Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The haters are in full force today

IcyRhythms

I took issue with three things:

1. The fake punt

2. The holding on the oline

3. Abandoning what worked in the first half on offense and reverting back to what they were doing in the first three games on the second half.

While I am not calling for anyone to be fired over one game I do say moral victories over the Pats are not good enough anymore. If they couldn't beat the Pats last night I am not sure if this staff ever will.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Expert" after "expert" said that Tammy and the Pathetics were going to run up the score because they were seeking revenge...revenge???? They had already beaten the Colts by 20 pts 4 times in a row. The revenge theory was based on the fact that they got caught cheating for a second time.

The Pats didn't even need to exact their "revenge" on us as we did it for them. The Pats were in the media for cheating for 9 months or so with the scandal. They now know that this Colts fake punt play will go down as one of the dumbest plays in NFL history, and it will be talked about for the foreseeable future like the butt fumble. With that one play in the game we looked terrible to all the media, and fans around the league. Most fans and media won't remember that is was a relatively close game and that we played very well in most areas. They are going to just remember that one terrible fake punt which is understandable.

1. The fake punt

3. Abandoning what worked in the first half on offense and reverting back to what they were doing in the first three games on the second half.

While I am not calling for anyone to be fired over one game I do say moral victories over the Pats are not good enough anymore. If they couldn't beat the Pats last night I am not sure if this staff ever will.

Luck quit taking what the D gave him and just had to look for deeper throws. And the high throws just came coming. He is one SLOW LEARNER!

Pagano deserves all the blame for allowing the play to be in the play book, then calling it, then not recognizing it's an illegal formation and finally not using a timeout to limit the self inflicted damage. Colt Anderson repeatedly told Whalen not to snap the ball and he did anyway because Whalen was counting the seconds down on the play clock instead of counting the guys in front of him and knowing the situation that he could just hold tight and accept a 5 yard delay of game penalty.

Blount was easily stopped minus on one carry, the reception should have came back as Langford was held and the call was missed.

Look, it's easy to slam Chuck today, but good teams know how to weather the storm & regroup. He took full responsibility for it. What more do you want? It would be foolish to point fingers now. 

I'm more upset when some nice Gore runs got called back actually. I was ticked off when we tried to be cute with that play just like everybody else was in INDY, but after I watched the game again, the Colts stayed with NE for nearly 3 & a half quarters & Whalen redeemed himself with that final TD. Let's remember what we did well & build on that. We can't let 1 loss crush us or demand Chuck's dismissal yet. There's a ton of football to be played yet & I wanna see how INDY handles this defeat. Do we curl up & die or do we stand by each other, support one another, & keep fighting? Successful football is all about composure, selective amnesia, & keep moving along. Don't let this Patriots loss define our season. We're not done yet. 

Remember when the NY Giants lost to NE in the regular season & then won the SB in 2007? This is the 1st game where the Patriots didn't pulverize us by 40 points. Yes, we still lost & Bill & Tom won, but nobody in Foxboro is showboating over a 7 point victory. Trust me. Perhaps, INDY is learning how to close the gap. It takes time & with each loss we are getting better. 

1. The fake punt

I need Pags to finish the year before I can effectively determine that GC8818. Here's where leadership & player motivation comes into play. Has Chuck lost the locker room? Yes or no? It's too early to tell that yet. 

Most of those holding calls were absolutely bogus and, coincidentally, seemed to always come on pivotal plays (90% of the holding calls were called by the head ref, he was awful). And the Patriots never once held. Not once.

From what i saw the holding calls were not bogus against us . The colts did hold in this game and sometimes I think they go all to one team and I find it hard not to believe that NE didn't hold a few times. but you hve to play the hand you are dealt and live with the calls and overcome them. this year it seems the Colts have gotten undisciplined and have gotten more penalties called on them this year so far than last.  It is going to come down to the coaching staff to right the ship on the penalties.

From what i saw the holding calls were not bogus against us . The colts did hold in this game and sometimes I think they go all to one team and I find it hard not to believe that NE didn't hold a few times. but you hve to play the hand you are dealt and live with the calls and overcome them. this year it seems the Colts have gotten undisciplined and have gotten more penalties called on them this year so far than last.  It is going to come down to the coaching staff to right the ship on the penalties.

the main issue I have is the lack of consistency when playing NE it seems

when the Colts hold, etc and it's obvious, it's usually called...even when it's not obvious, it's called.

But NE is hardly ever called for those penalties, even when it's obvious (Langford take down)

Yep, I'm not going to say the Colts never hold(they do), but to play an entire football game and have 5 holding penalties and the opponent ZERO(who last night had 3 rookies starting I believe a very unsettled line) that can only be described as a COMPLETE JOKE. How many yards of offense have we had nullified this year so far? Is it possible this is the nfl's way of retalliating against the Colts for turning in the cheaters? I am glad Jim Irsay Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano stood up for fair play and exposed the cheaters.

I think that punt call took away any good feelings from what was a competitive game and could have been even more close without that call.

Yeah I could only imagine how stupid Patriots fans though the organization was as a whole for doing that.  I would've been laughing my socks off if I was a Patriots fan.  Very bad game management on behalf of the players and coaching staff. 

The play call was good. The refs call was wrong/terrible. The refs blowing the call does not make it a bad play call.

Red called dead ball before ball was dead. Yet when a player is clearly stopped on forward progress, we will let it play out another 5-7 seconds then blow the play dead. You can see favoritism all over the place in this league whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The league is becoming a joke like the NBA right before our very eyes.

The opening drive was what we expected from the team from game one.

The first half was pretty solid except we tended to get away from the running game at times. We need to feed Gore at least 20 to 25 balls a game.

In the second half we completely bailed on the running game and that led to a lot of second and third and longs.

The ridiculous fake punt notion was a turning point in the game and it turned out to be possibly the difference. Luck acted like he was in panic mode in the second half. He had at least six bad passes to open receivers. This is where his maturity needs to take a step forward and settle down. Having better protection in front of him will help but a lot of the problems were having is because Andrew tended to panic when down

Guess I'm in the minority of "I'd rather look good, see some improvements, and lose a few games" than "I'd rather win a few and look terrible/lucky doing it"

This team isn't built for undefeated seasons. We don't have the player talent or coaching. We're going to lose some games.

Yup. There can be improvements even in losses. The offense is clearly much improved from the first few weeks. Even though Pep still doesn't know what a run game is, but as a unit its 10xs better than it was in the first 2 games.

Luck quit taking what the D gave him and just had to look for deeper throws. And the high throws just came coming. He is one SLOW LEARNER!

They were designing lays to go further down the field. The Pats dropped 6-7 into coverage and pressured Luck with 3 and 4 man rushes. Didn't you see that most of the time he had no one open downfield and the pocket was collapsing ? He no doubt missed some throws in the 2nd half but it's not like you have it. Even Pagano said he instructed Pep to call plays that were down the field. 

Yeah I could only imagine how stupid Patriots fans though the organization was as a whole for doing that.  I would've been laughing my socks off if I was a Patriots fan.  Very bad game management on behalf of the players and coaching staff. 

There was a discussion on our radio stations yesterday about whether Pats fans were disappointed that the Pats did not blow the Colts out. Many called and said they were more satisfied with the game being turned on that play because the play will live on in infamy just like the Sanchez butt fumble. :)

To be honest though, I am just glad the Pats got the win. I am also glad they were tested in the game as that will only help going forward. Big game this week vs Jets for first place in the division. We need to be much more sharp to win that game than we were vs Indy, especially defensively.

There was a discussion on our radio stations yesterday about whether Pats fans were disappointed that the Pats did not blow the Colts out. Many called and said they were more satisfied with the game being turned on that play because the play will live on in infamy just like the Sanchez butt fumble. :)

To be honest though, I am just glad the Pats got the win. I am also glad they were tested in the game as that will only help going forward. Big game this week vs Jets for first place in the division. We need to be much more sharp to win that game than we were vs Indy, especially defensively.

Yeah Andrew played a solid game. We even picked 6 Brady. Did a lot of good things. Finally a game where it was 7 or less but still you guys are better.

Yeah Andrew played a solid game. We even picked 6 Brady. Did a lot of good things. Finally a game where it was 7 or less but still you guys are better.

Yes, Colts plan was great. Be aggressive, go for fourth and short. Get TDs not FGs. Steal possessions either through onside kick and/or turnovers. There are Jets fans that believe if they run they will beat the Pats. They won't. You have to score to beat the Pats and score a lot. And play smart, clean football.

Yes, Colts plan was great. Be aggressive, go for fourth and short. Get TDs not FGs. Steal possessions either through onside kick and/or turnovers. There are Jets fans that believe if they run they will beat the Pats. They won't. You have to score to beat the Pats and score a lot. And play smart, clean football.

I think you guys will win against the Jets. The Broncos and Giants IMO will be your toughest games. You already won at Buffalo, beat Pitt, and just beat us so you got those out of the way. Jets are good but don't have the Offense to hang with Brady. I brought up the Giants only because Eli plays against you guys like his life is on the line.

I think you guys will win against the Jets. The Broncos and Giants IMO will be your toughest games. You already won at Buffalo, beat Pitt, and just beat us so you got those out of the way. Jets are good but don't have the Offense to hang with Brady. I brought up the Giants only because Eli plays against you guys like his life is on the line.

Yeah, I agree. Although Jets always play us tough so I am expecting a close game. Glad it is in Foxboro.

Not sure what happened to the Giants last night but it was an awful game and they gave up first place to the Eagles. They could go either way this season IMO - win a bunch of games and take the division or bottom out and miss the post-season. But you are right, Eli plays us tough so it will be a tough game.

Yeah, I agree. Although Jets always play us tough so I am expecting a close game. Glad it is in Foxboro.

Not sure what happened to the Giants last night but it was an awful game and they gave up first place to the Eagles. They could go either way this season IMO - win a bunch of games and take the division or bottom out and miss the post-season. But you are right, Eli plays us tough so it will be a tough game.

Yeah with it being in Foxboro I have Pats winning 30-20. That will be a 10 point win. I really want to see what you guys do in Denver. That should be an awesome game. I think they play you similar to what the Colts did except their Defense is better but as of now Andrew is better than Peyton. Peyton needs to get it going for the stretch run. I picked Denver to win the SB before the season started and so far they are 6-0.

Yeah with it being in Foxboro I have Pats winning 30-20. That will be a 10 point win. I really want to see what you guys do in Denver. That should be an awesome game. I think they play you similar to what the Colts did except their Defense is better but as of now Andrew is better than Peyton. Peyton needs to get it going for the stretch run. I picked Denver to win the SB before the season started and so far they are 6-0.

The game to watch in terms of Denver is the next one vs GB. I have to think Kubes does something to change up the offense but I am not sure what. If it stays the same then I think it will be an ugly game. We will also find out just how good the D really is vs Rodgers. It is probably the game of the season so far IMO.

The game to watch in terms of Denver is the next one vs GB. I have to think Kubes does something to change up the offense but I am not sure what. If it stays the same then I think it will be an ugly game. We will also find out just how good the D really is vs Rodgers. It is probably the game of the season so far IMO.

I think eventually he will just give the keys to Peyton. Peyton isn't doing much as far as changing plays. I think that changes shortly.

On the surface, with the final score being 34-27, our loss to NE can't be classified as a lopsided massacre with only a 7 point difference. I realize we were probably trying to make NE move early & get a defensive encroachment call & a 1st down in the 2nd half. But, why did we snap the ball when the Pats didn't jump? Look, I know Pagano took the blame here, but it wasn't his fault. The guys on the field have to know when to not snap the ball. I can't yell at a coach for player stupidity or a lapse in concentration either.

Normally, I'd call for Chuck's head, but no, not from last night. I wanna see how he mobilizes the team after this devastating loss moving forward. That will determine whether we keep Chuck or not, his ability to make the Colts forget this game, compete, & not duplicate a similar blunder again. Pat was punting tremendous all night long. Why even try trickery? It infuriates me when teams try & get cute or too clever for their own good. Grrr!

Sometimes, the worst thing an owner can do is make decisions out of anger & dismiss their HC ASAP. Just relax, step away from your frustration for awhile, & look at the big picture. Judge Pagano on the whole season not 1 game against our arch rival. I thought our line was good, our defense played great, & that Adams pick on Brady was a thing of beauty actually.

Now, as far as the Pats are concerned, Brady scrabbled well a la Aaron Rogers like on the move, Jamie Collins athletic leap blocking Adam V.'s field goal was very impressive, & Blount is a wrecking ball who cannot be stopped. Congratulations on your victory NE as much as it kills me to say that. INDY needs to lean how to close out games. We just struggle too much in this area. Failing to slam the door shut on our adversaries.

Good post SW1! I totally hated the fake punt and the timing of it. And why on Gods green earth are you using a WR as a center/long snapper? The moment was too big for him.

I'm just happy that this is only week 6 and there are still 10 games left. Now that Patriots week is over we can get on with the rest of the season....which there is PLENTY of football left to work out more of the kinks.

But what this game showed is that the team has made big strides since last year. The difference this year was that the Pats made a  couple more plays than the Colts did...though it would have been nice for them to be called for some of the holding they did.

There are still weaknesses..like ILB play in coverage and over pursuing in the run game at times. But the D line is a massive increase over last year and teams aren't running all over them. Also the secondary is gelling and just need to stay healthy, save for Toler's miserable first half, he stepped it up in the second half.

The biggest weakness right now is the O abandoning the game plan too quickly...now it could be Pep and it could be Luck too...that needs to be fixed more than anything. As much as they'd hate to admit it, but this O is more set up to be a short pass West Coast style passing game, not a Bruce Arians down field passing game (though they have the ability from time to time to do it), just not all game long. They have a rushing game, use it more than just 20 times a game. The pieces are almost there, they just need to be utilized better, especially on O.

I never considered the Patriots would lose this game. But, I like many, got carried away in the hype and wanted a 50 point game. Thanks to the early Pick-6 and a couple dumb penalties on Patriots, and some drops, that didn't happen. The Colts played much better than I thought they would, but that fake punt... at that point in the game, at that point on the field, down by so few points, with so much time left, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT! Pin Patriots deep and make Brady go 90 yards to score, not set him up on your side of the field.

Probably the best thing the Colts did was be physical with Gronk. Gronk is a game changer, so you guys probably kept at least 14 points off the board by hitting on Gronk. I wasn't impressed with the Colts offense. Luck got Lucky with no picks, although there could have been at least 2. That last TD he threw he put much arm in that, so I don't think his shoulder is an issue. His overthrowing people and missing shots is just him as a QB. He needs to work on that.

Having said all that, I'd never apologize for a win, even if only by 1 point.

Pagano deserves all the blame for allowing the play to be in the play book, then calling it, then not recognizing it's an illegal formation and finally not using a timeout to limit the self inflicted damage. Colt Anderson repeatedly told Whalen not to snap the ball and he did anyway because Whalen was counting the seconds down on the play clock instead of counting the guys in front of him and knowing the situation that he could just hold tight and accept a 5 yard delay of game penalty.

Blount was easily stopped minus on one carry, the reception should have came back as Langford was held and the call was missed.

No, no Pagano doesn't deserve blame for that. That's all on Whalen for snapping the ball. In NO circumstance should that ball have been snapped. If it isn't snapped the players can line up any way they want and there is no penalty. Whalen deserves pretty much all of the blame for that.

No, no Pagano doesn't deserve blame for that. That's all on Whalen for snapping the ball. In NO circumstance should that ball have been snapped. If it isn't snapped the players can line up any way they want and there is no penalty. Whalen deserves pretty much all of the blame for that.

this is true....but wasn't it said that someone was simulating the snap counts? if so, isn't that illegal?

this is true....but wasn't it said that someone was simulating the snap counts? if so, isn't that illegal?

Even if that did happen, which I'm sure the back judge would have seen/heard, I'm pretty sure under no circumstance was that ball to be snapped, with the exception of them (Anderson/Whalen) 100% knowing that there were 12 defensive players on the field at the time. Based on how long they took, and then snapping the ball, they went beyond what they were supposed to do. Chuck was going bananas on the sideline asking why they snapped the ball. Having practiced it and knowing what not to do, simulated count or not, Whalen should have known better than to snap that ball. Again, I don't see where Pagano is blamed for this..

Why is Whalen taking all the blame?

Since when is it the Centers job to decide if and when to snap the ball?

I don't think the Center is in charge out there. The QB is.

The Center will snap the ball when the QB calls for the ball to be snapped.

Shouldnt the Center snap the ball when the QB calls for the ball to be snapped?

The Whalen hating is very big on this forum.  Has been since day one.

Was it Jeff Saturday that basically said in order to beat the New England Patriots, it's not about ~trickery~ or pulling out ~special~ plays, ala the WTFake punt, but about playing fundamentally sound football. From the sound of it (I wasn't able to watch the game), the Colts were not able to keep it together and finish out the game. This season has been more disappointing because of the Colts shooting themselves in the foot, let alone a horrible play call to bring out the haters all around the NFL.

I don't think the Center is in charge out there. The QB is.

The Center will snap the ball when the QB calls for the ball to be snapped.

Seriously...? For one this isn't Holmes snapping the ball to Luck. Two, there were 3 guys hovering right over Whalen. In no way, with the ball being snapped, was there ever going to be anything good from that situation. No matter if Anderson called for the ball or not, Whalen can't go full # there and snap the ball. Good lord some of you can't be this dense on Whalen snapping the ball.. Again watch Pagano screaming "why did you snap the ball?"...

i could imagine our team putting up a banner for not getting completely blown out this time against NE haha:(

Good lord. Seriously???

Everybody griping about that crap can go eat manure.

Was anybody upset when they recognized Harbaugh and the let er rip gang with their 95 Finalist banner? Who the hell thinks they are important enough to determine how the team wants to honor their employees?

Who told him to run the play? Who put the play in the playbook? Who has been practicing it for 2 years? Who didn't call timeout just in case Griff would be dumb enough to snap it with three guys in their face?