Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You be the GM - If these are the top picks available at #29

Simple question.

If these are the top players available when we pick at #29 then what do you do? Do you pick one or find a trade partner? If you do use #29, then who gets the call?

Ereck Flowers Miami (Fla.) 6'6" 329 OT
Michael Bennett Ohio State 6'2" 293 DT
Tevin Coleman Indiana 5'11" 206 RB
Eli Harold Virginia 6'3" 247 OLB
Carl Davis Iowa 6'5" 320 DT
Kevin Johnson Wake Forest 6'0" 188 CB
Cedric Ogbuehi Texas A&M 6'5" 306 OT
Jaelen Strong Arizona State 6'2" 217 WR
Paul Dawson TCU 6'0" 235 ILB
Benardrick McKinney Mississippi State 6'4" 246 ILB
Tre' Jackson Florida State 6'4" 330 OG
Jay Ajayi Boise State 6'0" 221 RB
A.J. Cann South Carolina 6'3" 313 OG
Eric Kendricks UCLA 6'0" 232 ILB
Marcus Peters Washington 6'0" 197 CB
Phillip Dorsett Miami (Fla.) 5'10" 185 WR
Stephone Anthony Clemson 6'3" 243 ILB
Duke Johnson Miami (Fla.) 5'9" 207 RB
Preston Smith Mississippi State 6'5" 271 DE
P.J. Williams Florida State 6'0" 194 CB
Grady Jarrett Clemson 6'1" 304 DT
Rob Havenstein Wisconsin 6'7" 321 OT
Dorial Green-Beckham Oklahoma 6'5" 237 WR

I did a mock draft and once I reached #29, these players were left in the top 50.

For the record, I would take Ereck Flowers and not even blink.

This being the case I would take the risk, and trade back a few picks to the early part of the 2nd, and pick up another pick in the 3rd or 4th. Then with the 2nd round pick I would take either Kendricks, Johnson, or Davis whoever is still available.

This being the case I would take the risk, and trade back a few picks to the early part of the 2nd, and pick up another pick in the 3rd or 4th. Then with the 2nd round pick I would take either Kendricks, Johnson, or Davis whoever is still available.

That would not be a bad plan at all. That said, having a first round pick is valuable, because of the 5th year option.

I haven't spent a lot of time watching film on this rookie class, but studying mocks and draft projections, it seems like Ereck Flowers is the closest thing to a surefire 1st round prospect left on the board. RT is definitely a need, and Flowers seems like a great value pick here.

I would prefer a defensive player, myself, so you would also have to consider guys like Carl Davis or Marcus Peters.

With the "mandate to stop the run", I expect Ryan Grigson to place an emphasis on the defensive front seven early in this draft.

In this scenario I would probably pick DT Carl Davis, and project him into free-agent departure Cory Redding's role.

I haven't spent a lot of time watching film on this rookie class, but studying mocks and draft projections, it seems like Ereck Flowers is the closest thing to a surefire 1st round prospect left on the board. RT is definitely a need, and Flowers seems like a great value pick here.

I would prefer a defensive player, myself, so you would also have to consider guys like Carl Davis or Marcus Peters.

With the "mandate to stop the run", I expect Ryan Grigson to place an emphasis on the defensive front seven early in this draft.

In this scenario I would probably pick DT Carl Davis, and project him into free-agent departure Cory Redding's role.

D I T T O ! ... If these were the "only" choices left ... Carl Davis in a heartbeat! Then to S & ILB the next rounds, IMO.

ONE

Simple question.

If these are the top players available when we pick at #29 then what do you do? Do you pick one or find a trade partner? If you do use #29, then who gets the call?

I did a mock draft and once I reached #29, these players were left in the top 50.

Out of the players you list, and I count 23,  right now only 6 of those are 1st rounders for me.

They'd be Flowers, Harold, Davis, Johnson, Strong and Peters.

That's it.   The rest are likely 2nd rounders except for Havenstein, who I think is a low 3rd rounder or maybe even a high 4th rounder.

I think PJ Williams might slide into the 3rd or even the 4th round based on his recent legal issues.

Out of the players you list, and I count 23, right now only 6 of those are 1st rounders for me.

They'd be Flowers, Harold, Davis, Johnson, Strong and Peters.

That's it. The rest are likely 2nd rounders except for Havenstein, who I think is a low 3rd rounder or maybe even a high 4th rounder.

I think PJ Williams might slide into the 3rd or even the 4th round based on his recent legal issues.

We're picking at 29, of course there won't be 23 first round grade options.

I think trading out of the first round is a huge mistake. What the Colts need is a top quality player. Stop messing around with what might be available later and take a top notch player in the first. Carl Davis; Kendricks; a top CB; or a can't miss OT.

I want a plugger in the middle of the D, but either way, take the quality, long term player and keep them for 5 years.

Edited by 21isSuperman

We're picking at 29, of course there won't be 23 first round grade options.

I understand....   I was just pointing out that a large number of them were not serious options to use at pick 29.

It's not just that they're 2nd round guys,  many of them were likely not high second round guys and have little chance of going in the first for most any team....

Simple question.

Carl Davis, Kevin Johnson, Jaelen Strong, Eric Kendricks are the only ones that I have a first round grade on and are fits on our team. To me, take your pick of those four. In order, I'd probably go Kendricks, Davis, Strong, Johnson. Edit: I'd probably be okay with Flowers, but I don't like his knee issue.

PJ Williams and DGB are pretty much off my board. I wouldn't draft them unless they fell to the fifth round, which won't happen. Peters is probably off the board also.

A few of those guys I don't want, like McKinney and Preston Smith. McKinney just isn't that good, IMO, and Smith would fit much better in a Wade Phillips style 3-4. He's not a good enough playmaker / gap shooter to warrant taking him and fitting into our front without regard for his size.

If he has matured, and really gotten his life in order, we may look back on the 2015 draft and truly regret passing on Dorial Green-Beckham.

If he is available, he clearly has the most talent, but also the most risk. He seems like a mix of AJ Green and Josh Gordon on the field. Plus, he could learn from Andre Johnson and TY HIlton while having Luck throwing him the ball. 

Wide receiver is not a need, but it is not that often you have a chance to draft a player as talented as Green-Beckham. 

If he has matured, and really gotten his life in order, we may look back on the 2015 draft and truly regret passing on Dorial Green-Beckham.

If he is available, he clearly has the most talent, but also the most risk. He seems like a mix of AJ Green and Josh Gordon on the field. Plus, he could learn from Andre Johnson and TY HIlton while having Luck throwing him the ball. 

Wide receiver is not a need, but it is not that often you have a chance to draft a player as talented as Green-Beckham. 

In the first???

What if he hasn't matured? 

In the first???

What if he hasn't matured? 

Then I would not take him. The interview process would influence my opinion of DGB. I have no idea how that process is playing out. Personally, I would not take him, he scares the daylights out of me.

My point (contrary to the question asked) is that DGB has the most talent of those on the list, really top 10 talent. IF he can get his priorities in order and realize what a tremendous opportunity he has available to him, I think he could end up being one of the top players taken in this draft. 

To answer the question, I would take Marcus Peters without any hesitation. 

Then I would not take him. The interview process would influence my opinion of DGB. I have no idea how that process is playing out. Personally, I would not take him, he scares the daylights out of me.

My point (contrary to the question asked) is that DGB has the most talent of those on the list, really top 10 talent. IF he can get his priorities in order and realize what a tremendous opportunity he has available to him, I think he could end up being one of the top players taken in this draft. 

To answer the question, I would take Marcus Peters without any hesitation. 

My objection is that the interview process is going to allow him to show you what he wants you to see. You can't know that he has his head on straight by an interview; that's going to take time. 

Because of his issues, I haven't even watched DGB play. I don't think he's on the Colts board, period. For a guy like him, Dez Bryant is best case scenario, and that hasn't been all roses and rainbows. Worst case scenario, and far more likely, is Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon. Based on Grigson's comments, I think the Colts feel burned by some off-field stuff over the past couple years, and don't want to invite more trouble right now. Both Grigson and Pagano are trying to earn contract extensions, and can't afford to have their team fractured in any way. To me, DGB is just too much of a risk, and you can't mitigate that risk with a pre-draft visit. (Same feeling on Peters, by the way.)

But everything I've read/heard about him says he's an elite talent, and if he keeps his head on straight, he'll be outstanding. 

My objection is that the interview process is going to allow him to show you what he wants you to see. You can't know that he has his head on straight by an interview; that's going to take time. 

Because of his issues, I haven't even watched DGB play. I don't think he's on the Colts board, period. For a guy like him, Dez Bryant is best case scenario, and that hasn't been all roses and rainbows. Worst case scenario, and far more likely, is Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon. Based on Grigson's comments, I think the Colts feel burned by some off-field stuff over the past couple years, and don't want to invite more trouble right now. Both Grigson and Pagano are trying to earn contract extensions, and can't afford to have their team fractured in any way. To me, DGB is just too much of a risk, and you can't mitigate that risk with a pre-draft visit. (Same feeling on Peters, by the way.)

But everything I've read/heard about him says he's an elite talent, and if he keeps his head on straight, he'll be outstanding. 

DGB is someone that I think the Bengals would take a chance on. They have taken chances on players with off-field issues in the past and the idea of pairing him up with AJ Green and M. Sanu might be too good to pass up.

I agree. There are risks you can take...and risks that just aren't worth it. We are on the cusp of something special and I don't think the risk reward is sufficient to take the type of chance that we are talking about. Nothing is a sure bet but we want people to contribute and keep the momentum moving forward. Anything like a lost pick we invested in Trent in back to back years has the potential to slow down that momentum we are building. We need that life blood that is the draft to feed our monster.