Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Adam Schefter Colts and Duron Carter closing in on deal (Merge)

Deathiltis

YES...       3-5 m...   IMO ...    these "guys" are not the game changers many think they are...

BUT they could be KEY in a really good team ..       I just hope Indy does not hurt themselves on TE's.   Jack D proved that the position is not as "vital" as many think.........

I have no idea. Good TEs rarely reach the market. The last ones where Delanie Walker and Jared Cook. Cook went to the Rams for $7m/year, and hasn't been impressive, although he hasn't had a QB. Walker has been better, but he only got $4.375m/year. He was a backup for the Niners before he went to the Titans.

The market isn't very clearly defined for guys like Fleener and Allen. I could see either of them making a case for $7m/year, but I could also see them being in the $4-5m/year range. I'd put both of them in place at $4.5m/year this offseason, if it were up to me.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to many staff members he has been a model citizen in Montreal

And according to his QB teammate, he is a spoiled brat who acts entitled.  No work ethic, bad teammate, self centered... basically said that anyone who gets him will get a garbage player.

Does it matter to you that that was two years ago?

It's good that it happened two years ago. Hopefully, DC has matured since then, but, most people flunk out of the NFL. Many have the talent, but not the professionalism, mentality, and work ethic. At this point, I see him to be no different than D. Rogers. The Colts will give him a shot and hope it works for the best, and support him to stay on the right path.

It's good that it happened two years ago. Hopefully, DC has matured since then, but, most people flunk out of the NFL. Many have the talent, but not the professionalism, mentality, and work ethic. At this point, I see him to be no different than D. Rogers. The Colts will give him a shot and hope it works for the best, and support him to stay on the right path.

I agree. It either works out, or it doesn't. It's not such a huge deal.

Does it matter to you that that was two years ago?

Maybe.

If he comes to Indy and the reports are good that he's a good teammate, etc,  then he gets some slack.

But those comments were among the most incendiary I've ever read.   It wasn't the ordinary "he's a bad dude..."  type of quote.

So, DC bares watching closely.    If he works out,  then as you've been noting,  then great for us,  and if he doesn't it's not a big investment.

On this first contract,  the risk/reward ratio is more reward for the Colts and more risk for Carter.... 

Maybe.

If he comes to Indy and the reports are good that he's a good teammate, etc,  then he gets some slack.

But those comments were among the most incendiary I've ever read.   It wasn't the ordinary "he's a bad dude..."  type of quote.

So, DC bares watching closely.    If he works out,  then as you've been noting,  then great for us,  and if he doesn't it's not a big investment.

On this first contract,  the risk/reward ratio is more reward for the Colts and more risk for Carter.... 

Yeah, that's where I'm at with it. I've said many times that I don't like his back story, at all. But a young person can do a lot of growing up in two years. And even if he hasn't, oh well. We can wash our hands of him at any time.

I hope this works out, and even if it doesn't, to me what's impressive about this is that there have been some FA's from the CFL that many teams have looked at, (Freeman, Muamba, and now D. Carter). They have signed with the Colts.

This is a good job by Grigson. Also, it's evident that FA receivers want to play with Luck in this high-flying offense.

I love this.

But does this mean Nicks won't be back next year? Or Wayne?

it does not mean that at all. if reggie wants to come back then he will be back regardless of the depth chart.  i would like to see nicks come back but he may not have much of a role if we bring in carter. 

Carter looks to be 6-5-205. If he has the speed, hands we could have some serious potential.

Looks like he didn't make the 2013 Vikings squad due to character issues. Hopefully he did some growing up during the last two years in Canada eh.

kids has wheels and moves. very quick, very fluid.

For 6'5-205 sounds like the sky's the limit. Sounds like his biggest problem is between the ears. His father went through his ups and downs also. We see how that turned out. Hopefully the Apple didn't fall far from the tree ;)

I understand everyone saying that he might be another Rogers or Brazil. But he looks good,Catches well,runs fast and seems like a nice kid . Hopefully he learned his lesson on the ego thing . But after the awful game with the Pats . its nice to see something that has good possibilities and were looking forward with the Go Colts pride and excitement. ...  GO COLTS!!!!

But this is what I like about Grigs...   he is willing to "kick the tires" on players Polian would NEVER even consider.  

My thoughts exactly. Signing a kid like this is a low-risk, high-reward move that could be great for a franchise. Polian always seemed to salivate over guys who were "high character" and the theory of "this team builds through the draft!!" although his last few drafts were laughably horrible.

YES!!!!!! This is awesome news guys. He could be a star from day 1. I still want us to draft a wide out in the 2nd or 3rd though. This is my hope going into the season...Hilton, Moncrief, Green Beckham, Carter, and Whalen.

dude you crazy need o'line first then defense line  don,t need Rb,s wr's are a qb's .  all you think about ?

Probably. A guy can dream though. We gotta do something at rb. T rich is... t rich, boom isn't the answer, Ahmad is often injured, Ballard as well. Maybe Adrian Peterson? I'd really like Coleman from Indiana too.

Colts have option to exercise voiding Trent Richardson's contract

guy sucked day one if remember   right told you so.  boom good second place runner   get a rb be in 4 too 6 round , fact.  spot the 1,2,3,  rounds nonsense.

Maybe.

Not to sound like a jerk, and he probably wasn't a good/great teammate at Coffyville Community College (a bad attitude could be understandable, coming from a big time D-1 school to a community college probably was a difficult transition for a young guy, his moral was probably shot and the talent he had around him was probably not very good), but I have a hard time putting any stock into the twitter account of a JuCo QB.  

Most reports say DC was a good teammate in CFL, so if he was a bad teammate at a community college, hopefully he turned it around.

Size wise he's more Randy Moss. Moss was 6'4-210. What's Carters speed like. Moss had great hands, speed and leaping ability.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89528&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

That site says his 40 low was 4.5, 40 high was 4.69 and official was 4.6.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1505986-2013-nfl-draft-duron-carters-journey-and-how-it-has-shaped-him-for-the-future

Bleacher Report says he runs in the low 4.5's/upper 4.4's.

Randy Moss was running 40's in the low 4.2's/upper 4.1's.  

I don't think so -- assuming this is true, right now we've got TY, an unproven Moncrief, a few practice squad guys and Whalen.  I hope the FO isn't comfortable going into the season with that cast at WR -- even if Nicks or Wayne comes back to be the 4th WR, I think it'd be good insurance to have them on the squad going into training camp.  *Note - if Wayne decides to come back, he will know he can recover from his triceps injury and be back at good form, so I highly doubt he'd be as low as 4 on the depth chart.

Yes, dw!!  Superman is right, the risk/reward matrix is favorable, but I think you're more spot on dw49 -- the only way the risk/reward matrix becomes unfavorable to us is if we put all our eggs into Carter's basket and don't do anything else to address the WR position in the offseason -- I really hope the front office doesn't take this signing as our savior at WR -- at this point he's nothing more than potential.

I can't imagine a CFL guy with a patchy history is going to be breaking an NFL team's bank.  Heck, he wasn't even the leading WR in CFL last year.  I think his dad is certainly helping with the media hype and it seems like only 3 teams were really interested in him from media stories anyway (Minnesota, Cleveland and Indy) -- if he wants to go to a place to win and with a stable QB, no doubt Indy trumps either of those other 2.  I won't be shocked if he has some hefty performance bonuses thrown into his contract, but just can't fathom his guaranteed money to be very high.

he was second leading wr.s in cfl and pick too play in cfl all stars.