Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Adam Schefter Colts and Duron Carter closing in on deal (Merge)

Deathiltis

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many of this fan base are so delusional.  

Dude is getting a sniff for ONE reason.....       

If it's because of his dad, that's not true. He was a highly ranked player coming out of high-school and was very productive in the CFL. Having a HOF father helps, but he did this on his own. 

Hum very good sign how much does this guy weigh some are saying he is light. I think he is wroth the risk! Intrusting to see if we draft a WR with a deep WR pool this year. Does Reggie come back? Nicks? Does Whalhen make the team as punt returner again with the crazy Cribbs guy?

Depending on where you look, he is in the 195 to 205 range. Skinny for a guy who is 6'5.

Also, guy returned kicks too I believe. Could he be useful in that regard.

He never signed with the Vikings. He tried out, and they didn't offer him a contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2336658-the-duron-carter-story-from-future-star-to-rock-bottom-and-back-again

I like most others am happy with the signing. But after reading that report , there's a lot not to like with this kid. Nothing much to lose here but you can't like the fact that in his last game he was frustrated in the Grey Cup and drew 2 major penalties . The only way this can hurt is if he busts and it ended up that we had a bit of a void as counting on him effected FA and the draft.

Yeah, the Luck report has been pretty well debunked. That's why I brought it up.

As for setting a precedent, I don't know that the Colts need to worry about that. They can do whatever they want. Luck isn't like other players. As for business and cap management, it makes sense to wait on Luck's deal, to get one more year of a relatively low cap hit. But not out of deference to anyone else.

Sorry,  but define "debunked"....

Because if you're going to say that all parties are publicly denying it,  I'd respond that in this case,  that means nothing to me.

So...  what has this kid done to DESERVE anything?    Leave everywhere he has ever been because?   So what, prove it ...  He will have to come in and EARN it, just like DaRodgers.   

It's not as easy as many of you think..       A LOT of hard work and maturity are what separates players from ...    guys.

We will see...    bet he don't get much of a guarantee $$$

Sorry,  but define "debunked"....

Because if you're going to say that all parties are publicly denying it,  I'd respond that in this case,  that means nothing to me.

I mean, the report comes out that they're working on a new deal, and three involved parties not only deny it, but act like it's the strangest thing they've ever heard. Irsay said it's not even on his mind; this is a guy who is always eager to talk about how he's working on deals for his best players. Grigson's exact response was "that's news to me." Luck said it's not something he's even thought about.

I'm pretty convinced by those denials. I could be a gullible fool, but they all shot the story down in very uncertain terms.

Avery was actually productive enough. I think we just expected things to work out differently, and Allen getting hurt and then Reggie getting hurt changed things. But out of Avery, DHB and Nicks, Avery was easily the most productive. He did as much in his one season here as the other two combined.

Who else were Colts WR's?  Garcon and Blair White, compared to Reggie Wayne and TY Hilton with DHB and Nicks, makes a huge difference who else is a main target.  I don't think Avery is really that good.  What has he done with KC?  Also who all does KC have as a supporting cast?  Dwayne Bowe!

Who else were Colts WR's?  Garcon and Blair White, compared to Reggie Wayne and TY Hilton with DHB and Nicks, makes a huge difference who else is a main target.  I don't think Avery is really that good.  What has he done with KC?  Also who all does KC have as a supporting cast?  Dwayne Bowe!

I didn't say Avery was better. I said he was more productive. Is that arguable?

I love this.

But does this mean Nicks won't be back next year? Or Wayne?

I don't think so -- assuming this is true, right now we've got TY, an unproven Moncrief, a few practice squad guys and Whalen.  I hope the FO isn't comfortable going into the season with that cast at WR -- even if Nicks or Wayne comes back to be the 4th WR, I think it'd be good insurance to have them on the squad going into training camp.  *Note - if Wayne decides to come back, he will know he can recover from his triceps injury and be back at good form, so I highly doubt he'd be as low as 4 on the depth chart.

This immediately improves WR depth, gives the team more breathing room to select a different position in the draft. Love it. Holding my breath till he's officially signed though.

This is fantastic now we wont waste a top pick on WR

I hope he's not Rogers 2.0 also, but even if he is, it doesn't hurt us. The risk/reward matrix on this is very favorable for us.

I like most others am happy with the signing. But after reading that report , there's a lot not to like with this kid. Nothing much to lose here but you can't like the fact that in his last game he was frustrated in the Grey Cup and drew 2 major penalties . The only way this can hurt is if he busts and it ended up that we had a bit of a void as counting on him effected FA and the draft.

Yes, dw!!  Superman is right, the risk/reward matrix is favorable, but I think you're more spot on dw49 -- the only way the risk/reward matrix becomes unfavorable to us is if we put all our eggs into Carter's basket and don't do anything else to address the WR position in the offseason -- I really hope the front office doesn't take this signing as our savior at WR -- at this point he's nothing more than potential.

Makes sense. I agree with you...was just relaying what some were saying. In reality, I don't see why they would do it this offseason b/c of cap. I'd exercise the 5th year option and get the deal done right before or during that season. 

Back on topic, I'll be interested to see the parameters of the Carter deal since I'm sure his agent was driving the price up as much as possible.

I can't imagine a CFL guy with a patchy history is going to be breaking an NFL team's bank.  Heck, he wasn't even the leading WR in CFL last year.  I think his dad is certainly helping with the media hype and it seems like only 3 teams were really interested in him from media stories anyway (Minnesota, Cleveland and Indy) -- if he wants to go to a place to win and with a stable QB, no doubt Indy trumps either of those other 2.  I won't be shocked if he has some hefty performance bonuses thrown into his contract, but just can't fathom his guaranteed money to be very high.

Total mistake!!!!  nOOOOO.  After he failed OSU academically and went to Coffyville community college in Kansas, this is what Coffyville's QB said about him, "The team that drafts Duron Carter will get the most lazy, whiny & non-work ethic player the nfl has ever seen," Cayden Cochran, Coffeyville's starting quarterback for Carter's season there, wrote on his Twitter account in February. "I played w/him. Horrible person & will be a complete cancer to any team on the board."

Yeah, the Luck report has been pretty well debunked. That's why I brought it up.

As for setting a precedent, I don't know that the Colts need to worry about that. They can do whatever they want. Luck isn't like other players. As for business and cap management, it makes sense to wait on Luck's deal, to get one more year of a relatively low cap hit. But not out of deference to anyone else.

We usually agree on this kind of stuff but I'll bet you a $ to a donut that they extend Luck before 2016 as it is a "win - win" deal. Luck wins as he get's his big payday a year early and it protects him somewhat (guaranteed $) against an injury before 2016. The Colts win as they beat a year of inflation and also it seems like they get a bit of a discount. Take a look at the Rodgers contract and you'll see that re upping him early really made for a nice contract, It's totally affordable right through it's final year. Compare that to the  contracts that elite QBs signed when their deals were up. Brees and Flacco come to mind. Also the Colts have a 7 mill cap hit for Luck this year. If they wanted another year of relatively low cap hit , they could set a base low enough for 2015 to make it (cap hit) around 12 ( ?)  That shouldn't mess up the following 5 or so years that follow. I agree that they can't do the 7 figure.

Total mistake!!!!  nOOOOO.  After he failed OSU academically and went to Coffyville community college in Kansas, this is what Coffyville's QB said about him, "The team that drafts Duron Carter will get the most lazy, whiny & non-work ethic player the nfl has ever seen," Cayden Cochran, Coffeyville's starting quarterback for Carter's season there, wrote on his Twitter account in February. "I played w/him. Horrible person & will be a complete cancer to any team on the board."

I've been to Coffyville before. Ironically, they have terrible coffee. 

That was two years ago. It's all been very well documented.

CHRIS "I am the best WR in NFL HISTORY" CARTER. 

splash sign...   Dude is average...     He just is, and to make matters worse...   he is an entitled kid.

Hope it works out ... but...  been there seen that,.     Just because DADDY made something of himself does not mean JR will.

And there is a trend emerging here... 

Which is what?

I don't think so -- assuming this is true, right now we've got TY, an unproven Moncrief, a few practice squad guys and Whalen.  I hope the FO isn't comfortable going into the season with that cast at WR -- even if Nicks or Wayne comes back to be the 4th WR, I think it'd be good insurance to have them on the squad going into training camp.  *Note - if Wayne decides to come back, he will know he can recover from his triceps injury and be back at good form, so I highly doubt he'd be as low as 4 on the depth chart.

Yes, dw!!  Superman is right, the risk/reward matrix is favorable, but I think you're more spot on dw49 -- the only way the risk/reward matrix becomes unfavorable to us is if we put all our eggs into Carter's basket and don't do anything else to address the WR position in the offseason -- I really hope the front office doesn't take this signing as our savior at WR -- at this point he's nothing more than potential.

I can't imagine a CFL guy with a patchy history is going to be breaking an NFL team's bank.  Heck, he wasn't even the leading WR in CFL last year.  I think his dad is certainly helping with the media hype and it seems like only 3 teams were really interested in him from media stories anyway (Minnesota, Cleveland and Indy) -- if he wants to go to a place to win and with a stable QB, no doubt Indy trumps either of those other 2.  I won't be shocked if he has some hefty performance bonuses thrown into his contract, but just can't fathom his guaranteed money to be very high.

This is a huge mistake.  He hated school , how is he going to do film studies and learn the offense.  begrudingly , that's how.  His dad boasts of his IQ but said he hates school with a passion or he had other animated words he used.

Yes, dw!! Superman is right, the risk/reward matrix is favorable, but I think you're more spot on dw49 -- the only way the risk/reward matrix becomes unfavorable to us is if we put all our eggs into Carter's basket and don't do anything else to address the WR position in the offseason -- I really hope the front office doesn't take this signing as our savior at WR -- at this point he's nothing more than potential.

How dumb do you think the Colts front office is?

We usually agree on this kind of stuff but I'll bet you a $ to a donut that they extend Luck before 2016 as it is a "win - win" deal. Luck wins as he get's his big payday a year early and it protects him somewhat (guaranteed $) against an injury before 2016. The Colts win as they beat a year of inflation and also it seems like they get a bit of a discount. Take a look at the Rodgers contract and you'll see that re upping him early really made for a nice contract, It's totally affordable right through it's final year. Compare that to the  contracts that elite QBs signed when their deals were up. Brees and Flacco come to mind. Also the Colts have a 7 mill cap hit for Luck this year. If they wanted another year of relatively low cap hit , they could set a base low enough for 2015 to make it (cap hit) around 12 ( ?)  That shouldn't mess up the following 5 or so years that follow. I agree that they can't do the 7 figure.

I'm confused. Do you mean prior to the 2015 season that's coming up?

This is a huge mistake.  He hated school , how is he going to do film studies and learn the offense.  begrudingly , that's how.  His dad boasts of his IQ but said he hates school with a passion or he had other animated words he used.

He could be the worst player in the history of ever, and this will never qualify as a "huge mistake." 

Right, they are NOT silly...  they will look at talent...    no matter where it comes from.. 

Grigs has proven his ability ...     it is just killing him tho on the TR and BW back to back...  

One great first rounder and ...   whahhhhh?   and I think something we don't know about it up with Bjorn? 

How dumb do you think the Colts front office is?

Im hoping Wayne can get healthy and come for one more year. We are one injury away from Moncrief and Carter being both starters. I like both, but need improvement from these two. Carter is a low risk high reward signing. My expectations are low for him in the 2015 season.