Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Punt play fail (merge)

Crunked

It doesn't matter who is in the battery. Whalen knows how to snap, and Anderson knows how to throw. 

Ideally, the 'QB' is lined up a couple yards back. But I think Anderson knew right away that the play wasn't supposed to be run, so it doesn't matter where he lined up. I even wonder if the idea was to motion a guy in to the split or call a different shift, depending on the numbers. I'm not sure we even saw the actual formation. It was clearly supposed to be an aborted play.

If this would be true, it just goes to show it was Pagano's fault.  He should have called a timeout, any untrained viewer could see that was a trainwreck starting before they even snapped it

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this would be true, it just goes to show it was Pagano's fault.  He should have called a timeout, any untrained viewer could see that was a trainwreck starting before they even snapped it

The ball wasn't supposed to be snapped. That much is undeniable. No need to burn a timeout if you're already resigned to the five yard penalty, and they obviously were. Except Whalen.

They were in "illegal formation" regardless of how you would have wanted that play to play out. That's why there was a flag immediately as the ball was snapped...

Not defending the play, and not entirely sure I'm correct.. but I think there may be a misunderstanding about the illegal formation.  The illegal formation wasn't because they were all lined up on the right side of the field, but because they were about a yard behind the line of scrimmage when they lined up on the right side of the field.

Not defending the play, and not entirely sure I'm correct.. but I think there may be a misunderstanding about the illegal formation.  The illegal formation wasn't because they were all lined up on the right side of the field, but because they were about a yard behind the line of scrimmage when they lined up on the right side of the field.

I just looked at it again, and you're right. They were all a yard off the LOS. I thought they were on the LOS, but I was wrong.

Why not? He has that attitude the team needs and could keep discipline at all teams that's why we commit so many penalties....who would you prefer?

Gruden's teams in Tampa weren't disciplined. He took over a team that was already good before he got there, they had one good year and won the SB, and after that, they were barely .500. He's not nearly as good as his reputation. 

That play is completely his fault, I don't mind the playcall, he just can't snap that. He clearly had no idea what he was doing.

The play is 100% the coaches fault!  No way do you put a player in that position with a formation like that. Coaching staff must have watched a you tube pee wee football video prior to the game!

Gruden's teams in Tampa weren't disciplined. He took over a team that was already good before he got there, they had one good year and won the SB, and after that, they were barely .500. He's not nearly as good as his reputation. 

Ours obviously isnt disciplined either....however, I do agree, Gruden would not be my choice........This is gonna sound terrible, I mean terrible, but I'd go after ...................................................Matt Patricia, yes that Matt Patricia, the Patriots D Coordinator.......

Ours obviously isnt disciplined either....however, I do agree, Gruden would not be my choice........This is gonna sound terrible, I mean terrible, but I'd go after ...................................................Matt Patricia, yes that Matt Patricia, the Patriots D Coordinator.......

He's the only Pats assistant I'd even consider. But in reality, I don't want any Pats assistants. I'd like to see one of them actually succeed somewhere away from Belichick. So far, it's a long line of underwhelming results, and some abject failures. Let someone else try that experiment again.

At some point, I think Greg Roman should get a look for a HC spot. If we're looking for a new coordinator (which, at the very least, we need to replace Pep next year), I'd like Alex van Pelt from the Packers, but they won't let him interview. I'd like to talk to Dennis Allen as a defensive coordinator candidate.

So it's Pagano's responsibility to run out onto the field and tell the players they are lined up wrong?

no its paganos responsibility to see that not only our team is lined up wrong but that the patriots aren't showing the desired look and call a timeout while theres still a couple seconds on the gameclock

--but he is responsible for not immediately calling a timeout as soon as we lined up illegally

no its paganos responsibility to see that not only our team is lined up wrong but that the patriots aren't showing the desired look and call a timeout while theres still a couple seconds on the gameclock

--but he is responsible for not immediately calling a timeout as soon as we lined up illegally

Whalen wasn't supposed to snap the ball. If you're operating under the assumption that the ball isn't going to be snapped and are resigned to the 5 yard penalty, then why burn a timeout?

True that.

Genius when it works and laughing stock when it doesn't.

Sigh.......

But, we didn't need to do anything really. We were in the game. We were not like getting pummeled.

I know. I'm still scratching my head of that one because you only try special teams deception if your defense can't stop anybody & you're down by like 3 touchdowns. The situation didn't mandate trickery at all. I said outloud what the bleep are we doing?! Sigh...

Whalen wasn't supposed to snap the ball. If you're operating under the assumption that the ball isn't going to be snapped and are resigned to the 5 yard penalty, then why burn a timeout?

we were on the 37 yd line a 10-12 yd snap plus patty kicking 60 -65 yds would put them where? on there 20 taking a 5 yd penalty would be stupid IMO a punt at the 37 we may pin them down on the 5 or 10 I just feel griff shouldn't of been in that position in the first place. Irvin feels the same way for what that matters

and u burn the timeout because the play had no chance from the beginning there was 11 seconds and there were only 3 ppl on the LOS that's precisely when chuck should of called TO ive always wanted chuck to stay but after that I just cant justify it anymore..

What coach would want to start with a trash team when there's a good team that needs a coach just as bad? How wasn't they disciplined? It wasn't like they led the league in penalties or had alot of off field issues

The funniest part to me is that they apparently ran that play in practice, with the illegal formation

If that's true & I'm not doubting you Ryan, it's a glaring indictment against our entire coaching staff that nobody noticed that. Maybe we should have practiced that play in front of Al Michaels & Cris Collinsworth. At least, they would have told us to scrap the play especially if we can't execute it right. 

That play ruined any confidence we had at that point & it insulted our defense who had to come right back on the field & by then, they had to be getting tired too. 

If anyone is even still reading this...

The worst part of this play was not the play or the real time consequences or the loss or the tough questions directly after the game.  It isn't hearing every single radio or TV sports show just RIP the Colts a new one over and over and over for the play into the ground.  It wasn't my friends at the game who immediately posted a MEME of them raising a banner in Lucas Oil with the recognition of this being where the worst play in NFL history occurred on SNF.   Nope. 

The worst part has been watching the 24 hour news channel shows ALSO covering it in between their *ic political coverage as if this were a world news story and hearing them all weigh in on it as if they even know what a football is.  

Ack. 

PS: I think the real hope for this play was to catch them with 12 people on the field.  Whalen simply panicked as the play clock was running down.  I haven't heard from him as to why he snapped it.  Has anyone heard yet? Was he made available for questions?  

ESPN has been running that replay more than their draftkings commercials

That may only be because Draft Kings and Fan Duel are under an ever widening number of legal investigations by state Attorneys around the country including Florida who says it violates state laws plus some looking into insider info trading for money.  ESPN, sports leagues and others are very nervous right now.  

The funniest part to me is that they apparently ran that play in practice, with the illegal formation

I would say that you missed the point about the illegal formation.  It wasn't illegal because they lined up on the right side of the field.  It was illegal because the players lined up too far from the line of scrimmage on the right side of the field.   I would guess that they lined up properly during practice and just failed to line up properly during the game.

What is this an important distinction?  Because if you believe it was going to be illegal by design (regardless of the execution) then this is a *completely* inexplicable play.   If it could have been executed properly.. then it was just an inexplicable play.

It seems that many incorrectly believe the former.

Why try that play to begin with? Anyone can recognize that the play wasn't going to work and no one is jumping offsides in that situation. It's just a stupid play to begin with which falls on the coaches even if the ball was never meant to be snapped

The ball wasn't supposed to be snapped. That much is undeniable.

That is wrong.   Pagano said that the play allows to snap the ball if 12 defenders are on the field or if the defensive alignment is right.  

Pagano allowed a screwball play to happen when it was not ready for game action.