Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building The Monster .......that is the Patriots!

Trent Cole was added.  Langford was added.  Irving was added.  All of those players will play better the next two years than anybody we could've drafted at #29.

The hole on D has always been S, and none were drafted in round 1.  Grigs brought in a bunch...probably to draft the best one available in round 3.

Landon Collins > Dwight Lowery

You don't know that. The world champs just took Brown and he's gonna be right up there in Luck's face twice next year. We did not get a single good defensive player in Free Agency and now we are starting to miss in the draft too. It's like that butt kicking we took in January didn't happen. Grigson really thinks we lost because of deflated balls.

Dorsett could be the next Odell Beckham Jr, won't matter when he's sitting on the sideline in New England watching Blount run down our throats. AWFUL pick. and if TY is supposedly gone next year, go all out this year on D and then use a draft pick on WR next year.

I should ask the fireidzik.com guys where to start

If you want to focus on the NE playoff games....

we lost because the Offense scored 7 points and gave the ball back to NE every 90 seconds on a short field. Nobody could get open...not because of the Oline, but because Revis shut down a gimpy Reggie and TY can't yet beat double coverage like Marvin could. NE only scored 17 points in the first half, and that was aided by a Cribbs fumble and Herron not catching an easy pass, forcing the Colts to punt(or perhaps a long FG attempt, I don't remember) and give the ball to NE.

The year before that, Blount ran down our throats because Redding was not fat enough to hold his ground and Landry couldn't tackle. After signing a bigger DT in Langford, I predict we will still draft a fat guy and an S.

And I think the plan is to re-sign TY next year....unless he demands an outrageous contract. But since he can't reliably beat double coverage, he shouldn't be that expensive.

Oh, and at the Patriots wanting Dorsett. DT was always the #1 need to replace Big Vince. Last I checked, the Patriots won a SB with their current WR roster.

No you didn't. The Seahawks won it for you and your team used controversial play substitutions that got banned a mere couple of months after the season ended. Forget the Seahawks, even Baltimore would have won without those substitution shenanigans.

No you didn't. The Seahawks won it for you and your team used controversial play substitutions that got banned a mere couple of months after the season ended. Forget the Seahawks, even Baltimore would have won without those substitution shenanigans.

Were those the reasons? I thought it might have been this:

flacccantrun.gif

The panic and the hysteria in this thread is embarrassing.....

Dorsett is a very good player.

He may not be the player we all wanted,  but he's a very good player.

The team is better tonight than it was earlier in the day...

And we'll be even better in 24 hours.....

Everybody just take a deep breath.....  and exhale....

Out Of Likes but I like this!

Since i'm the original poster of this thread, I'll assume this response was directed at me.  I've been a Colts fan since 1979....the days of Bert Jones ....and I've lived through the brutal periods with this team as well.  I only mention this so that you know i'm not just a fan from the Peyton era.  ....and i know these winning seasons we've had from the Peyton to Luck era should never be taken for granted.  With that in mind, when you have a team that's in position to be a super bowl contender, you have to make the most of the opportunities you have to build the team appropriately because you never know how quickly the window can close.  I'm very greatful to have experienced this team's success the past 18 years, but considering we had a once in a generation type of QB playing for us, we've underachieved.  ....winning seasons are very nice to have...and i appreciate them.... but greatness is achieved when you actually win championships.  ....and that's what i want for my team.  They've had an all-world HOF QB along with 2 HOF WRs and 1 Super Bowl to show for it.....I'm sorry, but for as many times as they've been in the hunt for a Super Bowl, they should have done better.

I have not forgotten how badly the Pats kicked our tails in the playoffs...i remember how they held the ball for over 37 minutes against us.  I remember how, even after getting killed by Blount once before, they allowed him 148 yards and 3 TDs.  Mind you, it's not like it was a surprise they were going to run the ball. ....and we still had no answers for them.  It was an utter embarrassment.

I know there are several more rounds to go, but a great opportunity was missed last night to change the defensive culture of this football team.  It's not like they are one player away on defense.  They need a bunch of guys!  ...and you can't afford to let good defensive players slip by like last night......especially since they are so desperate for them.

My anger/dissappointment is driven by my desire for this team to achieve greatness!  ....not just winning seasons!

I have no issues with Dorsett as a player.  He's a nice playmaker, but is not the guy they need right now.  They've operated in free agency like they're ready to take the next step and win a Super Bowl.... But they don't have the O-Line or D-Line to support the infrastructure they've built to this point.  ....and make no mistake about it, this is the reason why we're always on the back of our heals against the Pats.....and why we can't get by them!

They only have so many picks at their disposal and they can't be wasted on a WR, albeit, a nice one.  They continue to build this team from the outside in.  ..it's a joke and not the way to sustain long term "greatness"!  ...don't take my word for it, just look at history and learn from it.

By the way, I have no desire to make the goal of my draft to take the player, the Pats want, away from them.  What I really want, is to build a team that can actually beat the Pats in a real game.  ...but if stealing their guy away from them makes you happy, then good for you.  Let's see how much you like him when he's standing on the sidelines for 40 minutes with a neck injury from watching their running game go up and down the field on us.

I know i'm being rough here, but it stems from my dissapointment in this organization's philosophy for building a great championship team.   ...."Build The Monster" they say, but they have no clue how to do so.  Last night was evidence of that.  

First of all, if my response was to you, I would have quoted you....I was talking about the general whiny attitude of fans who don't get what they want...which were all over this thread. Curious, did you only want those who agree with you to post in your thread?.

I am not going to try and discuss each aspect of your response to me. I will just say that I trust nearly every fans opinion here a bout as much as a bent screwdriver when it comes to assessing talent and what choices should be made in a war room. So when a thread that stems from a stance of being incensed about the selection of a player by men to know more about this than anyone here by so far of a margin that is nullifies discussion...and that thread is filled with the moans of woe by many, I give my opinion. My opinion is that it is largely unnecessary fussing. As far as you being rough, I can handle it. No warnings needed.

First of all, if my response was to you, I would have quoted you....I was talking about the general whiny attitude of fans who don't get what they want...which were all over this thread. Curious, did you only want those who agree with you to post in your thread?.

I am not going to try and discuss each aspect of your response to me. I will just say that I trust nearly every fans opinion here a bout as much as a bent screwdriver when it comes to assessing talent and what choices should be made in a war room. So when a thread that stems from a stance of being incensed about the selection of a player by men to know more about this than anyone here by so far of a margin that is nullifies discussion...and that thread is filled with the moans of woe by many, I give my opinion. My opinion is that it is largely unnecessary fussing. As far as you being rough, I can handle it. No warnings needed.

The player isn't my issue.  The point is...if Dorsett is a very good player, the overall improvement of the team is marginal at best. The Colts get their teeth knocked in every year by the Pats....and it's not because they were missing a second receiver.  The Colts, compared to the rest of the NFL, already stacked up favorably to almost of other NFL team in the WR department.  There was very little to gain by drafting this kid last night....regardless of how good he is. 

This isn't about me knowing how to evaluate talent better than our front office people. ....it's a criticism of their philosophy....which i have every right to bash. ...they continue to lose to the same team year in and year out....in embarrassing fashion.  ....it's like they haven't learned one bit from those games.

I'm going to pull like heck for Dorsett.  .....seems like a great kid.  ....but he's not what this team needed.

I sure hope 8 months from now you make me eat my words though!

I understand the sentiment, but does anybody really have any knowledge of a team that has suffered because they had too much talent at WR?

Someone wrote earlier about a hypothetical fall by a QB like Mariota to the Colts pick and how dumb it would be to draft him, even if he was the BPA by far.

I completely disagree. You get the best value, according to your board. That holds true regardless of position (except in the case of equals), even if you have to trade the player later in the draft or after developing their talent.

I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but it does make us better. No question.

I look for a trade up in the second, packaging some of those later picks (9 is too many) to grab one of those guys that we (and everyone else) passed on earlier.

Even without doing that, there will be a guy that was frequently mocked to Indy, in the 1st, available at the bottom of the 2nd.

It's always fair game to criticize the GM for picks that you disagree with, but I don't think it's as dumb a decision as many of us seem to think.

The panic and the hysteria in this thread is embarrassing.....

Dorsett is a very good player.

He may not be the player we all wanted, but he's a very good player.

The team is better tonight than it was earlier in the day...

And we'll be even better in 24 hours.....

Everybody just take a deep breath..... and exhale....

Please put down what ever you are smoking or drinking

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The Patriots did nothing wrong, despite your wishes .

Or are you forgetting that the Patriots LEGALLY substituted only 4 times?