Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Adam Schefter Colts and Duron Carter closing in on deal (Merge)

Deathiltis

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Darick Rogers huge?? Just suprised to see people so excited....maybe its just the first offseason signing but I will consider it a big deal when he makes the 53 man roster...until then I fully expect him to be a PS player.

If he keeps his head on straight he will not be a special teams player IMO. Maybe go take a look at his film and you may be surprised.

Thanks...I actually misread your post. Thought you were talking the Carter contract and I was taken aback about that number being associated with it. 

Luck said this week he hadn't been involved in anything. I also read something that the Colts redoing his contract this offseason would cause a stir with other front offices execs, since it would be setting a precedence for cutting rookie contracts short. 

Well, he seemed like a liability in coverage unfortunately. I still think Freeman is going to come back next season and get back to his previous production. I think the team likes D'Qwell so I doubt we will be drafting an ILB early anyway. But we are going off on a tangent here.

I really like the Kelvin Benjamin comparison except Benjamin is a lot bulkier, can really bully NFL corners.

You're right!  I thought Carter had a little more bulk than he does.  I was looking more at the height, and the good hands.

YES!!!!!! This is awesome news guys. He could be a star from day 1. I still want us to draft a wide out in the 2nd or 3rd though. This is my hope going into the season...Hilton, Moncrief, Green Beckham, Carter, and Whalen.

ALOT of hype for a player who hasn't played a game in the NFL yet. I have a feeling this is just another hyped player on this board that wont work out.

everyone always says "This player is going to help, this is a huge signing ect..." Hasn't really worked out yet.

Thanks...I actually misread your post. Thought you were talking the Carter contract and I was taken aback about that number being associated with it. 

Luck said this week he hadn't been involved in anything. I also read something that the Colts redoing his contract this offseason would cause a stir with other front offices execs, since it would be setting a precedence for cutting rookie contracts short. 

Yeah, the Luck report has been pretty well debunked. That's why I brought it up.

As for setting a precedent, I don't know that the Colts need to worry about that. They can do whatever they want. Luck isn't like other players. As for business and cap management, it makes sense to wait on Luck's deal, to get one more year of a relatively low cap hit. But not out of deference to anyone else.

Yeah, the Luck report has been pretty well debunked. That's why I brought it up.

As for setting a precedent, I don't know that the Colts need to worry about that. They can do whatever they want. Luck isn't like other players. As for business and cap management, it makes sense to wait on Luck's deal, to get one more year of a relatively low cap hit. But not out of deference to anyone else.

Makes sense. I agree with you...was just relaying what some were saying. In reality, I don't see why they would do it this offseason b/c of cap. I'd exercise the 5th year option and get the deal done right before or during that season. 

Back on topic, I'll be interested to see the parameters of the Carter deal since I'm sure his agent was driving the price up as much as possible. 

Never really heard of him before all this. I looked him up and saw that bc of off the field issues he didn't get to finish at D1 and get drafted. Saw he was cut by the Vikings. Hope he got better and put all that garbage behind him.

Is the "cut by Vikings a typo" or did that actually happen. I thought he was undrafted after that checkered college career and signed with Montreal in June 2013. That doesn't leave anytime for him to have been with Minnesota.

Is the "cut by Vikings a typo" or did that actually happen. I thought he was undrafted after that checkered college career and signed with Montreal in June 2013. That doesn't leave anytime for him to have been with Minnesota.

Wikipedia says he tried out but was cut before regular season. I hope he is not a Rogers or Brazill. Seems like the issues are much farther behind him and he's got to be hungry to get to "the show". Stephen Holder reports nothing will be official til next week but he did hear they agreed to terms.

The date is Feb. 10 to be exact.

However, as reported by Stampede Blue...

Report: Wide Receiver Duron Carter can Sign with an NFL Team Earlier than Expected

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/1/27/7924895/report-wide-receiver-duron-carter-can-sign-with-an-nfl-team-earlier-than-expected-colts

...if a deal is reached before February 10 the Alouettes will release him from his contract to allow the receiver to sign with an NFL team immediately.

Wikipedia says he tried out but was cut before regular season. I hope he is not a Rogers or Brazill. Seems like the issues are much farther behind him and he's got to be hungry to get to "the show". Stephen Holder reports nothing will be official til next week but he did hear they agreed to terms.

He never signed with the Vikings. He tried out, and they didn't offer him a contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2336658-the-duron-carter-story-from-future-star-to-rock-bottom-and-back-again

Duron declared for the 2013 draft, but he was not selected. Nor did he receive a free-agent offer. He was invited to try out at spring camps for the Vikings and Saints but was not invited to stick around. A source with one of the teams then said Carter goofed off and "acted like he had made the team," instead of doing all he could to impress.

ALOT of hype for a player who hasn't played a game in the NFL yet. I have a feeling this is just another hyped player on this board that wont work out.

everyone always says "This player is going to help, this is a huge signing ect..." Hasn't really worked out yet.

I do think he's going to be really good but I also understand your hesitations 100%. He clearly has potential though.

Makes sense. I agree with you...was just relaying what some were saying. In reality, I don't see why they would do it this offseason b/c of cap. I'd exercise the 5th year option and get the deal done right before or during that season. 

Back of topic, I'll be interested to see the parameters of the Carter deal since I'm sure his agent was driving the price up as much as possible. 

Pretty much agreed on Luck. I could see them getting it done as early as this year's camp, but more likely, sometime after the 2015 season ends.

I'm pretty certain Carter's deal is determined by the CBA. It's a UDFA contract. The signing bonus is negotiable up to a predetermined cap (somewhere around $125K), and the guaranteed money is negotiable. But the contract will be three years, somewhere around $1.5m total. I'm 89% sure of that.

Never knew he was given tryouts