Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building The Monster .......that is the Patriots!

Are you kidding me???  Dorsett??  I bet the Pats war room was laughing at us when we made that pick.  Absolutely awful!  We've got Brown and Goldman gifted to us....sitting right there, and we take Dorsett.  Explain to me how he makes this team any better???  To add insult to injury, the Pats go out and do the smart thing and take the player that can actually help their team get better in Brown.  ....you could see it coming from a mile away.  The Colts make the bad pick, the Pats make the smart pick.  It's mind boggling to me how we made this pick tonight.  ....dreadful!!  I guess our front office likes watching this team get their teeth knocked in when they play a formidable opponent.

I'm beyond frustrated right now.

I've spent many years hating the Patriots with the very core of my soul.  Tonight, i'm going to take my hat off to them for knowing how to build a team year in and year out.  Tonight was further evidence of why we can't touch that organization.  ....pardon the pun, but we are a one trick pony and this organization is clueless about "Building The Monster" ......if i hear anybody mention that phrase again, i'm going to vomit. 

...I'm not trying to knock Dorsett here folks....even if he turns out to be a nice player, this is a horrendous pick.  This team needs to be built from the inside out..  ...not the outside in.  Tonight just seems like a wasted opportunity by us.  We are so desperate for help on both sides of the line ...yet we take a WR...  ....and the smart team did what you would expect, make a pick that makes total sense for them.

Sorry for the rant.....I'm extremely disappointed this evening.

How does that pick make this team player? 

The FO who GET PAID AND ARE OCCUPIED to SCOUT had Dorsett rated as their HIGHEST AVAILABLE player at that point. So according the the People who we PAY to get these opinions, we added the BEST player available at that point in time to our team. That's how we got better...

The FO who GET PAID AND ARE OCCUPIED to SCOUT had Dorsett rated as their HIGHEST AVAILABLE player at that point. So according the the People who we PAY to get these opinions, we added the BEST player available at that point in time to our team. That's how we got better...

Sorry, RealityisLuck....if you think this pick makes any sense then you must not have seen Luck get his brains beat in each week.....and you must have missed any of the meaningful games we played last year where we got our rear ends kicked all over the field.  This pick was beyond brutal!!

I can think of only one scenario that this pick can be justified.  ...and that is:  we trade TY to the Jets and get Wilkerson in return.  If they do that, i can justify this pick tonight. 

just curious, by your logic....If Winston fell to the Colts and he was their "highest rated" player available, are you saying it would have made sense for the Colts to draft Winston?  ...i sure hope you don't see it that way.

just curious, by your logic....If Winston fell to the Colts and he was their "highest rated" player available, are you saying it would have made sense for the Colts to draft Winston?  ...i sure hope you don't see it that way.

Do you not understand the basics of "Best Player Available"? Just wondering... 

This is the only thing needed to justify this pick: 

For what it's worth, Grigson said Dorsett was the highest-rated player on the #Colts board. And it wasn't close.

— George Bremer (@gmbremer)

May 1, 2015

For what it's worth, Grigson said Dorsett was the highest-rated player on the #Colts board. And it wasn't close.

May 1, 2015

This pick was an abomination.  ....no other way to put it.  We've got TY, AJ, two talented recieving TEs, and an up and coming receiver in Moncrief ..now we're adding another receiver to that group......Have you ever heard of the "law of diminishing returns"?  Please google it.

The panic and the hysteria in this thread is embarrassing.....

Dorsett is a very good player.

He may not be the player we all wanted,  but he's a very good player.

The team is better tonight than it was earlier in the day...

And we'll be even better in 24 hours.....

Everybody just take a deep breath.....  and exhale....

Are you kidding me???  Dorsett??  I bet the Pats war room was laughing at us when we made that pick.

I like to think the Pats war room desperately wanted Dorsett and were shocked when he went off the board.  Who knows, maybe we ruined their night.

It's not panic and hysteria that you are witnessing, it's disappointment. The Colts have been a good team for quite a while and for that were lucky. However we could have been a dynasty if we paid more attention to the defense and had more of a balanced team. It seems as though we are following the same path that we did with Peyton and people are just plain tired of it.

And I thought Grigson and Pagano were all in for a Super Bowl season. I guess I was wrong. If they were, they would have picked Brown who could have helped them this year. Stockpiling wide receiver talent won't help this year. How are they going to use TY, Andre, Dorsett, Moncrief, Fleener and Allen at one time? Oh, and they have hopes for Duron too. Grigson says they plan to use Dorsett in the return game. He only returned 25 kicks/punts in college though.

I don't get it.

Lol @ people who say that this pick won't make us better.

I would have rather picked a player at a position of greater need, but this thread is full of gross overreactions.

Dorsett is a great receiver to get for a cheap few years. He will be a huge part of the offense in time. Hilton, Dorsett, and Moncrief can be the best group in the league after AJ is done...

I trust our FO when it comes to evaluating WR talent... Hopefully we can fill those needs tomorrow.

"The less a man makes declarative statements the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"

https://twitter.com/gmbremer/status/593985053979451393

You see I completely disagree. But then again I disagree completely that you build a team solely on best player available. That's utterly foolish to do in the first and good teams routinely show that. in the first round you don't pick the "best player available", you pick the best player who gives your team the biggest impact.

Compare our team to the Steelers/Patriots (2 model organizations) they never have issues that persist over 5 years. They are always improving. Look at the steelers from 2008 to 2015. They went from a defensive power house oline trouble to an offensive powerhouse (outstanding oline btw) and a rebuild defense. By drafting impact players not just the "BPA" but by getting the player that was a good player that they needed. From Pouncey/Decastro to Shazier/Dupree. That is how a good organization continually puts a functional team around their franchise QB and Ben isn't half the QB Luck is.

What are we doing? The exact same thing we have done since Manning was here. And guess what? The exact same issues for almost 14 years. Soft middle of defense and a lackluster oline. Weak non impact linebackers and one demensional dline players. And again Luck (just like Manning) will help Grigs keep his job. Because I have no doubt Dorsett is going to be an amazing receiver and put up gaudy numbers but we will still lose in December and January.

Are you kidding me???  Dorsett??  I bet the Pats war room was laughing at us when we made that pick.  Absolutely awful!  We've got Brown and Goldman gifted to us....sitting right there, and we take Dorsett.  Explain to me how he makes this team any better???  To add insult to injury, the Pats go out and do the smart thing and take the player that can actually help their team get better in Brown.  ....you could see it coming from a mile away.  The Colts make the bad pick, the Pats make the smart pick.  It's mind boggling to me how we made this pick tonight.  ....dreadful!!  I guess our front office likes watching this team get their teeth knocked in when they play a formidable opponent.

I've spent many years hating the Patriots with the very core of my soul.  Tonight, i'm going to take my hat off to them for knowing how to build a team year in and year out.  Tonight was further evidence of why we can't touch that organization.  ....pardon the pun, but we are a one trick pony and this organization is clueless about "Building The Monster" ......if i hear anybody mention that phrase again, i'm going to vomit. 

...I'm not trying to knock Dorsett here folks....even if he turns out to be a nice player, this is a horrendous pick.  This team needs to be built from the inside out..  ...not the outside in.  Tonight just seems like a wasted opportunity by us.  We are so desperate for help on both sides of the line ...yet we take a WR...  ....and the smart team did what you would expect, make a pick that makes total sense for them.

I was never a fan of Grigson from Day one and I never will be.

I remember Irsay famously saying "Build the Monster". What a joke.

Relax man. Patriots build 1 year wonders. Remember laurence maroney? Lol. Hec we wont even see browner after this past year just like david tyree after the super bowl. Dorsett will be a stud. And help take the load off tys back.

somebody once said, with gore and johnson maybe the colts lose to the Patriots 21-42 instead of 7-42. With Dorset maybe we lose 28-42, we still haven't done anything to stop the pats from scoring.....,yet. I like the player but still a very questionable pick to me.Lets see what else we do for the rest of the drat.

This thread, with it's bevy of Colts forum "experts" has provided great entertainment and I'll be forever grateful!  The last time I saw that many pairs of panties in a bunch was in Vegas.  Until you have Grigson's job, let a player play.

I loved Dorsett since the combine and gotta give props to Curtis Conway for talking about pairing him with T.Y. all the way back in March (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477115/article/three-wrs-colts-should-target-in-draft-to-replace-reggie-wayne).  Props to the posters here who aren't jumping on the rotten pinata bandwagon. 

Dorsett IMO is a great long term pick that instantly poses matchup problems for opposing defenses.  No need for an analytic dissertation.  This is all rhetorical until we see how it all plays out down the road, so people losing their minds on pick 1 of 9 here in April is comedy of the highest order.

I'm sure some of you will set me straight since I can't budget the time to make 10,000 Colts forum posts while waiting for mom to deliver the meatloaf down here in the basement.  I guess I'm not an expert.  Keep 'em coming.  I'm making popcorn! :popcorn:

Don't mean to ruffle feathers here, or maybe I do.  We're all on the same team as Colts fans, but some of you guys are straight up gestapo in these forums.  Just chill and enjoy the ride.  Whether you realize it or not, tonight was a great night to be a Colts fan.

May 1, 2015

Well that settles it then. No other player that gets drafted after Dorsett will have a better career, he was the preeminent best player available. There is no dispute.

The panic and the hysteria in this thread is embarrassing.....

Dorsett is a very good player.

He may not be the player we all wanted, but he's a very good player.

The team is better tonight than it was earlier in the day...

And we'll be even better in 24 hours.....

Everybody just take a deep breath..... and exhale....

Thank you compete non sense you take the BPA and it wasn't even close on our board.

we need help on the offensive line, defensive pass rush, at safety. and we go and get one position we absolutely did not need in the first round. since the 2012 draft the colts have drafted 22 players, 7 on defense and 1 defensive player in the first four rounds. and how many have actually stood out and showed they can be an starter on this defense game in and game out for the next 10 years? so i am right there with you, in being frustrated. like you said Brown, Goldman fell right in our laps but so did Randall, and Collins.  :hulk:

I feel bad. Grigson made the wrong house. He's got a defensive number coach bus an offensive minded GM who doesn't know when to hold or fold em.

You can't just stick to BPA when you lack playmakers at key positions. You gotta be willing to deviate from your plan and see the bigger picture.

Lol now I understand why we drafted Bjoern Werner. Despite not being a fit or that good, he was the BPA. The logic is so flawed. To avoid reaching for need them just take the BPA, but they fail to get any of their holes fixed.

This thread, with it's bevy of Colts forum "experts" has provided great entertainment and I'll be forever grateful!  The last time I saw that many pairs of panties in a bunch was in Vegas.  Until you have Grigson's job, let a player play.

I loved Dorsett since the combine and gotta give props to Curtis Conway for talking about pairing him with T.Y. all the way back in March (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477115/article/three-wrs-colts-should-target-in-draft-to-replace-reggie-wayne).  Props to the posters here who aren't jumping on the rotten pinata bandwagon. 

Dorsett IMO is a great long term pick that instantly poses matchup problems for opposing defenses.  No need for an analytic dissertation.  This is all rhetorical until we see how it all plays out down the road, so people losing their minds on pick 1 of 9 here in April is comedy of the highest order.

I'm sure some of you will set me straight since I can't budget the time to make 10,000 Colts forum posts while waiting for mom to deliver the meatloaf down here in the basement.  I guess I'm not an expert.  Keep 'em coming.  I'm making popcorn! :popcorn:

Don't mean to ruffle feathers here, or maybe I do.  We're all on the same team as Colts fans, but some of you guys are straight up gestapo in these forums.  Just chill and enjoy the ride.  Whether you realize it or not, tonight was a great night to be a Colts fan.

Thank you so much....I believe I'll join you for some awesome munching  :popcorn: You owned this thread. Absolutely put it right on the head. And as Pony Boy eloquently stated, "I like to think the Pats war room desperately wanted Dorsett and were shocked when he went off the board.  Who knows, maybe we ruined their night." I picture Tommy throwing his water bottle when yet again, the pats fail to get him a high round pick to throw to. 

As a 40 year fan, I have perspective as an old guy that most of these youngsters have not yet faced. I am talking about a period of 5 to ten years or more of losing football. They complain because for many, they have only been a fan since Peyton was drafted and all they know is winning. All there is left for them is SB titles. But for those of us who have hung in there through teams that were just simply not good for a long time, this sustained excellence that will soon span 2 decades...2 decades!! is absolutely NFL heaven. So whether you are a fan that backs the team with all they do as you believe they are all doing their best to bring us a consistently good product, year after year...or you are a fan that wants the team to do what they want...and use this board as a venting cesspool...we each get to decide how we want to enjoy our fan experience. 

It chuckles me to wake up early this morning, knowing that the Colts turned over every stone to create the best draft board they could, and stuck to their plan, and ensured our WR depth. Is it possible that fans have forgotten just how lame duck we were when we could not get open to get first downs against the Pats. Have they forgotten how the Pats game plan took TY out of the mix and we could not keep the offense on the field? Using the run to set up the pass, is the same as using the pass to set up the run. Yes, when we got our SB title, it was the fear of our passing game that helped that ground game in the PO's. Weren't the Pats last season better against the run than they were against the pass....we just were not able to get them small and fast on defense because we simply did not have the weapons? I could be wrong, but that is what I remember. In addition, why is it that fans just cannot understand that where a player is taken, does not rank his ability? the NFL is filled with guys from EVERY ROUND IN THE DRAFT. So we will only be helped by the first round selection? Seriously? It's almost as if they need Grigson to hold their hand, take them into his private room, show them where they are going to take defenders in this draft, give them a cookie and some warm milk, and dry their tears. 

War Grigson, war weapons that help ensure 6 or less in the box, and war sanity. 

Because there are seven rounds to a draft, nine picks by the Colts, and one dimensional run stoppers can be had in later rounds.  4.3 guys aren't available after round 1...defintely gone by #61...and its not even close. We get a 4.3 guy for a cheap rookie contract for, IIRC, 5 years if we exececute the option. 

To get someone with 4.3 speed AND hands, you typically have to be drafting in the top 20...IOW, we'll never draft another as long as Luck is QB.

No WR got open last year, except for TY and when Moncrief ran the routes he knew. Not only was Dorsett clearly the BPA, he fills a tremendous need.

One year, we actually had to roster all three...Brazil, Whalen, and Rodgers behind TY and Reggie. 

AJ isn't a long term answer.

If TY leaves via a big contract...we have his replacementon the roster and get a compensation pick.

The next move is to draft Coleman at 61.  He's another quality 4.3/4.4 guy, with skill and hands, but one who might fall to the late second because he happens to be a RB.  He'll fill a tremendous need, as Gore isn't a long term answer and Herron is a rotational back. I'd even trade one of our 6ths to move up a few slots to get Coleman.  He might be the BPA at #55.

Lol @ people who say that this pick won't make us better.

I would have rather picked a player at a position of greater need, but this thread is full of gross overreactions.

Dorsett is a great receiver to get for a cheap few years. He will be a huge part of the offense in time. Hilton, Dorsett, and Moncrief can be the best group in the league after AJ is done...

I trust our FO when it comes to evaluating WR talent... Hopefully we can fill those needs tomorrow.

"The less a man makes declarative statements the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"

The issue isn't whether Dorsett is a good player or not.  If he scores 10 TDs this year, it's still a bad pick.  ....we have too many receivers now (including the TEs).  Is Luck going to throw 50 TDs now? ...probably not, if he throws 40 again, then all that means is the other guys are catching less TDs.  So, as i stated in a previous thread, it's like the law of diminishing returns.  ....i like Dorsett's playmaking ability, but we haven't really made this team better with this pick.

I think the negative reaction to the pick is quite understandable. If the strategic options are merely draft BPA or draft for need, tactically you're led to a fools choice. In my business (modeling and simulating dynamically evolving complex systems), we look for the optimization of the system 'as a whole'. While the answers we get are sometimes counter-intuitive, it is a very bad strategy to try and optimize one part of the system, others remaining the same (for nerds, Theory of Constraints).

While I applaud many of the coaching tactics, I have been very critical of their strategies. A strategy is not just a random collection of tactics. I see this failure (IMO) everywhere I look in the Colts organization. They just can't "see" strategically (which is why Belichick thumps us regularly).

"When your only tool is a hammer, everything gets treated like nails."

Wha?

I think I'm going to stop using Swipe. It always does this.

What I meant to say was that Irsay made the wrong hire. Grigson and his shoes are in their own little world. They're offensive minded. I don't think they value defense at all.

Pagano does,but not Grigson and his scouts.

I think I'm going to stop using Swipe. It always does this.

What I meant to say was that Irsay made the wrong hire. Grigson and his shoes are in their own little world. They're offensive minded. I don't think they value defense at all.

Pagano does,but not Grigson and his scouts.

Trent Cole was added.  Langford was added.  Irving was added.  All of those players will play better the next two years than anybody we could've drafted at #29.

The hole on D has always been S, and none were drafted in round 1.  Grigs brought in a bunch...probably to draft the best one available in round 3.

Trent Cole was added.  Langford was added.  Irving was added.  All of those players will play better the next two years than anybody we could've drafted at #29.

The hole on D has always been S, and none were drafted in round 1.  Grigs brought in a bunch...probably to draft the best one available in round 3.

Stop being so....so........logical. Don't you realize this is suppose to be about emotions?  Lol....

I think the negative reaction to the pick is quite understandable. If the strategic options are merely draft BPA or draft for need, tactically you're led to a fools choice. In my business (modeling and simulating dynamically evolving complex systems), we look for the optimization of the system 'as a whole'. While the answers we get are sometimes counter-intuitive, it is a very bad strategy to try and optimize one part of the system, others remaining the same (for nerds, Theory of Constraints).

While I applaud many of the coaching tactics, I have been very critical of their strategies. A strategy is not just a random collection of tactics. I see this failure (IMO) everywhere I look in the Colts organization. They just can't "see" strategically (which is why Belichick thumps us regularly).

"When your only tool is a hammer, everything gets treated like nails."

And when you think about it, drafting BPA is essentially reaching. Basically you're taking a player you don't need just to avoid drafting someone who isn't as good. You throw out things like scheme fit, need, and value just to say "well we took a guy we liked so we didn't reach".

That's a very narrow minded view to approach something like the draft IMO. It shouldn't be one ridged philosophy that you just follow blindly regardless of the situation. This was the wrong pick because Grigs just went down the board and didn't consider all the factors.

People who are one track minded are doomed to fail eventually.

You don't know that. The world champs just took Brown and he's gonna be right up there in Luck's face twice next year. We did not get a single good defensive player in Free Agency and now we are starting to miss in the draft too. It's like that butt kicking we took in January didn't happen. Grigson really thinks we lost because of deflated balls.

Dorsett could be the next Odell Beckham Jr, won't matter when he's sitting on the sideline in New England watching Blount run down our throats. AWFUL pick. and if TY is supposedly gone next year, go all out this year on D and then use a draft pick on WR next year.

I should ask the fireidzik.com guys where to start

Thank you so much....I believe I'll join you for some awesome munching  :popcorn: You owned this thread. Absolutely put it right on the head. And as Pony Boy eloquently stated, "I like to think the Pats war room desperately wanted Dorsett and were shocked when he went off the board.  Who knows, maybe we ruined their night." I picture Tommy throwing his water bottle when yet again, the pats fail to get him a high round pick to throw to. 

As a 40 year fan, I have perspective as an old guy that most of these youngsters have not yet faced. I am talking about a period of 5 to ten years or more of losing football. They complain because for many, they have only been a fan since Peyton was drafted and all they know is winning. All there is left for them is SB titles. But for those of us who have hung in there through teams that were just simply not good for a long time, this sustained excellence that will soon span 2 decades...2 decades!! is absolutely NFL heaven. So whether you are a fan that backs the team with all they do as you believe they are all doing their best to bring us a consistently good product, year after year...or you are a fan that wants the team to do what they want...and use this board as a venting cesspool...we each get to decide how we want to enjoy our fan experience. 

It chuckles me to wake up early this morning, knowing that the Colts turned over every stone to create the best draft board they could, and stuck to their plan, and ensured our WR depth. Is it possible that fans have forgotten just how lame duck we were when we could not get open to get first downs against the Pats. Have they forgotten how the Pats game plan took TY out of the mix and we could not keep the offense on the field? Using the run to set up the pass, is the same as using the pass to set up the run. Yes, when we got our SB title, it was the fear of our passing game that helped that ground game in the PO's. Weren't the Pats last season better against the run than they were against the pass....we just were not able to get them small and fast on defense because we simply did not have the weapons? I could be wrong, but that is what I remember. In addition, why is it that fans just cannot understand that where a player is taken, does not rank his ability? the NFL is filled with guys from EVERY ROUND IN THE DRAFT. So we will only be helped by the first round selection? Seriously? It's almost as if they need Grigson to hold their hand, take them into his private room, show them where they are going to take defenders in this draft, give them a cookie and some warm milk, and dry their tears. 

War Grigson, war weapons that help ensure 6 or less in the box, and war sanity. 

Since i'm the original poster of this thread, I'll assume this response was directed at me.  I've been a Colts fan since 1979....the days of Bert Jones ....and I've lived through the brutal periods with this team as well.  I only mention this so that you know i'm not just a fan from the Peyton era.  ....and i know these winning seasons we've had from the Peyton to Luck era should never be taken for granted.  With that in mind, when you have a team that's in position to be a super bowl contender, you have to make the most of the opportunities you have to build the team appropriately because you never know how quickly the window can close.  I'm very greatful to have experienced this team's success the past 18 years, but considering we had a once in a generation type of QB playing for us, we've underachieved.  ....winning seasons are very nice to have...and i appreciate them.... but greatness is achieved when you actually win championships.  ....and that's what i want for my team.  They've had an all-world HOF QB along with 2 HOF WRs and 1 Super Bowl to show for it.....I'm sorry, but for as many times as they've been in the hunt for a Super Bowl, they should have done better.

I have not forgotten how badly the Pats kicked our tails in the playoffs...i remember how they held the ball for over 37 minutes against us.  I remember how, even after getting killed by Blount once before, they allowed him 148 yards and 3 TDs.  Mind you, it's not like it was a surprise they were going to run the ball. ....and we still had no answers for them.  It was an utter embarrassment.

I know there are several more rounds to go, but a great opportunity was missed last night to change the defensive culture of this football team.  It's not like they are one player away on defense.  They need a bunch of guys!  ...and you can't afford to let good defensive players slip by like last night......especially since they are so desperate for them.

My anger/dissappointment is driven by my desire for this team to achieve greatness!  ....not just winning seasons!

I have no issues with Dorsett as a player.  He's a nice playmaker, but is not the guy they need right now.  They've operated in free agency like they're ready to take the next step and win a Super Bowl.... But they don't have the O-Line or D-Line to support the infrastructure they've built to this point.  ....and make no mistake about it, this is the reason why we're always on the back of our heals against the Pats.....and why we can't get by them!

They only have so many picks at their disposal and they can't be wasted on a WR, albeit, a nice one.  They continue to build this team from the outside in.  ..it's a joke and not the way to sustain long term "greatness"!  ...don't take my word for it, just look at history and learn from it.

By the way, I have no desire to make the goal of my draft to take the player, the Pats want, away from them.  What I really want, is to build a team that can actually beat the Pats in a real game.  ...but if stealing their guy away from them makes you happy, then good for you.  Let's see how much you like him when he's standing on the sidelines for 40 minutes with a neck injury from watching their running game go up and down the field on us.

I know i'm being rough here, but it stems from my dissapointment in this organization's philosophy for building a great championship team.   ...."Build The Monster" they say, but they have no clue how to do so.  Last night was evidence of that.  

Relax man. Patriots build 1 year wonders. Remember laurence maroney? Lol. Hec we wont even see browner after this past year just like david tyree after the super bowl. Dorsett will be a stud. And help take the load off tys back.

Name one defensive first rounder that the Patriots wiffed on.

Just one.