Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom Herron's performance today

Nesjan3

He doesn't keep it tucked in tight. It's all out by his side in his hand, easy to strip. He learns to keep that ball ticked tight and cut down on the fumbles he's a keeper

I think he's still a keeper lol rather keep him than Trent at least he helps us get down the field.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because one fumble, just like one bad interception from Luck, does not negate the exceptional play the rest of the game. He had 141 total yards, 10 receptions, and looked like Ahmad Bradshaw in pass protection.

I believe that to be apples and oranges.  I do recognize that he caught and ran the ball well, but those two fumbles just can't happen.  It is not like this is a rare thing for him, he does it too often.  I hope he gets it cleaned up, like Tiki Baber did, and continues to do the positive things that he can do.

Right. Boom probably isn't on the active roster without Ballard getting hurt, Rainey getting cut... and then Bradshaw going to IR opened up room for Boom to get regular reps.

It's January. Everyone has injuries.

I agree it's not our fault our backup stepped up and theirs did not oh wellll

Boom and Tiki are a VERY good comparison ...     Tiki may have been a bit faster but they both like to drop the ball.

I believe that to be apples and oranges.  I do recognize that he caught and ran the ball well, but those two fumbles just can't happen.  It is not like this is a rare thing for him, he does it too often.  I hope he gets it cleaned up, like Tiki Baber did, and continues to do the positive things that he can do.

I feel like the other poster was saying the staff wanted to keep playing Trent, and that's why Boom wasn't getting used as much. I may have misunderstood.

I also think Trent was benched in the Chiefs game last year after he fumbled. They had already been starting Donald Brown late in the season. I could be wrong about the Chiefs game, though...

Your right on last year. Trent had an early fumble in that Chiefs game and that was it for him. Maybe 2 more touches that game and the NE game. Will be interesting to see who backs up Boom next week. 

Your right on last year. Trent had an early fumble in that Chiefs game and that was it for him. Maybe 2 more touches that game and the NE game. Will be interesting to see who backs up Boom next week. 

Because of his protection, I think Trent will still play the third down role. But Tipton ran strong today, also.

I honestly think Trent is done in Indy barring injury (this year).        He was dressed and helmet on standing by the "staff" .. .   

No play....          Thank God...    he is just an average player.     I find it comical the staff decides to do it NOW?

But oh well, better late than never.

Boom played well. He was major part of offense with some nifty runs and solid catches out of the backfield.  He needs to clean up his game by not putting the ball on the turf.  Tipton got some valuable experience and can give us extra partner for Herron. Remains to be seen whether we are going to see much from TRich. I am assuming he was too sick to play today.

hope trent keeps the flu to himself

Titpton and Boon should be the duo the rest of the way with Trent only playing if someone gets hurt then this off-season release Trent look for a new back.

I like boom but he fumbles way too much. Two fumbles (even if you get one back) is way too much in a playoff game. Those will off set the good he's done. I wouldn't be shocked if Tipton starts Sunday.

I agree they can't happen against good teams, well the second didn't happen, but I think it's wrong to say he didn't play well because of the fumble. It's a problem but he played a heck of a game otherwise.

Bottom line hold on to the ball.  He hasn't all year.  He is so talented  but the fumble today could have killed us it was a two possession fumble they got the ball right before the half and again to start the second half.  Think about what that would have meant against a really good team!  

Hey! New user here but I'm not new to this forum. I have been coming here and reading this forum for the past 9-10 yrs now. I'm a die hard Colts fan and I love reading in on everyones opinion and all the info/articles posted but some of you never cease to amaze me.

Y'all must really have something against Trich. Do some of you know him personally? Lol.. I'm trying to figure out why everyone thinks Boom had such a great game bc he did not in no way shape or form. Some of you might say "oh he averaged 4.7 ypc." I'm not impressed. We played pass first and not only that we put a priotity on the pass game. After 6 straight pass plays Boom took the first run of the game,perfectly blocked I might add, for 27 yards. Take that one perfectly blocked toss away and he had 11 carries for 29 yards coming to a measly 2.6 ypc. Let's fast forward to the 3rd qtr where we were passing all over them at will. Boom had back to back 9 yard runs.. Now let's take those out of the equation: 9 carries for 11 yards coming to a pathetic 1.2 ypc.

I'm sorry but if you wanna say he had 10 catches I really don't know what to tell you other than you shouldn't be in the NFL if you can't catch 10 check down passes lol. And for those of you that think he picked up blocks good I say otherwise. I saw more than a couple of plays where he missed simple pick up blocks and one where he nearly got our franchise qb killed. This kid comes in a couple weeks ago, broke off a 60 yard run and now he should be our franchise back? C'mon man.

Boom literally could have cost us the game. We should have pulled away before the half. Instead Boom made it a game at the half. The dude is a fumbling machine. There's no way he should be our starting back in the playoffs. If we lose,we are out, done! I see potential, yes, but that's it. I don't think you can put the blame on Trich for our horrible run game. Trich had some good games at the beginning of the season. I don't see how the blame is not solely on the offensive line.. People here really just hate Trich. The only argument I can see anyone here even attempting is "do you think trent could have broke that 60 yarders?" No! Trent is not a speed back, he is a power back. Not to mention people, defenses and coaches know when trents in the backfield. We attempted to be a run first team. Teams expected and knew when trent was gonna run. How do I know? Bc I knew when he was going to run so I know dang well professionals did too. Power back need their 15-20 carries to bust out yards and wear down defenses. Trent never got that.

Please beat me up and down because I know it's coming. Like I said I've been reading for a long time but Boom DID NOT have a good game.

Hey! New user here but I'm not new to this forum. I have been coming here and reading this forum for the past 9-10 yrs now. I'm a die hard Colts fan and I love reading in on everyones opinion and all the info/articles posted but some of you never cease to amaze me.

Y'all must really have something against Trich. Do some of you know him personally? Lol.. I'm trying to figure out why everyone thinks Boom had such a great game bc he did not in no way shape or form. Some of you might say "oh he averaged 4.7 ypc." I'm not impressed. We played pass first and not only that we put a priotity on the pass game. After 6 straight pass plays Boom took the first run of the game,perfectly blocked I might add, for 27 yards. Take that one perfectly blocked toss away and he had 11 carries for 29 yards coming to a measly 2.6 ypc. Let's fast forward to the 3rd qtr where we were passing all over them at will. Boom had back to back 9 yard runs.. Now let's take those out of the equation: 9 carries for 11 yards coming to a pathetic 1.2 ypc.

I'm sorry but if you wanna say he had 10 catches I really don't know what to tell you other than you shouldn't be in the NFL if you can't catch 10 check down passes lol. And for those of you that think he picked up blocks good I say otherwise. I saw more than a couple of plays where he missed simple pick up blocks and one where he nearly got our franchise qb killed. This kid comes in a couple weeks ago, broke off a 60 yard run and now he should be our franchise back? C'mon man.

Boom literally could have cost us the game. We should have pulled away before the half. Instead Boom made it a game at the half. The dude is a fumbling machine. There's no way he should be our starting back in the playoffs. If we lose,we are out, done! I see potential, yes, but that's it. I don't think you can put the blame on Trich for our horrible run game. Trich had some good games at the beginning of the season. I don't see how the blame is not solely on the offensive line.. People here really just hate Trich. The only argument I can see anyone here even attempting is "do you think trent could have broke that 60 yarders?" No! Trent is not a speed back, he is a power back. Not to mention people, defenses and coaches know when trents in the backfield. We attempted to be a run first team. Teams expected and knew when trent was gonna run. How do I know? Bc I knew when he was going to run so I know dang well professionals did too. Power back need their 15-20 carries to bust out yards and wear down defenses. Trent never got that.

Please beat me up and down because I know it's coming. Like I said I've been reading for a long time but Boom DID NOT have a good game.

Welcome aboard. Awful, awful first post. You should fit in well here.

Just for some that like stats and visuals here's Boom's 12 carries.

1st quarter

1 - 27 yards

2 - 3 yards

3 - 2 yards

2nd quarter

4 - 2 yards

5 - 0 yards

3rd quarter

6 - 1 yards

7 - 9 yards

8 - 9 yards

9 - 1 yards

10- 4 yards

11- 1 yards

12- (-)3 yards

As you can see if you take away his first run you don't even get trich's 3 yards that everyone complains about. Idk about y'all but I would take a reliable trich over Boom anyday.

I hope this comes out the way I want it.. If the numbers are all over please delete!

1st quarter
1 - 27 yards
2 - 3 yards
3 - 2 yards
2nd quarter
4 - 2 yards
5 - 0 yards
3rd quarter
6 - 1 yards
7 - 9 yards
8 - 9 yards
9 - 1 yards
10- 4 yards
11- 1 yards
12- (-)3 yards

As you can see if you take away his first run you don't even get trich's 3 yards that everyone complains about. Idk about y'all but I would take a reliable trich over Boom anyday.

I hope this comes out the way I want it.. If the numbers are all over please delete!

You should look up the definition of the word "average" in "average yards per carry". You don't take away carries to support your argument.

Numbers don't lie my friend. If you take away that one carry would we be having this conversation on how good Boom is? Especially when the offensive line had one of their best performances all season. You don't even have an argument. You're bashing the poster w nothing to back it up.

He had a great game but the fumble could have cost us big - we had a chance to go up 20-7 at half instead it ended up being 13-10.... IMO the second fumble wasnt a fumble, either way he is going to have to hold onto the ball next week if we are going to win in Denver.

Numbers don't lie my friend. If you take away that one carry would we be having this conversation on how good Boom is? Especially when the offensive line had one of their best performances all season. You don't even have an argument. You're bashing the poster w nothing to back it up.

Your argument is to take away carries in order to shape the numbers to support your shoddy argument, yet you say "numbers don't lie". That's hilarious.

What is your argument anyway? That TR would have average 3.1 YPC in this game which would have been a higher average than Boom if you take away Boom's 3 best carries?

It's also ridiculous how you ignore his 10 receptions with "well all RBs can catch, heh". Also, his pass blocking was great, despite what your wildly biased eyes think they saw.

He has talent that's obvious, but like everyone else has already said, He just has to hold on to the football. If he can stop fumbling he and whoever we bring in through the draft or FA will make a very good 1-2 punch. I'm hoping we pair him with Tevin Coleman, then keep T-Rich as the 3rd string back.

Great performance by him minus the fumbles, if he can clean that issue up he is a keeper. Luck was looking down field all day for the big play and if it wasn't there he dumped it off to Boom and he gained nice yards, he always makes the first guy miss. He also ran well, we better not let this guy go. Also I wonder if Trents no show was because of illness or now at crunch time the coaches are finally moving away from him.

I like Boom much better than Trent (and apparently, so does the coaching staff).   With that said:

Start a thread regarding the thieves that stole Christmas from the Lions.  Worst overturn I can remember.  TOTALLY DISGUSTED!  The NFL has some explaining to do.

I like Boom much better than Trent (and apparently, so does the coaching staff).   With that said:

Start a thread regarding the thieves that stole Christmas from the Lions.  Worst overturn I can remember.  TOTALLY DISGUSTED!  The NFL has some explaining to do.

Link? I never seen the game what happened?

I'm hoping we sit Trent for the Denver game again.  I like how Boom was running out there minus his fumbles, and I totally enjoyed the way Tipton got stronger and stronger with each carry.  I also loved how we are finally running off of the left side of the line towards Mewhort and Costanzo instead of the majority going to the right where Cherilus used to be.  I also loved the utilization of the short passing game just like I suggested in several posts before the game happened.

It seemed to me even in the Colts game vs the Cowboys that their referees are very heavy handed with the flags, and were coming up with phantom calls out of no where.  That was total pass interference in on the Dallas defender and the refs called it, and mysteriously turned around and reversed it with no explanation.  

1st quarter

1 - 27 yards

2 - 3 yards

3 - 2 yards

2nd quarter

4 - 2 yards

5 - 0 yards

3rd quarter

6 - 1 yards

7 - 9 yards

8 - 9 yards

9 - 1 yards

10- 4 yards

11- 1 yards

12- (-)3 yards

Richardson is reliable...for not producing, he's a RB pass blocker these days

The way Andrew and Boom played today was like having Ahmad back. The check downs were great. I really like Boom but needs to hold onto that ball for dear life. Tipton looked very promising.

Yeah, it seemed they finally got back to the offense earlier in the season when Bradshaw was healthy. Better late than never.

Yes he has talent that's forsure but to say he had a great game is iffy at best. He had one explosive play. Y'alls hope for a running back and run game has y'all blind to the fact.

I liked that you provided evidence to prove your point which was nice but did you realize besides the fumble how often when we needed a play BOOM helped out either running for a first or Catching the ball..Come on the best thing we ever hear out of T-Rich is "Nice Block" cuz you know he can't do anything else lmao

I liked that you provided evidence to prove your point which was nice but did you realize besides the fumble how often when we needed a play BOOM helped out either running for a first or Catching the ball..Come on the best thing we ever hear out of T-Rich is "Nice Block" cuz you know he can't do anything else lmao

Boom had a very nice game today and frankly it was refreshing to see a Colts back doing it on the ground this season and I think the fact that Brown, Bradshaw, Ballard, Boom and even Tipton have done something behind the Colts line since Grigson got here has all but sealed Trent's fate as it's clear he's just not going to work at the NFL level at least not here.

With that all said I don't want to minimize that fumble.  That fumble was nearly extremely costly.  The Colts looked to be driving to maybe go up 20-7 at the half and while maybe not ending the game really putting the pressure on the Bengals.  However, the fumble allowed the Bengals to go come back down and get three points and make it only a 3 point game at the half and the Bengals got the ball to start the second half.  Had we been playing a team that's offense hadn't been depleted due to injury the Colts could have very easily found themselves behind in a game they should have been in complete control of. 

I want to be clear here that this is a general response as I don't know if your intent was to down play the fumble or not but I've several people just kinda dismiss it in this thread and I am not sure it's realized just how costly that fumble could have been.  Those are the things you do against Denver or New England or the Ravens for that matter that will get the Colts beat.  It's also plays like that that make coaches stick with guys like Trent or maybe even start Tipton on Sunday. 

What? Fumbles and no one rushed for 100 yards. Great performances... We played the Bengals. Next week we'll see what we really are as a playoff team.

Just curious.....   but are you at all happy with the fact that the Colts won today?

I've read a number of your posts and you don't seem the least bit pleased with today's win.

Your posts read like this:      We won.   Big deal, we played the Bengals.   We'll lose next week against Denver."

That's the tone of your posts.  

Can't you enjoy today?

He played a great game but the fumbles and they always seem to at the worst tine thankfully Cinny couldn't capiluze but he can't put it on the ground in Denver and everyone knows he fumbles so they will be looking to strip him. It's concerning