Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Hole at the WR position

ProblChld32

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson and Cobb make the most sense, and Dez could be available for 2 1st round picks.

Deep WR draft this year so he shouldn't be hard to replace.

Hahhaah . . . Dez "shouldn't be hard to replace." You're hysterical.

Also, he's only available for 2 first round picks in your mind, not reality.

It appears that every year (the past three years) there has been a hole at receiver. We have attempted to fill the hole with Avery, DHB, and Nicks. Guys like Bowe, Hartline, Britt, etc.. will lead us to continue with this problem year-after-year. They are not difference makers.

It appears that to fix this issue we either go after a guy like Cobb, or Maclin, who are young, explosive, and difference makers, or we draft a receiver to fill the hole. Spending money on J.A.G. (Just Another Guy) is not wise use of our money.

It appears that every year (the past three years) there has been a hole at receiver. We have attempted to fill the hole with Avery, DHB, and Nicks. Guys like Bowe, Hartline, Britt, etc.. will lead us to continue with this problem year-after-year. They are not difference makers.

It appears that to fix this issue we either go after a guy like Cobb, or Maclin, who are young, explosive, and difference makers, or we draft a receiver to fill the hole. Spending money on J.A.G. (Just Another Guy) is not wise use of our money.

Yeah, I'm over the stopgap route, also. You'd think it would be a good option for our team, but it hasn't worked for whatever reason. If we really want to upgrade the WR corps, then sign a guy who can start and play at a high level right now. Or just draft a guy who can be a playmaker and work his way into the rotation over time (lots of those in this draft). 

Get one in FA and the draft.

If we go this route again, then a guy like Andre Johnson comes to mind. Simply because we would need him to move on in a couple of years to get production and maximum output from the drafted receiver.

This approach would most likely rule out guys like Cobb or Maclin (if available), because these guys would be longer term options and costly.

If we go this route again, then a guy like Andre Johnson comes to mind. Simply because we would need him to move on in a couple of years to get production and maximum output from the drafted receiver.

This approach would most likely rule out guys like Cobb or Maclin (if available), because these guys would be longer term options and costly.

That is exactly my theory. We don't need a ten million dollar receiver. Whether it's Andre or someone else, they shouldn't cost much.

That is exactly my theory. We don't need a ten million dollar receiver. Whether it's Andre or someone else, they shouldn't cost much.

I agree. :thmup: 

But if not Johnson, then who else? That's where I may see a potential problem because "someone else" could equal guys like Nicks, Avery, or DHB, which has already shown to be an issue. It hasn't worked for us as we'd hoped it would.

Yeah, I'm over the stopgap route, also. You'd think it would be a good option for our team, but it hasn't worked for whatever reason. If we really want to upgrade the WR corps, then sign a guy who can start and play at a high level right now. Or just draft a guy who can be a playmaker and work his way into the rotation over time (lots of those in this draft). 

Unfortunately, there just aren't really any F/A WR's that can make that big of an impact other than Andre Johnson. And given that the Colts have to start thinking about paying guys like Luck and TY, another stopgap type of player may be more beneficial to the team. I just hope that this one will finally produce some results.

Unfortunately, there just aren't really any F/A WR's that can make that big of an impact other than Andre Johnson. And given that the Colts have to start thinking about paying guys like Luck and TY, another stopgap type of player may be more beneficial to the team. I just hope that this one will finally produce some results.

Oh, I disagree. There are several WRs that should be on the market in a few days: Maclin, Cobb, Crabtree, T. Smith, in no particular order, would all have a big impact on our passing game. If we wanted one, we could have one.

I do agree with you that the money is probably prohibitive, given our projections. Andre Johnson is probably the best fit, in terms of role and presumed cost.

I bet they draft DGB!

All the WR rankings for this year's draft say he'd easily be a high 1st round pick if it weren't for character concerns amongst NFL GMs. I'd be all for Grigs pulling the trigger on this guy, but I'd also be reluctant to give 1st round money to a player who got kicked off his college team. That being said, a 6'6" 220lbs target is exactly Andrew needs!

We need a front-line receiver and some experienced depth.  Resign Nicks at half of his $4 mil salary and take Marshall for a 5th or 6th, or Johnson as a free agent.  Speaking of receivers, remember Bradshaw is a great short receiver who runs well after the catch and only makes $850 K.  Resign him for $500 K + $100 K per game.  If he plays six games, you'll get your money's worth! 

I would expect the Colts will sign a FA wide receiver and also draft a wide receiver as well.

Yes.  This is my guess as well.  If a guy they really like is there at 29, I don't think they hesitate to take that player in the first round. 

Yes.  This is my guess as well.  If a guy they really like is there at 29, I don't think they hesitate to take that player in the first round. 

I'm hoping and praying there will not be a WR they like at 29.    Please, not in the first round.

I'm hoping for OL or DL in the first round.    I think those are our top two priorities, and fortunately,  those are strengths of this draft.

We need a front-line receiver and some experienced depth.  Resign Nicks at half of his $4 mil salary and take Marshall for a 5th or 6th, or Johnson as a free agent.  Speaking of receivers, remember Bradshaw is a great short receiver who runs well after the catch and only makes $850 K.  Resign him for $500 K + $100 K per game.  If he plays six games, you'll get your money's worth! 

Marshall is gone.

Traded to the NY Jets for a 5th round pick.

I'm hoping and praying there will not be a WR they like at 29.    Please, not in the first round.

I'm hoping for OL or DL in the first round.    I think those are our top two priorities, and fortunately,  those are strengths of this draft.

WR is also supposed to be a strength position as well.

Personally I would not get caught up with where a player is drafted or what position should be addressed.  They have holes to fill all over the roster and if a WR is rated highest at # 29, they take him.  Thinking Jaelan Strong would be ideal given what he did to the Cardinal this year. 

Cobb would b great but Oakland will over pay him. Hartline would b a possession wr only which we lost now that reggie is done, Harry Douglas would b worth a shot. Johnson is to washed up,bowe sux bad, nicks for cheap, Crabtree will never b good, Torrey smith only runs fly routes and will b over paid by crappie team, Britt sux and Maclin will go back to Philly after mccoy trade is official. Draft wr for sure.

Personally I would not get caught up with where a player is drafted or what position should be addressed.  They have holes to fill all over the roster and if a WR is rated highest at # 29, they take him. 

this.  we are in the position to take the BPA overall at pretty much any position.  the only things we dont need are tight end and quarter back.  im not exactly hoping for a WR either but it could still pan out to be the best pick.

Oh, I disagree. There are several WRs that should be on the market in a few days: Maclin, Cobb, Crabtree, T. Smith, in no particular order, would all have a big impact on our passing game. If we wanted one, we could have one.

I do agree with you that the money is probably prohibitive, given our projections. Andre Johnson is probably the best fit, in terms of role and presumed cost.

Are any of those guys a true number one to complement TY? Not really. Not trying to be picky here but Cobb is a slot guy, . Crabtree is "mediocre". Andre Johnson is really the only one besides Maclin who can be a legit number one given his past as one.

WR is also supposed to be a strength position as well.

Personally I would not get caught up with where a player is drafted or what position should be addressed.  They have holes to fill all over the roster and if a WR is rated highest at # 29, they take him.  Thinking Jaelan Strong would be ideal given what he did to the Cardinal this year. 

Strong is among my favorite WR's.    As a Stanford guy,  I saw him up close three times in two years and love him.

And yes,  WR is clearly a strength of the draft.    But beyond addressing both lines,  I want the Colts to focus on defense.

At some point we have to commit to getting younger, faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled on defense.    If we only pay lip service to it I fear more games like we had this year against Pittsburgh and New England (x2).....  

In year 4 of building this team it feels like it's time for some defense at the draft.    Just my two cents (and often not even worth that much!)

Are any of those guys a true number one to complement TY? Not really. Not trying to be picky here but Cobb is a slot guy, . Crabtree is "mediocre". Andre Johnson is really the only one besides Maclin who can be a legit number one given his past as one.

Cobb is a great fit, I think. Hilton doesn't play the slot that often, Cobb would be the full time slot receiver. Hilton and Moncrief on the outside. And Cobb is probably the best slot in the game right now. 

Crabtree is better than mediocre, but more than that, he'd be a reliable veteran performer. You want someone who can line up and produce from jump, I think that's Crabtree. And he's been in a similar offense with Harbaugh and Roman.

And of course, Maclin, which you seem to agree with.

Cobb is a great fit, I think. Hilton doesn't play the slot that often, Cobb would be the full time slot receiver. Hilton and Moncrief on the outside. And Cobb is probably the best slot in the game right now. 

Crabtree is better than mediocre, but more than that, he'd be a reliable veteran performer. You want someone who can line up and produce from jump, I think that's Crabtree. And he's been in a similar offense with Harbaugh and Roman.

And of course, Maclin, which you seem to agree with.

You must have a lot of faith in Moncrief. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good player but he hasn't proven himself to be that true, #2 guy opposite TY. Cobb would indeed by the perfect slot WR for us but we have Duron Carter and Fleener who can both line up in that spot.

A reliable veteran performer is not what this offense needs. The Colts tried that last year with Nicks and it didn't work out. They don't need another solid possession WR. They need a player that can make game-changing plays and dictate how a defense plays them.

New England proved that if you double TY, there isn't much else there at WR for the Colts. Give me Andre Johnson that can still light it up against most corners 1 on 1. Let Moncrief play the 3 and Carter play the 4. Or better yet, do a rotation to keep the legs fresh and really punish defenses.

You must have a lot of faith in Moncrief. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good player but he hasn't proven himself to be that true, #2 guy opposite TY. Cobb would indeed by the perfect slot WR for us but we have Duron Carter and Fleener who can both line up in that spot.

A reliable veteran performer is not what this offense needs. The Colts tried that last year with Nicks and it didn't work out. They don't need another solid possession WR. They need a player that can make game-changing plays and dictate how a defense plays them.

New England proved that if you double TY, there isn't much else there at WR for the Colts. Give me Andre Johnson that can still light it up against most corners 1 on 1. Let Moncrief play the 3 and Carter play the 4. Or better yet, do a rotation to keep the legs fresh and really punish defenses.

If you think Nicks was "reliable" last season, then we differ on the meaning of the word. I think all the guys I mentioned would be much better than Nicks.

We also differ on what the team needs. Both Hilton and Moncrief are game-changing WRs who dictate how the defense plays. As Moncrief gets better, that will be more obvious. And the way the Pats played our passing game was only possible because Revis erased Moncrief, and they bracketed Hilton. Add a third guy who can get separation in the middle of the field, and it changes the way they defend our offense entirely. 

I'd be fine with AJ, by the way. I'm just saying, I think the top notch FA receivers would definitely help our offense.

What if we re-sign Nicks and draft a receiver?

Guys in FA that are better than Nicks:

1. Cobb

2. Maclin

3. Andre Johnson

4. Crabtree = Nicks, IMO

If we don't get any of those guys in FA, we are better off re-signing Nicks, who already knows the system and had shown improvement as the season went on. He was good in the Cinci and Denver playoff games. (No one was good vs. NE).