Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Police want to question La'el Collins

I didn't see this anywhere else here...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12782074/lael-collins-sought-questioning-police-following-shooting-death-29-year-old-woman

Police are seeking to question La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant woman last week, but the former LSU offensive lineman is not considered a suspect, Baton Rouge police Lt. Jonny Dunnam told ESPN.

Brittany Mills, 29, is believed by police to be a former girlfriend of Collins. Police said Collins is not believed to be a suspect in the shooting, only that they want to talk to him to see if he can provide them with information.

Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, told police his client is in Chicago getting ready for the NFL draft. But Boren told ESPN he has been in constant contact with the lead detective on the case and he spoke with the district attorney Tuesday.

"We took the investigation seriously," Boren said from his offices Tuesday. "We've tried to rule him out as a suspect. We're going to provide that information to the police, and ultimately [Collins] will sit down and talk to them. But the timing is poor."

This is crazy.

He may not be a suspect but a "potential suspect," still sounds pretty bad. According to his attorney, "We have identified where La'el was the day the lady was murdered to establish he was nowhere around," Boren told ESPN. "We have offered to give names, witnesses who can vouch for his whereabouts that day until after the woman's body was discovered. We believe that when [police] have verified that information, that they will rule him out as a suspect in the homicide, just as I believe he should be."

So they apparently haven't ruled him out as a potential suspect yet. I'm sure they will want to talk to him about any people who may have known her that would throw up red flags.

Jeez....I just hope the baby survives. :(

I feel bad even thinking about the draft implications....but we probably oughta scratch Collins off the board.

There's no chance this gets cleared up with 100% certainty in 48 hours.

Becausehe knew someone that was murdered? Ridiculous that people come to these conclusions with absolutely zero information.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12782074/lael-collins-sought-questioning-police-following-shooting-death-29-year-old-woman

Police are seeking to question La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant woman last week, but the former LSU offensive lineman is not considered a suspect, Baton Rouge police Lt. Jonny Dunnam told ESPN.

Brittany Mills, 29, is believed by police to be a former girlfriend of Collins. Police said Collins is not believed to be a suspect in the shooting, only that they want to talk to him to see if he can provide them with information.

Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, told police his client is in Chicago getting ready for the NFL draft. But Boren told ESPN he has been in constant contact with the lead detective on the case and he spoke with the district attorney Tuesday.

"We took the investigation seriously," Boren said from his offices Tuesday. "We've tried to rule him out as a suspect. We're going to provide that information to the police, and ultimately [Collins] will sit down and talk to them. But the timing is poor."

This is crazy.

Hello, La'el Collins,  2nd round pick.

Becausehe knew someone that was murdered? Ridiculous that people come to these conclusions with absolutely zero information.

I didn't come to ANY conclusions....read the post again and don't put :censored:  words in my mouth.

You don't know he's innocent and I don't know he's guilty....and the chances of it getting cleared up in 48 hours are pretty slim at best. That was my point.

Now.....you wanna gamble a 1st round pick on that?

I didn't come to ANY conclusions....read the post again and don't put :censored:  words in my mouth.

You don't know he's innocent and I don't know he's guilty....and the chances of it getting cleared up in 48 hours are pretty slim at best. That was my point.

Now.....you wanna gamble a 1st round pick on that?

According to the article he has multiple alibis.  He's going through the draft process and was very likely in contact with an agent, or trainer, whatever and had no chance at being there.  The police have said he isn't a suspect, or so much as called him a person of interest.  48 hours is a lot of time to find out some basic information that could very well clear him.

Unless teams already had red flags on him from their thorough background checks on every first rd. pick, I'll assume his status has not changed at all.

According to the article he has multiple alibis.  He's going through the draft process and was very likely in contact with an agent, or trainer, whatever and had no chance at being there.  The police have said he isn't a suspect, or so much as called him a person of interest.  48 hours is a lot of time to find out some basic information that could very well clear him.

Unless teams already had red flags on him from their thorough background checks on every first rd. pick, I'll assume his status has not changed at all.

Wig, that may be 100% the case....he could be 100% innocent or connected somehow....we just don't know.

My only point....rooted in the bungling of our last two 1st round picks....is that I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. Who knows....maybe Grigson will?

I actually like Collins....but we screwed it up pretty bad with Werner and Richardson, and I prefer we look elsewhere.  

Wig, that may be 100% the case....he could be 100% innocent or connected somehow....we just don't know.

My only point....rooted in the bungling of our last two 1st round picks....is that I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. Who knows....maybe Grigson will?

I actually like Collins....but we screwed it up pretty bad with Werner and Richardson, and I prefer we look elsewhere.  

I meant you came to the conclusion of not drafting him.  I would prefer they checked a couple things out to see if it were a risk or not.

First Ray, now Collins, and count me in on the group says in the 1st round, until clarification, you can't take him. The article does not say how long ago she was his girlfriend, and remember she is pregnant. So, possibility it is his child? I don't know, but the fact the article does not bring it up without any background info. makes me wonder. Also, if it was his child, and I have no idea, but it does not matter if he had an alibi. I will say one word. Rae Caruth. For those of you who don't remember, similar circumstances, look it up.

I know it is a stretch, but I just would not take a chance unless I had talked to the police or her family, and they confirmed to me the child was not Collins. I hope not, because I think he will be a mauler.

I don't think it affects him at all draft wise. I think the only reason he is part of the investigation is because he was an ex-boyfriend of the victim and police investigators wouldn't be doing their due dilligence if they didn't speak with everybody that was close to the victim to get as much information as they can to help with the investigation

I don't think it affects him at all draft wise. I think the only reason he is part of the investigation is because he was an ex-boyfriend of the victim and police investigators wouldn't be doing their due dilligence if they didn't speak with everybody that was close to the victim to get as much information as they can to help with the investigation

I guess he's left the draft in Chicago to talk to them....according to NFL.com

If the NFL would be fair they would take his name out of the draft, for his own good if he's innocent and for any team drafting him if he isn't. If he's cleared he could go into the supplemental. As it is now, he goes from a 1st rounder to a 5th-6th.. If he's innocent he loses million..

This is crazy.

The comment from the attorney in the last line really touched a nerve. For him to say the "timing is bad" for Collins is just ignorant. You know who the timing is bad for? The freaking dead woman. That is the story and not the inconvience that Collins' faces.

Terrible news, and even more terrible timing for Collins. I don't think it will affect his stock much if any though.

I know this is semantics and not what you really meant but the really bad news is for the dead woman.  The "even more terrible timing" for Collins is something he will get over.  She won't.

The comment from the attorney in the last line really touched a nerve. For him to say the "timing is bad" for Collins is just ignorant. You know who the timing is bad for? The freaking dead woman. That is the story and not the inconvience that Collins' faces.

Yeah, it's a little less than sincere. I have a lot of thoughts on that, but out of respect for the dead woman, I'll leave it be. I hope the dude had nothing to do with it, but you never know.

I know this is semantics and not what you really meant but the really bad news is for the dead woman.  The "even more terrible timing" for Collins is something he will get over.  She won't.

If Collins had absolutely nothing to do with it and it loses him millions of dollars, then it absolutely is really bad timing for him.  Not sure why that strikes a nerve with you.  We aren't talking about just a possible inconvenience, but a drastic effect on his life as well.

If Collins had absolutely nothing to do with it and it loses him millions of dollars, then it absolutely is really bad timing for him.  Not sure why that strikes a nerve with you.  We aren't talking about just a possible inconvenience, but a drastic effect on his life as well.

I am going to respectfully disagree and bow out of this.  It goes nowhere good.

I am going to respectfully disagree and bow out of this. It goes nowhere good.

If he is completely innocent and it negatively affects his life, I'm not sure how you can think that isn't unfortunate.

Yeah I really was talking about the woman and her child when I said "terrible news". I was just noting that the timing for something like this might hurt Collins, I'm not taking anything away from the severity of the murder in question.

Explain to me how the timing for Collins is more terrible than the shooting of a pregnant woman?

I worded my comment wrong, and would edit it if I could, believe me. Sheesh, guys, I know that murder is worse than having bad draft stock. Take it easy.

Here come the SJW's. Amazingly, people look at how situations affect them personally. Crazy, I know. And just so you know, generally when people mourn the death of someone, it's at least partially because it affects them in some way. You can't pull some crap about bigger issues completely obliterating the smaller one. Otherwise none of you should be on this forum, because people are starving in Africa. So yes, if he had nothing to do with it, then it is inconvenient timing for him. (Hate incoming)

I worded my comment wrong, and would edit it if I could, believe me. Sheesh, guys, I know that murder is worse than having bad draft stock. Take it easy.

Some around here do not however. When Aaron Hernandez was arrested, some on this forum maintained that the biggest tragedy was not the loss of a young father's life, but that a talented footballer player would never play again.

Not a suspect. One of his ex-girlfriends got shot.

Why is this a big deal?

Because "not a suspect, at this time" can change in a matter of a few days. If you were planning on drafting him at #10, would you just brush this off because his attorney says he's not a suspect?

The big issue, imo, is the mere fact that a player (or anyone) is forced to grow up in these kind of surroundings.  He may be hanging with the wrong crowd or he may be a great kid in a bad neighborhood.    Whatever the case, I certainly don't live in an upscale neighborhood, but I've never had to testify about my pregnant neighbor being shot.  Whole thing is whacked.  Either way, we know if he's good, he'll get a chance to play in the NFL.  A league where Nigerian rugby players are scouted.

Some around here do not however. When Aaron Hernandez was arrested, some on this forum maintained that the biggest tragedy was not the loss of a young father's life, but that a talented footballer player would never play again.

Yeah, I remember that. There are a lot of people that lack compassion in our society unfortunately.