Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Manusky

SilentHill

Thanks for taking some time to post a thoughtful and appeasing post.

While I agree on most of this I still think Manusky is NOT the guy to get the players to do what they are supposed to...and I don't think he's the guy that can get the most out of them either. 

I agree we need to get bigger up front for sure and we definitely need another solid FS/S player. I think Manusky blitzed like about the 3rd/4th most in the NFL...and a lot of reason for that is because of how small we are up front and couldn't get pressure without blitzing. We do have some good players on defense and I think with a new coaching staff on the defensive side and some FA/Draft pickups we could improve tremendously.

AND...for the record I do think there is a 50/50 chance Manusky will be let go.

true , thats why chargers  fire him . 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. Thanks for that info. I am not a Colts fan, but I always assumed that Mora's rant about "Playoffs" was what got him fired. He seemed to embarrass Manning with that rant.

Nope the defense was so bad under Fango here that Polian told Mora to fire Fango and get a new DC and they would let Mora stay but Mora said no so they fired Mora too and brought in Dungy. 

LOL. Besides Davis, I don't know what you think we have out there that would have made any other DC look better. At the end of the day, the PATS just had more talent than us. We could've had the best DC of all time on our sideline, we just don't have the personnel to match them right now.

Our offense hung the D out to dry. They were on the field for 40 minutes in that game. Luck was awful Boom had 2 very costly drops. Luck missed Nicks running free down the middle of the field and constantly threw the ball high and behind our WR's.

I am not sure what Pep's game plan was. We could not move the ball or sustain drives. It is the same old story with NE. Then everyone points at the D because they score so many points but it is 3 phases and the other 2 phases did absolutely nothing to help out our D. There is not a D in the league that is going to be on the field for 40 mins of a football game and not wear down.

The start of the game Blount had 7 carries for 19 yards as the turnovers and 3 and outs mounted so did the Pats O Line and running game. We started missing tackles going for the strip instead of the stop. Everything fell apart.

It was the same old thing to me vs the Pats we had chances early to make it a game Boom can't catch the ball. The dump off pass he might still be running and then the long ball totally mistimed the ball. Luck missed Nicks on a splash play had him wide open. Then the 51 yard fg attempt really what was that? We had chances to make this a game and could not execute. That is on the players.

We need help on both sides of the ball for sure. We should get some in the draft and hopefully a couple of FA's sprinkled in. We were one game away from the Super Bowl all is not lost.

We need to get better. We will and we will be in the mix for the years to come. It takes patience you can't go out a pay for every name on the market and build a team that is going to compete for the long haul. It was a great season. It stinks it had to end like this but that is what happened.

shouldn't all offensive coordinators be defensive coordinators....and shouldn't all defensive coordinators be offensive coordinators??

I mean because think about it deeply...if they are defensive coordinator and they know defense so well they'd really be better at offensive coordinator because they know all about the defense and how to outwit them right?? LOL!!

I hope we make some change at DC...I really really do.

Manusky could have called a better game, but it's not why we loss. We loss because the Patriots have better players and Belichick as their coach. Vontae is the only elite player on defense, the Patriots have about 6 all pros and the other 5 are still above average. It's the roster more so then the coaches. Walden, Toler, Landry, Jackson, Werner, Freeman, Chapman, and RJF are all average or below average players. They all need to be upgraded.

I usually don't get on the Fire this or that person thing, but you do have to kind of wonder what the problem really is when you put heavy focus on stopping the run against a team that does the same stuff each and every time and yet you still can't stop it.  This is even after this team has demonstrated that they are a capable run defense against everyone else.  And then the real kicker was Jonas Gray got in the game and did absolutely nothing!  We got beat down again by Legarett Blount who doesn't do a whole lot against anybody else except for the Colts.  Maybe it's our personnel, but I just get the feeling it's deeper than that......

Manusky could have called a better game, but it's not why we loss. We loss because the Patriots have better players and Belichick as their coach. Vontae is the only elite player on defense, the Patriots have about 6 all pros and the other 5 are still above average. It's the roster more so then the coaches. Walden, Toler, Landry, Jackson, Werner, Freeman, Chapman, and RJF are all average or below average players. They all need to be upgraded.

Wade Phillips or Fangio would be a substantial upgrade over Manusky.

He couldn't predict a pass to Edelman is only Brady and Edelman were on the field.

The Pats have a great QB and a great coachng staff. They basically ran all the Tom Moore / Peyton Manning Indy stuff, the stuff that saw Manning set dozens of records, here and in Denver. If it were so easy to solve, it would have been solved.

I usually don't get on the Fire this or that person thing, but you do have to kind of wonder what the problem really is when you put heavy focus on stopping the run against a team that does the same stuff each and every time and yet you still can't stop it.  This is even after this team has demonstrated that they are a capable run defense against everyone else.  And then the real kicker was Jonas Gray got in the game and did absolutely nothing!  We got beat down again by Legarett Blount who doesn't do a whole lot against anybody else except for the Colts.  Maybe it's our personnel, but I just get the feeling it's deeper than that......

the personal is a big part of it. When your front three get blown off the ball every play so it's pretty much 11 on 8 you are going to struggle.

Also the Colts offense did them little favors tonight only having one real sustained drive. When your defense is on the field for two thirds of the game you are in trouble.

the personal is a big part of it. When your front three get blown off the ball every play so it's pretty much 11 on 8 you are going to struggle.

Also the Colts offense did them little favors tonight only having one real sustained drive. When your defense is on the field for two thirds of the game you are in trouble.

Speaking of the offense, I want to know how we come into each and every one of these Pats contests with the same failed offensive strategy?  Abandon the running game after 2 or 3 attempts, get one dimensional, hope Luck can bail us out and then Luck hangs himself in the attempt.  Herron had some good running lanes in the first half(he was averaging around 5 yards per carry).  I think if we show more resolve with the running game we could have opened more guys up in the passing game.  The short pass as well as the long pass.  I don't understand how we come into these rainy games thinking we need to pass the ball all night long.

Speaking of the offense, I want to know how we come into each and every one of these Pats contests with the same failed offensive strategy? Abandon the running game after 2 or 3 attempts, get one dimensional, hope Luck can bail us out and then Luck hangs himself in the attempt. Herron had some good running lanes in the first half(he was averaging around 5 yards per carry). I think if we show more resolve with the running game we could have opened more guys up in the passing game. The short pass as well as the long pass. I don't understand how we come into these rainy games thinking we need to pass the ball all night long.

when your down 24-7 when you get the ball to start the second half it makes it a little hard to stick with the ground game. Also on the first drive of the second half, which was a three and out they did try to run once out of the three plays. The next time they got the ball it was 31-7 with 3:09 left in the third quarter the run was kinda out the window at that point.

As for the first half they came out running but couldn't sustain a drive other than the scoring drive to really get anything going.

Honestly what really killed them was letting New England double up at the end of the half with the field goal and the TD out of lockerroom. The offense went from making it a one score game at 14-7 to the next time they really got the ball again being down 24-7.

when your down 24-7 when you get the ball to start the second half it makes it a little hard to stick with the ground game. Also on the first drive of the second half, which was a three and out they did try to run once out of the three plays. The next time they got the ball it was 31-7 with 3:09 left in the third quarter the run was kinda out the window at that point.

As for the first half they came out running but couldn't sustain a drive other than the scoring drive to really get anything going.

Honestly what really killed them was letting New England double up at the end of the half with the field goal and the TD out of lockerroom. The offense went from making it a one score game at 14-7 to the next time they really got the ball again being down 24-7.

I honestly thought we would come out in the second half after making some adjustments and cleaning some things up and shut down their running game, but boy was I wrong.  And to make it so bad the pass defense got worse too.   It just really was not a good perfomance tonight.

It kinda felt like it was going to be one of those nights when Cribbs screwed up that punt return.  It felt better after the D. Jackson interception, and the Tipton touchdown but everything went down hill from there.

I am not a Manusky fan.  Didn't like the hire.  That said, the type of defense he wants to run requires two edge rushers and inside LBs that can cover in space.  Imagine the Raves without Suggs, Dumervill, and slower LBs.  Until that is fixed, they will always have a problem against the Pats.

I honestly thought we would come out in the second half after making some adjustments and cleaning some things up and shut down their running game, but boy was I wrong.  And to make it so bad the pass defense got worse too.   It just really was not a good perfomance tonight.

again if your front three gets blown off the ball nearly all night and your offense keeps going three and out it doesn't matter what the coaches do to adjust you are in trouble. Sometimes the other team is just better and wins.

It kinda felt like it was going to be one of those nights when Cribbs screwed up that punt return.  It felt better after the D. Jackson interception, and the Tipton touchdown but everything went down hill from there.

yeah that Cribbs fumble was a killer, kinda fits the season. They turned the ball over way too much this year.

As easy as it is for people to blame the coaches for this debacle and the previous three under Coach Pagano, the fact is that the Patriots simply are in the Colts heads. Total self confidence exuded by each and every member of their team is what they always bring to each game because they truly believe they can handle the Colts physically. Meanwhile the Colts "hope" they will win, want to win, are anxious to win. But, until all 53 players on the squad truly BELIEVES they can beat this team, this will not stop. The current coaching staff still haven't been able to correct this problem. The Patriots players aren't bigger than any other team that the Colts play, the scheme isn't any more superior to any other schemes the Colts have faced. The MENTAL aspect of the game is THE most underrated aspect of how the Patriots continue to dominate this team the way they have. 

Additionally, the Colts response to these losses aren't very conducive to remedy the situation. They just accept that they are the inferior team and throw all the cliches about how the Patriots just out-played them, or explain what the Patriots do to make them play bad. Mentally tough teams or people, for that matter, don't do that. Winners talk like they believe in themselves even after they lose. And they also believe that eventually, they are gonna beat the enemy down somehow, some way. Until these Colts, staff included, get like the kid who gets tired of the bully taking his lunch-money EVERY freakin' day, and get mad and punch that bully in the mouth HARD, the bully will just continue to lose respect for the kid and bullies him more. The bully doesn't stop bullying until the kid punches the hell out of them and makes them back off. Then, the tables turn. Once the bully gets that fat lip or bloody nose, he starts hesitating a bit, starts making mistakes. Then, the lil kid gets on top and starts pounding and pounding the bully for all the times he was bullied in the past until the final gun sounds. Its a positive emotional state.This helps feed the driving motivating force that gets them over the top. They can do it. They just need to recognize the mental aspects and work hard to remedy it.

As easy as it is for people to blame the coaches for this debacle and the previous three under Coach Pagano, the fact is that the Patriots simply are in the Colts heads. Total self confidence exuded by each and every member of their team is what they always bring to each game because they truly believe they can handle the Colts physically. Meanwhile the Colts "hope" they will win, want to win, are anxious to win. But, until all 53 players on the squad truly BELIEVES they can beat this team, this will not stop. The current coaching staff still haven't been able to correct this problem. The Patriots players aren't bigger than any other team that the Colts play, the scheme isn't any more superior to any other schemes the Colts have faced. The MENTAL aspect of the game is THE most underrated aspect of how the Patriots continue to dominate this team the way they have. 

Additionally, the Colts response to these losses aren't very conducive to remedy the situation. They just accept that they are the inferior team and throw all the cliches about how the Patriots just out-played them, or explain what the Patriots do to make them play bad. Mentally tough teams or people, for that matter, don't do that. Winners talk like they believe in themselves even after they lose. And they also believe that eventually, they are gonna beat the enemy down somehow, some way. Until these Colts, staff included, get like the kid who gets tired of the bully taking his lunch-money EVERY freakin' day, and get mad and punch that bully in the mouth HARD, the bully will just continue to lose respect for the kid and bullies him more. The bully doesn't stop bullying until the kid punches the hell out of them and makes them back off. Then, the tables turn. Once the bully gets that fat lip or bloody nose, he starts hesitating a bit, starts making mistakes. Then, the lil kid gets on top and starts pounding and pounding the bully for all the times he was bullied in the past until the final gun sounds. Its a positive emotional state.This helps feed the driving motivating force that gets them over the top. They can do it. They just need to recognize the mental aspects and work hard to remedy it.

Finally!This man is the winner.I am sitting here shaking my head with a smile reading all these comments from all these people that think they know so much and I'm sitting here thinking to myself this whole time"not one person on this board has considered that most of it is mental"?I'll just say it,Colts fear the patriots.What?You guys really thought that just because they are pro players that they cant get rattled?You really think the past losses(about a gazillion of them)to the patriots has no effect on their psyche?

See, its ok if we at this message board think/say things like"oh crap,its the patriots"but its not ok if the colts players think that way.If they do then they have already lost.And I'm guessing that they do.These players have it in their heads that they are supposed to lose to these guys.Cant beat these guys.Sure we actually do need better players but the pats are not doing a damn thing special at all.Really.They have had much better teams on the field.

While the OP gave no good reasons (heck, no reasons at all LOL) I mean the Colts need to make some defensive strides...something they failed to do miserably with Peyton Manning's teams.

We have been sub-par to say the least in almost every single game defensively. We did super well against say Cincy and Denver this year but otherwise not much to speak of. We have some key players I think such as Davis (especially), Redding, Jones, and hopefully Mathis next year (but I won't hold my breath on his performance). We've had some key pickups I think in Mike Adams and D'Qwell Jackson (despite what a lot say). 

We just need to make some defensive moves on the entire coaching staff side and definitely need to acquire a few good free agents.

I mean so much insight into this post...I am going to be up all night pondering this.

it's self explanatory. If you can't see why he needs to go, then get out of this thread.

Our offense hung the D out to dry. They were on the field for 40 minutes in that game. Luck was awful Boom had 2 very costly drops. Luck missed Nicks running free down the middle of the field and constantly threw the ball high and behind our WR's.

I am not sure what Pep's game plan was. We could not move the ball or sustain drives. It is the same old story with NE. Then everyone points at the D because they score so many points but it is 3 phases and the other 2 phases did absolutely nothing to help out our D. There is not a D in the league that is going to be on the field for 40 mins of a football game and not wear down.

The start of the game Blount had 7 carries for 19 yards as the turnovers and 3 and outs mounted so did the Pats O Line and running game. We started missing tackles going for the strip instead of the stop. Everything fell apart.

It was the same old thing to me vs the Pats we had chances early to make it a game Boom can't catch the ball. The dump off pass he might still be running and then the long ball totally mistimed the ball. Luck missed Nicks on a splash play had him wide open. Then the 51 yard fg attempt really what was that? We had chances to make this a game and could not execute. That is on the players.

We need help on both sides of the ball for sure. We should get some in the draft and hopefully a couple of FA's sprinkled in. We were one game away from the Super Bowl all is not lost.

We need to get better. We will and we will be in the mix for the years to come. It takes patience you can't go out a pay for every name on the market and build a team that is going to compete for the long haul. It was a great season. It stinks it had to end like this but that is what happened.

WHAT?????

This is so laughable I wont even articulate a response.

It's not just the Patriots. Manusky has been bad for a long time now. This past game just pushes it over the edge.

Polian supplied Fangio with garbage - Rob Morris, Chad Cota, etc.  He has clearly proven he can coach.  John Pagano was also on that staff.  Coaching wasn't the issue. 

Of course, truth be told, Grigson has also supplied Manusky with garbage, but it's time to shake things up somehow. 

As a Charger fan, it was mind blowing to me that someone gave this guy an opportunity as DC so quick after his terrible tenure in SD.

This guy is awful and should not be a DC in the NFL.

Agreed 100%. Not sure how he's kept he job this long, there is no reason for this team to consistently have bad defenses year after year.

Beating the Patriots is more about talent than scheme right now

Exactly.

This has very little to do with this specific Patriots game, It has more to do with the Pittsburgh game, Every NE game played since 2012, the Dallas game, both playoff games last year, etc.