Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Manusky

SilentHill

WHAT?????

This is so laughable I wont even articulate a response.

because you can't. akcolt was right.  The games where the defense has looked the best are the games where they've gotten help from the offense. Help in the form of being able to sustain drives and actually score points.  The defense has shown that they can be very good when the offense does their part as well.  That's not to say that there's no room for improvement on the defense because there definitely is.  But it was by far not just the defense that lost the game for the Colts yesterday.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because you can't. akcolt was right.  The games where the defense has looked the best are the games where they've gotten help from the offense. Help in the form of being able to sustain drives and actually score points.  The defense has shown that they can be very good when the offense does their part as well.  That's not to say that there's no room for improvement on the defense because there definitely is.  But it was by far not just the defense that lost the game for the Colts yesterday.

this is not about yesterday.

It falls on both sides but mostly the D. When the colts had the five game winning streak and the D was a top D in yards, points, third downs, etc. it was because we were playing the Jags, Titans (home), Texans, Bengals (home), Ravens (home) and because we were cruising past (most of) them. When we play real teams like the Pats the last three times, the Cowboys, or the Chargers last year on MNF, our offense doesn't sustain a drive, D goes in there and gives up an 8 minute TD drive to a real team, Luck comes off the bench thinking he can't go back with no points and makes some bad decisions.

You can say the O did poorly so D had to stay out there but once you are down 14-7 and get a little momentum after Cribb's muff, they kill the quarter and score then get the ball back and kill most of the third quarter and score now we are making more bad decisions which brings the D back out on the field, and it's perpetual. Russel Wilson threw four picks yesterday but the D bailed him out and held GB to field goals all game. We never had a good D with Peyton and it's the same story again here so far.

Please find someone better having linebackers 7 yards from the line of scrimmage on a running play? Smh they wonder why the pats run it on us so easy

7 yards and playing a 4-2. Over and over and over. That is Chuck too, so if you want something better...

Thanks for taking some time to post a thoughtful and appeasing post.

While I agree on most of this I still think Manusky is NOT the guy to get the players to do what they are supposed to...and I don't think he's the guy that can get the most out of them either. 

I agree we need to get bigger up front for sure and we definitely need another solid FS/S player. I think Manusky blitzed like about the 3rd/4th most in the NFL...and a lot of reason for that is because of how small we are up front and couldn't get pressure without blitzing. We do have some good players on defense and I think with a new coaching staff on the defensive side and some FA/Draft pickups we could improve tremendously.

AND...for the record I do think there is a 50/50 chance Manusky will be let go.

Good point.

Except for the small up front thing. We are one of the biggest up front. lol

"sigh" I was hoping not to see this kind of past tonight I am not shocked that I did. 

This coaching staff has gone 11-5 three straight years and taken a major step each year in the post-season.  The coaches aren't getting fired.  Just come to grips with it. 

Frankly tonight I think we just saw that the Colts players on defense just aren't good enough.  If your players aren't good enough it doesn't matter what game plan you come up with it's not going to work.  I know it's maddening because the Pats can't run like this on other teams and the Colts don't get run on like this by other teams.  Still there is just something about this match up that gives the Colts all kinds of fits. 

Frankly I think the Colts need to look into overhauling the front seven this off-season.  You have two good pass rushing linebackers in Newsome and Mathis (if he can come back healthy) and then two MLBers that sometimes play really well and other times struggle.  Tonight though the Colts front line might as well have just not been there.  This is the area I think the Colts need to take a major look at.  The ends and NT spot just aren't good enough.  You also have too look at the OLBer spot in terms of getting a run stuffer.  Walden has been invisible since about the first quarter of the season and clearly Werner was so disappointing the Colts didn't even dress him tonight.   

The other area that they clearly have to address is the safety spot.  I think Mike Adams showed enough you bring him back but you need someone at the other safety spot. 

Okay, they're not going to get fired....if you say so.

The Colts had the "18th" best defense during the regular season and the "3rd" best offense. Don't you think it would be easier to move up 5, 10, 15 positions on defense then to try and improve on the offense? 9 teams that didn't even make the playoffs had a better defense then we had. Minnesota who finished 7-9 was rated #12. Can't we kidnap their DC?

Seems we're missing out on the low hanging fruit.

*Not Manuskys biggest fan* ..... but, you can't go into player specific threads and complain about nearly every defensive player Werner, Landry, etc ... (many rightfully so) and talk about how most lack talent and/or need cut/replaced, than turn around and call for Manusky's head because he can't field a good Defense with the same players you were only minutes earlier complaining about their lack of talent & replacing them.  

ive got to be honest, I wasn't impressed w manusky's resume when we hired him and Im starting think he really is that good of a DC.

I admit we lack talent at key positions but we looked almost completely unprepared for what NE was doing....which was basically the same thing they've done 3 games in a row against them. The same thing has been essentially true in just about every game where we've played good (and healthy) quarterbacks this season.

I understand giving up a lot of points to NE when you lack the talent but there were some disturbing stats in that game. Until Brady came out of the game, we allowed NE to score a TD on all but 2 drives. 2!!!!! One of those drives we gave it right back due to a boneheaded punt returner and then it took Brady throwing a terrible pass for us to stop them the other time.

The loss was on the whole team but I really don't know if we have the right guy to fix that side. I'll gladly admit if I'm wrong and we square it away though.

*Not Manuskys biggest fan* ..... but, you can't go into player specific threads and complain about nearly every defensive player Werner, Landry, etc ... (many rightfully so) and talk about how most lack talent and/or need cut/replaced, than turn around and call for Manusky's head because he can't field a good Defense with the same players you were only minutes earlier complaining about their lack of talent & replacing them.

Right. Jackson is awful, Landry is terrible, Freeman is bad, Chapman is awful, Toler is terrible, Redding is bad, Werner is awful, Jean-Francois is terrible... suddenly "with all that talent Manusky..."

Okay, they're not going to get fired....if you say so.

The Colts had the "18th" best defense during the regular season and the "3rd" best offense. Don't you think it would be easier to move up 5, 10, 15 positions on defense then to try and improve on the offense? 9 teams that didn't even make the playoffs had a better defense then we had. Minnesota who finished 7-9 was rated #12. Can't we kidnap their DC?

Seems we're missing out on the low hanging fruit.

i am all for improving the defense I just don't think the main problem is coaching. I think the main problem is the players on the field. They aren't good enough. Add in the fact they lost their best player on defense for the full year and I think Manusky coached his backside off.

Right. Jackson is awful, Landry is terrible, Freeman is bad, Chapman is awful, Toler is terrible, Redding is bad, Werner is awful, Jean-Francois is terrible... suddenly "with all that talent Manusky..."

Wrong,

Landry was a pro-bowler before we got him, Freeman was the best LB in the CFL when we got him, Toler was near elite in Arizona, Redding was an animal in Baltimore, Jean-Francois was really good in SF... and suddenly they all suck....and it's because they just suck, it has nothing to do with the coaching, conditioning, or scheme. Right. :rollseyes:

Yep, Redding was good, it's not like he is on decline, sure.

Jean-Francois was really good in SF?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/

Not really, Aubrayo was even better.

Toler was near elite in Arizona?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Not really, and he has played only 308 snaps.

Landry was a pro-bowler before we got him?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

Zbikowski was better.

Funny, very funny.

Yep, Redding was good, it's not like he is on decline, sure.

Jean-Francois was really good in SF?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/

Not really, Aubrayo was even better.

Toler was near elite in Arizona?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Not really, and he has played only 308 snaps.

Landry was a pro-bowler before we got him?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

Zbikowski was better.

Funny, very funny.

Ohh i didn't know we were going by PFF, well then surely Ryan Lindley having a batter rating in this years playoff game vs Carolina than Luck when we beat Detroit in 2012 means we should trade 1 for 1 immediately.

Ohh i didn't know we were going by PFF, well then surely Ryan Lindley having a batter rating in this years playoff game vs Carolina than Luck when we beat Detroit in 2012 means we should trade 1 for 1 immediately.

And what is your method? Coin toss? Eye test? Distant merry memories? BTW, PFF grades are for full season, not one game. Yep, Luck can be worse than Lindley. In one game. Try better.

i am all for improving the defense I just don't think the main problem is coaching. I think the main problem is the players on the field. They aren't good enough. Add in the fact they lost their best player on defense for the full year and I think Manusky coached his backside off.

The Colts (with a few exceptions) root around in the waste bins of the league for any player who can even remotely perform. If they're not going to cough up the cash for the A-list players then they need a coaching genius who can cobble something together. I don't think we have that.....just my opinion.

The Colts (with a few exceptions) root around in the waste bins of the league for any player who can even remotely perform. If they're not going to cough up the cash for the A-list players then they need a coaching genius who can cobble something together. I don't think we have that.....just my opinion.

They have gone from 2-14 to the AFCCG in just three years.  They are doing something right. 

Manusky is not very good but he's all we got.  We can't afford a good defensive Coordinator, we never could get the big names.  No one wants to come here when all we do is stock up on offense and let the DC deal with smallish re-treads.  Can't blame them.

??? This makes no sense ???

Someone needs to be let go.. a loss like that in a afc championship game.. being completely embarrassed as an organization.. how do you not make a change?

Edit: if you don't make a change, your basically saying your ok with what happen and what you have.

That is not close to what it is saying.  

That is not close to what it is saying.

Our defensive guru head coach has gotten dominated and embarrassed numerous times.. its not like hes taken us to the playoffs and lost a couple good games.. hes been repeatedly blown out.. not making a change is saying you dont think anything is wrong with that. Its was clear we were out coached. Its not like we are losing by a couple points.. we have been blown out due to game planning and coaching scheme.

I put this in another thread, but I think it fits here.

Manusky's defensive rankings as a defensive coordinator have been:

2007 49ers - 22nd pass D, 22nd run D, 20th scoring D, 25th in total D

2008 49ers - 20th in pass D,14th in run D, 23th in scoring D, 13th in total D

2009 49ers - 21st in pass D, 6th in run D, 4th in scoring D, 15th in total D

2010 49ers - 24th in pass D, 6th in run D,16th in scoring D, 13th in total D

2011 Chargers - 13th in pass D, 20th in run D, 22nd in scoring D, 16th in total D

2012 Colts - 21st in pass D, 29th in run D, 21st in scoring D, 26th in total D

2013 Colts - 13th in pass D, 26th in run D, 9th in scoring D, 26th in total D

2014 Colts - 12th in pass D, 18th in run D, 19th in scoring D, 26th in total D

Things to note:

1. He has never ranked top 10 in total D (his best has been 13th) and he has had the 26th ranked total defense every year while with the Colts

2. Huge regression in scoring D from 2009 to 2010, and 2013 to 2014

3. He has never ranked top 10 in pass D, with this past year being his best performance

4. He had back to back years with the 6th ranked run defense in San Fran in 2009 and 2010.  In 2011, the 49ers were the #1 ranked run D, giving up 77.2 yards per game (2nd place was the Ravens with 92.6 ypg).  So those 6th place rankings could very well have been because of great players rather than great schemes.

5. Out of 32 possible top-10 rankings, Manusky has 4 in his career

I don't know how much of our defense is Pagano and how much of it is Manusky, but Manusky doesn't really have a lot of support from these rankings.