Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Problems and some solutions for 2015

Rally5

We get out-coached too often and when we do it's brutal.  When we have favorable match-ups against our philosophies we do very well.  In order to get to the next level, I do not believe we will ever out-coach New England, and by the way nobody does, so we need to have even more talent foir this squad if we are to move forward.

1. Safety -  Landry is the softest player I've ever seen, he plays to avoid contact.  I would encourage anyone to re-watch that nightmare and you can't find him anywhere.  Adams is all over the field, he didn't play well today but at least he puts out.  We must get a safety who wants to play.

2. DT - Suh, Pay the money, I'll chip in to see him step on Brady!  Imagine Jones and Suh at Tackle!

3. There were trucking lanes open right up the belly, better find a NT if we're going to be serious about a 3-4.  You sinply can't play an effective 3-4 without an anchor.

3.  Pray Mathis has a healthy recovery.

4.  Freeman can not play the MLB position, he is a 4-3 will backer IMO.  He gets trucked in the run game (partially due to 2 and 3).  We may need to consider drafting a stout young MLB.  Some may believe in Freeman, I don't buy into the "he's fast" narrative.

5.  Our line pass blocked well in the end but don't think for a sesond that line is good enough yet.  Our run game remains anemic and we must prioritize protecting the franchise at all times.

Coaching,

Defense, Manusky is lost against dynamic game plans.  The NE wide-outs can not beat our guys deep yet we played 5-10 yrds off all day, we did not press nor get physical at the line.  Help me on that? Clueless against the run game and lost all year against bunch formations.  Why not press and blitz Brady?  How do we miss on this stuff?

Offense, our game plans are flat out awful, why in the world do we have a third and ten and four wide outs 25 yards down field with their backs to Luck.  I guess I skipped to terrible play calling, sorry, watch the tape.  Why do we come out with the proven failed "establish the run" plan so we can immediately give the ball back to New England.  We ran no bunch formations, no underneath passing, no crossing routes and did absolutely nothing dynamic to leverage the short passing game with our TE's.  I also love to see Wayne and Hicks on the bench in favor of three tight end sets in passing situations.  It's just bad.

IF the plan is a Super Bowl victory we have much to do!

We get out-coached too often and when we do it's brutal.  When we have favorable match-ups against our philosophies we do very well.  In order to get to the next level, I do not believe we will ever out-coach New England, and by the way nobody does, so we need to have even more talent foir this squad if we are to move forward.

1. Safety -  Landry is the softest player I've ever seen, he plays to avoid contact.  I would encourage anyone to re-watch that nightmare and you can't find him anywhere.  Adams is all over the field, he didn't play well today but at least he puts out.  We must get a safety who wants to play.

2. DT - Suh, Pay the money, I'll chip in to see him step on Brady!  Imagine Jones and Suh at Tackle!

3. There were trucking lanes open right up the belly, better find a NT if we're going to be serious about a 3-4.  You sinply can't play an effective 3-4 without an anchor.

4.  Freeman can not play the MLB position, he is a 4-3 will backer IMO.  He gets trucked in the run game (partially due to 2 and 3).  We may need to consider drafting a stout young MLB.  Some may believe in Freeman, I don't buy into the "he's fast" narrative.

5.  Our line pass blocked well in the end but don't think for a sesond that line is good enough yet.  Our run game remains anemic and we must prioritize protecting the franchise at all times.

Coaching,

Defense, Manusky is lost against dynamic game plans.  The NE wide-outs can not beat our guys deep yet we played 5-10 yrds off all day, we did not press nor get physical at the line.  Help me on that? Clueless against the run game and lost all year against bunch formations.  Why not press and blitz Brady?  How do we miss on this stuff?

Offense, our game plans are flat out awful, why in the world do we have a third and ten and four wide outs 25 yards down field with their backs to Luck.  I guess I skipped to terrible play calling, sorry, watch the tape.  Why do we come out with the proven failed "establish the run" plan so we can immediately give the ball back to New England.  We ran no bunch formations, no underneath passing, no crossing routes and did absolutely nothing dynamic to leverage the short passing game with our TE's.  I also love to see Wayne and Hicks on the bench in favor of three tight end sets in passing situations.  It's just bad.

I couldn't agree more.

We aren't getting Suh and he doesn't fit our scheme. We need Cedric Thornton and Dan Williams on the D Line. See what Blunt can do against Jones-Williams-Thornton. We need to replace one of our ILB's. We need to draft a FS who can cover like Prewitt. Our defense needs to have a mean streak and be aggressive.

We aren't getting Suh and he doesn't fit our scheme. We need Cedric Thornton and Dan Williams on the D Line. See what Blunt can do against Jones-Williams-Thornton. We need to replace one of our ILB's. We need to draft a FS who can cover like Prewitt. Our defense needs to have a mean streak and be aggressive.

I might dis-agree, I think Suh can play in any scheme, but ok, there are certainly other players as well, I think we agree on the points.  Suh happens to be a sure thing and nasty which is just what the Doctor ordered.  

The problem isn't all on the talent, it's the coaching failing to make adjustments

Everyone and their grandma knew they would take Hilton away. Pep made no effort to get creative and provide a spark. Jet Sweeps. Anything

The offensive line was fairly solid but no one was open. Reggie Wayne should've been inactive

I'll take Whalen over Reggie right now. We don't owe Reggie anything. If you're not producing, find the bench

Not that any of that matters now since the offseason has begun,but just my 2 cents

The problem isn't all on the talent, it's the coaching failing to make adjustments

Everyone and their grandma knew they would take Hilton away. Pep made no effort to get creative and provide a spark. Jet Sweeps. Anything

The offensive line was fairly solid but no one was open. Reggie Wayne should've been inactive

I'll take Whalen over Reggie right now. We don't owe Reggie anything. If you're not producing, find the bench

Not that any of that matters now since the offseason has begun,but just my 2 cents

I think you missed the bottom of my thread.....

trade a 1 and a 2 for JJ Watt, pick up demaryius thomas, Ndamukong Suh, and Darrelle Revis. And maybe get Adrian Peterson in the process. 

Suh happens to be leaving and I don't think Detroit wants him back.  I dont like Peterson only because I think great lines make for great runners and he's big money.  I'd prefer to invest in the lines, LB and Safety.  As for Revis but we don't need a high priced CB IMO.

Throw the schemes out the window and focus on getting good, proven football players.  That's thing I hated about Dungy and Polian is that they only wanted certain players to fit into their scheme, which was undersized fast players that just got pushed around by teams like the Patriots.  Good coaches adapt their schemes to accommodate their best players.  Manusky isn't a good coach.  He's been here longer than Pagano and Hamilton, and hasn't had much success.

Our defense is basically a 5-2 instead of a 3-4 considering all of our OLB's are DE's trying to play linebacker.  They are terrible in pass coverage, and it leaves us weak up the middle with just the two ILB's trying to do everything.  If we had a better NT everything might come together, but for whatever reason there hasn't been much effort in finding one in the offseason.  

One thing I see Manusky do often is blitz our ILB's on 3 and medium which leaves us open to shallow crosses every time.  He keeps doing it over and over, even when the linebackers aren't getting to the QB.  He just keeps getting out coached, and it's time for a change.  

Edited by 21isSuperman

Totally agree... Pep needs to remember he's not in college anymore. Look at all the motion and different formations the Pats use .They always seem to have somebody wide open on every play. Tom Brady could win a Super Bowl at 40 years old the way the Pats play offense.

Offense: 

Pep really stunk at play calling this game. I might even start calling him Pepe Le'Pew he stunk so bad. WE PUT UP 7 POINTS. I still can't believe I could call from my couch when we were going to run/throw. Barely any roll outs, No 3 TE sets. Is Pep allergic to slants? I was unpleasantly surprised at the offensive play calling. He knew pats would take away TY, why was there no game plan to compensate for this?   

I love you Reggie Wayne, but holy crap. I think it's time up to hang up your cleats in honor and accept the inevitable. Don't be like Manning and drag it out too long. 

No possible scenario where Trent Richardson is a Colt next year. I like Boom, but he needs to work on his hands. What do we do with Bradshaw and Ballard? Tipton isn't bad, but we need help at RB. 

Defense: 

Landry needs to go away. Far, far away. We'll have to eat whatever dead money that insane contract was worth. Beat it dude. Go work on your arms in someone else's gym. You are freaking terrible. 

Why does Chapman keep playing instead of Hughes at NT? 

Can anyone rush the passer? We can't just hope that Mathis returns to form next year and that Newsome develops. We need to hunt in FA for some pass rush. Our lack of depth is astounding. 

Manusky. Why did we play 5-10 yards off of the receivers??? What happened to tight press man coverage to throw the timing off?? Instead, give Brady the slant all day and dink and dunk our a$$es into the end zone. 

Not to mention we were last in the league at red zone defense. Sad play calling, per usual. 

And Josh Cribbs needs to go. 

trade a 1 and a 2 for JJ Watt, pick up demaryius thomas, Ndamukong Suh, and Darrelle Revis. And maybe get Adrian Peterson in the process.

Nice! You forgot Mike Iupati, Orlando Franklin, Devin McCourty, Justin Houston, Kareem Jackson... Luck - 22 mil. Suh - 20 mil. J.J. Watt - 20 mil. Revis - 16 mil. :)

Suh happens to be leaving and I don't think Detroit wants him back.  I dont like Peterson only because I think great lines make for great runners and he's big money.  I'd prefer to invest in the lines, LB and Safety.  As for Revis but we don't need a high priced CB IMO.

We're not going to have the highest paid players on both sides of the ball, and yes, it would be dumb to pay Peterson at this point in his career.

But I agree with your opening post. I wonder what Potroast is going to get?

Totally agree about our D schemes. I think Pep had a decent gameplan, there were a lot of mistakes. It's easy to be a QB today though.

Offense: 

Pep really stunk at play calling this game. I might even start calling him Pepe Le'Pew he stunk so bad. WE PUT UP 7 POINTS. I still can't believe I could call from my couch when we were going to run/throw. Barely any roll outs, No 3 TE sets. Is Pep allergic to slants? I was unpleasantly surprised at the offensive play calling. He knew pats would take away TY, why was there no game plan to compensate for this?   

I love you Reggie Wayne, but holy crap. I think it's time up to hang up your cleats in honor and accept the inevitable. Don't be like Manning and drag it out too long. 

No possible scenario where Trent Richardson is a Colt next year. I like Boom, but he needs to work on his hands. What do we do with Bradshaw and Ballard? Tipton isn't bad, but we need help at RB. 

Defense: 

Landry needs to go away. Far, far away. We'll have to eat whatever dead money that insane contract was worth. Beat it dude. Go work on your arms in someone else's gym. You are freaking terrible. 

Why does Chapman keep playing instead of Hughes at NT? 

Can anyone rush the passer? We can't just hope that Mathis returns to form next year and that Newsome develops. We need to hunt in FA for some pass rush. Our lack of depth is astounding. 

Manusky. Why did we play 5-10 yards off of the receivers??? What happened to tight press man coverage to throw the timing off?? Instead, give Brady the slant all day and dink and dunk our a$$es into the end zone. 

Not to mention we were last in the league at red zone defense. Sad play calling, per usual. 

And Josh Cribbs needs to go. 

Agree with everything you just said. I too was very perplexed as to why Manusky went away from the press coverage which worked wonders against Denver. I realize Brady would have made us pay a few times unlike Manning, but the soft coverage we saw was an absolute disgrace. When has that EVER worked? We essentially allowed NE to do whatever they wanted, and outside of Brady's INT that is exactly what they did.

I just mentioned it in another thread, but offensively, I also believe there needs to be some type of schematic change. There is plenty of talent between Hilton and the TEs to devise pass patterns that would result in open receivers against a fairly average NE defense. To only put up 7 points really showed how lackluster the offensive game plan was.

Instead of pointing fingers at coaches and all kinds of shade tree coaching things how about realizing the Colts are just not good enough yet? It's not rocket science. The Colts are not talented enough across the board and whining and pointing fingers will not help till the right players are brought in.

Instead of pointing fingers at coaches and all kinds of shade tree coaching things how about realizing the Colts are just not good enough yet? It's not rocket science. The Colts are not talented enough across the board and whining and pointing fingers will not help till the right players are brought in.

I look at NE's roster and outside of Brady and Gronk, I don't think they have any transcendent players nor a far superior roster to the Colts. I would go so far as to say Luck has better offensive weapons than Brady does between Hilton and his TE's. I would take Hilton over Edelmann (sp?) and I would say that Fleener and Allen together could offer the same potential mismatches that Gronk does. Defensively, NE has not been incredibly special this year and just came off of getting eaten alive by the Ravens last week who our defense I believe held to 14 points earlier in the year.

It was just flat out bad game-planning on both sides of the ball. NE looked like it knew what the Colts were going to do on almost every play both offensively and defensively and the Colts did not do anything to adapt by the look of it.

Not saying that the Colts talent, especially defensively, couldn't be better -- it could. But to simply say the Colts don't have the talent to compete and win just isn't correct, nor should this team ever get spanked 45-7 by any team in the NFL, the Pats included.

I look at NE's roster and outside of Brady and Gronk, I don't think they have any transcendent players nor a far superior roster to the Colts. I would go so far as to say Luck has better offensive weapons than Brady does between Hilton and his TE's. I would take Hilton over Edelmann (sp?) and I would say that Fleener and Allen together could offer the same potential mismatches that Gronk does. Defensively, NE has not been incredibly special this year and just came off of getting eaten alive by the Ravens last week who our defense I believe held to 14 points earlier in the year.

It was just flat out bad game-planning on both sides of the ball. NE looked like it knew what the Colts were going to do on almost every play both offensively and defensively and the Colts did not do anything to adapt by the look of it.

Not saying that the Colts talent, especially defensively, couldn't be better -- it could. But to simply say the Colts don't have the talent to compete and win just isn't correct, nor should this team ever get spanked 45-7 by any team in the NFL, the Pats included.

The Patriots roster is full of seasoned veteran players. To say the Colts problems are all on the coaches is narrow minded IMO. I don't care what coaches you have without the right players in place the Colts are not going to win a super bowl. Even the great Belichick didn't start out winning championships like you are expecting the Colts to do.

Coaching,

good post, I agree with all of it

The Patriots roster is full of seasoned veteran players. To say the Colts problems are all on the coaches is narrow minded IMO. I don't care what coaches you have without the right players in place the Colts are not going to win a super bowl. Even the great Belichick didn't start out winning championships like you are expecting the Colts to do.

I didn't expect the Colts to win last night. I was hoping they would, but I certainly wasn't banking on it. I did, however, expect the Colts to be competitive, which they were far from. I think you have to admit getting beat 45-7 is more about a lack of preparation than it is talent level in the NFL. There is not that big a talent gap, seasoned vets or no.

To be a truly great defense in the 3-4 you need an elite nose tackle. That is something the Colts don't currently have on the roster. They still need another WR as well as starting caliber OG. An elite pass rusher to maximize the skills of our secondary. I don't foresee this all getting fixed in one offseason.

The defense always looks confused . Paganos 3-4 scheme isn't working. I think we should go back to the 4-3 defense like Seattle. As for the colts offensive talent, I would trade TY for Edelmann straight up right now. He's a true football player.I wanted the Colts to sign him 2 years ago.

Coaching,

One of the biggest reasons are game plan was the Pats dared the Colts to run the ball.  They were dropping into coverage and blitzed minimally.  With a running game you get them out of the coverage and having to commit LBs and a Safety to the box just like Baltimore and then you see more man coverage in the secondary.  Pep's offense is predicated on running the football - there's no real ability to successfully adjust without it

Not that true.  Caldwell already came out and said they will do everything they need to do to keep Suh.

They said it was priority number one.

Hello I'm SOFT AS BABY % Rob Lowe and I play defense for theIndianapolis Colts. Another pitiful performance from Chuck Pagano 's defensive unit. Until the Colts open up the wallet and get some rough riders on this team this will continue to be the outcome of big games. Keeping it real Colt Fans.

We need tough guy Rob Lowe (on defense), who can't stop saying bro, BRO!

I didn't expect the Colts to win last night. I was hoping they would, but I certainly wasn't banking on it. I did, however, expect the Colts to be competitive, which they were far from. I think you have to admit getting beat 45-7 is more about a lack of preparation than it is talent level in the NFL. There is not that big a talent gap, seasoned vets or no.

I think the same thing, but other people disagree.  Just beacuse one team has your number, and play your daddy role, doesn't mean were not one of the best teams.  We need to play the Patriots with a better gameplan, and perhaps pick up a few players, that can help us, where the Pats really kill us.

The defense always looks confused . Paganos 3-4 scheme isn't working. I think we should go back to the 4-3 defense like Seattle. As for the colts offensive talent, I would trade TY for Edelmann straight up right now. He's a true football player.I wanted the Colts to sign him 2 years ago.

lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao at trading TY for Edelman

It will be a crucial year for Grigson and the Coaching staff! Don't get fooled by the Championship game this year. I don't wanna see a Colts team looking unprepared again for a third straight year in nearly every game with sloppy starts and an Offense that is looking ouf of sync for the second half of the season. Thats exactly what happened the last two years. Grigson needs to nail the draft this year otherwise it will probably his last year with the Colts. 

To be a truly great defense in the 3-4 you need an elite nose tackle. That is something the Colts don't currently have on the roster. They still need another WR as well as starting caliber OG. An elite pass rusher to maximize the skills of our secondary. I don't foresee this all getting fixed in one offseason.

I agree with the nose tackle part, but disagree with needing another starting caliber WR, because the Pats don't have a decent WR corp, not even nearly as good as the Colts were this year.  Definitely a new OG, and pass rusher also.  I believe if we pick up the pass rusher via FA, and get the NT and OG rounds 1 & 2 (or 1 of the 2 in FA also), then we will be good.  I am also concerned about RT if Cherilus can come back or not, and Safety.  I like LaRon, but he is definitely not worth the money he is getting.  Make him restructure, or show him the door, so we can fill that in the draft as well.

Lol, I like Edelman a lot, but he gets open the majority of the time due to scheme. You can't line him up and tell him to beat coverage mano e mano consistently.

Coaching,

hit the nail on the head here, but I would rather have Knighton.  I just don't trust Suh and the amount of money he is about to get.

Lay off the sauce.

Coaching,

hick be gone and reggie need be wr's coach.  then sign Duron Carter.