Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are fans discounting our offense?

SilentHill

I don't see many discounting our offense?  Most seem more concerned about our D.  You clearly expect our offense to just start tearing it up right out of the gate against a formidable defense.  Hope you won't be too disappointed if they don't.  Our offense may need a little time until they hit their full stride but we should become one of the league's best units if our line holds up.  As for all of your record breaking prognostications (you omitted the 2004 Colts by the way)...a little premature.  Let's just first see how they look on Sunday.

How do you know the defense is formidable? It's missing it's best player. That's like playing the Texans without JJ Watt and saying  they are a formidable defense.

How do you know the defense is formidable? It's missing it's best player. That's like playing the Texans without JJ Watt and saying  they are a formidable defense.

Wait... so only the best player matters?  They still have a monster DL, a formidable LB group, and some solid players in the secondary.  Not to mention Rex Ryan, who you know is going to be bringing the heat.

While the absence of Marcel Dareis will certainly help, their defense isn't a one man show.  Their D line is one of the best in the league and while it will be missing Dareis could still feature Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes and Kyle Williams.   Rex Ryan defenses historically have  played us tough.  It will still be a good test for us.  I see a competitive game...hopefully with the Colts pulling out a win.    If we blow them out I will be shocked but will happily give you your props for calling it.  lol

This is the #1 offense in the NFL folks, this is an offense that is right up there with the 2013 Broncos, and the 2007 Patriots. Last season without all of these upgrades at mid season we were on a trajectory to pass both of those offensive seasons in the record books before we were stymied by injury.

This is the greatest shoe on earth and it's time to start acknowledging it.

I can be on board with thinking we're going to have the #1 offense heading into the season.  But I'll need to at least watch the first 1/4 of the regular season games before I even start to think about whether I'd say in public that we'd be as good as the 2007 Patriots or 2013 Broncos.  Those were not just historic runs, they required a tremendous amount of consistency week in and week out.  The Colts have lacked an element of consistency over hte past 3 years, so they'd have to at least establish a trend of consistency before we start talking a historic offense.  

I think very few fans are sold on this offensive line, which creates a ton of uncertainty around the entire unit. We've seen very little of this offense during through the preseason, so no one can say for sure that this offense will be world beaters.

That, and I think that there will be massive insecurity issues among the fan base about every aspect of this franchise...offense, defense, special teams, coaching, the GM and ownership...until we beat the Patriots.

My issue isn't if we are good enough, it is whether we start off slow and execute poorly.  

I still think our offense would work better if Luck got out of the pocket more often, ala Wilson.  He seems more comfortable doing that and I think he would take less hits than he does now.  With our Oline, he's usually a sitting duck.   Same with the no huddle.  I think it suits Luck because everyone says he knows the plays as good as the coaches.  That's his strength.

Fans are dismissing the Colts offense for the following reasons.

• the oline is terrible. I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake. Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter.
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another. I mean come on, what type of team does that. Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter. He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore. But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line. Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much. Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average).
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.
So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic?

Sorry to say but I read this and think... nonsense.. nonsense and more nonsense.

• the oline is terrible. I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake. Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter.
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another. I mean come on, what type of team does that. Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter. He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore. But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line. Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much. Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average).
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.
So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic?

This post is brilliant. Laughed hard at the whole thing especially the "Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen part" lmao

• the oline is terrible.  I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake.  Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter. Because people can't learn right?
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another.  I mean come on, what type of team does that.  Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.  And He's brought in for long term? Or to massacre #2 CB's for a year or two?
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter.  He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof. Not like he's on the practice squad to do exactly that.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore.  But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line.  Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times. Because T.B. was passed on by 31 other teams multiple times..and he sucks also. and both the rookies just had horrible preseason showings.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much.  Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average). And his TD/Int ratio was right there with the top ratings last year even with the T.O.'s..but who's counting.
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen. Yeah...who needs redzone effectiveness...it's WAY overrated.

So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic? You got me, Maybe we should do another 2012 and clean the slate again.

Does someone know of a rainy / windy game where Luck put up excellent numbers?  The temps will be mid 60's, but with rain and winds between 10 and 20 mph.  I'm not sure what the field condition for RB's and receivers will be, nor if the wind will be crosswind or with / against the QB each quarter.  The Bills D is tough, but can be game planned.  The weather, not as much.

"This season, we've upgraded the offensive line..."

Oh? Considering every player on the line, except Heremans, was here last year, I don't really see where the upgrade is. Mewhort was respectable at LG but there's scant evidence to say he'll be any better than Cherilus at RT. Lance Louis is Lance Louis. Khaled Holmes is the starting center by default. And Todd Heremans has seen better days. Anthony Castonzo is good, but he can't block for the entire line.

Maybe chemistry will be the key. But there's something to be said for talent too. I hope they surprise us.

A high-powered offense without a capable O-line is like a high-powered sports car with a bad transmission.

I think we'll be fine but I do have some concerns about Mewhort having to block Mario Williams.  I'm assuming we are going to give him a little bit of help.  I don't have any doubts that Costanzo can block Jerry Hughes one on one.  I do have some concerns about how we'll deal with Kyle Williams on the interior.  I'm expecting us to have a reasonable amount of short passing going on with all the off coverage we'll probably see.  Dorsett is going to get quite a bit of action out there to the point where they shift and start trying to scheme things to take him away.  That's going to leave T.Y., Andre, or Moncrief open for the deep ball.  Those little quick hitter throws are also going to keep us in very manageable down and distance which it will be pretty easy for Gore to pick up the first down.  They'll probably bite hard trying to stop us from picking up 2nd and 4, 3rd and 2 with Gore and we can torch them deep off the play action. 

Does someone know of a rainy / windy game where Luck put up excellent numbers?  The temps will be mid 60's, but with rain and winds between 10 and 20 mph.  I'm not sure what the field condition for RB's and receivers will be, nor if the wind will be crosswind or with / against the QB each quarter.  The Bills D is tough, but can be game planned.  The weather, not as much.

Discounting he AFCCG.....Luck actually has a BETTER QBR  outside in the weather than under a roof.  Though, He has not played in many bad weather predicaments.  I read this somewhere last night, And for the life of me, and cannot seem to find it again to post a link for you,..my apologies.

On a good note, it's a 50% chance of rain...so that's a 50-50 chance for rain,..or just a cool day of football.

• the oline is terrible.  I mean look they are starting Lance Louis for pete's sake.  Sure he played well during the preseason but who cares about that when you can look back at his first game with the Colts last eyar (his first game action in 2 years) and see how terrible he is and no matter how much solid or good play he's done since then matter. Because people can't learn right?
  • They got rid of one aging WR and signed another.  I mean come on, what type of team does that.  Sure AJ has showed no signs of slowing down but still he's old.  And He's brought in for long term? Or to massacre #2 CB's for a year or two?
  • Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter.  He was a training camp stud... all he needs is game time because his potential is through the roof. Not like he's on the practice squad to do exactly that.
  • Then they sign Frank Gore.  But that doesn't matter because Barry Sanders couldn't run behind the Colts line.  Now he's backed up by an oft injured guy and two rookies that 31 other teams passed on multiple times. Because T.B. was passed on by 31 other teams multiple times..and he sucks also. and both the rookies just had horrible preseason showings.
  • You have Luck, yes he's good but he still turns the ball over way too much.  Part of it is the oline not giving him any time to pass (despite the facts that show Luck has more than 2.5 seconds to throw on average). And his TD/Int ratio was right there with the top ratings last year even with the T.O.'s..but who's counting.
  • Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen. Yeah...who needs redzone effectiveness...it's WAY overrated.

So please, when you look at all that, why is there a reason to be optimistic? You got me, Maybe we should do another 2012 and clean the slate again.

Well, there... you... go.  I guess o' Lawrence put me in my place.

Most people got it but since you didn't I will explain... it was a joke my man, a summary of everything we've been reading on this forum from various posters.

Discounting he AFCCG.....Luck actually has a BETTER QBR  outside in the weather than under a roof.  Though, He has not played in many bad weather predicaments.  I read this somewhere last night, And for the life of me, and cannot seem to find it again to post a link for you,..my apologies.

On a good note, it's a 50% chance of rain...so that's a 50-50 chance for rain,..or just a cool day of football.

When ever someone is trying to use stats to make a point but they dismiss either the worst stat or the best stat then the point is invalid.

Well, there... you... go.  I guess o' Lawrence put me in my place.

Most people got it but since you didn't I will explain... it was a joke my man, a summary of everything we've been reading on this forum from various posters.

I got it,...Sorry, reading it i saw it was WAY over the top...so  i thought i'd throw in the sarcastic remarks as well.  I wasn't attempting to 'step on you,...i was trying to add to it. Sorry, maybe next time i should just leave well enough alone.

When ever someone is trying to use stats to make a point but they dismiss either the worst stat or the best stat then the point is invalid.

yeah, that's why i threw in the afccg just as a reminder..it was bad weather. And no-one need to forget how that game went. 

bu i wasn't trying to make a point,i was answering someones question of how luck does in bad weather.

I got it,...Sorry, reading it i saw it was WAY over the top...so  i thought i'd throw in the sarcastic remarks as well.  I wasn't attempting to 'step on you,...i was trying to add to it. Sorry, maybe next time i should just leave well enough alone.

It appears I was the one that needed the explanation.

It appears I was the one that needed the explanation.

Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter

Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.

I'm just glad i wasn't drinking coffee when i read those 2 lines....nearly dropped my laptop as it was, laughing so hard...lol

Then they go and get rid of the greatest WR in the NFL in Carter

Then for TEs you have Stone hands Fleener and Dwayne I'm injured again, Allen.

I'm just glad i wasn't drinking coffee when i read those 2 lines....nearly dropped my laptop as it was, laughing so hard...lol

My post was meant as a joke but it appears to be more accurate than I wanted to believe.

Welp... I guess there were some valid reasons to doubt "The Greatest Shoe on Earth" talk... Lots to work on for the Offense... Especially if TY is going to be out a few weeks like Irsay commented. 

No need to panic just yet... But that performance was just horrible.  Makes me wonder what exactly they worked on in the pre-season...