Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor number 2

gnet550

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean you just straight up omitted DDB from the Colts history book huh and by DDB I mean "Damnit" Donald Brown.

As for using a 1st in a runner, Grigson traded to get Richardson. It was a gamble on a young runner who actually did quite well as a rookie. Unfortunately It didnt pan out. He traded a 2 for Vontae, which wasnt immediately praised around here, but it worked out. It was a gamble, some you win others you dont.

He's only drafted Ballard, Williams and Tipton with extremely late picks. Id trust his judgment if he were to go RB in the 1st. Aside from T-Rich, Grigs has been money IMO.

Cool

We've spent 3 first rounders in the last 9 years on RBs, let's not make that 4 in 10. 

I'm not big on giving 8+ million a year to a free safety either.

Honestly, in my professional opinion, RB is the least important position on offense, and Safety is the least important position on defense.

While I can't argue your claims on RB (I do feel like may belittle the position too much, but that is moot) how can you even come close to Safety being the least important on defense?  Imo of course the defense has no position that is of less importance as that side of the ball must always have a unit of good players.  But Safety isn't even close to being unimportant...  Especially how they are played now a days.  They cover TE's, and RB's, they create numbers advantages in 8 or 9 man boxes, they are center fielders and give you numbers on the back end.  

The thing with defense is you have to stop someone that already knows what they want to do.  So in order to use your advantage you must utilize the numbers of active players in comparison to the offense to defend a scheme.  Safeties offer that key part to the equation.  And that is talking just strictly basic stripped down football...  

Just ask your self this:  If you have a weak front 7 who do you put into the box to compensate?  If you have a weak man coverage unit who do you sit in lanes while playing zone?  If your LB's can't cover the athletic TE who do you put on it instead?  A great safety can change a defense dramatically...

Apparently the colts brass are quite high on Dewey Mcdonald back there, I wouldnt be opposed to bringing Mike Adams back either so long as there is a plan for someone to succeed him the year after,.. He was a pro-bowl caliber safety last year.

Don't forget Delano Howell as well. We were quite high on him before he went on IR before the start of last season...

IMO we shouldnt break the bank for a FS like McCourty, Adams and Howell would be a fine pairing, with Adams getting some rotation. Like some people above have mentioned, there are more important areas of need for us than FS. (Notably ILB, OLB & OL)

we have seen nothing from Howell or McDonald that shows they will he a good pairing this idea that s isn't important is a joke sure you don't need the best but you can't just throw anyone back there and have a great D KC, NE, Sea all have good S play even great D in the past like BAL and PIT did too

Man if we are able to Land McCourty do you know how much that changes the Defense? the Secondary becomes that much better. Chances of us landing him is gonna be hard . But i really hope we are able to.

You might as well forget about McCourty

While I can't argue your claims on RB (I do feel like may belittle the position too much, but that is moot) how can you even come close to Safety being the least important on defense?  Imo of course the defense has no position that is of less importance as that side of the ball must always have a unit of good players.  But Safety isn't even close to being unimportant...  Especially how they are played now a days.  They cover TE's, and RB's, they create numbers advantages in 8 or 9 man boxes, they are center fielders and give you numbers on the back end.  

The thing with defense is you have to stop someone that already knows what they want to do.  So in order to use your advantage you must utilize the numbers of active players in comparison to the offense to defend a scheme.  Safeties offer that key part to the equation.  And that is talking just strictly basic stripped down football...  

Just ask your self this:  If you have a weak front 7 who do you put into the box to compensate?  If you have a weak man coverage unit who do you sit in lanes while playing zone?  If your LB's can't cover the athletic TE who do you put on it instead?  A great safety can change a defense dramatically...

I agree to a point, but I just feel that safety is something of a plug and play position. If your front seven can't stop the run, and you have to rely on a safety to do so, you've already lost. Not to undermine the position, but all things equal, I'd take the dominant DT, DE, LB, or CB over a dominant safety. 

Would you rather have JJ Watt or Eric Weddle?

We've spent 3 first rounders in the last 9 years on RBs, let's not make that 4 in 10. 

Honestly, in my professional opinion, RB is the least important position on offense, and Safety is the least important position on defense.

In my professional opinion, you couldnt be more wrong! I keep hearing how the running back is devalued, but if you look at Seattle they have one of the best young qb's in the game, who is more important? The beast! Brady didn't beat us, Blount did! We need to quit spouting out the same stuff people are saying and watch the game! If you have a great oline yes a 4th or 5th round runner will do great, but if you get a special back he can be more impactful than a qb because he impact the passing and the run game. Polian knew this, Irsay know's this and I hope Grigson knows this. That is why the trade for Richardson was made. He failed, but the idea was right. Put a prime running back with Luck and he will even make the defense better,  ie time of possesion, more rested defense when they hit the field. Now you have REAL play action, the rushers slow down , the oline looks better but it's really just one guy. I think this draft has some of those guys up top, and we would be foolish to pass on them. The boom Herron's of the world can't do this, I'm sorry but they can't. I know many don't want to believe it but that line that played the last three games had an outstanding back, we would never talk about the oline again we'd be fine!

Lol tell that to Seattle

Fingers crossed on McCourty but I don't see much in Gurley or Gordon. Gordon gives me the same reservations as Richardson in the sense that, everyone loved Richardson 100x more after Marcus Lattimore went down and people jumped onto the Trent bandwagon, much like how everyone seems to love Gordon much more now that Gurley is out. Gurley seems like a good back but he seemed to always have some nagging injury. I'd be extremely cautious about selecting a running back in the first round, especially a running back that may be out the whole first year.

Richardson blew up in college because he juked out a freshman against Mississippi and made all the highlight reels. Then he got to the NFL and he got fat and slow and didn't take things seriously.

I feel there is too much being made of *not* taking a RB in the first round given that we're picking at the end of the first round.  Like always it will come down to who is left on the board.

If it's a choice between their highest rated RB in the draft and their 6th rated pass rusher they may very well go with the RB.  Especially if they feel that player can be a game changer and they have them rated much higher than anybody else that's left on the board.  Gotta go with the value on that pick and not reach for a position of need (except of course it wouldn't make sense to pick a QB -- gotta pick somebody who will actually play).

I suspect there will be a run on running backs starting late in the first or early in the second round -- with the top 5 taken before our 2nd round pick.  I don't think they will take one at 29 but I also don't automatically think it would be a mistake if they did, especially if they addressed the RG position with a solid vet in FA.

I agree to a point, but I just feel that safety is something of a plug and play position. If your front seven can't stop the run, and you have to rely on a safety to do so, you've already lost. Not to undermine the position, but all things equal, I'd take the dominant DT, DE, LB, or CB over a dominant safety. 

Agree to disagree.  I think you need more than just anyone back there playing safety.  I'll agree that I would take a dominant DT or LB but I see CB and DE as the same importance as a safety.

The comparison you make isn't fair.  Not even close.  Let's take say Polamalu (in his very short window of prime) or JJ Watt?  Polamalu created more turnovers and game changing plays in a single game that just seemed unreal.  A lot like JJ Watt.  But again even that comparison is totally unfair as Watt might possibly be one of the greatest that has ever played the game.  His dominance rivals the great LT.

McCourty would be a smart signing at FS for the Colts. We wouldn't have to bring back Mike Adams since he is up in age anyways. Not to mention we'd also be taking away a very good player from our biggest threat from a Super Bowl. As long as we don't pay Devin north of 8 mil per year I'd be good with the signing.

We still need help on the front 7, and I hope Tamba Hali or Haloti Ngata are options to bring in.

At RB I'd rather have us go with Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah, or David Cobb in rounds 3 and 4.

What do you mean, we wouldn't "have to" bring back Mike Adams, as if that isn't something the Colts want to do? All the guy did was play like a Pro Bower--oh, that's right. At 34 years old, he's obviously not the long-term answer, but that also doesn't mean he doesn't still have another Pro Bowl season or 2 left in him.

Mccourty should be a target. Anytime you gain while your nemesis gains a loss does help in the overall scheme of things.

I read that New England is strapped for cash primarily due to the Revis situation. Hopefully while they're preoccupied with him we can swoop in for McCourty.

Does anyone know if New England can afford to keep both, or where they stand in terms of re-signing McCourty?

Denver thought that with getting Talib...then NE 1 uped them with Revis. Careful what you wish for....NE probably pull off some crazy trade and end up with Byrd or something.

Also I think there is more value in the middle rounds at RB than basically the first rd if we were to try to get one of the two. As cheap as RBs are in FA I just don't see us spending another high pick on a rb....besides if Grigson did that and missed again....ouch I think he would be signing his own pink slip.

Fingers crossed on McCourty but I don't see much in Gurley or Gordon. Gordon gives me the same reservations as Richardson in the sense that, everyone loved Richardson 100x more after Marcus Lattimore went down and people jumped onto the Trent bandwagon, much like how everyone seems to love Gordon much more now that Gurley is out. Gurley seems like a good back but he seemed to always have some nagging injury. I'd be extremely cautious about selecting a running back in the first round, especially a running back that may be out the whole first year.

This is my worry with both of these guys.  I can only hope that if we draft one in the first round that I'm totally wrong.  

I disagree, it's not as much about stopping the run as it is about coverage.  Dominate safeties help your CB's shut down receivers.  Richard Sherman credits his success in part due to the safties behind him allowing him to keep playing aggressive.  

Not that dominate front 7 wouldn't help things but I don't think you can overlook safety.  

Agree to disagree.  I think you need more than just anyone back there playing safety.  I'll agree that I would take a dominant DT or LB but I see CB and DE as the same importance as a safety.

The comparison you make isn't fair.  Not even close.  Let's take say Polamalu (in his very short window of prime) or JJ Watt?  Polamalu created more turnovers and game changing plays in a single game that just seemed unreal.  A lot like JJ Watt.  But again even that comparison is totally unfair as Watt might possibly be one of the greatest that has ever played the game.  His dominance rivals the great LT.

Watt > LT.....yeah, I said it

Watt > LT.....yeah, I said it

I'm positive this could very well be.  But let's also not forget that LT completely changed the game.  That man was truly something else.  For Watt to even be in the conversation is saying something all in its own :-)

hey jj watt has had two monster years back to back....but where has that gotten the texans? im not for or against taking a rb in the first round ..all i am for is getting the most talented players we can get each round no matter what position

this. 

if any of the top 3 backs are on the board we would be crazy to pass for a defensive player, unless they are a top 2 or 3 player at their position.  we need help at all three levels on D, but we also need it at running back.  i think we should draft a guard in the second, but that depends on what we find in FA

I disagree, it's not as much about stopping the run as it is about coverage. Dominate safeties help your CB's shut down receivers. Richard Sherman credits his success in part due to the safties behind him allowing him to keep playing aggressive.

Not that dominate front 7 wouldn't help things but I don't think you can overlook safety.

I just don't know who we could get at S this year I do like Moore and would like to go after him but I'm sure McCourty gets tagged

I just don't know who we could get at S this year I do like Moore and would like to go after him but I'm sure McCourty gets tagged

Yeah it worries me. . . the safety class in the draft is weak and I think there arn't many good safeties in FA either.  

Although I heard the idea floated that the CB class is stronger and that a lot of those guys could probably be converted to safety.  

I live in GA, Gurley is a lot like Richardson.  Don't need him, don't want him.  Load up the trenches and we can go get Icky Woods, H's available for a pound of cold cuts and can run through an open hole.

I may live in Texas, but I'm from Atlanta, Georgia myself and I can tell you Gurley is waaaay better.

You're not even in the ballpark. Lol!

No way Grigs takes a RB right now. I think with Donald Brown, Bradshaw, Ballard, and now Herron he's realized that you don't need a 1st round talent RB to be able to run the ball. There are plenty of guys who can give you what you want for cheaper. Imagine how Ballard might have looked with a really good O-line? If we can get a good guard in either the draft or FA, we can take a guy like Langford or Coleman in the 3rd or 4th round and be sucessful

No way Grigs takes a RB right now. I think with Donald Brown, Bradshaw, Ballard, and now Herron he's realized that you don't need a 1st round talent RB to be able to run the ball. There are plenty of guys who can give you what you want for cheaper. Imagine how Ballard might have looked with a really good O-line? If we can get a good guard in either the draft or FA, we can take a guy like Langford or Coleman in the 3rd or 4th round and be sucessful

Do you really see Coleman being in the 3rd or 4th? I bet someone blows a 1st or a 2nd on him.

Do you really see Coleman being in the 3rd or 4th? I bet someone blows a 1st or a 2nd on him.

Yes. One because he's a little banged up, and the second reason being he isn't as good as people make him out to be. You could make the argument that he was probably only the 3rd best RB in the Big 10 behind Abdullah and Langford. You may say Langford is a stretch but look at the numbers and you'd be surprised. And then when you factor in the top 2 RBs in Gordon and Gurley, that pushes him down to a 3rd rounder at the earliest.

Yes. One because he's a little banged up, and the second reason being he isn't as good as people make him out to be. You could make the argument that he was probably only the 3rd best RB in the Big 10 behind Abdullah and Langford. You may say Langford is a stretch but look at the numbers and you'd be surprised. And then when you factor in the top 2 RBs in Gordon and Gurley, that pushes him down to a 3rd rounder at the earliest.

I'm all for that, definitely. But I just keep thinking someone is going to blow a 1st or 2nd on him thinking he's the next big RB to come into the NFL. No way would I want Grigson to pull the trigger on a RB in the 1st or 2nd, but someone may do it.

I'm all for that, definitely. But I just keep thinking someone is going to blow a 1st or 2nd on him thinking he's the next big RB to come into the NFL. No way would I want Grigson to pull the trigger on a RB in the 1st or 2nd, but someone may do it.

It could happen, although it shouldn't. The 2nd round is usually the RB round anyways. It's where teams who need RB's decide to take them. If Gordon or Gurley falls into the 2nd, then Coleman won't get drafted that early. But I also think there are some RB's teams may like over him like Abdullah or Ajayi. It's all a matter of preference though. If a team really likes him that much he may jump into the 2nd.

Yeah it worries me. . . the safety class in the draft is weak and I think there arn't many good safeties in FA either.

Although I heard the idea floated that the CB class is stronger and that a lot of those guys could probably be converted to safety.

yeah everyone says its pretty weak so idk maybe we get 1 later and find a gem. Like I said tho I do like Moore he is still young and he is good everyone just judges him on that 1 play against BAL.

Apparently the colts brass are quite high on Dewey Mcdonald back there, I wouldnt be opposed to bringing Mike Adams back either so long as there is a plan for someone to succeed him the year after,.. He was a pro-bowl caliber safety last year.

Don't forget Delano Howell as well. We were quite high on him before he went on IR before the start of last season...

IMO we shouldnt break the bank for a FS like McCourty, Adams and Howell would be a fine pairing, with Adams getting some rotation. Like some people above have mentioned, there are more important areas of need for us than FS. (Notably ILB, OLB & OL)

I like McDonald we should be high on him, Adams An McCourty are free safeties not strong safeties. Also we can be high on McCourty all we want, but he IMO will still be a Patriot! Howell?? really, the guys body of work is VERY small & he has been hurt the last 2 years! I don't expect anything from him honestly!