Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's some interesting Colts-Melvin Gordon info.

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593196391507234816

Oh man anyone else watching Draft Academy?! The #Colts scout had some interesting things to tell Melvin Gordon.

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593197098192928768

Colts scout told Gordon that even though they signed Gore "we are still looking for a RB early, Gore is 30 he only has so long"

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593197628818522113

Colts scout to Gordon "Yes we signed Gore, but that doesn't change our plans to draft a RB."

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593198366055469057

Melvin Gordon's mom was not impressed that the Colts scout was talking to her son saying " Didn't they just sign Frank Gore?"

I really hope we don't draft a RB in the 1st round. We can get a feature back in the 2nd or 3rd. We gotta go defense in the 1st anyway.

That is suggesting they will all be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds by the time we pick. Same can be said with defense in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...either way we need to address both issues for long term success. If Gordon is best player available at 29 i'm all for it

I just read a long ESPN article on Melvin Gordon and Trae Waynes, and I think Melvin Gordon is gonna be something good in the league. He checks all the boxes, on and off the field.

I still don't want a back in the first round, but I really like him.

I just read a long ESPN article on Melvin Gordon and Trae Waynes, and I think Melvin Gordon is gonna be something good in the league. He checks all the boxes, on and off the field.

I'm with you. Not what I want but see it as a productive pick. A really productive pick if he improves in the passing game.

That is suggesting they will all be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds by the time we pick. Same can be said with defense in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...either way we need to address both issues for long term success. If Gordon is best player available at 29 i'm all for it

No I'm not suggesting that all. But a guy like Tevin Coleman will almost certainly be there in the 2nd and I think he'll be a big time RB. Gordon and Gurley will be gone sure, but IMO, guys like Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, and Abdullah will all be really good RB's who could be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah, they grew up together going to the same High School.  Good article.

Gordon has the determination,motor, and motivation to be a difference maker in the league. He is a playmaker.

Now I am biased due to being a Badger fan, but he does let the ball hit the ground too often. He really wasn't used in the pass game because the Badgers didn't have much of one.  

Regardless, he works on his weaknesses and improves them.  That showed last year in college.

I personally don't want the Colts to use a 1st rounder on him due to the position value and Gore.  I feel like we should go defense and try to get Ameer or Duke a round later. But I also don't want to see him go to the Pats, or at the top of the 2nd to our division like what happened with another Wisconsin native who hounds us, JJ Watt.

No I'm not suggesting that all. But a guy like Tevin Coleman will almost certainly be there in the 2nd and I think he'll be a big time RB. Gordon and Gurley will be gone sure, but IMO, guys like Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, and Abdullah will all be really good RB's who could be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

i agree but we are picking very late in every round, if we want to get one of those guys i have a feeling we will need to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd if we want one of the top end backs. I'd like to see either Gordon, Coleman, Abdullah or Davis picked up...First year or 2 we wont need them to be in the passing game much, just run the ball to start with and let Gore & Ballard(hopefully) take care of Andrew in the passing both protecting and catching out of the backfield. 

I really don't think RBs should go in the 1st round. The only time an elite RB makes a difference is when you don't have an elite QB. RBs don't win Superbowls.

There isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to create a thinking game with an average back. I'd you've got a good line and game plan you'll be fine.

I really don't think RBs should go in the 1st round. The only time an elite RB makes a difference is when you don't have an elite QB. RBs don't win Superbowls.

There isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to create a thinking game with an average back. I'd you've got a good line and game plan you'll be fine.

Seattle probably doesn't win the Super Bowl or go back without Marshawn Lynch. Probably would have won this year if they had let him do what he does. 

Not that I'm advocating for a back in the first round. I'm really just pointing out the exception.

Seattle probably doesn't win the Super Bowl or go back without Marshawn Lynch. Probably would have won this year if they had let him do what he does. 

Not that I'm advocating for a back in the first round. I'm really just pointing out the exception.

There is always an exception ... if we are going to gamble on a player, I would rather gamble on a high upside risk at a different position. 

There is always an exception ... if we are going to gamble on a player, I would rather gamble on a high upside risk at a different position. 

I wasn't talking about Melvin Gordon. I was talking about how important Marshawn Lynch is to his team.

True.

But like I said, it comes down to the QB. As much as I like Wilson, he's a franchise game manager. Good, but not a guy who wins Championships for you as we saw.

Unless you've got Russell Wilson or Alex Smith, your shouldn't need a 1st round RB.

You know who sits about 10 feet away from Grigson during the draft.

Jim Irsay.

If Grigson drafts a RB in the first round,  it's with Irsay's approval.

I disagree ... I don't think the choice takes Irsay's "approval".  IMO since Irsay took the step back from the process he has allowed the GM to have the freedom to build the team how he (the GM) sees fit.  Im sure that Grigson runs all big decisions by Irsay.  I think Irsay made the Luck decision, and gave Grigson a big picture idea of what he wanted like "more balanced, and stop the run"  but other than that unless it is just something that for some reason Irsay thinks is completely ridiculous I think he pretty much gives Grigson free rein to do what he thinks is best.  IMO even if he (Irsay) personally would not choose Gordon (or think it isn't the best choice) I don't think it is so egregious that he would veto it. But, if Grigson skips Defense & OL in favor of Gordon, and we look poor in either of those areas again this year I can see Irsay pointing to that pick (among other things) when he puts Grigson on the "hot seat".

You know who sits about 10 feet away from Grigson during the draft.

Jim Irsay.

If Grigson drafts a RB in the first round, it's with Irsay's approval.

Your obvious note aside how would you feel if we spend ANOTHER 1st on a RB? Knowing that our RT position is in shambles and the interior of the line (ended well, but ultimately in Flux all season) still in shambles? Also let's not ignore but this again wastes an opportunity to possibly get a playmaker on defense. You know the one part of our team that has routinely let people take advantage of them in the playoffs.

Imo I completely agree. If Grigson takes an undervalued position that has marginal talent difference in one of the deepest RB drafts in recent memory, he should be fired. If Irsay agrees then we have an even bigger problem because that is quite hypocritical in regards to the "supposed direction" Irsay has told us the organization is going. And I'm a Grigson supporter FYI. But this news worries me highly. Mainly because it's showing a repetition in Grigson assuming the RB position is an extremely integral piece to team success (deduced because he "theoretically" spent 2 1st rounders on a RB). Which is quite asinine and completely opposite of "following the Patriot method" to winning championships as Irsay said.

Saw a sportcenter special on guys getting ready for the combine, and Crockett, the RB from the small college, at Minn. pro day. He was in an offense where he was more a receiver than a RB, and man is he fluid catching the ball. Never lets it get to his body. I would love to see him catching screens, and we could wait to the later rounds.

I disagree ... I don't think the choice takes Irsay's "approval".  IMO since Irsay took the step back from the process he has allowed the GM to have the freedom to build the team how he (the GM) sees fit.  Im sure that Grigson runs all big decisions by Irsay.  I think Irsay made the Luck decision, and gave Grigson a big picture idea of what he wanted like "more balanced, and stop the run"  but other than that unless it is just something that for some reason Irsay thinks is completely ridiculous I think he pretty much gives Grigson free rein to do what he thinks is best.  IMO even if he (Irsay) personally would not choose Gordon (or think it isn't the best choice) I don't think it is so egregious that he would veto it. But, if Grigson skips Defense & OL in favor of Gordon, and we look poor in either of those areas again this year I can see Irsay pointing to that pick (among other things) when he puts Grigson on the "hot seat".

That's all fine....   and I'm not sure I disagree with much.

But the post I was responding to,  said if Grigson takes  RB in the first round,  he should be fired.

I was simply noting I don't think there's much chance of that happening....

That's all fine....   and I'm not sure I disagree with much.

But the post I was responding to,  said if Grigson takes  RB in the first round,  he should be fired.

I was simply noting I don't think there's much chance of that happening....

Agreed, I don't think he will actually be fired if he makes that pick (not right away and for that alone anyway) ... "He should be fired" was just my opinion and a statement on how incredibly stupid of move that pick would be IMO.

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593196391507234816

Oh man anyone else watching Draft Academy?! The #Colts scout had some interesting things to tell Melvin Gordon.

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593197098192928768

Colts scout told Gordon that even though they signed Gore "we are still looking for a RB early, Gore is 30 he only has so long"

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593197628818522113

Colts scout to Gordon "Yes we signed Gore, but that doesn't change our plans to draft a RB."

https://twitter.com/ryandaryk/status/593198366055469057

Melvin Gordon's mom was not impressed that the Colts scout was talking to her son saying " Didn't they just sign Frank Gore?"

I was watching Draft Academy when it happened.  The Colts scout was spending considerable time with Melvin Gordon.

Gordon was talking to his mom and he told her he wouldn't mind being with the Colts at all.  The only thing is I think the 

Ravens may end up selecting him before we do.  We'll see

Why? What does the fact that he is a Wisconsin RB have to do with it?

For the fact that they YEARLY have one of the best, let alone biggest, run blocking OL's in college football. Can you tell me the last good, or even decent, Wisconsin RB to play in the NFL? By no means am I saying that Gordon can't be good, but much like Demarco Murray last year, he's an inflated product due to his OL, as have been quite a few other Wisconsin RB's.

Give him an above average NFL line and he'll probably be fine, but anything less than that and I believe he'll end up underachieving.