GM. 1st round picks have got to be impact guys and this guy isn't!!!!   

Absolutely. That's why I said it was a very scary prospect. I would be opposed entirely, but there is no way he doesn't draw interest somewhere with whatr he's done out there thus far this year. 

Gotcha. I agree with you that he'll probably draw interest again, but I just hope the Colts aren't going to be the next team that goes for that 'fool's gold' - should the Colts actually be looking for another head coach in the near future.

Gase has been a hot prospect for the last couple years, and he's done enough interviews to land a job. The fact that no one has hired him as a HC is very curious to me. Make me wonder if teams are seeing and hearing things from him in the interview process to turn them off. 

Gase has to do something without Peyton Manning before he'll get hired.

I have not gone through 187 posts to see all the names tossed out....   so I don't know if the name I'm going to mention has already been mentioned by someone else....?

But, I'd at least like to talk to Green Bay OC Tom Clement.     He's been a long-time successful OC and QB coach....   he's now calling the plays for GB.   McCarthy gave up the play calling to Clement.     And for the most part,  the Packers seem to be doing well.    (Last night not withstanding)

I don't know his personality.    I don't know if he's a career assistant type or if he wants to be a HC and lead a team?  

But I'd at least like to talk to him and find out.       The only other issue for him is that he's on the older side...   I think he's 62.

I'd prefer someone in their 40's or 50's,  but I'd make an exception for the right man.

I'd also want to talk to Bears OC,  Adam Gase.     Another bright young offensive mind.

I'm coming around to keeping it mostly in house.

Keep Pags

Fire Pep and have Chud replace him.

Fire Manusky and have a replacement brought in.

Fire Grigson and have a replacement brought in.

Agreed 100%.   Chud is a good OC.  The player love Pagano.  The question would be:  who will be the DC?  (I was hoping for Wade Phillips at the end of last season) and the GM?  The only problem is that the new GM would want to bring in his own people.

I have not gone through 187 posts to see all the names tossed out....   so I don't know if the name I'm going to mention has already been mentioned by someone else....?

But, I'd at least like to talk to Green Bay OC Tom Clement.     He's been a long-time successful OC and QB coach....   he's now calling the plays for GB.   McCarthy gave up the play calling to Clement.     And for the most part,  the Packers seem to be doing well.    (Last night not withstanding)

I don't know his personality.    I don't know if he's a career assistant type or if he wants to be a HC and lead a team?  

But I'd at least like to talk to him and find out.       The only other issue for him is that he's on the older side...   I think he's 62.

I'd prefer someone in their 40's or 50's,  but I'd make an exception for the right man.

I'd also want to talk to Bears OC,  Adam Gase.     Another bright young offensive mind.

Gavin mentioned him a while back. Clement is an impressive guy, but the Packers offense hasn't really been hitting on all cylinders since he took over the play calling. Maybe there are other factors...I dunno.

He's too young.

I'm gonna throw a (very scary) name into the ring that is going to start getting some traction after last night:

Wade Phillips.

He's got that defense playing at an incredible level, and there are going to be some teams considering him before all is said and done.

Gaining traction with who? Bum Jr has a 0% of landing the Colts job.

Gavin mentioned him a while back. Clement is an impressive guy, but the Packers offense hasn't really been hitting on all cylinders since he took over the play calling. Maybe there are other factors...I dunno.

Off the top of my head,   they're without their #1 WR, Jordy Nelson for the season,  I think another WR is hurt....   Eddie Lacy looks like he's trying to eat his way out of the league and I think the OL may have some issues......

I thought I had read that they're doing well this season,  but I don't follow everyone else the way I try to follow the Colts...    

So, I easily could be wrong....             :dunno:

Bunk. It is because of the jags, titans and texans PERIOD!

Luck sucks at the short game that the Saints excel at.

And if he doesn`t Get Good at it, he ain`t ever gonna win a SB.

There is little chance we get Payton but someone needs to Fix our QB.

A VERY valid observation...Luck has awful timing on the short passes and can't toss a properly timed screen pass to save his life.

He seems to be totally uninterested in developing this part of his game...just hold the ball forever and wing it long.

He is NOT a complete QB by any means.