Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How often will we run 4 WR sets?

Trace Pyott

I was thinking about our draft and all the weapons we have at WR. I mean with AJ, HIlton,moncreif, Dorsett, and carter (if he pans out) we should have a very formidable passing game. I then began to wonder how will they all get used? I know we run alof of 2 te sets but I was wondering how often will we run sets that can utilize all our weapons at WR. How often in the past did we run 4wr sets? Do teams ever run a 5 WR set? It just seems to me if we put our 4 best WR on the field it would be nearly impossible to shut them down with any bit of consistency. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about our draft and all the weapons we have at WR. I mean with AJ, HIlton,moncreif, Dorsett, and carter (if he pans out) we should have a very formidable passing game. I then began to wonder how will they all get used? I know we run alof of 2 te sets but I was wondering how often will we run sets that can utilize all our weapons at WR. How often in the past did we run 4wr sets? Do teams ever run a 5 WR set? It just seems to me if we put our 4 best WR on the field it would be nearly impossible to shut them down with any bit of consistency. What do you guys think?

don't forget to put both tight ends out there at the same time,talk about scary!!!!  with everyone on the defense playing back to cover those 6 think of the running game for ballard and gore.

I wouldn't expect to see too many 4 WR sets... if you do that you limit your ability to change the play at the line.  If you have 4 WR sets that means you either have 1 TE or 1 RB.  If you go with no running back then you tip your hand and trust that your OL can block long enough for the routes to develop... something I don't have confidence in at this point.  If you keep a RB in then you trust that RB to either A help block for the OL or B chip and go out on a route, again leading to the issue of having an Oline that is able to sustain protection for Luck... And if they can't then all you do is a dump off and in that case whats the point of going 4WR then?

I would expect to see mostly 2WR/2TE/1RB sets or 2WR/1TE/1RB sets. I'd say TY and AJ get the majority of the WR time with Dorsett, Carter and Moncrief rotating in on the 3WR sets.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

I don't think you have to have four on the field at a time to justify the selection.  Mixing up receiver packages and trying to force Ds to change their DBs and coverages to account for different skill sets might result in critical mistakes, like having to cover AJ with a small CB or not having enough speed to account for TY and Dorsett.  Plus, there's the injury factor - if someone needs to rest or goes out for the year, we can still have an elite WR corps.  And succession issues are also eased - it's not as critical to resign TY if Dorsett looks even better.

We ran alot of 3-4 WR Sets last year. i think it honestly will change from Week to Week however Pep feels will be more effective against whatever defense we are playing. There also were a few 5 WR sets as well but usually a TE was present in that package. We have to accept that we are a Pass first team. we just need to be able to effectively run the ball. 

This year especially we'll have the backfield to do consistent damage and the threat of the run/play-action is too valuable to pass up on most plays.  Some good 4-WR sets might include some bubble screens or even some clear-outs/crossing patterns to spring one guy loose for the big play.  Best to have all options on the table and when you add in the TEs you can really keep people guessing while keeping players fresh.  We even have Tyler Varga as a FB.  Balance and options are the key I'd say. 

I hope that Dorsett and Moncrief can polish their short routes to get some easy move-the-sticks yardage that wears teams down as opposed to just telling everyone (2 receivers) to go deep like it's sandlot football. 

Best of all I like the mix of veterans/young blood and how their career timelines are staggered to allow vets like AJ and Gore to mentor the rooks and newer players.  I don't believe for a second Indy has any plans to let T.Y. walk in FA.  Moncrief will develop and at his age plus Dorsett's, those 2 can likely retire and ride off into the sunset with Luck in 12 years.  For the long term, I think It's brilliant if Dorsett turns out to be worthy of his 1st round selection. 

It will take years for all of this to play out, but the potential right now is fantastic.  From here on out, upcoming drafts can focus solely on the defense if necessary.  I'm in the minority who think the O-line will be fine if they recover from the injuries.  We're upside-down on Cherilus' contract anyway so might as well play it out and draft O-line first next year if things don't go as planned and front-loaded contracts from '13 expire.