Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McCourty excepted to re-sign with Pats.

We as fans might feel like we missed out here, but all I've heard is that the Colts weren't that serious about looking into the McCourty possibility. There might have been interest but I kept seeing tweets saying that there isn't too much.

ugh. we keep missing out. heres hoping we can still get Dline help

From everything I can gather the Colts didn't want him. So I guess from their standpoint they didn't miss out. I think the Colts will get every guy they want, these people they are missing weren't targets to begin with.

if revis restructures it frees up a bunch of space

Do you realize how much money will be dedicated to their secondary if they retain Revis, even on a restructured deal? McCourty is making 10 mil per year, Browner is making 5 mil per year, and Revis will most likely make about 12 mil per year.

Not to mention they are gonna have to shell out some big bucks for Jamie Collins, Donta Hightower, and Chandler Jones soon.

From everything I can gather the Colts didn't want him. So I guess from their standpoint they didn't miss out. I think the Colts will get every guy they want, these people they are missing weren't targets to begin with.

well we still go after delmas

So happy to read this morning that the Pats signed McCourty, http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12446830/safety-devin-mccourty-re-sign-new-england-patriots-according-report

The price seems steep at $9.5 but he has been worth it to us in our secondary. I really hope Revis is next ...

Superman and dw49 - can you guys weigh in at some point on the structure of this deal and the cap hits, bonus money, etc?

From Mike Reiss,

As it turns out, the Patriots' offer wasn't even the richest McCourty was considering, but it was enough to have him agree to terms, because staying in New England was his first choice if things were close enough.

McCourty's $9.5 million per year average ranks him as the second-highest paid safety in the NFL, with the figures coming in higher than our projected contract for him. This reflects a robust market for McCourty and how serious the other suitors were in their pursuit. It also reflects how the Patriots stepped up to make sure one of their own wouldn't get away by rewarding him with a very strong deal.

To the bolded - that is what it will take to retain Revis. Pats have to be close enough with the Jets and whoever else to keep him.

If we do not sign 1 new safety to the team I hope we grab 2 in the draft. If we bring back Brown and Adams we should aim for Tartt and Amos. But we can still make a run at Moore if I'm not mistaken. And he won't cost us 9.5 mil.

Do you realize how much money will be dedicated to their secondary if they retain Revis, even on a restructured deal? McCourty is making 10 mil per year, Browner is making 5 mil per year, and Revis will most likely make about 12 mil per year.

Not to mention they are gonna have to shell out some big bucks for Jamie Collins, Donta Hightower, and Chandler Jones soon.

They have a very young team. Add to the fact they let Wilfork go and opened up room and they have the 2nd best qb in the league getting paid like the 10 or 12th best qb in the league and they are going to be ok. Honestly they will be just fine. That secondary if they lock up Revis is about to be the best in the league now that Seattle has lost Maxwell. I do think people can run on them though....but as long as their offense has a healthy Gronk and OL, Tom will have them competing for championships. I'd expect they will even see if AJ if released would come there on the cheap and play for a SB. They aren't going anywhere and their SB window has just opened up again. Honestly this team will be a road block for us if we don't learn how to beat them for several more years. Just like Peyton had to learn to beat Bill...so does Luck....until then...we will be hoping teams like Baltimore can knock them off for us.

I will say that I do think this means they expect Revis to go to the highest bidder....honestly McCourty is good...but he is replacable in Bills system....a player like Revis isn't (easily). I think they expect Revis to go...so they re-signed their guy and will look to fill Revis's void....honestly unless Revis is giving them a discount it makes more sense this way...but they did have the second youngest team in the NFL so they can work it out...but will be stretched thin.

I will say that I do think this means they expect Revis to go to the highest bidder....honestly McCourty is good...but he is replacable in Bills system....a player like Revis isn't (easily). I think they expect Revis to go...so they re-signed their guy and will look to fill Revis's void....honestly unless Revis is giving them a discount it makes more sense this way...but they did have the second youngest team in the NFL so they can work it out...but will be stretched thin.

That could be it or they could have a deal with Revis in place which then allowed them to extend to McCourty. I really did not believe Bill would pay that much for a safety so I think it indicates that he wants to keep this secondary together. McCourty said after he signed that he expects Revis to be a Patriot as well. Not sure if that means anything one way or the other but I am hopeful that they get Revis done. Secondary is really the only unit they are paying big money on and it is worth it given the championship run was predicated on defending the pass. After Revis, there are no other huge needs on this team to spend on. They will have to address RB which I expect them to do cheaply, add depth to LB, a DT maybe and an OL. All of this can be addressed thru the draft for the most part or low cost FAs.

That could be it or they could have a deal with Revis in place which then allowed them to extend to McCourty. I really did not believe Bill would pay that much for a safety so I think it indicates that he wants to keep this secondary together. McCourty said after he signed that he expects Revis to be a Patriot as well. Not sure if that means anything one way or the other but I am hopeful that they get Revis done. Secondary is really the only unit they are paying big money on and it is worth it given the championship run was predicated on defending the pass. After Revis, there are no other huge needs on this team to spend on. They will have to address RB which I expect them to do cheaply, add depth to LB, a DT maybe and an OL. All of this can be addressed thru the draft for the most part or low cost FAs.

I agree that secondary is as strong as you guys have had since your last SB. I think you can plug holes in other areas and be sufficient. It is why I REALLY feel a need to get a strong running game for us. Even with Wilfork I thought you guys could be had on the ground....whether it be Baltimore or NYs success on the ground its the old keep the ball away from Tom and pound that front. Not that you can only win running but it certainly takes pressure off the passing game and well making those smaller guys in the secondary tackle is always a good way to tenderize them before taking shots at them. You guys are young and talented...if you retain Revis and make some targeted signings here and there then I think you will have every chance in the world to repeat. You had a GREAT offseason last year...to bring it back would be almost a bigger coup.

I just can't see many teams winning by trying to pass into the teeth of that defense. I just hope some way we can upgrade our line and bring in a back that we can lean on....then let Luck pick away at that defense instead of trying to carry us through it.

I'm glad they've brought him back. It looked and sounded kind of ugly there for a little bit and I started wondering if McCourty's demands were just too far beyond what Belichick puts on a value for his position (as opposed to the actual player). That's been their philosophy for a long time... putting max values on positions, not players. 

I do think this actually ups their chances of resigning Revis, as opposed to making it harder. Just seems like the secondary was a pretty tight unit and I think it will matter to Revis that McCourty is back.