Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's some interesting Colts-Melvin Gordon info.

I disagree ... I don't think the choice takes Irsay's "approval".  IMO since Irsay took the step back from the process he has allowed the GM to have the freedom to build the team how he (the GM) sees fit.  Im sure that Grigson runs all big decisions by Irsay.  I think Irsay made the Luck decision, and gave Grigson a big picture idea of what he wanted like "more balanced, and stop the run"  but other than that unless it is just something that for some reason Irsay thinks is completely ridiculous I think he pretty much gives Grigson free rein to do what he thinks is best.  IMO even if he (Irsay) personally would not choose Gordon (or think it isn't the best choice) I don't think it is so egregious that he would veto it. But, if Grigson skips Defense & OL in favor of Gordon, and we look poor in either of those areas again this year I can see Irsay pointing to that pick (among other things) when he puts Grigson on the "hot seat".

Slightly OT.  Polian was on ESPN talking about the draft process as GM, and Irsay's name came up.  Polian said that for years Irsay would come into the draft room two days before the draft (Thursday then when the draft was on Saturdays) and would discuss the board and become familiar with it.

After that day, Irsay said nothing about the draft and stayed out of the process.  I assume its the same with Grigson, but perhaps Jimmy gave Polian more leeway.

I really don't think RBs should go in the 1st round. The only time an elite RB makes a difference is when you don't have an elite QB. RBs don't win Superbowls.

There isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to create a thinking game with an average back. I'd you've got a good line and game plan you'll be fine.

I hate to disagree but I disagree, in part. What we lack on offense is the threat of a good run game. Gore will help that. Granted, we have other needs but I firmly believe that our offense goes to new heights with a good run game. Remember, the defense kept us in the game in the AFC championship until midway thru the 2nd half and the offense kept going 3 and out and putting the defense on the field with short rest.

If we get a RB really early, I hope it's Tevin Coleman...

Exactly, I think the smarter play would be to find a way to get Coleman in the second round. I'm a Hoosier, so I'm a little biased I'm sure, but at the same time I got to watch this guy up close and personal. He was IU's only weapon, facing stacked boxes nearly every down, playing hurt half the season. The guy is a playmaker.

For the fact that they YEARLY have one of the best, let alone biggest, run blocking OL's in college football. Can you tell me the last good, or even decent, Wisconsin RB to play in the NFL? By no means am I saying that Gordon can't be good, but much like Demarco Murray last year, he's an inflated product due to his OL, as have been quite a few other Wisconsin RB's.

Give him an above average NFL line and he'll probably be fine, but anything less than that and I believe he'll end up underachieving.

Yeah, that is some faulty reasoning. Because Ron Dayne or Monte Ball were or are not major NFL players does not mean that Gordon will face the same fate.  He is highly thought off & valued because of his production and measurables - NFL people know who he had in front of him blocking and like him anyway.  Personally I think he will be good and while doubtful he gets to # 29, if he does fall to there I would not be shocked at all to see the Colts grab him.

Yeah, that is some faulty reasoning. Because Ron Dayne or Monte Ball were or are not major NFL players does not mean that Gordon will face the same fate. He is highly thought off & valued because of his production and measurables - NFL people know who he had in front of him blocking and like him anyway. Personally I think he will be good and while doubtful he gets to # 29, if he does fall to there I would not be shocked at all to see the Colts grab him.

Faulty? I'm not seeing where you proved otherwise. The kid is liked - big fn deal, so are hundreds of other draftees. His measurables are nothing special. Yes, his production was great, but so was his OL. I hope he goes to Dallas or Baltimore so he can have a decent career behind a good OL, but no thank you to the Colts drafting him.

Faulty? I'm not seeing where you proved otherwise. The kid is liked - big fn deal, so are hundreds of other draftees. His measurables are nothing special. Yes, his production was great, but so was his OL. I hope he goes to Dallas or Baltimore so he can have a decent career behind a good OL, but no thank you to the Colts drafting him.

Yes faulty. 

Past performance of others (or lack of it) does not mean future failure (or however you want to phrase it) of another. 

Somebody tell Melvin's mom that he'll have a longer career if he splits carries early. That being said, don't want him unless he is absolutely the best player available.

especially if her son has to wait an extra year to make it to free agency at such a short shelf life position...

Yes faulty. 

Past performance of others (or lack of it) does not mean future failure (or however you want to phrase it) of another. 

I appreciate the hypotheticals, however history has yet to prove that right, or wrong, however you want to look at it. Don't get me wrong, as I worded my first post towards Gordon rather harsh and I will rephrase - I wouldn't take a Wisconsin RB in the first round. Gordon is a generously average receiver, and his pass blocking skills leave a lot to be desired. Sorry, but outside of his ability to run behind a massive offensive line, I think his complete skillset is being overlooked by those 2500+ yards rushing. It's a matter of opinion, to which neither of ours really matters, but I would be really hesitant in taking the guy early.

Tevin Coleman is a darter who needs to learn to run with much better tempo, He only knows one speed and that's fast, Cant play like that in the NFL, He wont have gaping holes like he did on his multiple long runs, Otherwise he was getting 2-3 yards primarily because he has little to not shiftiness and he is not a good tackle breaker

Somebody tell Melvin's mom that he'll have a longer career if he splits carries early. That being said, don't want him unless he is absolutely the best player available.

Maybe Melvin's mom would like him to play for the Jaguars....Mom, stick to mothering, don't worry about what team your boy goes to and if he happens to land with a great team like the Colts be happy that sonny will be playing with a great QB like Andrew Luck for atleast the first 4 years of his career. Geez.

Is that your cute or sarcastic imitation?  Look, this board is full of Colt fans who are scared for the Colts playing the Patriots. The Colts day will come just like it did in the past.

Not at all sarcastic, my way if saying your right and changing my mindset