Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Move

PrincetonTiger

Mitchell (6th round pick in 2015) was waived/injured by the Redskins on August 5th with a shoulder injury and is expected to miss the season

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

August 6, 2015

The @Colts make their first roster move of #ColtsCamp. They claimed cornerback Tevin Mitchel and waived undrafted safety Robert Smith.

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

August 6, 2015

It strikes me as a bit curious to sign a guy who's expected to miss the entire season with a shoulder injury.

They'll place him on IR after the first cuts, and he'll be in the program for a year, and have a shot at the roster next season. Just imagine one of our draft picks got injured and we placed him on IR. 

Good move, Washington hates us right now.

They'll place him on IR after the first cuts, and he'll be in the program for a year, and have a shot at the roster next season. Just imagine one of our draft picks got injured and we placed him on IR. 

OK, now I get it, thanks!

Hello!

Three days later, he's on IR... lol

I wonder if we're required to put him on IR after we claim him... I know we don't have to right away, but I wonder if he can be cleared to practice and play once final cuts are done. It's probably irrelevant, I think I read he has a torn labrum.

I wonder if we're required to put him on IR after we claim him... I know we don't have to right away, but I wonder if he can be cleared to practice and play once final cuts are done. It's probably irrelevant, I think I read he has a torn labrum.

Yeah, he's out for the season. Basically just winds up being a free draft pick for us, just can't play til next season.

I'd assume the Colts can start him week 1 if they so choose. Probably not the best idea considering he's down a labrum.

Didn't the Pats do the same thing with Jake Ballard a few years ago? %, we're like the Pats.

A little different, in that Ballard was a player with NFL production (just wasn't a vested veteran), and the Giants were taking a huuuge risk trying to waive-injured him. 

Beyond that, I disagreed with the outrage toward the Pats over the Ballard claim. That's why waivers exists. No one is obligated to stay away from your good waived players just because they're injured. Just keep him on the roster until first cuts.

A little different, in that Ballard was a player with NFL production (just wasn't a vested veteran), and the Giants were taking a huuuge risk trying to waive-injured him.

Beyond that, I disagreed with the outrage toward the Pats over the Ballard claim. That's why waivers exists. No one is obligated to stay away from your good waived players just because they're injured. Just keep him on the roster until first cuts.

Agreed, good points.

Hey guys. Arkansas fan here. Mitchel is a pretty interesting guy. A lot of our fans were surprised when he got drafted, but that doesn't mean he can't be good.

He made the freshman all-SEC team his first year and his sophomore year he was out most of the year with a scary neck injury that he suffered in a loss to UL-Monroe (only time I will mention that). His junior year he didn't play well and was benched midway through the year. But Bielema has said his senior year was one of the biggest turnarounds for a player he's ever coached. He was our nickelback and had a great senior year though he flew a little under the radar like the rest of the Arkansas defense even though they finished ranked 10th nationally. He's a talented guy, but he's not going to tackle someone like Marshawn Lynch in open space. He has a tiny frame but is good in coverage and has good ball skills. Good athlete too. He just won't win many battles against bigger WRs.

He was doing pretty well in Redskins camp and was going to see a lot of PT with the injuries they've had. Hope he can come back from this and play like he did before the injury and I think he can be a solid depth corner.

Hey guys. Arkansas fan here. Mitchel is a pretty interesting guy. A lot of our fans were surprised when he got drafted, but that doesn't mean he can't be good.

He made the freshman all-SEC team his first year and his sophomore year he was out most of the year with a scary neck injury that he suffered in a loss to UL-Monroe (only time I will mention that). His junior year he didn't play well and was benched midway through the year. But Bielema has said his senior year was one of the biggest turnarounds for a player he's ever coached. He was our nickelback and had a great senior year though he flew a little under the radar like the rest of the Arkansas defense even though they finished ranked 10th nationally. He's a talented guy, but he's not going to tackle someone like Marshawn Lynch in open space. He has a tiny frame but is good in coverage and has good ball skills. Good athlete too. He just won't win many battles against bigger WRs.

He was doing pretty well in Redskins camp and was going to see a lot of PT with the injuries they've had. Hope he can come back from this and play like he did before the injury and I think he can be a solid depth corner.

Thanks for the insider info.

Yep Colts pretty much just stole an extra draft pick.

I like that we picked him up early and that he wasn't a cut that we grabbed after poor performance. He was a high 6th round pick, so he could easily make the roster as a backup CB next year talent-wise and has the potential to surprise us. Getting an extra draft pick is always nice and if the opportunity arises again, I hope Grigson does the same with another 5th-7th rounder from another team.

The Indianapolis Colts claimed a player off waivers Thursday who will not see the field in 2015.

So, why did this acquisition result in elation inside the organization?

Because acquiring cornerback Tevin Mitchel was a move that was a long time in the making.

The sixth-round pick of the Washington Redskins was waived-injured Wednesday after suffering a shoulder injury that will require surgery. He won't play this season.

But, according to an NFL source, Mitchel was a late-round target of the Colts in the NFL draft earlier this year – until the Redskins grabbed him.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2015/08/06/tevin-mitchel-indianapolis-colts-claimed-waivers/31265847/

The Indianapolis Colts claimed a player off waivers Thursday who will not see the field in 2015.

So, why did this acquisition result in elation inside the organization?

Because acquiring cornerback Tevin Mitchel was a move that was a long time in the making.

The sixth-round pick of the Washington Redskins was waived-injured Wednesday after suffering a shoulder injury that will require surgery. He won't play this season.

But, according to an NFL source, Mitchel was a late-round target of the Colts in the NFL draft earlier this year – until the Redskins grabbed him.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2015/08/06/tevin-mitchel-indianapolis-colts-claimed-waivers/31265847/

Absolutely love it! Even better getting a targeted draft player on waivers! Big coup for us. :) Great post Krunk!

It strikes me as a bit curious to sign a guy who's expected to miss the entire season with a shoulder injury.

This explains it.  They wanted him in the draft, but Redskins snagged him.  If they didn't get him now, he would've cleared waivers and went on the Redskins IR and able to return next season.  This way they can just put it on the IR immediately while making cuts for TC.  Pretty crafty if you ask me!