Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom Herron's performance today

Nesjan3

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh but you do know during the regular season trent has 2 fumbles and boom has "2" fumbles and now an additional one in the playoffs where he was punched in the groin area? I mean you make it seem as if Trent protects the ball like no1 ever he does not ball of our rbs this year have struggled to hold the ball it's just two out of the 3 actually do something positive other than BLOCKING... But yeah 1 additional fumble better run after the catch better catching skills and running the ball period is worse than a guy who also fumbles who can't run who can rarely catch the ball (despite being great after the catch when he actually CATCHES) and its nothing more than a 6th olinemen on the field. I love his blocking but other than that he's trash

i never said trent was better and if u really think trent is the same a boom fumbling wise then wow thats all am saying

I have not seen that.  He has better acceleration and he is a better fit for the Colts man blocking scheme and the way Pep calls running plays but there really isn't anything in Boom's game that makes me think he's superior to Trich as a running back.

Put Trich in a good zone blocking team that actually commits to running the ball before they have a two score lead (like the Colts from 2000-2006) and he's a 1400-1500 yard back.

Every other RB played this year didn't seem to have a problem with the blocking scheme, except for Trent and the reason why? He hesitates too much behind the line.  Boom has more acceleration, but dancing behind the line does no favors regardless of scheme.   Bradshaw, Boom and a small sample size of Tipton showed that none of them had a problem running behind our line.  Man or zone, if we have to do that much to accommodate Richardson, it's not worth it and can get better results from someone else, looking like anyone else on this team.  I am not saying Boom is the answer at RB, especially as a starter, but currently he is running the ball better.    His fumbles are worrisome, especially in the playoffs, but proving he can pass block gives this team no reason to start Richardson.  Although I would like to see more of Tipton, especially if he can protect the ball better.   Fact is, this season has shown that Richardson just isn't what this team needs and it's time to move on and accept the fact that the trade was a mistake. 

Every other RB played this year didn't seem to have a problem with the blocking scheme, except for Trent and the reason why? He hesitates too much behind the line.  Boom has more acceleration, but dancing behind the line does no favors regardless of scheme.   Bradshaw, Boom and a small sample size of Tipton showed that none of them had a problem running behind our line.  Man or zone, if we have to do that much to accommodate Richardson, it's not worth it and can get better results from someone else, looking like anyone else on this team.  I am not saying Boom is the answer at RB, especially as a starter, but currently he is running the ball better.    His fumbles are worrisome, especially in the playoffs, but proving he can pass block gives this team no reason to start Richardson.  Although I would like to see more of Tipton, especially if he can protect the ball better.   Fact is, this season has shown that Richardson just isn't what this team needs and it's time to move on and accept the fact that the trade was a mistake. 

A couple of things:

1. I did not blame the line for TRich, I don't think he's a good fit for the blocking scheme.
  2. And it is incorrect to say all the other running backs have ran fine behind the line, every running back has had problems running behind the Colts line this year.
  3. I never said the Colts should change their blocking scheme to accommodate Richardson, only that he is not a good fit for the blocking scheme.
  4. I do find it funny that Trich gets 3.6 ypc and it's proof he's not what the team needs, Tipton gets 3.6 ypc and it's proof he needs to see more touches.

Conversations would be much easier if you responded to what I write, rather than jumping to conclusions about what YOU think I mean and then responding to your own (in this case) incorrect conclusions.

I have not seen that.  He has better acceleration and he is a better fit for the Colts man blocking scheme and the way Pep calls running plays but there really isn't anything in Boom's game that makes me think he's superior to Trich as a running back.

Put Trich in a good zone blocking team that actually commits to running the ball before they have a two score lead (like the Colts from 2000-2006) and he's a 1400-1500 yard back.

No offense, but I think your are the only that hasn't seen it. Agree to disagree I guess

A couple of things:

1. I did not blame the line for TRich, I don't think he's a good fit for the blocking scheme.
  2. And it is incorrect to say all the other running backs have ran fine behind the line, every running back has had problems running behind the Colts line this year.
  3. I never said the Colts should change their blocking scheme to accommodate Richardson, only that he is not a good fit for the blocking scheme.
  4. I do find it funny that Trich gets 3.6 ypc and it's proof he's not what the team needs, Tipton gets 3.6 ypc and it's proof he needs to see more touches.

Conversations would be much easier if you responded to what I write, rather than jumping to conclusions about what YOU think I mean and then responding to your own (in this case) incorrect conclusions.

I think it's funny you used Richardson's  3.6 ypc from Cleveland and not his 3.3 and 2.9 from the years here.  

No offense, but I think your are the only that hasn't seen it. Agree to disagree I guess

No offense taken.  I'm used to seeing things in football that other people don't or not seeing things as the case may be.

It's possible I'm wrong.  I'm not a huge TRich fan and I thought the trade was a bad idea at the time.  I just don't think TRich is as bad as many on this board think he is and I don't think any RB wll look good when they get 3-6 runs a game.  Nor will I quickly dismiss Herron's fumbling problems just because Pagano gave him the game ball.  IN roughly half the carries Herron has twice as many fumbles as Trich and 3 times as many lost fumbles.  Put it all together and it does not show that Herron is superior to Richardson as a running back.

No offense taken. I'm used to seeing things in football that other people don't or not seeing things as the case may be.

It's possible I'm wrong. I'm not a huge TRich fan and I thought the trade was a bad idea at the time. I just don't think TRich is as bad as many on this board think he is and I don't think any RB wll look good when they get 3-6 runs a game. Nor will I quickly dismiss Herron's fumbling problems just because Pagano gave him the game ball. IN roughly half the carries Herron has twice as many fumbles as Trich and 3 times as many lost fumbles. Put it all together and it does not show that Herron is superior to Richardson as a running back.

I wouldn't even worry about it man. People on this board are so anti-trich that they don't even get what we are saying. I bet more than half of these people haven't even played organized football..

Wasn't it the second round of the playoffs last year when Trent had his breakout game of 3 carries for 2 yards and a fumble ? I don't see how you don't play him over Boom with a résumé like that.

Wrong thread, go back to your home.

I agree that Boom needs to work on ball security (duh.)  But with our two best RBs out, and TRich iffy even when healthy, I think the Colts have these 2 options: 

1.) You can run the ball, but you might have a fumble at some point in the game.

2.) You can't run the ball.

Don't hate just because I was right about Trent. I'm sure someday you will be right about something ..... Someday ..... Maybe.

I don't hate you or your opinion on Trent.  I believe that all but a select few know what Trent is and is not.  I just know that there is a Everything Trent thread where you have set up house, complete with a sofa and a refrigerator filled with dip for the chips and beer.  As Nadine said "don't turn this into a TR thread".  So I am merely requesting that you take your Trent comments back home and have a beer.

Edit:  And anyone else that wants to whine or defend Trent should go to that thread too.

Boom looks good, im more concerned with our pass happy play caller Pep Hamilton, at one point in the game we passed the ball 25 times to 3 runs, no balance at all,  and against the broncos we are going to need to run the ball!

Eh, the way I see that one, Pep merely acknowledged that we are having an EXTREMELY difficult time running the ball. 10 dump offs to Boom were merely an extension of the run game, IMO.  Sure, they were pass plays, but essentially Boom had 20+ carries as most starting RBs do, just that some of them were passes instead of handoffs.

Balance?  If you consider that a number of passes were dump offs and short throws, and a handful were down the field, I think that is the balance most teams look for.  Keep the defense honest and make them defend the long ball, but cut them up underneath with runs and short throws.

However you want to look at it, it worked and kept Luck relatively clean for most of the game.

I am not trying to make this a Boom vs. Trich battle. I just haven't seen enough to give up on trich and I haven't seen enough to give Boom all this praise. His performance was mediocre. I haven't seen a good runner all year besides Bradshaw. If there wasn't so much hate for trich on this bored I believe this thread would be the complete opposite. Are we really ready to give this rookie fumbling machine a chance to ruin our playoff run? Is he really that much better that he should be in there? Especially with how much we were passing yesterday? My answer is no.

so i guess 2 years of a 3.3 average ypc isnt enough for you?  Boom Herron has already shown an average of 4.5 ypc in his limited action in the regular season, he has much more upside.  Almost forgot you said Herron had a mediocre game so 10 catches for 85 yds, 12 car for 56 yds averaging 4.7 ypc and a TD is mediocre  :clap:

Seems to me if and when all are healthy we will have an abundance of good RB and a couple will get traded away. All except Richardson could start for many teams.

Yeah, reminds me of how New Orleans always has like 4-5 starting caliber running-backs on their squad. 

I wouldn't even worry about it man. People on this board are so anti-trich that they don't even get what we are saying. I bet more than half of these people haven't even played organized football..

Probably true.  And I will admit, I thought TRich would perform better this year and he has some issues but I just don't think it's all his fault, I think even a back like my favorite of all time, Edge, would look mediocre the way the Colts use their running backs.  So when you have a back like Trich, who is not on James' level he is going to look even worse.

Seems to me if and when all are healthy we will have an abundance of good RB and a couple will get traded away. All except Richardson could start for many teams.

There is no trade value with the backs who are signed. Trent has none, Ballard has none, and I think everyone else is currently on a 1 year deal.

I don't think counting on Boom is wise, he is still rather green. Ballard and Bradshaw always end up on IR and Tipton hasn't had enough playing time to evaluate.

Need to sign someone in the off season, because all the Colts have at the moment is a patchwork running game full of question marks.

Yeah man, people who disagree with me are dumb man. All these people who dislike TRich as a player like ex coaches, ex scouts, just don't understand what you are saying. They're haters man

As a running back/receiver I can say he has the raw tool's and potential out of this world. ... But his fundamentals crappy.... Any ball carrier should know three points of pressure, high and tight, and carry the ball in the arm closest to the sideline.... On the play where reggie Nelson striped him. .. He running to the left with the ball in his right hand and it was at his knees lol.... All that being said it's fixable just ask tikki Barber

so i guess 2 years of a 3.3 average ypc isnt enough for you? Boom Herron has already shown an average of 4.5 ypc in his limited action in the regular season, he has much more upside. Almost forgot you said Herron had a mediocre game so 10 catches for 85 yds, 12 car for 56 yds averaging 4.7 ypc and a TD is mediocre :clap:

That 4.5 ypc is bolstered by 2 long plays. If you take those away he averages 3.6 ypc. Now I am not trying to take away from Boom. I love that he has that potential. Trent doesn't have that break away speed as I stated before he is a power back. I'm just trying to point out that trents 3.3 ypc is bc of 2 years of horrible line plays.. One of the worst in the league at that. Anyone you put behind our line gets stumped behind the line or at 3 yards.

You want to bring up 10 catches? 10 dump offs? Some good stuff, yeah, but as I have stated before if you can't catch a dump off pass you shouldn't be in the nfl. Trent can also catch the ball just as well and people on this board have admitted he is good in space and needs more of these passes. He had 50 catches in his rookie year at Cleveland.

I also laugh at the fact that people here think Tipton performed at such a high level that he also derserves more carries than trent. He had 11 carries for 40 yards.. Thats 3.6 ypc.. At the end of the game when we had run their defense up and down field on every possession give or take 2 maybe 3. A defense that was tired and had no hope to win the game.

Once again my questions that you quoted were not answered. It immediately went straight to bashing trich. If Boom had those 2 fumbles against the Broncos or the pats we're done. Especially right before the half when they get the ball back after the the half. We should not experiment on an unproven rookie that is known to fumble in the playoffs. Save that for next season.

Same logic would say if you took away all Trent's gains for less then 3 yards he would be a top 10 back ......

The reality is the long runs happened.

Take Willie Parker for instance. He would pick up a couple yards, lose a couple, then bam, he would bust a 50 yard touchdown run. Trent never has that big run, ever. He can't even be counted on for short yardage situations.

He isn't a power back, he doesn't have any power. He just plods along and picks up 2 or 3 yards sometimes, and very rarely he will get an 8 yard carry and his supporters lose their minds over it. He doesn't run well out of any formations, he just plods along ....

He is great in space ...... So if he manages to run out and catch a ball when nobody is near him he can pick up some yards ? Amazing. I will have the HOF begin working on his bust right away.

That 4.5 ypc is bolstered by 2 long plays. If you take those away he averages 3.6 ypc. Now I am not trying to take away from Boom. I love that he has that potential. Trent doesn't have that break away speed as I stated before he is a power back. I'm just trying to point out that trents 3.3 ypc is bc of 2 years of horrible line plays.. One of the worst in the league at that. Anyone you put behind our line gets stumped behind the line or at 3 yards.

That's how YPC works. You average the good runs and the bad runs, and get a 4.5 YPC for Boom compared to a 3.6 with Trent. If you took away all of Barry Sanders' big runs, he would be a bum. With Trent, there are no big runs, and THAT's the problem. There is no upside with Trent. If he can run for more yards behind a better O-line, then so could Boom, however, with Boom you at least have a chance for a long TD. Not so much with Trent. 

You want to bring up 10 catches? 10 dump offs? Some good stuff, yeah, but as I have stated before if you can't catch a dump off pass you shouldn't be in the nfl. Trent can also catch the ball just as well and people on this board have admitted he is good in space and needs more of these passes. He had 50 catches in his rookie year at Cleveland.

I also laugh at the fact that people here think Tipton performed at such a high level that he also derserves more carries than trent. He had 11 carries for 40 yards.. Thats 3.6 ypc.. At the end of the game when we had run their defense up and down field on every possession give or take 2 maybe 3. A defense that was tired and had no hope to win the game.

Once again my questions that you quoted were not answered. It immediately went straight to bashing trich. If Boom had those 2 fumbles against the Broncos or the pats we're done. Especially right before the half when they get the ball back after the the half. We should not experiment on an unproven rookie that is known to fumble in the playoffs. Save that for next season.

Trent had 3 carries for 2 yards and a fumble in his only playoff appearance.

I think I would take my chances with Boom over Richardson.

Trent isn't gonna come on in the playoffs, guys claimed he would last season, and he didn't. He also never got it together in the regular season. Some members here were saying things like " get back to me after week 10 and see if Trent is still struggling", well he was and is still playing badly.

Trent isn't gonna help win a game, he never has and probably never will. Trent leads to punts, and punting to playoff teams is a bad thing. You wanna keep the ball away from Manning and Brady, not give them a minute to rest then send in the punter after 3 failed runs.

The Colts don't have a great defense, so they need to hold onto the ball as long as possible, Trent can't help.

Its do or die time, so you put Boom in and you hope he holds onto the ball because if he does then you will score. If Trent holds onto the ball then you will punt most likely.

Why are we carrying 4 running backs on the active roster now?

http://forums.colts.com/topic/34540-indianapolis-colts-make-roster-moves/#entry992530

With this signing of Michael Hill to the active roster. I'm wondering if T Rich or someone else will not be playing this Sunday?

I know we had Hill on the practice squad earlier this year.  Hard nose runner who is pretty strong, would make a good goal line running back, or short yardage guy if we go run heavy.  This move is interesting to me in some ways.

Who in their right mind would want to continue to stick with 3.3 Richardson when your other back consistently shows big play ability? This is the playoffs and we're about to face a big dog in the Broncos, we can not afford to be in 2nd or 3rd and long after every TR run, which is the inevitable if he's in. You have to go with the guy who has shown the ability to make plays and you hope that he will hold onto the ball. The risk vs reward with Boom heavily outweighs the lower risk vs virtually no reward Richardson brings.

You can yell until you're blue in the face that in a zone blocking system with a great line TR would be a good back, but the fact of the matter is he's not good here, he's not producing here, as a Colt and that's all that matters now. We can not afford to waste precious downs in the playoffs by handing the ball off to a back who, even when there is a hole, has shown us time after time he can not capitalize and maximize on the situation.

The coaches see it. Richardson didn't look all that sick to me and he got 1 snap last week. I'd be surprised if it's much different this week.