Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft or FA RB

Most everyone agrees there will be some fresh faces in the backfield for us next year. Which do you prefer in general or in this situation, draft one or sign one?

Personally I'd like to strengthen the OL in free agency and draft one of the glut of RBs who will be available in rounds 2-3.

I wouldn't go with a running back that high in the draft (even though there are some studs). I'd bring back Boom and Bradshaw then draft a running back in a later rounds.We really need to address the defensive front 7 in the first 2-3 rounds. I can't watch us get run over by the pats again.

If we could get Spiller on a nice 1 year deal then get a RB in the 3rd, I'd do both. But if it has to be one or another I'm for drafting a guy like Coleman in the 2nd or 3rd. I know its obvious I love Tevin Coleman, and it isn't for no reason. He, Gurley, and Gordon are the best backs in the draft, and IMO Coleman can be like a combination of Forte and Murray.

I'm not too excited about any FA RBs. Spiller is good, but will probably have a lot of suitors. I'd like Joe McKnight as a reserve / return man. Other than that, nothing to talk about.

So I'd lean toward the draft and UDFAs.

I am with you although I do think Helu fits what we have been doing pretty well. He can catch the ball and get the corner should have a lot of thread left on his tires sitting behind Morris in Washington and come cheap with a shot to start.

I would not take a RB early there are a few I like late possible or as UDFA's Agnew at S. Illinois a Beaver transfer, Hillard from LSU just to toss two out there time for me to go home. There are a lot of RB's some of the names going in the 3rd now will slip way down. The position is flooded and the value has been decreased IMO

Build the trenches on both sides get some splash guys on D.

I'd like Jay Ajayi in the 3rd round of the draft.

I would love Jay Ajayi on this team! We should be able to get him in the early 3rd. Here is my latest draft with the Colts trading down from round 1 and 2.

Round 2 Pick 5 (NYJ): Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)

Round 3 Pick 4 (OAK): Carl Davis, DT/DE, Iowa (B+)

Round 3 Pick 6 (NYJ): Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State (A)

Round 3 Pick 29: Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (A)

Round 4 Pick 3 (OAK): Andy Gallik, C, Boston College (A)

Round 4 Pick 29: Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A-)

Round 5 Pick 29: JaCorey Shepherd, CB, Kansas (B-)

Round 6 Pick 29: Sean Hickey, OT, Syracuse ©

Round 6 Pick 32: Josh Robinson, RB, Mississippi St. (C+)

Round 7 Pick 28: Junior Sylvestre, OLB/ILB, Toledo (C+)

The only help we would still need is at safety and ILB. We could sign either Marcus Gilchrist, DaNorris Searcy, or Devin McCourty at S, and then bring in OLB Brandon Graham and another lower tier ILB for depth.

Both. The RB roster will be gutted this off-season. Bradshaw, Richardson, and Ballard are all going to be shown the door, while Tipton could get stashed on the PS. That'll leave Herron as the starting RB. While I like Boom's diversity, he isn't a starter. I think you maybe bring in a RB like Spiller and then draft David Cobb to be the every down back. Maybe Langford if Cobb is gone earlier

I'd sign spiller he fits perfect here 2 year deal . Also look for a rookie FA Corey Grant.. I don't think the back we want an need is here he's in next years draft Derrick Henry 6'3 245 .. Thunder an lighting him an grant could be a good duo .. If not grant then someone fast ..

I think a good idea would be for us to pick up both. My ideal situation is to pick up Shane Vereen as a third down / change of pace back and draft Mike Davis as our battering ram up the middle. A hard nosed bruiser to run between the tackles is something that this team had lacked for awhile and I think this duo can set us up for a few years.

I think a good idea would be for us to pick up both. My ideal situation is to pick up Shane Vereen as a third down / change of pace back and draft Mike Davis as our battering ram up the middle. A hard nosed bruiser to run between the tackles is something that this team had lacked for awhile and I think this duo can set us up for a few years.

No !!! We need a a workhorse !!! We hand to get the next Eddie lacy, and can't be settling for average. Us fans and 12 deserve and edge type player (32). It would open up the deep pass stack, and keep D in nickel personal at best. If you guys didn't notice patties and Broncos had a 4-2-5 personal that's embarrassing !!!!

If we upgrade our O-Line our already existing RB will get better. Everyone on here seems to know this already. At the end of the season we had some success running the ball with Zurlon Tipton even with a wish-wash O-Line. I think if our line gets better he could potentially be a workhorse back. He has the size and moves to get it done.

I think we should draft a rb and in order to get a real game changer we are going to have to do that in the second. By the time we pick again in the 3rd all the top rbs will be gone IMO. My choice is Jay Ajayi. To me he's the best all round rb and will be a 3 down back. Ameer Abdullah, Tevin Coleman, and Duke Johnson are 3 other backs who I would like to see us draft and would be good in our system though. Anyone of these 4 would make me happy and to get them I think we'd have to reach a little in the second round.

No !!! We need a a workhorse !!! We hand to get the next Eddie lacy, and can't be settling for average. Us fans and 12 deserve and edge type player (32). It would open up the deep pass stack, and keep D in nickel personal at best. If you guys didn't notice patties and Broncos had a 4-2-5 personal that's embarrassing !!!!

I would love to get the next Eddie Lacy or Edge, However there is no way to know 100% who that is or even if that player exists in this draft class. I do think that Mike Davis is a solid back, and he is the hard nosed runner that our team needs. He doesn't quite have the speed of someone like Lacey, but he has more power up the middle. I think if we can get a RB that isn't sitting in the backfield dancing (looking at you TRich) and can run forward and get yards after first contact, we will be able to set up the play action, which is what we need to do to thrive as an offense. I think we have Davis as our main RB, with Vereen coming in for passing situations because he has really good hands and can pass block well. This is what the Patriots used him for and he was successful. The other upside to getting Vereen is that we take a good player away from a Rival contender.

If we decide not to pick up a back until late, or maybe in UDFA I think this guy is interesting.

Matt Jones from Florida Gators. 6'2 226 4.4 forty. I think he's got good size, physicality, and balance.

Obviously there are other guys I like better than him, but I thought he was interesting as I watched. 

Will Muschamp said Matt Jones weighed 230 and ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at Florida's team "combine" other day. #Gators