Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Matt the answer behind Luck at this point?

bluephantom87

I know Matt is a great teammate by all accounts (mentor etc.) but lord forbid if something happened to Luck I'm not sold on Matt to win ballgames without a dominate defense. I was all in for Matt as the backup behind a young Luck providing some veteran leadership to help with Luck's growth on a team that was ahead of schedule. Now going into a season with SB expectations by many, Matt with turn 40 when the season starts and I for one see the decline in skills that surfaced last season but I figured Matt would not be re-signed. I think Grigs is playing with fire especially with that suspect o-line. Thoughts?  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Matt is a great teammate by all accounts (mentor etc.) but lord forbid if something happened to Luck I'm not sold on Matt to win ballgames without a dominate defense. I was all in for Matt as the backup behind a young Luck providing some veteran leadership to help with Luck's growth on a team that was ahead of schedule. Now going into a season with SB expectations by many, Matt with turn 40 when the season starts and I for one see the decline in skills that surfaced last season but I figured Matt would not be re-signed. I think Grigs is playing with fire especially with that suspect o-line. Thoughts?  

I believe Matt is one of the most solid backups in the game. If Luck went down for the season, no backup QB would be able to keep on winning like he can. But, if Luck had to miss a game here or there, Matt would be an adequate replacement and give the team a chance to win.

I think that Hasselbeck has been a great piece for providing Luck with some veteran wisdom and leadership. His value comes in the film room, opposed to on the field, IMO. 

To answer your question, no one is the answer if Luck went down. Wouldn't matter if it's Bennett, Hasselbeck, or anyone else. If we lose Luck you can flush those expectations down the drain

First off. I think matt will be fine. he is accurate, and healthy since he's not been beat up for the past 3 years-like other aging QB's-.

Remember, this was the 2nd-3rd stringers he was playing with....

2ndly, I think the o-line when season starts will be better than 90% of people think it is.  we have some VERY talented people in the 2nd tier of o-linemen that can step up if needed.  but last year,   injuries and lack of continuity was the o-lines real issues.  this year -knock on wood-  hopefully will be different.

He had a really clean pocket and just stunk it up.

Lets hope he isn`t needed, and yes a new guy for next season looks wise.

I feel that Matt knows the offense well, and he is still a great student of the game as well as a leader.  I have a feeling some are saying he is Kerry Collins revisited.  I say NEEEEEEEW.  

We will not be Super Bowl bound, but we would still make the playoffs with the talent we have.  We all saw how Dorsett did thr other day....put Moncrief and TY with them.....it will be pretty to watch.....Heck and I said nothing about Andre or Duron!!  

Honestly, in situations like this, I really think a young mobile passer is a better option.

If we need to win 2-3 games while Luck is out with an injury, having a young mobile guy could buy us a win against a weaker opponent.  I'm thinking of a Manziel/Hundly type here.  Odds are, we'll lose those three games.  But a mobile guy, if he can get through those games, at least adds another threat to the opposing defense.  And the constant critique of mobile guys is how long can they last... well, if they're just a primary backup, it shouldn't matter.

Some will say I am crazy, but with what a guy like Tebow did to us, he'd make a lot of sense as a backup to Luck.  Durable and mobile.  Could potentially grind out a win or two over a few games during the absence of Luck.  I wouldn't want him to start, but it's certainly a better option than a 40 year old game manager with a diminishing arm.  Also, I feel like Vick would be a better option than Matt.

As others have said if Luck goes down for a season I'd be of a mind you might as well tank for draft position so in some respects maybe MH is the perfect back up right now. Besides from all accounts he's a very good clipboard holder, and I'm not being funny when I say that. You'd hope that if Luck was to miss a few games that they were against AFC south opponents and the running the game was strong enough to get us through... In flight bacon anyone? :P

The best case scenario I could ever see in terms of wins would be a young QB as a backup who catches fire at the right time or has a Tebowesque run of freak plays. 

All of a sudden, everyone agrees that if Andrew goes down we are toast? Even to the point of willfully tanking the season for a better draft position? Wow!!! How about getting some OL and giving the young guy a few snaps under center so when you throw him in to a game he doesn't look like a deer in headlights. On second thought, we'll just go with the more receivers and no practice for the backups formula and throw in a few prayers for Andrew! After all, is that not what everyone does? Grigs, care to chime in?    

Unless the backup is good enough to win a championship like Earl Morrall 50 years ago, what difference does it make? Arguably a team might as well have a complete loser backup and get a good draft choice like we did with Luck. Teams can no longer afford good backup qb's, in the salary cap era.

All of a sudden, everyone agrees that if Andrew goes down we are toast?

we want a super bowl.  if luck goes down we are screwed in that sense.  this team has won enough games and divisions, there is nothing left to prove, other than winning the big one

so yes i would rather tank than try to make the playoffs with a back up QB, only to get instantly knocked out

All of a sudden, everyone agrees that if Andrew goes down we are toast? Even to the point of willfully tanking the season for a better draft position? Wow!!! How about getting some OL and giving the young guy a few snaps under center so when you throw him in to a game he doesn't look like a deer in headlights. On second thought, we'll just go with the more receivers and no practice for the backups formula and throw in a few prayers for Andrew! After all, is that not what everyone does? Grigs, care to chime in?    

It's very rare for any team, no matter how well built, to have a successful season if they lose a "Franchise" level QB for any decent amount of time. The one that springs to mind is obviously Cassel. If it was so easy for any  young QB to step in then their wouldn't be such a vast disparity in the remuneration for very small differences in talent. 

As for tanking, I said it slightly tongue in cheek but it does make sense from a game theory point of view and not just to team who's lost their QB. Take the Raiders say this year... they could do well and probably finish 8-8 as their ceiling. Wouldn't they be better served having high draft picks till they have enough young talent to push on and contend? It's horribly against the spirit of the game of course.

If you don't think the OL issues have at least had some efforts to be addressed then I'm not sure what to say. We've drafted O-linemen, we've spent money on them in FA...  just unfortunately not a lot the moves have worked out. Probably the biggest issue has been getting a consistent 5 together without injury interrupting. To your snipe about taking Dorsett I say this, the reason you draft BPA is because this is the NFL and excrement happens. Look at the 49'ers, last season you would say they were the most stacked team in terms of ILB, now look. Situations can change very quickly and the more total talent you have a on a team the better your chance or being able to cope with adversity. Drafting for need gets GMs fired. 

We have amazing depth at receiver and absolutely zero depth anywhere else. The reason we have no depth is not because we have no ability. It's because the backups get very little quality practice reps so they never develop. Bennett played pretty much the whole second half but in practice he gets zero quality reps. How the hell do you expect him to go out in a game and do anything? The same thing goes for the other positions, especially the UDFA? If you want to develop depth you need to practice your players. Practice is not standing around on the sidelines taking mental reps and then getting thrown in to a game with other guys that also have only had mental reps. When Andrew goes down, that is all you will be left with .... an old guy and a  guy who has only practiced in his mind! Surely there is a better way than this.

We have amazing depth at receiver and absolutely zero depth anywhere else. The reason we have no depth is not because we have no ability. It's becau the backups get very little quality practice reps so they never develop. Bennett played pretty much the whole second half but in practice he gets zero quality reps. How the hell do you expect him to go out in a game and do anything? The same thing goes for the other positions, especially the UDFA? If you want to develop depth you need to practice your players. Practice is not standing around on the sidelines taking mental reps and then getting thrown in to a game with other guys that also have only had mental reps. When Andrew goes down, that is all you will be left with .... an old guy and a guy who has only practiced in his mind! Surely there is a better way than this.

Obviously you have never attended training camp. All the players get reps

We have amazing depth at receiver and absolutely zero depth anywhere else. The reason we have no depth is not because we have no ability. It's because the backups get very little quality practice reps so they never develop. Bennett played pretty much the whole second half but in practice he gets zero quality reps. How the hell do you expect him to go out in a game and do anything? The same thing goes for the other positions, especially the UDFA? If you want to develop depth you need to practice your players. Practice is not standing around on the sidelines taking mental reps and then getting thrown in to a game with other guys that also have only had mental reps. When Andrew goes down, that is all you will be left with .... an old guy and a guy who has only practiced in his mind! Surely there is a better way than this.

Why do you talk about these things as if you know what you're talking about? You clearly do not.

Obviously you have never attended training camp. All the players get reps

Don't give me that crap. I have been there more times than you. You are only fixated on the highlights and the 1st teamers, just like the media. The whole training camp all that was reported was one highlight catch after another, or one Frank Gore run after another. What happened to these highlight reports on Sunday? Your sister can make a highlight catch in practice while in shells. Try and do that in a game when live bullets are flying. If you tell me that Bennett has had any quality reps in camp, you have no clue what you are talking about. Show me one reported camp highlight catch where he was the QB throwing the pass! So on Sunday, for a whole half, you witnessed exactly what he practiced .... zero!

Don't give me that crap. I have been there more times than you. You are only fixated on the highlights and the 1st teamers, just like the media. The whole training camp all that was reported was one highlight catch after another, or one Frank Gore run after another. What happened to these highlight repo

rts on Sunday? Your sister can make a highlight catch in practice while in shells. Try and do that in a game when live bullets are flying. If you tell me that Bennett has had any quality reps in camp, you have no clue what you are talking about. Show me one reported camp highlight catch where he was the QB throwing the pass! So on Sunday, for a whole half, you witnessed exactly what he practiced .... zero!

Again, you haven't been to training camp. All players get reps. Just because Kevin bowen isn't tweeting about about all 90 of them it doesn't mean they are "practicing in their mind"

Again, you haven't been to training camp. All players get reps. Just because Kevin bowen isn't tweeting about about all 90 of them it doesn't mean they are "practicing in their mind"

Again, show me one single reported highlight play from camp with Bryan Bennett. Is it that he is so bad.? Is it that the receivers all of a sudden can't make these spectacular highlight catches when he throws the ball? Or is it that you can't report mental highlights? The kid has a rocket arm ... strongest of our three QB's ... and he is very mobile. He just needs quality reps and our backup QB worries will be a thing of the past.  

Again, show me one single reported highlight play from camp with Bryan Bennett. Is it that he is so bad.? Is it that the receivers all of a sudden can't make these spectacular highlight catches when he throws the ball? Or is it that you can't report mental highlights? The kid has a rocket arm ... strongest of our three QB's ... and he is very mobile. He just needs quality reps and our backup QB worries will be a thing of the past.

Google is your friend

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/11/nfl-indianapolis-colts-2015-training-camp-report

lmao you really think he has a stronger arm than Luck? What are you smoking? Luck has one of the strongest arms in the entire league.

lmao you really think he has a stronger arm than Luck? What are you smoking? Luck has one of the strongest arms in the entire league.

Here we go again, media koolaid drinking fans deflecting the obvious truth. Yes, 100%, Bryan Bennett has a stronger arm than Andrew. I bet he can throw the ball 80 Yards downfield! Unfortunately, right now he only throws fastballs, but with practice I am sure that will improve.

Here we go again, media koolaid drinking fans deflecting the obvious truth. Yes, 100%, Bryan Bennett has a stronger arm than Andrew. I bet he can throw the ball 80 Yards downfield! Unfortunately, right now he only throws fastballs, but with practice I am sure that will improve.

I was simply pointing out the fact that he does indeed practice. A point of which you were wrong

Dear God.

That is all

I was simply pointing out the fact that he does indeed practice. A point of which you were wrong

Common Kevin, care to chime in or are you afraid to go there like the rest of the media guys that only report obvious highlights? Tell the folks the unbiased truth about Bennett ... no AP stuff. Better yet, report a highlight catch that resulted from a throw by him. I will buy you a beer the next time I see you.

Common Kevin, care to chime in or are you afraid to go there like the rest of the media guys that only report obvious highlights? Tell the folks the unbiased truth about Bennett ... no AP stuff. Better yet, report a highlight catch that resulted from a throw by him. I will buy you a beer the next time I see you.

He is an undrafted camp arm. There is a reason no one is reporting on him. But he, a long with the other 89 guys do indeed practice

I guess I'll be taking that beer

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/8/12/9145451/colts-camp-notebook-day-nine

Ill take Matt behind Luck behind any other back up QB in the league(Though there are a couple other QB's I'd take if Matt was not available), He has had some good years as a starter, Nothing ever elite but good. But asking any back up QB to start for a prolonged period of time is to much if you cant/dont run the ball and help him out.

Hmmm, I guess I am one of the VERY few that realizes that not every injury is a season ending one.  Let's say we're 4-2 and we lose luck for three games.  Coming out of that at 5-4 or 6-3 or even 7-2 all carry different challenges for the season going forward.  Having a good option at backup QB can certainly keep us in the hunt.  And a good backup doesn't necessarily have to be a vet. It simply needs to be a well minded guy that just happens to be short on certain metrics that puts him in our reach (arm strength, height, etc).

Dear God.

That is all

Back off buddy.  I own the copyright to that term on this board.  You will be getting a Cease & Desist notification from my attorney and I may seek damages as well.

And BTW - I agree completely with your take.

I know Matt is a great teammate by all accounts (mentor etc.) but lord forbid if something happened to Luck I'm not sold on Matt to win ballgames without a dominate defense. I was all in for Matt as the backup behind a young Luck providing some veteran leadership to help with Luck's growth on a team that was ahead of schedule. Now going into a season with SB expectations by many, Matt with turn 40 when the season starts and I for one see the decline in skills that surfaced last season but I figured Matt would not be re-signed. I think Grigs is playing with fire especially with that suspect o-line. Thoughts?

Who else would you want?