Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are fans discounting our offense?

SilentHill

I just don't get it.

Last season, with Trent Richardson, an even weaker O-line, an injured Reggie Wayne, and a number of other inconsistencies, we were the #2 offense in the NFL.

This season, we've upgraded the offensive line, we've added a stud at RB in Frank Gore, with some amazing backups, we added Dorsett, and Andre Johnson and Moncrief has another year under his belt, along with Luck now entering his prime, because lets not forget the first 3 years in the NFL are a learning experience.

This is the #1 offense in the NFL folks, this is an offense that is right up there with the 2013 Broncos, and the 2007 Patriots. Last season without all of these upgrades at mid season we were on a trajectory to pass both of those offensive seasons in the record books before we were stymied by injury.

This is the greatest shoe on earth and it's time to start acknowledging it.

So maybe now we can stop saying that the Buffalo Bills, who are missing their top defensive player, and some suspects at DB are going to give us fits.

I'm really excited to see what this offense can do this year. I think a lot of fans are concerned about how the defense will look this year with all of the new faces which could make it harder for some of those people to be excited about the offense.

Edited by 21isSuperman

So maybe now we can stop saying that the Buffalo Bills, who are missing their top defensive player, and some suspects at DB are going to give us fits.

I think it is more a function of how the Bills could ruin time of possession with their mobile QB and run game, thus impacting the productivity of our offense. Plus, it is more of Rex Ryan's reputation and his Xs and Os that one is not familiar with as a Bills head coach, that probably has some of us nervous.

If Luck becomes more consistent and does not go through stretches of time with 3 and outs or sacks happening like last year, our offense should come out on top, IMO. We lost the time of possession badly vs elite teams like the Steelers, Patriots and Cowboys. If that is corrected, our offense should be just fine.

I have much more faith in the talent than the coaching staff. I don't trust the coaching staff to properly utilize and get the most out of the talent. In the Manning era this would have been a circled victory. Manning vs. a first time starter at QB? The Colts would have attacked in a way where the game became a contest between our hall of famer and your first timer. I don't trust Chuck and Pep to do the same.

because pessimism

Colts fans are spoiled, I see this happening to my college team as well (Badgers)... constantly winning and always wanting more, but not being happy with the constant success we get.

I am fortunate my team's season doesn't end as early as others and I get to see the playoffs yearly.  Good ole bonus season.

Well if you ask me... which you did... I wasn't exactly blown away by our offensive production in the pre-season.  Yeah, the reports from camp were all glowing and great but did we see that transition into the pre-season games?  Not really.  I know you can't really judge everything by how it shows up in the pre-season games but I have some major concerns with the offense right now. 

Mainly, can the O-line run block effectively enough to take some pressure off of Luck?  Yeah, we have Frank Gore now, but he can't block and run the ball all himself.  Lance Louis still sucks and I have no idea why he is in there.  Herrimans was suspect in his run blocking as well and we all know that Mewhort is going to have good games and bad games. 

Pass blocking was suspect as well and it looks like we will now have to utilize a TE, probably Allen, to help chip on the right side instead of letting him go off on routes.  This takes a weapon away because we have issues blocking.  Will the O-line be able to give Luck enough time to let routes develop to utilize the speed we have?  Or will Luck be running for his life again, which forces mistakes and bad throws.

I think our Offense will be fine overall but I have yet to see all the parts come together to forge this juggernaut of an offense like everyone is talking about.  Behind Gore we have 1 injury prone back and 2 rookies (who, in their defense, did perform very well).  We have TY, who last year had trouble with double teams, Johnson who is aging and may or may not be able to get separation like he used to, Moncrief who we still don't know how well he has progressed (Didn't light it up in the preseason), Dorsett who is already dealing with a knee injury and is a rookie, and Whalen who though I am a fan was pretty much MIA in preseason....

Lots of issues that still need addressed and questions answered.... many of which will be answered Sunday in Buffalo.

Well if you ask me... which you did... I wasn't exactly blown away by our offensive production in the pre-season.  

When have we ever performed well in the preseason....? You don't give any clues away in the preseason man. If anything you want other teams to think you're gonna be bad.....

When have we ever performed well in the preseason....? You don't give any clues away in the preseason man. If anything you want other teams to think you're gonna be bad.....

I don't think the Colts purposefully stunk it up in the preseason... Letting luck get hammered during the 3rd game?  No, I think this offense has some major quirks to work out.... Defense is the same way.

Pass blocking was suspect as well and it looks like we will now have to utilize a TE, probably Allen, to help chip on the right side instead of letting him go off on routes.  This takes a weapon away because we have issues blocking.  Will the O-line be able to give Luck enough time to let routes develop to utilize the speed we have?  Or will Luck be running for his life again, which forces mistakes and bad throws.

I don't see utilizing Allen for blocking as a bad thing. One, because of vet status, our primary underneath option, which I anticipate to be AJ, was not on too many series with the first team, we will see the difference when he is on the field constantly. Next, I see a lot of teams going huddle and max. protect with TEs to chip all the time and have productive offenses, including New England, so many times. It is not necessary to go no huddle and to spread our weapons out most of the time for our offense to be effective. I do not see it as a negative whatsoever like so many posters here seem to see it. Once an OL settles in on the road, the chipping TE can chip less and go out on routes more, that is just how a lot of teams operate. I look at it like "hey, if Luck is protected, we can afford to do more 5 and 7 step drops and let routes develop easier, so having the TE to chip will only give him more time". Plus, with less contact allowed after 5 yards, having the extra time will ensure Luck finds an open guy more often than not.

Well if you ask me... which you did... I wasn't exactly blown away by our offensive production in the pre-season. Yeah, the reports from camp were all glowing and great but did we see that transition into the pre-season games? Not really. I know you can't really judge everything by how it shows up in the pre-season games but I have some major concerns with the offense right now.

Mainly, can the O-line run block effectively enough to take some pressure off of Luck? Yeah, we have Frank Gore now, but he can't block and run the ball all himself. Lance Louis still sucks and I have no idea why he is in there. Herrimans was suspect in his run blocking as well and we all know that Mewhort is going to have good games and bad games.

Pass blocking was suspect as well and it looks like we will now have to utilize a TE, probably Allen, to help chip on the right side instead of letting him go off on routes. This takes a weapon away because we have issues blocking. Will the O-line be able to give Luck enough time to let routes develop to utilize the speed we have? Or will Luck be running for his life again, which forces mistakes and bad throws.

I think our Offense will be fine overall but I have yet to see all the parts come together to forge this juggernaut of an offense like everyone is talking about. Behind Gore we have 1 injury prone back and 2 rookies (who, in their defense, did perform very well). We have TY, who last year had trouble with double teams, Johnson who is aging and may or may not be able to get separation like he used to, Moncrief who we still don't know how well he has progressed (Didn't light it up in the preseason), Dorsett who is already dealing with a knee injury and is a rookie, and Whalen who though I am a fan was pretty much MIA in preseason....

Lots of issues that still need addressed and questions answered.... many of which will be answered Sunday in Buffalo.

well gonna be hard to double Ty and Dorsett if both on the field and if you haven't noticed ever with Andre even with great coverage and no seperation he still can jump higher and muscle the catch ala (vontae would have perfect coverage on Andre and just get decimated) I'd love it if the bills got cocky and put Darby on lil old Andre lol he'd destroy that kid with a slow double move or post route and also the bills are planning on leaving receivers on islands they're getting cocky

I just don't get it.

Last season, with Trent Richardson, an even weaker O-line, an injured Reggie Wayne, and a number of other inconsistencies, we were the #2 offense in the NFL.

This season, we've upgraded the offensive line, we've added a stud at RB in Frank Gore, with some amazing backups, we added Dorsett, and Andre Johnson and Moncrief has another year under his belt, along with Luck now entering his prime, because lets not forget the first 3 years in the NFL are a learning experience.

This is the #1 offense in the NFL folks, this is an offense that is right up there with the 2013 Broncos, and the 2007 Patriots. Last season without all of these upgrades at mid season we were on a trajectory to pass both of those offensive seasons in the record books before we were stymied by injury.

We upgraded the offensive line? I hope we did but this is really a different group than last year. I'm not discounting our offense but the best predictor of the future is the past. There were a lot of games last year that our offense started slow. We did lose Reggie but gained Andre Johnson. There probably needs to be some chemistry develop between Luck and Johnson. Not worried about that either. I'm really not worried but I will say that the Bills defense is formidable and if the offense sputters early I wont be surprised. I think a lot of people expect our offense to just breeze thru the season but for the first game of the year this game should be a challenge.

I have much more faith in the talent than the coaching staff. I don't trust the coaching staff to properly utilize and get the most out of the talent. In the Manning era this would have been a circled victory. Manning vs. a first time starter at QB? The Colts would have attacked in a way where the game became a contest between our hall of famer and your first timer. I don't trust Chuck and Pep to do the same.

????? Last time I checked Peyton(or in this case Andrew) wouldn't be going up against Tyrod Taylor. He'll be going up against that nasty defense Buffalo has even with them minus Dareus. Oh & since you brought up Peyton, let me remind you that Denver did play against Buffalo last year, & Peyton had just 173 yds & 2 INTs, so don't say that we'd run them off the field if we still had him. We're gonna be in for a fight come Sunday & while I expect us to win, we better not let the Williams Wall & Hughes tee off on Andrew. I believe AC can handle Hughes, but Holmes & Mewhort must play damn good against the Williams Wall.

Relative to the Bills' game, I afraid weather is going to be the great reducer of our incredible offense.  High winds and steady rain aren't going to lend to a great passing day.  I fear our two rookie running backs could have turnover issues.  Yeah know, with Gore on a "pitch count" and all.  So I'm not discounting our offense to be in full display on Sunday.

and do what, put another CB or LB? that oughta be interesting

I have no idea, but blitzing constantly (Rex Ryan's trademark) and only having one safety seems like a recipe for disaster against this offense. I know weather isn't supposed to be ideal, but Luck will need to get rid of the ball quickly anyways, so I don't see that being a huge factor.

I'm just wondering if the offense can gel together well....

It's been proven in the past (Eagles "dream team") just because you get a lot of great FA talent doesn't mean you will be a good team or that the chemistry will be there.

I'm not saying that's how it will be with the Colts because they picked up some good veterans but just because you have the weapons doesn't mean it will work the way everyone expects it to.

Obviously pre season doesn't mean much but it wasn't a good start. Let's wait a couple games to really see how dangerous this offense will be.

Fans are dismissing the Colts offense for the following reasons.

• the oline is terrible.  I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake.  Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter.
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another.  I mean come on, what type of team does that.  Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter.  He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore.  But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line.  Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much.  Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average).
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.

So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic?

????? Last time I checked Peyton(or in this case Andrew) wouldn't be going up against Tyrod Taylor. He'll be going up against that nasty defense Buffalo .

This is something people love to repeat, which is at best only partially true. No, on offense you do have to match the tempo and success of the opposing offense, otherwise you lose. So, you are, in part, going up against the opposing offense, and nothimg puts a QB under more pressure than the tempo and quick success of an opposing offense. So, if you are facing a QB making his first NFL start, you'd think you would game plan and offensively attack with this in mind.

This is something people love to repeat, which is at best only partially true. No, on offense you do have to match the tempo and success of the opposing offense, otherwise you lose. So, you are, in part, going up against the opposing offense, and nothimg puts a QB under more pressure than the tempo and quick success of an opposing offense. So, if you are facing a QB making his first NFL start, you'd think you would game plan and offensively attack with this in mind.

It's actually up to the opposing defense to make said QB making his 1st NFL start as uncomfortable as possible via turnovers & hits to create doubt in his head & to take & keep the crowd out of the game. The opposing offense scoring points doesn't hurt, but again, it's up to the defense to slow/shut down their offense.

Fans are dismissing the Colts offense for the following reasons.

• the oline is terrible. I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake. Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter.
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another. I mean come on, what type of team does that. Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter. He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore. But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line. Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much. Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average).
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.
So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic?
lmao I'm crying

I just don't get it.

Uh, like we were Not the #2 offense last season. Seems you don`t get it that the #`s lie when you play in the AFC South.

And were 0-5 against the 5 good teams we played in th regular season.

It should be good #`s again this season, so we will see how we do against good teams with decent+ defenses.

I just don't get it.

I don't see many discounting our offense?  Most seem more concerned about our D.  You clearly expect our offense to just start tearing it up right out of the gate against a formidable defense.  Hope you won't be too disappointed if they don't.  Our offense may need a little time until they hit their full stride but we should become one of the league's best units if our line holds up.  As for all of your record breaking prognostications (you omitted the 2004 Colts by the way)...a little premature.  Let's just first see how they look on Sunday.

Look, I hope I am wrong here but I just don't know if this offense is going to produce right off the bat as much as everyone thinks... Again, I hope I am wrong. 

We certainly have the talent to be a very good offensive unit this year but I guess I just need them to "show me the money" before I will get on board and really get excited about it.  I was really hoping we would see glimpses of it in the preseason but we never really did...

Here's hoping that on Sunday the Colts make me eat my words!

Uh, like we were Not the #2 offense last season. Seems you don`t get it that the #`s lie when you play in the AFC South.

And were 0-5 against the 5 good teams we played in th regular season.

It should be good #`s again this season, so we will see how we do against good teams with decent+ defenses.

Uh, like yes we were, and our record has nothing to do with where our offense is ranked.